• 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Trade Deadline 2010
(07-23-2010, 01:14 PM)dejota Wrote: Is there something about wearing an Astros logo that automatically makes the rest of the league perceive you as complete an utter shit?.

Same thing I think about cleveland sports.
Nothing big... I think the next 6 days are gonna be pretty sick.

Haren, Oswalt, Dunn, Downs... gonna go
Oswalt better go, he may have monetary value to this franchise but as a fan I do care about winning at some point.
Houston Astros - 2012/2016/2023/2025 Champs!
Cumulative Record: 1894 - 1184 (.615%)
I'm hearing the Jays aren't really keen on moving Downs since he'll be a type A free agent.
(07-23-2010, 01:14 PM)dejota Wrote: I know Berkman isn't the 300+ 35+ 100+ guy he was before but he's certainly still has value yet on any team that needs a 1st basemen/OF/DH type he's way down on the list. Color me confused.

All comes down to contracts. Berkman is owed a shit ton of money that teams aren't willing to take on.
7M isn't that much is it? Most of the money is optional.
(07-26-2010, 01:40 AM)dejota Wrote: 7M isn't that much is it? Most of the money is optional.

7M is a pretty good chunk in today's market. Besides, how many serious contenders need a DH/1B to play everyday? Maybe a few, but probably not so desperately as to pay Ed Wade's asking price.

Dude is notoriously hard to deal with.
His reputation is mind boggling. He's supposedly a complete moron who makes only horrible trades, yet he's "notoriously hard to deal with"...which is it?

I think he's become a scapegoat for a lot of people and that's turned into mis perception. Every move he's made as our GM, when taken into context, is at worst a wash IMO. I'm not as familiar with his tenure as Phillies GM except for his notoriously nice job of drafting while he was there.

I think Berkman is the rare trade candidate ruined by his elias ranking (Type B currently and slipping). As of now whoever trades for him would have to give back at least the equivalent of a supplemental round pick.

If we picked up some of his salary, even more, since if we pay ALL of his salary that's the minimum return. Given Ed's draft history I'd imagine that'd it'd have to be a pretty solid prospect to convince him he couldn't do better himself next June. Consider the fact that the team who acquired Berkman also acquires his supplemental compensation pick.

So here we are, any GMs potentially interested will focus on only Berkman as the return yet Wade will have to consider the fact Berkman is projected to be a Type B currently. I don't envy Wade there, that's a lose/lose.
(07-26-2010, 12:24 PM)dejota Wrote: His reputation is mind boggling. He's supposedly a complete moron who makes only horrible trades, yet he's "notoriously hard to deal with"...which is it?

Well...nothing says he can't be both, lol.

As for the compensation - I don't think that's true at all. GMs know full well there is Type B compensation thrown around. I can only speak as a Twins fan, but Billy Smith talked about it all the time as we were initially in conversations about Cliff Lee.

I'm not personally judging Wade - I don't see the Astros as a well run franchise myself, but just speaking to the reputation I've heard about the guy. Fair or not.

In looking at his career - the Millwood/Estrada deal was a bad one, his Wagner deal was a good one, I think the Twins got the better of the Milton deal, Byrd deal wasn't very good, Lidge deal was pretty good. That's just at a glance, he doesn't seem like a bad GM.
(07-25-2010, 09:23 PM)Kobie Wrote: I'm hearing the Jays aren't really keen on moving Downs since he'll be a type A free agent.

I highly doubt he will be type A. How many non closer RPs are type A?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »