• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Handling Talent
Prospects continuing to jump at an alarming rate kills off veterans. We all know vets are rarely worth a shit past their early 30's. If the prospects aren't such a guarantee to become something or improving at such a high rate then vets won't be the ones being randomly dropped. It feels like killing off some players and lowering the caps a bit is only addressing half of the problem.
Cle

Cleveland Record5304-4625 (.534) [2054-2071, 2083-2104, 2110-2131]
AL Post: 15 (ALC), 11 (WC) - ALDS Win: 11 - ALCS Champ: 6 - WS Champ: 3

ALW: Mariners + Angels Record: 1072-864 (.554) [2042-2048, 2105-2110]
AL Post: 3 (ALW), 4 (WC) - ALDS Win: 3 - ALCS Champ: 1 - WS Champ: 1

NLW: Rockies + Padres Record: 3230-2753 (.540) [2017-2042, 2072-2082]
NL Post: 18 (NLW), 4 (WC) - NLDS Win: 7 - NLCS Champ: 4 - WS Champ: 0
Ya, the farm rankings need to be lowered, if you want this caps problem to help fix things. Lowering it one level for now won't hurt anything, honestly I wouldn't mind seeing it lowered a level this year, and in few mogul years lower it again, this will help fight off inflation of talent and help with the caps. And I was fine with lowering farm rankings back even when I was rebuilding, cause I know you can still develop guys.
I'm not sure how accurate the single season simulator is...but from making some observations during that - I think lowering the farm may be a bad move. What we've already done may kill hordes of specs. That could be inaccurate based on how the game does the simulator, but it's what I observed.
Wait we're lowering the budgets again?!
Oakland A's
2015-Current
(18 seasons)
1,340-1,577
74-.44-87.66
4 AL West titles
2 ALDS Series appearance
1 WS appearance
budgets aren't lowered?
I'm not sure that it would be the best choice. I didn't lower percent of 80s/90s peak players so there's a larger gap between the peak and overall. This alone will make more prospects trail off naturally, I think Andy may be right, if we also do this is might be overkill. The ultimate goal is to make this unnoticeable and, so far, only JHC has experienced random change to the point of being concerned it's related to mussing with talent. I think we should see how this plays out for a season first.
Houston Astros - 2012/2016/2023/2025 Champs!
Cumulative Record: 1894 - 1184 (.615%)
We should also be prepared that this may, temporarily, make the talent disparity even worse. Meaning the best teams may stay on top for a long time until the game flushes it's talent properly.
(07-13-2011, 06:02 PM)AndyP Wrote: We should also be prepared that this may, temporarily, make the talent disparity even worse. Meaning the best teams may stay on top for a long time until the game flushes it's talent properly.

This was my fear and concern as well Andy. Don't get me wrong, I like winning but I also would like to see new teams challenge and compete. It was a good thing last season to see NYM get the WC in the NL after a few years abscence and CHW win the AL Central. We need more of that in the league.
Cubs GM 2010-2021
2017 & 2019 World Champions
LAA GM 2022-2035
2028, 2029, 2032 and 2034 World Champions
(07-13-2011, 06:52 PM)GoIrish Wrote:
(07-13-2011, 06:02 PM)AndyP Wrote: We should also be prepared that this may, temporarily, make the talent disparity even worse. Meaning the best teams may stay on top for a long time until the game flushes it's talent properly.

This was my fear and concern as well Andy. Don't get me wrong, I like winning but I also would like to see new teams challenge and compete. It was a good thing last season to see NYM get the WC in the NL after a few years abscence and CHW win the AL Central. We need more of that in the league.

Agreed.

We were talking on the board today that we may end up having to choose the lesser of two evils at some point:

Too much talent
Erratic prospect development/poor ability for teams to rebuild

I honestly think we may end up reversing our current decisions in the long run, but I think right now we have to at least see if we can slow them down. This year and next will speak a lot to what we have to do with this file (And Clay's dumbass coding) to make this sustainable and fun.
I think this makes life easier on those players. Ideally the agents take note of which positions become more scarce and tighten up demands and if veterans keep dropping quickly (not nec. my opinion just saying) then it should make it more difficult than ever to maintain talent and we should hopefully stop seeing guys play out most of their contracts as an above average player.

I guess what I'm getting at is I think having too much talent makes rebuilding much more difficult in the long run so i do not understand where the sentiment that we're making life more difficult on GMs is coming from. The entire thought process on my end is to make it easier for them.

League A: 4 90s players and 17 80s players on your average team
Leabue B: 3 90s players and 12 80s players on your average team

It would seem to me hands down League B is preferable to a rebuilding team.
Houston Astros - 2012/2016/2023/2025 Champs!
Cumulative Record: 1894 - 1184 (.615%)
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »