Poll: How should we handle re-signings/extensions?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
No Changes
40.00%
4 40.00%
+10% contract demands & 80+ overall/arby players must go to arbitration
30.00%
3 30.00%
+20% contract demands & 80+ overall/arby players must go to arbitration
10.00%
1 10.00%
Other (Explain)
20.00%
2 20.00%
Total 10 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to handle Re-signings
I like the idea, I wonder how practical it is. It would have to occur at one set time so that we aren't having to chase down a panel a couple times every sim or something.
I don't like it simply because even if it was only once a year we'd still be inundated with unrealistic requests. The established status quo already isn't ideal but we'd be basing future awards off of that.

Additionally, wouldn't that upset GMs who weren't approved for extensions? The point is to practically eliminate those contracts, at least as far as I'm concerned and before increasing their value is (the point). By forcing players through the arbitration system in place you would have the same effect without a panel and more effort.
Houston Astros - 2012/2016/2023/2025 Champs!
Cumulative Record: 1894 - 1184 (.615%)
by the time the fifth year rolls around you just put the 3 year contract cap on it again and all is pretty much done. These contracts aren't unrealistic - there are a ton of players signed to them right now in the league or have signed them in the past (think Ryan Braun) It's just they don't get signed until the 4th or 5th years of arbitration typically.

As a Twins fan I see these contracts all the time - Span, Blackburn, Kubel, Cuddy a few years ago, Morneau a few years ago, Mauer a few years ago, Baker, Crain, etc. I'm not sure why these deals are such a bane of some people's existence - if you just throw in the 5th year of arby clause it's all settled in my eyes.
I would concur. And it's the effects it has on other areas (namely free agency and the economy on a whole to a lesser extent) that's such a bane, as you put it. But if we stop they in players 3rd and 4th years in the bigs we'd get the realistic results we're looking for w/out any more agents or panels or work.
Houston Astros - 2012/2016/2023/2025 Champs!
Cumulative Record: 1894 - 1184 (.615%)
Yup, 5th year you can sign arby players to a 3 year contract at most. Meaning you will then be forced to either sign them through the agent or renegotiate about free agency.

And my two cents on free agency - it never, ever pays to try and force there to be good free agents available. It just doesn't happen in these leagues and all the systems in the world won't change that. It ain't worth trying.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »