• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2024/2025 Suggestions Summary/Discussion
(12-17-2011, 11:03 AM)jhc54 Wrote: Andy your just pissed that theres the possibility someone will draft a player you want before you. At the end of the day you draft well regardless of whether the proxy GM drafts the guy you wanted or not. Lets not make the talent distribution skew further to the top teams. We shouldn't punish owners who are not here, mogul does not come first for everyone!

I also spent an entire draft picking 15 some odd players I would have rather had on the Jays for another team on behalf of the league. So no offense - but shove that thinking back where it came from.

It's ridiculous that we allow people to just say "Meh....I'll have someone else do all the work". Send in a list or deal with the autopick.

If you do all the work and something comes up - I completely understand and I have no problem with that. But starting the first sim you have roughly 2 weeks to do your scouting and send someone a list. There is no excuse for knowing you can't make a draft and not being prepared. Relying on someone else to do your drafting and scouting for you just amounts to laziness. Pure and simple. And if you want to be lazy - FINE! Just deal with the consequence of that - an autopick.

I don't even care if someone drafts for you after you give them a list and contingencies for it that they act independently of. But last year we had 4-5 GMs that had done no prep, had given no list to their sub drafter, who just half-assed their way through it. And it has continued to increase like this every season. Things coming up, life interfering - these things I understand, but they aren't the reasons why we had several people asking others to draft for them last year. It's a stupid trend we should nip in the butt now before it becomes rampant.

Not only that, but the people pulling this BS aren't the ones we should be worried about a talent imbalance for. I'll draft every year for the bottom feeders and take my favorite specs. Those aren't the teams doing this. They're generally responsible, active GMs who, for whatever reason, don't do their work on the draft and pass it off to draft gurus to do for them. It's ridiculous.
World Champion 2018, 2021, 2026, 2030, 2035, 2037, 2039
AL Champion 12 times
FCM Best Record-Holder - 121-41 2028
Overall Record: 3530-1978 .641%
yeah because this is in your best interest. We both know this. Look do we want parity in this league, or do we want the dynasties to continue?
(12-17-2011, 03:41 PM)jhc54 Wrote: yeah because this is in your best interest. We both know this. Look do we want parity in this league, or do we want the dynasties to continue?

Since when does the drafts of Florida, Cincy, and Oakland have anything to do with bringing up the bottom teams? These are playoff contenders!

Like I said...I'll gladly advise every team struggling to turn things around on draft day. Hell, I'll do their drafts for them on behalf of the league. I raided my draft list for the Dodgers and would do it again for someone else if the league needed it. Those aren't the teams I'm taking issue with.

It is nothing more than laziness. If this same practice was done in trades or free agency we'd all ask "WTF?". But on draft day common sense seems to fly out the window. There is no excuse (apart from a posted two week absence at the start of the year) for there not to be a list. None.

If something impromptu happens - fine, I don't think anyone has an issue with this. But what Cdawg and others are demonstrating is that it is deliberate! By all means those of you that are right there with me on this...lay this on - I'm tired of being attacked for being selfish. Especially a year after I unselfishly did what I did in our most recent draft. So cut that bullshit out...please.
AL Champion 12 times
It's been said before. It's not other sniping draftees that I would personally want. It comes down to people taking care of their own teams. Like we don't have someone trading or signing for other teams. And like I said back on Page 2, I wouldn't even have sympathy for those when something comes up. It's not a lack of caring about others in the league or the fact that more than not I'm able to be here. It's how PSBL ran things and they were very successful. There the Commissioner highly encouraged GMs to send in player lists or specifications for what you want EVEN IF YOU ANTICIPATE ON BEING AT THE DRAFT. Doing this would cover yourself in case some unforeseen real world even comes up.

As Andy pointed out, there's two weeks to scout. That should be enough time to send DJ or another GM you trust with a player list or something like, "take the best peak outfielder with at least 70 fielding and 65 contact for my first pick..." and so on.

Now I doubt my line of thinking is shared by many, but the one thing most can agree on is that someone drafting for another team shouldn't be a yearly thing. Otherwise, we may as well allow people to GM two teams.
Cle

Cleveland Record5304-4625 (.534) [2054-2071, 2083-2104, 2110-2131]
AL Post: 15 (ALC), 11 (WC) - ALDS Win: 11 - ALCS Champ: 6 - WS Champ: 3

ALW: Mariners + Angels Record: 1072-864 (.554) [2042-2048, 2105-2110]
AL Post: 3 (ALW), 4 (WC) - ALDS Win: 3 - ALCS Champ: 1 - WS Champ: 1

NLW: Rockies + Padres Record: 3230-2753 (.540) [2017-2042, 2072-2082]
NL Post: 18 (NLW), 4 (WC) - NLDS Win: 7 - NLCS Champ: 4 - WS Champ: 0
Bah we just aren't as objective as jhc - he's the unselfish one. Nevermind he's the GM who was "rewarded handsomely" for drafting for another GM according to this thread. Not to mention set up a service that paid his in league team for doing it.

But hey - that guy has the market on unselfishness here. Thank god he's defending all the league's piss on teams like, say, the Dodgers - who I seek only to screw and never help.

Can we be done with this stupid, baseless attack slant on a perfectly valid issue now?
AL Champion 12 times
There really should be no line of grey. If your not there you either better have a list or given a gm instructions (and email the commish with the proof). otherwise you get auto'd. Its easy to come up with an excuse, its not like anyone aside from myself, and corey live anywhere close enough to eachother where we could find out if they were lying.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »