• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2024/2025 Suggestions Summary/Discussion
I'm going to summarize the different suggestions and based upon those thread post where I think we are. I will make a SEPARATE thread for ideas I feel we've fleshed out fully and that has enough league support to push through. Anything discussed in this post will not be official until it's included in the 2nd post.

-24 Hour Rule On Waivers/FAs After Deadline

I think this is pretty much agreed upon by everyone, nobody spoke against it in the original thread. I'm fine with changing it to 12 hours. After the 1st August Sim (Through the 15th) we'll do daily sims and lower the 24 hour period to 12 hours.

-Drafting for Other GMs

It's going to be impossible to enforce this with any kind of consistency so if this is something we want to focus on it has to be understood we're inviting disagreement and frustration on draft day. I don't think I fall on either side of the fence because drafting is the lifeblood of the league so it's equally important to have good drafts individually as it is to have league-wide integrity since in reality the cubbies would never call up their south-side counterparts and tell them to go to town in June. I think the best place to leave this is that it's frowned upon, if you agree to draft for others we reserve the right to make fun of both parties for the entire draft and there will be a strict 1 minute window to pick for other teams if the situation becomes unavoidable.

-Waivers/Post August Deals

Simple changes here that I think are easy to implement. League priority for waiver claims and ineligibility for Post Aug 31st trades/waviers. Just little things to keep realism, if you trade for a player after August 31st whomever processes the deal just needs to post a reminder in the playoff lineups section.

-Career Window Starting with April

Interesting but requires admins going into the edit player screen and I know that I avoid that like the plague. It's not fair to know some of the data there much less edit it. Integrity is something I focus on and I just don't even like the idea of giving anyone any reason to open the edit player screen except for winterball since you don't have to scroll down to make the edits. I think it's stupid to inflate raw talent at the beginning of the year (and early) since the game will compensate by dropping talent elsewhere. So it seems weird to me that we'd implement something to help create more major league talent earlier when we already have too much talent to begin with. The pitfalls incredibly outweight any benefits here, IMO and I didn't see this get much support in the thread, but I would like to discuss it more.

-Hokey's Suggestions: Relocation, Realignment, Expanded Playoffs

Relocation is bad...mmkay. I think the only scenario we could explore would be one we've already agreed upon: financing new stadiums. I think part of the appeal of FCM is we have all 30 teams in the right locations still and I really don't like the idea of messing with that at all.

Realignment (HOU to AL) and Expanded PLayoffs are impossible in Mogul '11 for the reasons we've discussed before. Our best bet to explore these options is going to be w/ Mogul '13 since it should include scheduling/playoff options/templates that can work without having 2 teams off every day. The current templates won't generate an interleague game everyday so that sorta handcuff us.

-30M In Game Cash

Not worth messing with, yes the work becomes redundant for admins but at the end of the day it shouldn't impact teams keeping track of their own money.

-Draft Pick Compensation

Basically lets start by trying to emulate the MLB exactly and if we find that's logistically or logically impossible we'll go from there.

*) Type A would net (1) Sandwich Round and (1) 3rd Rounder and Type B would net (1) Sandwich Round

1) Players traded after April 1st are NO LONGER eligible for compensation.

2) Compensation Salary: The MLB is doing this by averaging the top 125 players, Matty suggest top 10 or 15 at each position. I'm fine with either but this is less arbitrary than generating salaries via mogul so whichever is preferred we should implement. I think top 7 or 8 at each position is more realistic otherwise star players will only get guaranteed deals south of 10M sometimes if they were forced to accept arbitration. This would allow teams to manipulate their arbitration offers to save money and avoid long-term commitments. Haven't really fleshed this out in my head very much so my logic may be flawed. This is one are we'll have to discuss further.

3) Sandwich Round

Part of the new compensation system would require having a sandwich round. There's two ways we can do a sandwich round:

a) Use round 2 as the sandwich round, any unused picks would be automatically selected as the lower peak in the draft and then released afterwards. Teams that gain a sandwich round pick would either give up their 6th round pick or we'd have to do a pen and paper extended round (about 10-15 more picks I think). Personally I think this is a great way to do it.

b) Reprogram the entire draft...I'm willing to bet 2013 will have a feature to allow you to import draft orders from a txt or excel file but for now all we have is manual. This sucks and is something nobody wants to do. If this is the preferred method then somebody would have to become Draft Admin and handle this as I don't think it'd be fair to ask any of the admins to add this to the to-do list as it's a half a day project minimum and there's guaranteed to be mistakes.

4) Draft Spending Limits

Uhhh...How? Any ideas I've ever seen are too complicated and ends up putting some teams at a disadvantage. If anyone has ideas I'm down for discussion but I think it'd be nice to call it a logistical nightmare.

5) Competitive Balance Lottery

Only possible if we go with option a) for compensation going forward and only used the excess slots. The total number of extra picks and which teams get them would be determined by a weighted random selection giving teams with the lowest winning percentage/revenue the highest chance at receiving the extra compensation. Order would also be determined by a weighted random method. Personally, I love the idea of giving bad teams a shot at extra DPs but I don't think anyone would go for lowering the value of what would be the traditional 2nd round even further, but if you guys support this idea then HUZZAH!

6) Arbitration/Drug Testing/Revenue Sharing/Min Salaries

I'm fine with lowering min salaries to 500K since I like even numbers but messing with anything else would be overkill IMO.

-One Game Playoffs

Just to clarify going forward, one-game playoffs will take place during the Playoff sim, not the last sim of the year. This year we had a live sim so it worked out but just to prevent any future issues/confusion we're officially going to move those games to the playoff sim.

-League Controlled Teams

Just want to see if there's any lingering discontent or issues with having veteran members help guide teams without a GM. If you prefer to PM concerns about this department that'd be acceptable as well. Not worried just want to make sure.

PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU BOLD THE TOPIC HEADLINE YOU WISH TO DISCUSS BELOW TO KEEP THIS AS ORGANIZED AS POSSIBLE. REMEMBER, NONE OF THESE ARE SCHEDULED TO BE IMPLEMENT UNTIL THEY'RE MOVED TO THE LEAGUE NEWS THREAD THAT WILL BE STARTED WHEN WE CONFIRM AT LEAST ONE CHANGE

Houston Astros - 2012/2016/2023/2025 Champs!
Cumulative Record: 1894 - 1184 (.615%)
Drafting for other GMs

I agree that I was against this but I agree im not sure what else you can do except say please don't do it.

Career Window
I'd rather not have people fooling with players and viewing their hidden info

Realignment: heres my major proposal
We always hear Dj ranting about lowering talent and here is my proposition to do this with as little backfire as humanly possible. Expansion, yes....expansion.
Not only that, this would facilitate a move of Houston to the AL west. We would add 2 teams, the talent percentages are based on a per team average and by adding two teams and correspondingly lowering these totals along with the expansion would create as little backfire as possible because the total number of players would not change but the distribution would over time. So we would add two teams and lower talent a the same time; this would hopefully eliminate random drops and progressional stunts.

My proposition is

Houston to the AL west

Montreal Expos to the NL East

Vancouver Canadians to the AL West

this eliminates scheduling problems by allowing an even number of teams in each league. also I would suggest that the two expansion teams get the 1st and 2nd pick of the draft that next year but thats just a side note

another side affect this would have on the league is a better distribution of playoff teams, because lets be honest texas is not a playoff team.
World Champs: 2071, 2106, 2108

After deadline was always a dead period, especially for teams not in a playoff race. I'm all for speeding things up post deadline

-Drafting for Other GMs

No opinion either way, would probably never do it for another team, probably would never ask someone else to do my drafting for me (baring a major life situation that gave me no prep time and I couldn't be at the draft either)

I think no trades/waivers after August 31st period would be best, no need in dealing with potential overhead of having to keep track of who is eligible and who isn't. League priority I am definitely for.

No

When Mogul 13 comes out I would be all for an expansion of playoffs to add another wildcard... and I'm clearly not biased after being 2nd in the WC for about 5 seasons since the league started.

-30M In Game Cash

Don't mess with what works.

-Draft Pick Compensation

I'm all for a sandwich round but right now I don't know if the extra overhead is worth the potential headaches. If we eventually move to 2013 and it has the ability for sandwich rounds then maybe.

-One Game Playoffs

Good call

-League Controlled Teams

No issues

In total agreement with this decision.

-Drafting for Other GMs

Fair points - I like that we just highly discourage it. I think we were becoming too comfortable allowing it, but if we are just casually frowning on it I like that stance. My issue was how rampant it was this last draft and how accepted it felt. So hopefully if we all just agree it's not in the best interest of the league's integrity it will reduce the frequency. I never had a problem with exceptions, I just didn't like a half dozen teams employing this strategy. So good with me.

Works for me.

I'd like to hear the counter argument more in-depth as well because I agree with DJ. I believe the problem here isn't career windows but the way Mogul is balancing talent levels. And frankly, there isn't much we can do about that other than what we already have.

I'm ok with realignment when Mogul '13 comes out. I wouldn't be a big fan of expansion. I think we've demonstrated enough issues keeping teams filled for the last few seasons for me to sign on for that. Open teams are a real problem and the Tampa/NYY/LAD situations should be a good cautionary tale.

-30M In Game Cash

My only issue here was not understanding what was going on...to me it's a non-issue.

-Draft Pick Compensation

I really want to see the sandwhich round implemented. Or at least do what they are doing in real life with not taking a team's pick, but allowing the compensated team to choose before them. So if Arizona signs a Blue Jay, the D-backs don't lose their first rounder, but I gain a sandwhich pick before their slot.

The last few years we have had 10% or so of compensated players signed. More often than not they go unsigned so the entire system feels like a waste. Couple that with our players generally aging out of being attractive in their 30s and you have a lot of reasons not to blow a draft pick.

I would like to see immediately put into place for next year the idea of compensated players NOT costing the team signing them a draft pick, but creating a sandwhich pick in place of the compensated team's 6th rounder instead. I have a dog in this fight because I expect to release three players this year, so I'd like to see it happen right away, but I also think long-term it helps with a lot of factors. Talent will spread out more, it will burn cash from the league reserves, and it will make the compensation system effective.

4) Draft Spending Limits

I say ignore this issue. It's a non-factor in the league.

Nope, I don't like this. The problem with competitive balance is talent evaluation and extra DPs aren't going to fix that quite frankly.

500k is the only thing worth changing.

-League Controlled Teams

I think this should only happen when team viability is hampered by having no GM. Tampa and LAD were in these situations. Only when a team is basically in tatters should we consider doing this.

World Champion 2018, 2021, 2026, 2030, 2035, 2037, 2039
AL Champion 12 times
FCM Best Record-Holder - 121-41 2028
Overall Record: 3530-1978 .641%
Compensation

Type A: Average of 1-10 Salaries at Position
Type B: Average of 11-20 Salaries at Position

Also, keep the rankings so we know who is Type A and Type B. Just because Selig got rid of the Elias Rankings doesn't mean we need to throw away our own version too.

Sandwich Round

Talking it out, I realized while I love the idea, I just don't think it's all that possible on this version of Mogul. If any future versions allow for this, then I'd be all for it. But for now it seems like extra work that isn't needed.

Draft Spending Limits

We don't require bounses for draftees and doing so would only create more work for someone. Not needed.

$30M Cash

I think my point is being lost. My point was I was foreseeably going to have over $30M by the end of the season. So now, someone has to go back in and basically undo something that was already done. It kind of makes the initial edit pointless.

It doesn't really matter if it's stopped, but in the least bank deposits need to been done after the playoffs are over and before re-signings happen. I've had a few seasons where they have been forgotten, thus making my re-signing demands higher. I'm not the only one.

Uno Game Playoffs

Love it! And honestly I'd like to see the sim stop at the final weekend if there's any close races. Nothing is worse than realizing you have a starter get injured September 20 and clog up a roster spot for 2 weeks. Again this would be close races, so if the final series wouldn't change anything we would just sim through as normal for those seasons.

League Controlled Teams

I think this has been a very good idea. Teams are already at a disadvantage when their ownerless. No need to kick them while they're down. I do think AL GMs should only watch over NL Teams (and vice versa). But at the same time I'll also say I have NO problem with both teams trading with each other. Trades should have to undoubtedly make sense for the team that's been watched over. But as long as there's higher scrutiny for these trades there's no reason to block a trade that clearly helps them.

Expansion

Moving one of the AL Central teams to create better balance would be good. I don't think adding an expansion team to the league's weakest division is a good idea. If the ALW becomes much stronger in the next few years, then maybe. I also don't think we should lock up expansion locations so early. I think whomever is going to run these teams should have some say in where their team is located.
Cle

Cleveland Record5304-4625 (.534) [2054-2071, 2083-2104, 2110-2131]
AL Post: 15 (ALC), 11 (WC) - ALDS Win: 11 - ALCS Champ: 6 - WS Champ: 3

ALW: Mariners + Angels Record: 1072-864 (.554) [2042-2048, 2105-2110]
AL Post: 3 (ALW), 4 (WC) - ALDS Win: 3 - ALCS Champ: 1 - WS Champ: 1

NLW: Rockies + Padres Record: 3230-2753 (.540) [2017-2042, 2072-2082]
NL Post: 18 (NLW), 4 (WC) - NLDS Win: 7 - NLCS Champ: 4 - WS Champ: 0

As long as its daily sims then yeah sounds good to me

-Drafting for Other GMs

There should be a mandatory fee of 10mil that goes into a pot and then spread out to the teams evenley, revunue sharing style. It's not fair to beable to grab on of the better drafters here and have them draft for you. You need to be responsible and scout the draft yourself and either be there or send a list, or pay the piper buy paying a fee. Its all fine and dandy having draft talent spread out but it should be earned not given.

The deals are usually very insignificant anyway so I don't see the need to change it.

Don't wan't people messing with the file. It's not overly hard to spot when something like this is going to happen anyway.

Not needed here.

-30M In Game Cash

Not broke don't fix it.

-Draft Pick Compensation

Hate the idea of a sandwhich round. My picks shouldn't be artifically lowered, and its just more crap to keep track of, especially if we did this with pen and paper.

I think we should lower the pick iven for the comp guys. Theres never anyone below 32 that are comp eligable. Thus givng a 1st rounder is usually out of the question. I suggest making it a 2nd rounder for type a's and a 3rd rounder for type b's. Or even making i a 2nd and a 3rd rounder for type a.

1) Players traded after April 1st are NO LONGER eligible for compensation.

I don't see why someone should get screwed out of comp. If a guy is going to be comp worthy he usually commands at least what he'd get for comp anyway.

2) Compensation Salary:

Keep it the same or top 10 average, i'm good either way.

3) Sandwich Round

No.

4) Draft Spending Limits

Don't need these.

No as we'd need sandwhich round.

I'd say if anything raise it to 600k. No need having more money back in our pockets.

-League Controlled Teams[/quote]
I like the idea
24 hour rule after deadline
ok

Drafting for other GMs
If I can't be there I always ask a GM to draft for me. It's much better to ask someone who's scouted the draft and say "Hey grab me your best SP iyo" It's how I got Kelly Williams, and Mulvaney, by asking a knowledgeable GM to grab some solid player for my benefit. Don't see why it's such a big issue, it's the next best thing AFTER not having that GM there and ahead of a draft list.

Realignment/expansion
No, the MLB has the lowest amount are forced to sit and watch as 4/32 teams get to play in the playoffs. to me, that's dumb. No expansion.

Compensation/draft
I like all the ideas here, do pen and paper for the sandwich round instead of removing the 6th round. it's easier in my eyes.
Oakland A's
2015-Current
(18 seasons)
1,340-1,577
74-.44-87.66
4 AL West titles
2 ALDS Series appearance
1 WS appearance

I have no issues with moving this to 12 hours. With the schedule becoming more compact after the trade deadline, this would make sense.

-Drafting for Other GMs

I really don't understand why people have such an issue with this. I understand that some people may draft better than others but if someone has a real life issue come up and cannot be present for the draft. Why screw them with being auto-selected? Yes, you can compile a list but not all real life issues happen in an advanced timely manor, plans change and the virtual world stuff needs to be put on the back burner for those individuals.

I agree that if someone does not show, does not submit a list that they should be auto-selected but I just feel for people that have an issue come up and they ask someone to help, that should be accepted.

I am against it, I hate as it is to go in there to edit contract numbers or making them a draft day contract etc. I would not want to dwell into that any deeper than what we have to.

Hokey's Suggestions: Relocation, Realignment, Expanded Playoffs

re-alignment cannot be done. if as a league we shift to Mogul 13 when it comes out. Then yes, we can take that into account with the expandaded playoffs. So no real need to work on that now.

Reloaction, I am all for it if it makes sense. We have seen it in real life with Montreal going to DC and we have seen it happen in other professional sports. So it is not something that does not happen without purpose. However, the move to me would have to A) make sense and B) be realistic. Just moving to move would not fly with me. however a mid/small market moving to a larger market would make sense to me.

-Draft Pick Compensation

I really don't think Mogul 11 is set up well for us to change this. You say that in the sandwich round we will fill the non-compensated picks with the lowest peak players, but what if one of those players are a late round prospect of a team? Then we will have to listen to that complaint. I would file this change with re-alignment. Hopefully that is something that we can achieve if it is available in Mogul 13 and we make the switch from Mogul 11.

I am against this, you can rebuild your team if you put the time and effort into it. We have seen Peter make the playoffs this season, PS win the series this year and Matty make the playoffs again.

-One Game Playoffs

I have no issues with this, however, the problem you have is that mogul automatically does this game when you hit "sim to playoffs" on that last sim as this play-in game is an extra regular season game. So you would need to sim to the date of the last day of the year.

League Controlled Teams

I think that worked out well, LAD became a much better team through the 1 draft and FA period that Andy was able to control them. It makes the league more balanced and makes open teams more attractive to new potential owners.
Cubs GM 2010-2021
2017 & 2019 World Champions
LAA GM 2022-2035
2028, 2029, 2032 and 2034 World Champions
Draft
Just to clarify on the draft issue Sean - the scenario you laid out is not one I have an issue with. If something comes up and you can't be there, do as much prep as you can to help the person you asked for assistance, but that's not the source of the issue.

If you want to know the mentality that the complaint is originating from - read what CDawg wrote. I respect the hell out of CDawg as a GM, but the fact of the matter is that his justification is lazy. That reasoning is what I don't like, not the scenario you were arguing. I hope that helps clarify a bit - no one is trying to be a jerk unless the GM just isn't putting in the effort.
World Champion 2018, 2021, 2026, 2030, 2035, 2037, 2039
AL Champion 12 times
FCM Best Record-Holder - 121-41 2028
Overall Record: 3530-1978 .641%
(12-15-2011, 03:10 PM)AndyP Wrote: Draft
Just to clarify on the draft issue Sean - the scenario you laid out is not one I have an issue with. If something comes up and you can't be there, do as much prep as you can to help the person you asked for assistance, but that's not the source of the issue.

If you want to know the mentality that the complaint is originating from - read what CDawg wrote. I respect the hell out of CDawg as a GM, but the fact of the matter is that his justification is lazy. That reasoning is what I don't like, not the scenario you were arguing. I hope that helps clarify a bit - no one is trying to be a jerk unless the GM just isn't putting in the effort.

Ok, that I can agree with.
Cubs GM 2010-2021
2017 & 2019 World Champions
LAA GM 2022-2035
2028, 2029, 2032 and 2034 World Champions
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »