• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2024/2025 Suggestions Summary/Discussion
(12-15-2011, 03:10 PM)AndyP Wrote: Draft
Just to clarify on the draft issue Sean - the scenario you laid out is not one I have an issue with. If something comes up and you can't be there, do as much prep as you can to help the person you asked for assistance, but that's not the source of the issue.

If you want to know the mentality that the complaint is originating from - read what CDawg wrote. I respect the hell out of CDawg as a GM, but the fact of the matter is that his justification is lazy. That reasoning is what I don't like, not the scenario you were arguing. I hope that helps clarify a bit - no one is trying to be a jerk unless the GM just isn't putting in the effort.

Yeah it's that it's becoming a few GMs each year that just hands out their drafting to someone else. For some it seems like they'll draft the first 2 rounds, but then they want to go watch TV or whatever and say, "hey you're good at drafting, you can draft the remaining rounds for me".

For me, I obviously get the real world emergencies. The problem I have in a sim league is that it's easy to make something up. Maybe you got lazy with draft scouting, you can just use the, "a situation came up" card and for what our league has allowed, this would be accepted. Then for someone to truly have a real world emergency and not be able to come online and post, it would likely get treated as forgetting and not doing job as a GM and the selections would get auto-picked.

It's definitely a grey area. But I'd still say under ANY circumstances drafting for other teams shouldn't be allowed. You can submit a list and everyone probably should do that, even if you expect to be there. It gives you a backup plan for if your internet goes out or if a situation does come up. That or trade out, submit to pick the highest scouting score/peak, or other means to cover yourself.
Cle

Cleveland Record5304-4625 (.534) [2054-2071, 2083-2104, 2110-2131]
AL Post: 15 (ALC), 11 (WC) - ALDS Win: 11 - ALCS Champ: 6 - WS Champ: 3

ALW: Mariners + Angels Record: 1072-864 (.554) [2042-2048, 2105-2110]
AL Post: 3 (ALW), 4 (WC) - ALDS Win: 3 - ALCS Champ: 1 - WS Champ: 1

NLW: Rockies + Padres Record: 3230-2753 (.540) [2017-2042, 2072-2082]
NL Post: 18 (NLW), 4 (WC) - NLDS Win: 7 - NLCS Champ: 4 - WS Champ: 0
Something to add about our comp system. I think the top 15 picks should be protected so if a team in that area signs a type a the team would recive a 2nd and if they sign a type b they would receive a 3rd. This is assuming no one likes my idea i mentioned earlier. I think as it stands right now, our comp system only encourages the crappy teams to sit on their hands and rake in high picks and cash as dealign a top 15, especially a top 10 pick makes no sense for a guy who is 32+ which is how old most o fthe comp guys are. IRL there wouldnt be a problem but mogul hates players once they get that old.
Here's the impression I'm getting from the replies so far, pending a chance for everyone to review it one last time. With resignings Due Monday I plan on posting final decisions and making them official tomorrow so please please please get your 2 cents in while you can (Also be sure to vote on the two polls ONE and TWO):

-24 Hour Rule On Waivers/FAs After Deadline

Daily sims August 15th going forward and 12 Hour Waiver/FAs have no opposition so far.

-Drafting for Other GMs

This is frowned upon but as we've discussed it would be nearly impossible to enforce fairly or evenly. If this is to occur it should be an unavoidable situation and the clock will be limited to 1 minute before auto picking. If you're having another team draft for you they're not ultimately responsible for your draftees as it will be a strict 1 minute limit and there will be no going back once that selection is made. Again it seems most everyone is on the same page here and will be approved tomorrow.

-Waivers/Post August Deals

Also nobody seems against it. Waivers are now league priority and you may not have a player acquired in September or October on your playoff roster. Admins will just move the signing or trade thread to playoff lineups if they do occur.

-Career Window Starting with April

Did get enough support to make it through this time but like Andy I still can't help but feel I'm not totally understanding this suggestion. I'd encourage this discussion to continue in 2025 to make sure we completely grasp the idea before tabling it.

-Hokey's Suggestions: Relocation, Realignment, Expanded Playoffs

We'll have to wait until BBM 2013 comes out to explore this going forward.

-30M In Game Cash

I think we should designate a date for bank transactions since in game cash only matters during resigning. Pending a huge outcry going forward after the season and before resigning will be the bank period and admins will process any transactions BEFORE posting the resigning file. This way if there's any discrepancies we'll, in theory, have all the data and only one file to review AND GMs no longer have to worry about their cash situations being accurate.

-Draft Pick Compensation

And now for the doozy....

It seems this is the most controversial of the new topics however I feel the majority falls into the group that supports reconciling our rules with the new MLB CBA. There's a poll posted under league news (LINK) so based upon the rules below please vote a simple yes or no to ensure league support. Based upon replies here is how I envision the new system working out:

1) Type A and B formulas remain the same, they've been effective and we still have no clue how the MLB plans on grading out players for compensation.

2) Type A Compensation - (1) Sandwich Round Pick & (1) 3rd Round Pick; Type B Compensation - (1) Sandwich Round Pick (The 3rd Rounder can be dropped if GMs feel it's too much, please reply to the poll thread about this issue)

3) Arbitration Salary - In order to receive compensation you must make a qualifying 1 year offer to the compensated player BEFORE free agency. Type A will require an offer of the averages of the top 7 players (Annual Contract Value) at their respective position and Type B will require an offer of the averages of the top 15 players (Annual Contract Value) at their respective position. These values will change every year and will be posted along with the compensation information and before resignings are due.

4) Players traded mid season are no longer eligible for compensation and must be resigned or released into free agency with no compensation coming back. I think this is another optional component but would ultimately allow for a freer market place, healthy free agency which ultimately increases parity. In order to ease any potential burdens or surprises I also feel this is best implemented for the following season and not handcuffing teams this season.

5) Draft Spending - Not Happening

6) Competitive Balance Lottery didn't receive much support at all. Based upon how we handle the sandwich round, this might not even be a possibility. However, I would like to continue to get reactions to this idea as I think that's one idea the MLB did get right. Even if it's blunt and somewhat superficial, giving the opportunity for smaller market teams to gain extra DPs could be beneficial but for 2025 this isn't happening

Minimum Salaries

Will be set to 500K

-One Game Playoffs

Will be done with the playoff sim. Admins can no longer use the 'Sim to Playoffs' function

-League Controlled Teams

Really supportive responses. We'll monitor these situations obviously but it seems the consensus is that having league controlled teams is beneficial and has been done in good faith so far.

Houston Astros - 2012/2016/2023/2025 Champs!
Cumulative Record: 1894 - 1184 (.615%)
Speaking of the draft compensation I think 1st round (or if it's changing, 2nd round) top 10 picks should be protected. I know many have said, "if teams have top 10 pick, they shouldn't be going after those types of players". However, look at my Rockies, I've gone from a top 10 pick in June to the playoffs in October. Granted back in the off-season I didn't foresee me winning. But I did see myself being competitive by 2025. So would it really be a bad move for a team like me to sign a guy for 4 or 5 years if you feel you'll be competitive for most of the contract? Protecting picks promotes parity.

I love the 2nd round for Type A and 3rd round for Type B. I think it'll encourage more activity in the off-season. It seems people only go for compensatory players if their a complete stud AND under 30 or a Type B where the signing team will only be giving up a second half team.

And I think some of the non-talk about suggestions means either people have discussed their support already in the original thread or that they simply aren't against it.
Cle

I could see even making the type of comp conditional. If the typa A player is below 30 he can still receive the normal 1st round comp but if hes over 30 then the team only gets the 2nd rounder. Same rule could apply for our type b's.
I really don't like this sandwich round idea that is being floated out there. It is going to be a headache and make the draft a clusterfuck of confusion. If you want to change the compensation to a non-1st round, fine, go with type A as a 2nd round and B as a 3rd round. That would be a hell of a lot easier than this sandwich round stuff.
Cubs GM 2010-2021
2017 & 2019 World Champions
LAA GM 2022-2035
2028, 2029, 2032 and 2034 World Champions
Quote:If you want to change the compensation to a non-1st round, fine, go with type A as a 2nd round and B as a 3rd round. That would be a hell of a lot easier than this sandwich round stuff.

Sean I really like that idea, it’s simple and solves the problem we are having in the 1st place. You can get some real good players in the 2nd or even the 3rd rds.
Dogers GM 2031- present
Twins GM from 2015-2027
2026 ALDS Winner (Twins)
2022 AL wild Card (Twins)
(12-15-2011, 06:46 PM)mattynokes Wrote:
(12-15-2011, 03:10 PM)AndyP Wrote: Draft
Just to clarify on the draft issue Sean - the scenario you laid out is not one I have an issue with. If something comes up and you can't be there, do as much prep as you can to help the person you asked for assistance, but that's not the source of the issue.

If you want to know the mentality that the complaint is originating from - read what CDawg wrote. I respect the hell out of CDawg as a GM, but the fact of the matter is that his justification is lazy. That reasoning is what I don't like, not the scenario you were arguing. I hope that helps clarify a bit - no one is trying to be a jerk unless the GM just isn't putting in the effort.

Yeah it's that it's becoming a few GMs each year that just hands out their drafting to someone else. For some it seems like they'll draft the first 2 rounds, but then they want to go watch TV or whatever and say, "hey you're good at drafting, you can draft the remaining rounds for me".

For me, I obviously get the real world emergencies. The problem I have in a sim league is that it's easy to make something up. Maybe you got lazy with draft scouting, you can just use the, "a situation came up" card and for what our league has allowed, this would be accepted. Then for someone to truly have a real world emergency and not be able to come online and post, it would likely get treated as forgetting and not doing job as a GM and the selections would get auto-picked.

It's definitely a grey area. But I'd still say under ANY circumstances drafting for other teams shouldn't be allowed. You can submit a list and everyone probably should do that, even if you expect to be there. It gives you a backup plan for if your internet goes out or if a situation does come up. That or trade out, submit to pick the highest scouting score/peak, or other means to cover yourself.

Let's not mix this up. I'm not lazy, the days that everyone chooses to draft, friday, saturday, sunday(also MIA during tuesdays too) are the days that I work from 4 until 10PM EST exactly during the first part of the draft. Even from the TCM I showed up an hour late and they were in the 5th round already(not likely to happen in most other leagues.

TCM, FCM and MoGen all had their drafts this past season in basically the same time frame I made it to 1, draft list for another, and forgot about the 3rd. In FCM I asked...hokey I think what his top 10 draft list looked like just to see what his was compared to mine. In TCM I first asked Incognito to draft for me because my list of the entire draft wasn't saved on the computer, and rather than spend another hour rescouting I asked her to draft for me(because I'd be working). They changed the date to Sunday which I missed the starting time by an hour(they actually started an hour early I think.

I'm not against it b/c it gives a team a knowledgeable pick instead of a blind one that can help out a team. And actually I paid JHC to do my draft for him...so he did me a service there and got his reward.
Oakland A's
2015-Current
(18 seasons)
1,340-1,577
74-.44-87.66
4 AL West titles
2 ALDS Series appearance
1 WS appearance
(12-17-2011, 12:44 AM)Cdawg Wrote: Let's not mix this up. I'm not lazy, the days that everyone chooses to draft, friday, saturday, sunday(also MIA during tuesdays too) are the days that I work from 4 until 10PM EST exactly during the first part of the draft. Even from the TCM I showed up an hour late and they were in the 5th round already(not likely to happen in most other leagues.

TCM, FCM and MoGen all had their drafts this past season in basically the same time frame I made it to 1, draft list for another, and forgot about the 3rd. In FCM I asked...hokey I think what his top 10 draft list looked like just to see what his was compared to mine. In TCM I first asked Incognito to draft for me because my list of the entire draft wasn't saved on the computer, and rather than spend another hour rescouting I asked her to draft for me(because I'd be working). They changed the date to Sunday which I missed the starting time by an hour(they actually started an hour early I think.

I'm not against it b/c it gives a team a knowledgeable pick instead of a blind one that can help out a team. And actually I paid JHC to do my draft for him...so he did me a service there and got his reward.

Let's not confuse what is me speaking in general terms for the draft as me for pointing the finger at you.
Cle

Andy your just pissed that theres the possibility someone will draft a player you want before you. At the end of the day you draft well regardless of whether the proxy GM drafts the guy you wanted or not. Lets not make the talent distribution skew further to the top teams. We shouldn't punish owners who are not here, mogul does not come first for everyone!

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »