• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hiroshi Ren
Exactly people like him don't event think about his next contract until his closer to healthy or during the offseason free agency when teams have more money available. The idea and goal is a realistic market. I concede that's market value 9 times out of 10. But players hurt for 290 days or anyone who hopes to re-establish their value/career for that matter, don't sign 3yr/2.4M deals it doesn't make sense.

He's not getting top offers not because he's bad or the market wouldn't bear it...if that's really the point being made you're mistaken. It's August, he's hurt until next July and he's 32...it makes no more sense for teams to be trying to sign him now than it does for him to be interested in signing a deal.

His salary and market value would increase ten fold on a one year deal with a solid Summer in 18...
Houston Astros - 2012/2016/2023/2025 Champs!
Cumulative Record: 1894 - 1184 (.615%)
So the new rule is no signing injured players?

This is getting to be a bit much man
NYY GM (2010-2017):
791-507 (.610)
4-time ALCS Champs
2014 World Series Champs
(02-24-2011, 08:53 PM)dejota Wrote: Well the idea is you're preventing him from getting more legit bids.

- A 1yr/1.5M offer, for example, wouldn't be enough, 2yrs/1M wouldn't either but both would be preferable IMO than 3yrs/800K.

- And PR, you call for rule changes every other day...wtf?

- He's not getting top offers not because he's bad or the market wouldn't bear it...if that's really the point being made you're mistaken. It's August, he's hurt until next July and he's 32...it makes no more sense for teams to be trying to sign him now than it does for him to be interested in signing a deal.

I hope your not saying that if I offered 3 years @ 800K per for an FA that a 1 year 1.5M contract would beat it.....I don't recall me calling for new rules since I have gotten back either....with me being under speculation of sign and trade I feel we've done enough to make the market the most realistic it can be. As for Ren, if the deal is for no more than 3 years I don't see the problem, even if he is injured. If he is 33 next summer and starts to perform well again, he will only have one more year on his deal before he hits FA and lands a better deal. As long as he isn't signed over 3 years I really don't see the problem.
I think we have enough rules with regards to protecting players. I think were going way too far with rules adaptations. We already have agents, regulate mininum amounts on contract extensions, and expensive ntc. This I believe is going overboard with protecting players. We do not need anymore rule changes here. I think if you do not let teams bid on Ren it represents in my honest estimation abuse of power by the commissioner office.
done
Houston Astros - 2012/2016/2023/2025 Champs!
Cumulative Record: 1894 - 1184 (.615%)
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »