• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Push Back Trade Deadline, Remove Waivers!
(04-09-2016, 11:14 AM)sxr007 Wrote: Everyone seemed to be all for moving the trade deadline back. There never seemed to be any debate about it. Well I am here to show the other side of what can happen. I am not saying I am for or against the deadline moving. I just wanted everyone to be aware of the consequences. Just taking the other side, like I would on a debate team.

So a team can take on large salaries for just one month of the season. Teams then have the financial capability to create a Super Team just for the playoffs. If you know you are going to make the playoffs, why wouldn't you boost everything up you possible can. A team that wins the World Series may look nothing like the team they had August 31st. This is exactly why every pro sport has a trade deadline no where near the playoffs.

If your a team that you know won't make the playoffs on Aug 31st, why wouldn't you be a seller? Especially those Type B players of last year. It will be harder to get something out of free agency in a month, so trade them away to someone building a Super Team for the playoffs.

If you don't think it will happen, have you ever seen the moves I make with just a chance at the playoffs? Just wait till I am guaranteed in the playoffs on August 31st. Adding another $50,000,000 in payroll would only cost about $8,000,000.

It is evident that the cost to payroll is minimal and the reward is high because of the caliber of the player. I think you would be the only person willing to give a prospect of the same caliber a compensation eligible player could get in FA Comp for a one month rental who you have to non tender or extend (Which in most cases lands GMs between a rock in a hard place.) If it's Aug. 31st and someone wants Palencia, I'm not dealing him for anything less than the mid 80s peak prospect I could've gotten in a type B round. Shit, if I get enough of these potential Super Teams to bite on offers, I could come out with a 90s peak spec depending on the scenario.

The value is still there, even if you only get his services for one to two months. I think this actually might increase the market value of star players towards the deadline by teams with the prospects to do it.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »