• 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Expansion
[Image: 22144d1250251100-sub-contractor-lower-in...nt_die.jpg]
I'd like to bring this up for the new GMs... 40/40, Cdawg, etc. what do you think?
:min2: GM
As far as activity goes, you seem to be in a place where you could support expansion. And honestly, that's the most important thing to the whole process. I think I voted no on the poll, but honestly I don't remember. The other majority factor to consider is what the rest of the league thinks of expansion... but if you set up the process correctly, I think everyone could jump on board. If you really want to do this, I could come up with an outline of how I feel the process would have to go, and y'all can make edits to it as you feel...
I think the process would have to go as this:

1. League is active enough to warrant expansion. Check.

2. Staff submits preliminary plan for expansion.
A. Who will be the expansion GMs? And are they guaranteed to remain active?
B. Is re-alignment necessary and which division/location to place the new teams?
C. How will the new team budgets be decided?
D. How will this affect the next season's amateur draft?
E. In which other ways will expansion affect the 30 current GMs?

3. GMs revise the plan, discuss and edit accordingly, and then vote to continue the process or stop outright.

4. If plan is to continue, staff submits plan for expansion draft.
A. How many players can GMs protect?
B. Which players get automatic protection?
C. How many rounds will the draft last?
D. In which other ways can we make this more of an experience for the other 30 GMs?

5. GMs revise the plan, discuss and edit accordingly, and then vote to officially expand, or shelve idea for one season.

6. If expansion is now official, staff needs to give GMs at least one full season to plan and prepare for the draft.

What I like most about this plan is that it keeps the entire league active and contributing with how the expansion is to progress. If at any point it seems the idea is getting too out of line and does not jive, the league as a whole has the opportunity to nip it in the bud.

This only took me about 15 min to come up with, so there's probably still some areas I forgot to cover. Please reply with things you feel need to be added and covered for expansion to take place.
Yup we did this, and the GMs said no. Maybe I can find a link for you. Scotty announced that there would be two expansion teams placed in the west, one in LV the other in Vancouver, and the current DET GM was going to have one of the teams.

[Image: PittsburghPirates.jpg] GM  2010-2017:  572-724  .441 W%
        Best Year: 2015: 86-76 (3rd NL Cent)
Yankees GM: 2019-2022ish
Also 40/40 the league isn't active enough to warrent expansion. Every year we have had new gm's. Instead of adding 2 teams to the mix and then possibly having more openings in the future its been wildly discussed that we would be better off taking the teams that do open up and giving them to the solid gm's.
(10-31-2010, 06:16 PM)القراصنة Wrote: Yup we did this, and the GMs said no. Maybe I can find a link for you. Scotty announced that there would be two expansion teams placed in the west, one in LV the other in Vancouver, and the current DET GM was going to have one of the teams.

I don't agree completely with you Jordan, we were informed on who the two people were and the teams that were chosen but no plan was laid out. There was a post that we would "do something like this". That still does not answer how we were going to do it because that statement leaves a lot up for interpretation. I would like a plan in place before we do expansion that way the ground rules are known ahead of time rather than throwing shit at the wall and hoping some of it sticks.
Cubs GM 2010-2021
2017 & 2019 World Champions
LAA GM 2022-2035
2028, 2029, 2032 and 2034 World Champions
(10-29-2010, 06:17 PM)AndyP Wrote: [Image: 22144d1250251100-sub-contractor-lower-in...nt_die.jpg]

Bears repeating....
lol yeah especially since we just had 2 teams open up that we had to fill.
I ran some tests Sims today to research the mysterious case of low payroll budget teams (CLE,PIT,TB in particular)

Pure stats:

CLE payroll budget in 2017 without expansion: 61M
CLE payroll budget in 2017 with expansion: 72M
CLE attendance in 2017 without expansion: 28K
CLE attendance in 2017 with expansion: 32K

PIT payroll budget in 2017 without expansion: 59M
PIT payroll budget in 2017 with expansion: 69M
PIT attendance in 2017 without expansion: 20K
PIT attendance in 2017 with expansion: 23K

TB payroll budget in 2017 without expansion: 44M
TB payroll budget in 2017 with expansion: 51M
TB attendance in 2017 without expansion: 19K
TB attendance in 2017 with expansion: 24K

This is NOT luck or an unrelated correlation. I ran these tests 5 times with similar results every time. Also, as I was simming, I noticed some VERY close division races! Let's bring some exciting stretch run's back to FCM! (Thanks Nick)
:min2: GM
So is this like your pitch for expansion, or just a friendly stat for us to chew on?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »