• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Draft
This is something that was discussed in the C-box in the last draft but I wanted to bring it up formally.

As someone who does put some time and effort into the draft, I'm a little irritated by a handful of GMs handing off their draft to another GM to run for them. I wouldn't have a problem with this if the GM was handing them a list to go off of and trusting their judgement if something went awry. But the trend of "Eh...I don't want to so you do it" is growing more every year.

A simple suggestion: If you can't be at the draft - send a list or take the highest peak. If you want to send a list to another GM or DJ - that's fine too.

Here are the five options I'd like to see:

1) Be there!
2) Send DJ a list
3) Send another GM a list
4) Take the highest peak as auto-draft
5) Trade out

It's just irritating to put a lot of work in and then have some great drafters here pick 3-4 times the normal amount because they're doing someone a favor. Obviously some circumstances make that ok, but it's become a pattern now every draft.
World Champion 2018, 2021, 2026, 2030, 2035, 2037, 2039
AL Champion 12 times
FCM Best Record-Holder - 121-41 2028
Overall Record: 3530-1978 .641%
(12-09-2011, 05:59 PM)AndyP Wrote: This is something that was discussed in the C-box in the last draft but I wanted to bring it up formally.

As someone who does put some time and effort into the draft, I'm a little irritated by a handful of GMs handing off their draft to another GM to run for them. I wouldn't have a problem with this if the GM was handing them a list to go off of and trusting their judgement if something went awry. But the trend of "Eh...I don't want to so you do it" is growing more every year.

A simple suggestion: If you can't be at the draft - send a list or take the highest peak. If you want to send a list to another GM or DJ - that's fine too.

Here are the five options I'd like to see:

1) Be there!
2) Send DJ a list
3) Send another GM a list
4) Take the highest peak as auto-draft
5) Trade out

It's just irritating to put a lot of work in and then have some great drafters here pick 3-4 times the normal amount because they're doing someone a favor. Obviously some circumstances make that ok, but it's become a pattern now every draft.

As Much as I would like to be there to draft my own players to my preferences, I work most nights.
Sorry, but feeding my kids takes precedence over Mogul, at least until Mogul hires me full-time to play its games.
I have sent lists in the past and will continue to do so, making every effort to help my team.

John
I wholeheartedly agree. For me it's not about players going off the board that might still be there if others weren't drafting for the team. It's about running your damn team! When I used to run leagues I hated when people auto-sorted their minors. If I wanted the CPU to run teams I'd do a single player dynasty. To the same extent, the draft is a part of running your team.

I also don't get it when people say "I'm not good at drafting". Then how do you go about making trades? While the players might be more raw than prospects you might trade for, it's still in a sense a trade. With both you have to analyze the player's vitals and stats. And yes, a high schooler who hit .420 his senior year doesn't necessarily mean he's going to be a great hitter, but you can pick up on tendencies through the amateur stats.

My question to those who say they aren't good at drafting is this. Do you mess with Mogul outside of the league? By starting up your own file and editing players and figuring out how it works can go a long way in knowing what a 19 year old 60/85 SP with 62 Control, 64 Power, and 59 Movement will look like when he's peaked. And it's not like you have to know all the details of how a player develops. All you need to know is that a pitcher like that is projectable as a #3/4 SP in this league. And for the example SP... with 25 upside and a usual 6 years to develop (peaks at age 25) he should be able to improve Control 10-15 points, Power 8-12 points, and Movement 20-25 points.
Cle

Cleveland Record5304-4625 (.534) [2054-2071, 2083-2104, 2110-2131]
AL Post: 15 (ALC), 11 (WC) - ALDS Win: 11 - ALCS Champ: 6 - WS Champ: 3

ALW: Mariners + Angels Record: 1072-864 (.554) [2042-2048, 2105-2110]
AL Post: 3 (ALW), 4 (WC) - ALDS Win: 3 - ALCS Champ: 1 - WS Champ: 1

NLW: Rockies + Padres Record: 3230-2753 (.540) [2017-2042, 2072-2082]
NL Post: 18 (NLW), 4 (WC) - NLDS Win: 7 - NLCS Champ: 4 - WS Champ: 0
I should clarify - I'm not mad at people who send in lists. You're still doing your job as a GM - so I'm cool with that. But at the last few drafts we consistently have 3-5 teams just saying "screw it" and having someone else do it.

I'm a bit selfish about player quality, but I'm even more selfish about the time I put in. I put in this much time for my team. others that skate by on the work of another GM trivialize that time. Be there, do a list, or take what you're given.
AL Champion 12 times
While I sort of agree with you, I think its a good thing in a way. Its better to not have a handful of teams cherry pick all the good talent. Maybe its just me but your gripe seems to come off like your mad you can't get all the best talent. While I frown upon it, its better to have someone draft for you than be auto picked. Thats how teams get ruined. It should however come with a mandatory fee, as having someone draft for you is much better than being auto picked.
It isn't about getting the best talent, it's about watching someone to lazy to do their own work hand off the responsibility to someone else.

It would be like me saying "Hey Mike...I really want Player X from that team - since you're a better trade negotiator....could you work that out for me?" We'd never allow that and it would be absurd if we did. Yet, year in and year out, we have teams drafting for others, which is essentially the same thing.

Do a list if you're worried about being autopicked. My problem is people who do nothing and then cherry pick a good drafter to do their work for them. That's your job as a GM, not someone else. If you don't want to put the work in - fine, but unless you're actually designated by the league to run another team, you shouldn't be. Somehow the draft has circumvented that rather simple idea.
AL Champion 12 times
Ya I am in total agreement, be at the draft or send a list.
World Champs: 2071, 2106, 2108
I just don't see the big deal in this. People have lives and they sometimes cannot sit through out the whole draft or something comes up at the last minute. Why not ask someone you trust to help you out? I think I am a decent drafter and I have had people step in for me because I was tired/sick or had to get to bed for work. I think this gripe is a little overboard.
Cubs GM 2010-2021
2017 & 2019 World Champions
LAA GM 2022-2035
2028, 2029, 2032 and 2034 World Champions
Last minute and other scenarios like that are fine, but that's not what has been happening. There is this bizarro time at the draft in this league in which GMs just hand off their responsibility without anyone questioning it. It's really not any different than handing off trading duties to another GM. You're making significant talent decisions for other GMs.

If this is ok...why don't we assign GMs to draft for everyone who can't make it then?
AL Champion 12 times
It is stupid but in the end its better for league parity or at least in theory it should be. I can say though it is disheartning to know that I can put hours in to scouting the draft and then another team can just ask a guy like JHC to draft for them, when they know he's likley not going to say no just cause jhc is a nice guy. In the end though there is nothing we can really do. If we decide to punish this then a gm could just lie and say something serious came up and no one would know the difference. We would either have to make it you either be here and draft or senf in a list if you didnt want to be autopicked.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »