• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Talent Issues 2022
I don't think it's nearly as pressing of a need as it was two seasons ago but I still feel talent is slightly inflated. Please see the previous League Suggestion if this is news to you.

Since it was successful and didn't produce crazy results I'd like to ask for another round of drops.

If you have 80s or 90s overall players and feel you can live without them please volunteer them to be slaughtered for the sake of league health. If it's more of a benefit to lose the contract than the talent it will be rejected so choose carefully.

Please reply with suggestions/thoughts/hate/etc. This isn't mandatory and I can't toss you a bonus but league health is something I hope everyone can work together to help!

-DJ

Use the following format
Code:
Player Name:
Contract Status: (Xyrs/Xamount OR Xamont/arby status)
Houston Astros - 2012/2016/2023/2025 Champs!
Cumulative Record: 1894 - 1184 (.615%)
HOU

Player Name: Denis Otega (86)
Contract Status: Entering Final Year of Arby (5.5M will be his 1.33x amount, do not want to pay it but will if people protest)

Player Name: Ryan Flaherty (83)
Contract Status: 1yr/7,000,000 (I will pay full amount would likely release anyways)

Player Name: Brian Chaffin (81)
Contract Status: League Min

Player Name: Joaquin Ramirez (86)
Contract Status: League Min

I don't have any 90s this time around unfortunately but hopefully this will help out.
DUDE, AGAIN?????????? I understood the first time, but jeez, what are you even talking about man? At least wait awhile, honestly with the injuries in this league(helped kill off some of my talent) and I have young RP at beginning of year that were like 85 or up and UNDER 25 just dropped to 81 before any injuries this year alone. I honestly think the talent level is perfectly fine right now.
DJ, feel free to kill anyone off that is above an 80 rating on LAA that does not have any upside.
Cubs GM 2010-2021
2017 & 2019 World Champions
LAA GM 2022-2035
2028, 2029, 2032 and 2034 World Champions
Irrelevant. The simplest way to explain it is that:

NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING EXCEPT lowering THE NUMBER OF 90s/80s PLAYERS under the Player Settings menu IMPACTS TALENT LEVELS. Period. If you still feel that injuries or player longevity or anything else can impact the cumulative talent reread the capital letters over and over again until you change your mind.

Seriously, read them one more time even if you do get it. Because if you don't accept that aspect of Mogul you can't really examine talent without misleading yourself. Now, if you feel injuries impact health too much, too many rookies develop or too many veterans fade, etc. Then we're talking about completely separate issues and we'd require completely separate adjustments to address them properly. I'll edit this when I get home but off the top of my head I believe we're still at 17-20 players of 80s/90s overall per team. That's 510 - 600 above average & star players.

The problem we run into is the fact that mogul limits the number of stats it generates. Let's say an even half of our conservative estimate are hitters (250) and that Mogul limits total HRs to 4500 (there were 4552 in 2011 total) we're averaging 18 HR per player. Now this number doesn't mean anything per se but if you lowered that from 250 to even 200 you're looking at 22.5 HR per player. Again, the actual number is meaningless on it's own but it illustrates very well that fewer players results in the remaining players have a greater impact.

Ultimately this plays out to our detriment in two ways: Inconsistency AND the places/players with the most talent drowning out the rest. I don't think lowering talent and having 5 fresh faces in October was a coincidence and is something we hadn't seen since 2 years after we over inflated talent. I'm not forcing anybody to do this I understand this isn't something teams can easily afford to do but at the end of the day it adds parity and realism
(10-03-2011, 07:31 PM)dejota Wrote: NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING EXCEPT lowering THE NUMBER OF 90s/80s PLAYERS under the Player Settings menu IMPACTS TALENT LEVELS. Period. If you still feel that injuries or player longevity or anything else can impact the cumulative talent reread the capital letters over and over again until you change your mind.

This deserves at least some nuance - the issues aren't unrelated. The problem is that Mogul doesn't reduce talent levels by limiting development or shortening career production, etc. It does it Tanya Harding style. So injuries are related - they are the mechanism by which the game is balancing talent.

Before we fully commit to this - can we please see a comparison of where we were a year ago and now? Or some hard numbers on what the levels actually are?

Personally (and purely anecdotally) I don't think this issue is still as pressing, I think another year of watching the talent levels would be more prudent.
World Champion 2018, 2021, 2026, 2030, 2035, 2037, 2039
AL Champion 12 times
FCM Best Record-Holder - 121-41 2028
Overall Record: 3530-1978 .641%
I'm the first to concede there's very little raw data especially worth comparing. There's basically three ways I can think on the fly and none are useful:

-20.2 80s/90s player per team or 606 total
-That's 80% or 4 out of every 5 players are capable, if you will, of solid to good maybe even great production
-The number of stats that would be available to distribute

I think I feel there's still work to be done because I don't believe at any point in baseball history where 4/5 players were above average. I also feel that you get very bland, unrealistic and less random results when the game is obligated to divvy up its limited stats to an over inflated talent pool. It's very difficult to explain but I hope you see what I mean with the stats distribution.
I agree with DJ on this one. I think we are almost there but we need to give this one last push.
Well i guess I have trouble looking at it in such a shallow fashion - what percentage of that 20.2 is 80s and what is 90s?

With the stats distribution I think the problem is, and it is for all talent related issues, the mogul issue. Personally I don't see it as a problem at this point. I worry that the more we tweak for perfection/realism the less fun the file is going to be to play.
World Champion 2018, 2021, 2026, 2030, 2035, 2037, 2039
AL Champion 12 times
FCM Best Record-Holder - 121-41 2028
Overall Record: 3530-1978 .641%
I personally think you panic right now trying to make sure the file is as perfect as it can get. I admit you know more about this type of thing than I do, but I just think you are worrying at the moment too much. I just don't get why you keep doing this, but yet you don't want to knock farm system down from 93 to 85. It seems sooo freaking simple to me, knock down farm system talents for entire league, if you do that, then it helps I think more than what you are doing now. I know some may not like that, but I feel right now like if you do this again like you want, 2 mogul years later you are gonna panic again and wanna do something again. Just stop man, this is a mogul league, nothing right now is bad, talent levels is fine, leave it like it is for now. Like andy said, keep an eye on this and in future do something, but not now.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »