• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Way to help Spread Talent
This has been used in other leagues and it basically combines waivers with the rule 5.

Since a lot of people here agree that we have a talent issue here is what I suggest:

If a team has a player over X overall making over X amount then they are subject to be claimed by any team. Once claimed it plays out like a normal waiver claim except that the player can not be traded. He either has to be placed on the main roster or let go to the claiming team which then needs to placed on their main roster.

In conclusion this would help spread around the exxcess talent, without having to go through the dragging process of a rule 5 draft.
I would have no problem if it was a vet that was being moved in a rule 5 type of situation. However, if it was a prospect that is just peaking like on my team Halloway at 83/94. I am keeping him down in the minors another season to delay his arb clock. If a player like Halloway was included in this rule 5, then I would have an issue.
Cubs GM 2010-2021
2017 & 2019 World Champions
LAA GM 2022-2035
2028, 2029, 2032 and 2034 World Champions
Yeah, I mean guys who are on a mlb contract or are passed 6 years of mlb service time. The latter is because we can sign guys to minor league deals in FA and just stick them in the minors all year.
1.5M should be the amount. under 6 years of service.
Oakland A's
2015-Current
(18 seasons)
1,340-1,577
74-.44-87.66
4 AL West titles
2 ALDS Series appearance
1 WS appearance
If we have an issue with talent distribution then it's in our best interest to work out some sort of 25/40 man roster rules and/or a Rule V draft so it happens once per year on a set date to prevent situations like Sean described.

If the issue is talent simply being too high like I think it is then simply moving around talent is enough. If the consensus is we have unrealistically high talent then it needs to be lowered because it bleeds into many other aspects of mogul. Not trying to hijack a thread I just want to make sure we're not trying to cure the flu with alegra.
Houston Astros - 2012/2016/2023/2025 Champs!
Cumulative Record: 1894 - 1184 (.615%)
(06-26-2011, 11:37 PM)mike Wrote: This has been used in other leagues and it basically combines waivers with the rule 5.

Since a lot of people here agree that we have a talent issue here is what I suggest:

If a team has a player over X overall making over X amount then they are subject to be claimed by any team. Once claimed it plays out like a normal waiver claim except that the player can not be traded. He either has to be placed on the main roster or let go to the claiming team which then needs to placed on their main roster.

In conclusion this would help spread around the exxcess talent, without having to go through the dragging process of a rule 5 draft.

How would we police this system?

[Image: PittsburghPirates.jpg] GM  2010-2017:  572-724  .441 W%
        Best Year: 2015: 86-76 (3rd NL Cent)
Yankees GM: 2019-2022ish
WAIVERS
All players (not injured) in AAA making $1M or more salary can be claimed on waivers on the forum – with an e-mail sent to the team’s owner. The player’s current team has 48 hours from the 1st claim to allow the player to go, or to move the player into the major league roster. If more than one team claims, lowest record gets him after 48 hours from 1st claim. Claims made in April – go by the previous season’s W/L record.

If the waiver claim is denied by moving the player to the major league roster, the player must remain on the major league roster for the remainder of the season. The Commish will not track this, so owners must be watching their own claims. If any owner notes a claimed player returned to AAA, the player will be awared to the original claiming team immediately. Injured players may be sent down, and left there after healthy but subject to future waiver claims. (1983)

Thats from an old league site that I used to be in.

To Dj's pointL: I think having a rule 5 draft would just be tedious. It's a lot of work for barley any player movement. This waiver addition does the same thing without having to get everyone together at one time. However I do like tha idea of a 25/40man roster. This way if we demote a veteran he can be subject to the claim or we can come up with a rule or something to simulate the fact that not everyone will accept a demotion and woudl rather be released.

The amount a contract has to be in order to get waiver claimed would be up to the league or DJ could make a ruling on that.
(06-27-2011, 01:35 PM)mike Wrote: WAIVERS
All players (not injured) in AAA making $1M or more salary can be claimed on waivers on the forum – with an e-mail sent to the team’s owner. The player’s current team has 48 hours from the 1st claim to allow the player to go, or to move the player into the major league roster. If more than one team claims, lowest record gets him after 48 hours from 1st claim. Claims made in April – go by the previous season’s W/L record.

If the waiver claim is denied by moving the player to the major league roster, the player must remain on the major league roster for the remainder of the season. The Commish will not track this, so owners must be watching their own claims. If any owner notes a claimed player returned to AAA, the player will be awared to the original claiming team immediately. Injured players may be sent down, and left there after healthy but subject to future waiver claims. (1983)

Thats from an old league site that I used to be in.

I like it. I would also extend it to players with X rating and X service time to account for players that fell through the cracks in FA, but could be useful to other teams. Here's my attempt to edit things to accomodate FCM:

Player Criteria:

1. All players in the minors making $1M or more salary
2. All players in the minors with 6 years or more of service time

Any player that meets either of the two criteria can be claimed. The claiming team needs to post the claim in the forum and notify to GM via PM. The player’s current team has 24 hours from the 1st claim to allow the player to go, or to move the player into the major league roster. If more than one team claims, lowest record gets him after 24 hours from 1st claim. Claims made in April – go by the previous season’s W/L record.
Cle

Cleveland Record5304-4625 (.534) [2054-2071, 2083-2104, 2110-2131]
AL Post: 15 (ALC), 11 (WC) - ALDS Win: 11 - ALCS Champ: 6 - WS Champ: 3

ALW: Mariners + Angels Record: 1072-864 (.554) [2042-2048, 2105-2110]
AL Post: 3 (ALW), 4 (WC) - ALDS Win: 3 - ALCS Champ: 1 - WS Champ: 1

NLW: Rockies + Padres Record: 3230-2753 (.540) [2017-2042, 2072-2082]
NL Post: 18 (NLW), 4 (WC) - NLDS Win: 7 - NLCS Champ: 4 - WS Champ: 0
I would love to see 25 man rosters but I've always though it was requiring too much additional effort on the part of GMs. The simplest way I could ever think of was having the admins maintain a forum and asking GMs to post any 25 man roster changes along with their .team (any players going to DL or veterans being demoted/promoted). Before every sim GMs could scour lineup postings for the guys who will be on waivers and after the Sim the simmer (or designated Waiver Watcher) could review 25 man rosters updating any changes and posting players who were available on waivers (and, of course, catch GMs trying to be sneaky). Lastly, we'd have to implement league priority waiver rules IMO for this to work.

Recap:
-Only additional effort by GMs: Noting 25 man transactions with weekly lineups
-Waiver Watcher maintains 25 Man Roster Forum so info is readily avail. and easy to access
-Veterans able to be claimed (+3yrs service time OR not on draft day contract), Amateurs safe (essentially unlimited options first 3 years service time, no options once he gets a big boy contract)

I think this is simple, doesn't require more work on GMs parts except noting their changes (only sim2 on since your sim1 DC is your 25 man) and would help rebuilding teams by providing another avenue to acquire cheap talent.
Houston Astros - 2012/2016/2023/2025 Champs!
Cumulative Record: 1894 - 1184 (.615%)
(06-27-2011, 02:01 PM)dejota Wrote: -Veterans able to be claimed (+3yrs service time OR not on draft day contract), Amateurs safe (essentially unlimited options first 3 years service time, no options once he gets a big boy contract)

I'd only have a problem with this part. This is assuming that a player has exhausted all of their options after their initial 3 seasons, which isn't necessarily the case.

Though, I'd still say Mike's suggestion looks easier. GMs don't have to remember to post transactions, which will be forgotten at times, and it leaves it all up to the GM. If a player meets to criteria then they can be claimed and the current team has to make the choice to let the player go or call them up. It seems much more simple than having to watch a 25-man roster.
Cle

Cleveland Record5304-4625 (.534) [2054-2071, 2083-2104, 2110-2131]
AL Post: 15 (ALC), 11 (WC) - ALDS Win: 11 - ALCS Champ: 6 - WS Champ: 3

ALW: Mariners + Angels Record: 1072-864 (.554) [2042-2048, 2105-2110]
AL Post: 3 (ALW), 4 (WC) - ALDS Win: 3 - ALCS Champ: 1 - WS Champ: 1

NLW: Rockies + Padres Record: 3230-2753 (.540) [2017-2042, 2072-2082]
NL Post: 18 (NLW), 4 (WC) - NLDS Win: 7 - NLCS Champ: 4 - WS Champ: 0
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »