Poll: Do You Accept This Trade Offer?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
57.89%
11 57.89%
No
42.11%
8 42.11%
Total 19 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Propose a Trade
I hate this one

1. Teams can keep 3 out of every 5 players rated 90+ overall that are Free Agent eligible
2. Ratings will be determined by the World Series file
3. If a player who is signed in-season becomes a 90+ rating by the end of the season, he will count towards being 1 of the 3 retained 90+ rated players
4. If a player qualifies for fallback arbitration, the team can offer it to them
5. If a team allows 3+ players to test the market, they will be credited to keep additional players during the next cycle
i.e. If COL allows 3 90+ players to go to FA, COL will be able to sign 4 90+ players during the next cycle

It was in another league I was in, and it was stupid as hell, if I want to overpay to keep players I should be able to.
Resignings charts aren't as effective as Agents for creating FA depth and I don't really think that's the issue. (And no I'm not biased ;))

The issue is very basic and b/c one person asked for an explanation that's now been latched onto and my points are so far out of context this convo is getting mucky.... It's simply that too many studs means every nonstud is less effective and less valuable. If there are too many 90s players, the value and impact of the 80s players are mitigated.

When you have a superstar driven league, talent tends to pool and average players are mitigated. See the NBA is 90s versus now. There's no question there's more talent now than in the 90s and so to win you have to join with other superstar talent. We're seeing the same thing in FCM and teams who have pieced together decent rosters the right way aren't able to reap the rewards while teams who haven't like HOU, NYY, TOR, CHC find themselves flush with talent from the ever expanding talent pool. Now this alone isn't an issue, as Sean pointed out Great teams and Dynasties can be built.

When it does become a problem is when the numbers are consistently above what we agreed to, and set, as a league. Especially when you look at rosters and are seeing 8-10 90s players...on 5 or 6 teams. Going back to 1900 you can count on one hand how many teams have had that many "stars", or 90s overall players if you will, at one time. I went back 3 seasons and there's consistently 130 stars at any given moment which means some teams are going to have 8-10 studs. I don't care how good you are at drafting getting 5-6 90s players and still having enough ammo to acquire the other 2-3 to compete just ain't happening without some really insanely good luck. Again, if I'm rebuilding this is really freaking demoralizing.

If we drop the number of 90s players, teams rebuilding don't need to find as many 90s players to get back to the top. That's realistic.
Houston Astros - 2012/2016/2023/2025 Champs!
Cumulative Record: 1894 - 1184 (.615%)
What about the talent that is already here as opposed to the talent coming in? Of the 13 90 peaked 1B's half of them are drafted into the league, and the majority of those guys come from either '10 or '14. From overalls 70-89 only about....5 or 6 are going to make it that far and maybe 1 or 2 in the next 3-4 years. And it seems that way for all the positions(didn't get much into the pitchers but all the fielding). A lot of the top 40-80 players overall aren't going to peak in the 90's, most in the mid 80's.
Though I will say the number of catchers w/ the ability to hit over .300 and hit 30+ HR is kinda ludicrous.(contact 88 and power 85 min is my eyes). I'd start w/ seeing which positions truly have an abundance of over talented stars(2B and CF at a glance of overalls and peaks seems to be ok.) and seeing if I can't lower that by a little bit. Truly talented players aren't supposed to be so abundant and I'd go position by position and ask "how many of these guys are talented as opposed to how many are supposed to be." I can only think of 4-6 talented 2B's and the rest are some type of role player.(Cano, Pedroia, Prado, Utley)

I don't like the idea of an immediate jump from excellent farm to average. maybe do it over 3 seasons(partly b/c of my rebuilding effort but lower it this off season to very good, and keep it there next off season and the season after that drop it to average). That will detour a lot of that talent that is draft this year and last.
Let the talent that is already here and aging slowly leak out and I'd assume by the end of the 3 years for the farm, quite a few of those players will be gone.
Oakland A's
2015-Current
(18 seasons)
1,340-1,577
74-.44-87.66
4 AL West titles
2 ALDS Series appearance
1 WS appearance
I'm going to finally chime in here. Simply put there is way too many studs in the league. It shouldn't even be feaseable to have any more than 4 star players on a team unless your the Yankees or Yankee's-esque type team. I think a four pronged aproach would fix it.

Lower the talent levels, it takes 2 seasons to average out anyway so Its not like all of a sudden your stud 99 is going to drop from 99-95 or 90-85 with a click of the button. It will be a process.

And like someone else has said lower the farm systems. This will keep older talent stay productive for longer periods of time. On the flip side though I think to be fair to anyone who has been rebuilding or has lots of specs that it needs to be done over a period of time. Lower ot this offseason keep it for a season or 2 and then lower it down to average.

No more IFA's. None. Period. End of story. It inflates the pool of talent even further and like I've always said in order to bring in a 90 IFA someones player thats already in the league will have to get bumped down to 89 and same with a spec. Mainly the fact it inflates talent though is the real issue at hand.

No Winterball. Either let everyone send 1 player for free or get rid of it. Teams with cash don't deserve an upper hand when developing players. And on top of that it just inflates talent unless they get the dreaded 500 day injury.
I voted no for the simple reason whenever changes happen im hit with bad luck
I still have not voted, so is there going to be any chance in your idea, or is it as stands DJ?
so how much are contract buyouts / releases? still at 100%?
Yup, gooooo 135 90s players and their tendency to pool together due to the grand canyon of a talent gap between the have's and have not's...keeping talent inflated def. makes their jobs easier!
Houston Astros - 2012/2016/2023/2025 Champs!
Cumulative Record: 1894 - 1184 (.615%)
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »