• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Draft Review 2105
Ari : Arizona only had a handful of later picks(2-3rds and 1 in the 4-6) so not a ton to choice from this late in the draft.  However they did well with what they had, Northrop is young and has a high GB% with low HR, a lot might need to go right for him to be very good but it is easy to see just enough going right for him to hit the bigs.  Axmacher as well another young pitcher with upside as a RP he shoudl have plenty of time to grow and i could see him in a pen and LF CHristian could end up a sneaky pick late in the draft. Overall not a lot of picks and most late but a good job picking with what was there.

Atl : Checkmate bitches.  The reason Stang does what he does is because when he gets the chance he drafts like this.  Loughrey might be the best player in the draft the fact he slipped to #3 is why Stang had to go to the hospital for an erection lasting longer then 4 hours.  He is a beast at the plate and in the field he will crush and anchors the middle of the Braves lineup.  While i am not as high on Hewes as some others are there is a lot to like there and with plenty of time to play get ready get set before he has to GO, things could go very well for him.  Dickson and Castellano at 17 year olds that GIlly is drooling thinking about, lots of upside in their builds in a class where SP was at a super Premium Stang got what he needed to fuel the rebuilding fires.  Liked the pick of Mathis as well in the 3rd and Wilson is the 4th might end up a massive oversite to others.

Bal : The 35m (Plus lord knows how much more) draft.  PR took the most exciting bat in the draft, at the very least the most ready bat.  I loved Brown he was the one bat id have traded up to grab he is borderline ready to play now and he is a jump or two away form greatness.  Yes the knock on him is that he is a low floor and not the highest ceiling, not sure i agree i think the low floor and high ceiling is what makes him so exciting.  Sir Reginald Hill was a very exciting pick this is a bat i was hoping to nab but failed to pull the trigger on, he should be a good guy to partner with Brown they could end up a gruesome twosome in the middle of the Baltimore lineup for many years to come.  I have money please take it, and with that Muerillo became a Oriole, he looks to be a solid SS with good potential but he will be forever known as teh 35 million dollar man.  Matsuura, Fritch and Wendell are solid projectable SP even if only one becomes useable you are happy with it but the bulk of the Baltimore draft was made up in Brown and Hill.

Bos : The Fred Sox have very few picks in the draft this year and sadly took no one of note.  Verdon is a 3B that cannot really play 3B and while he has a projectable power eye build i am not sure how good he will be i fear end ends up a mundance bench player, and i fear the rest of the late picks for Fred have the same upside, i hope i am wrong and get that messgae in my inbox from Fred telling me i dont fucked up again, but i am not sure i will this time.

Chc : See Seattle where all of their picks ended up.  Though the deal is working great for the Cubs who look like a playoff team once again.

Chw : I don't think they had enough picks.  The question will always be did Mike do the right thing by holding tight and making all of his picks, or should he have used them to move up and select potentially better guys, only time will tell.  However, the guys he did take look pretty good, I really do like Gine i think he will be a very good OF with a very nice bat to plug into the middle of your lineup, Toscaini is a guy that will either be very good or very average i lean toward him being good so we shall see.  Gilling and Ceballos are the Wifi type guys control/movement builds I think I like Ceballos a little more than Gilling but i man be wrong on not liking Gilling a lot.  I am not as high on CHaivez as others he is a nice build that usually crushes in the league though i am not  sure there was not better options on the board at this point.  Also was a big fan of Lieberman and McLugash in the later 3rd both have a lot to like of them. All in all a good draft for the Sox of White.

Cin  I like HInestrosa but i feel he went about a round too early.  I am a big fan of grabbing the best RP as early as possible and have spent many an early 1st on a RP, this was not the RP to do that with.  I think he will be pretty good but I don't think he will end up worth the slot he was taken in especially with really high end talent still on the board.  I like the 2nd round pick of Cooper quiet a bit, good lefty bat that will be a contact Power build in teh mold of MacCalister of Seattle, Barahono is another nice pick up had be been a little younger he woudl have gone a lot earlier, Couse has a solid looking build if his control keeps up he could be a solid pitchign option.  All in all a solid draft for the Reds.

Cle : For a team with a ton of picks they ended up not having to pick many players.  Players going right before Dan takes them cuased a flurry of trades.  Sprague is a guy that might be one of those most slept on guys he is a build that i am a bit afraid of personally because ive been snakebit by them in the past, we are looking at a Dittmer type SP, if he can keep the HR down, which is a BIG IF, then he will be very good as is he should be good enough.  I like the pick of Peck almost as much as i love his Pickled Peppers could end up a sneaky good find, and i loved Bielski he was high on my late round list and i think he ends up a Peter special.

Col   Best SP in the draft ummmm yes please.  He is a 17 year old even people not named Gilly would love.  He has two good SP a cemented Con/Mov build good K:BB low HR there is nothign not to love far and beyond the best SP in teh draft while some could argue for one of the good bats its is easy to see why he went #1.  Santander is another one that slipped farther then maybe he should have and that is probably due to the inflated HR totals the last two seasons if those come back into check he will a good SP.  Juritsch is also a sneaky good pick in the 5th shoudl find his way easily into a bullpen.

Det : I am not sure if i like Galarsa or not, he had his jump already and while it puts him in stairclimb right now the offseaosn birthday can eitehr cement this as a solid pick or destroy him.  The stats are somewhat there the HR dont appear to be an issue but time will tell on him, all in all not a bad pick but im not sure if there wasnt better cats in the crate still.  Reddan is a solid enough dart.

Fla : The Marlins Draft this year was like a fine wine, it just got better the further it went on.  I was not a big fan of Cogan he came across for me as a "What will he do well" type but if i trust any GM to draft me a OF it would be HH so if he likes him i more than trust him and his ability to get OF talent.  I liked the picks of Ursin and Dailey a lot Ursin has a high health which might have kept him on the board longer then he should have been but good lord the potential is there, Dailey as well might be called a steal in a year or two.  I like Soto as well another nice projectable powe bat.  All in all i liked what HH is doing in FLA.

Hou No real picks to speak of though i did like Rolland who they got in the late 4th he is a good projectable bat and could see the MLB one day.

Kcr : 18 year old with some upside but not much to see here otherwise

Laa : Oh look a ALW team with too many picks.  MacCammon at 4 was a surprise with all the great bats on the board, but you see why he went.  Vitals are where you want to see them the stats are as well K;BB is good HR are not an issue and we have seen his drop and it was small so he should have plenty of time to grow so there is a lot to like here and while none of the previous 3 teams will be mad they didn't take him there are plenty that will wish they had to chance to.  I liked the picks of Davenport and Lenehan i don't think either become All Stars but both have a lot of room to grow nd both project to be good players and should pan out nicely.  In the later rounds guys that could or should have gone a bit earlier are Widdicome and Candelarie on the pitchign side and Santry, Zarrillo and Miller on the hitting side.  This was a very good start to what is becoming a 2 decade LA rebuild.

Lad  One pick to rule them all, one pick to find them, and in the darkness bind them.  Not a ton of room to grow but i like O'Neill some speed great D and a good or very good eye, if he gets the jumps he becoes a solid low key starter good pick for the one and only.

Mil I said in the POD i did not like Balsdon and i was hammered for it, and not gently.  After taking the morning to look at him more and really dig in.....i still think the same.  I might be wrong but this he will steal all the bases all the time 50 Steals seems like a pipe dream, and not the Mario one with a Princess at the end more like the one that ends toothless in an alley.  Again i am not always right he shoudl end up a solid OF but good lord the speed is 79 or 82 atm and doesnt project to guy much higher he has a high tendancy sure but hsi aggresiveness is ok however the stealing vital is low as is desicison making so i dont see it. but feel free Mr. Balsdon to prove me wrong.  As mentioned i did not like the pitching in this class but the darts Jmaine took in the later rounds seems to be the bst throws possible.

Min  Ummm...When you take a 2B at 10 and then one at 44 and the one at 44 seems to eb the better of the two a mistake was made.  Rogers will have a good glove but i see a very mundane bat so i am not sure why he went this high let alone in teh Top 10.  However the draft got better in a hurry for Poldi in MInny.  Toops and Kuhn are both great grabs in teh top of the 2nd i really like the pair and the way they project.  Wilson and Waycott both look like furture starters at 2B and 3B and i really liked the pair.  Nail, Mayo, Adams all nice projectable pieces, Poldi has done a phenomenal job bring Minny back from teh brink.  Needs to stand tall on those Top Round picks moving forward but the pieces are really starting to fall into place.

Mon No picks and No Specs continue to shorten the Montreal window. Chances of his picks for next year being dealt Tuesday at 10 PM are at an all time high.

Nym  No picks here either but they got a Silverton who looks good and are a team on the rise as is.

Nyy Sadly NYY did not send Seattle all the picks but that is ok.  Boyd i love dude should be a major bat that crushes for a long time, DH maybe 1B could be but who cares i love this pick i love this bat i love his projections Neighsayors be damned he will be GOOOODDD.   RIchards was a steal in the 2nd he is one of those power hitting RH that people overlook and when they look back they go, shit, and Rocky will sit there and smile whilst you profain.  I like Franklin as well sure he has a low contact but he is 16 and has plenty of time to grow nice pick here as well.

Oak  I think Fiarfield is a nice looking 1B, he isnt a 3B any more then Snow was, he will be a damn good bat and that more than makes up for the lack of ability to stick at 3B.  People will give this pick crap and sure there were better bat on the board but you cant be mad at taking a good one at 11 overall.  SP Robinson was the player no one wanted and that might be a good thing, guys like this dont always die somethings they Phoenix the shit of it and i think that might be what happens here he might just Phoenix and be a guy folks get a bit mad about.  

Phi I wasnt super high on Barrieau but i think that he is probalby a good option, espeically if his GB% goes up to 48-50.  If that is the case you get a top end of the rotiaotn SP on your hands espeically if the HR stay low.  IF he doesnt get that he could still be a good SP but i am not sure how good if that is the case, i like the pick where it was taken regardless of my quesiotns on teh player.  REally liked the picks of Davis and WIlliams good players that could end up queit good.  REbolloso was a great late round high peak guy sure he doesnt look that good but Dave gets guys like this and they turn out better then most think so i think he does very well here adn overall in the draft.

Pit GB says hello WS 2115.  Paleois was my 2nd favorite SP in teh draft and the fact he falls to GB at 12 is great for him.  He looks like an Ace to me espeically if hte HR are not a issue good god folks need to stop letting GB get all the best SP each draft.  Woodworth is one that was not as much on my radar but the more i look at him the more i like him, another build ive been snake bit on in the past but when they turn out boy do they turn out GB gets 2 top end rotaiotn canidates in a bad pitchign draft and the rest of the NLC will pay the price.  I liked Burress as well a low key very nice pen option and Kniiftion might be a steal as late as he went as well.

Sdp  Boy oh boy did i love his draft, top to bottom love love loved it.  I like Olds I know some dont and there are some questions and concerns with him but i dig the cat.  Switch hitting guys with equal parts Contact and power with a D that I am in the minority with liking i think people are surprised how well he turns out and i thnk the NLW gets scared how well he turns out.  Fischer is the dude people say fuck when they realize they could have drafted him Switch hitting power pat who is ready to play now and is a solid enough defender.  THis might be known as the draft that won the West.  I like the potential of Dvorak and i love the pick of Debolt he is a 1B power hitter in the end and will be pretty good, also loved the steal of Gustafson in the 5th watch that cat.

Sfg One pick one Love. Truelove.

Sea  I wont talk about the Seattle draft bc fuck you all however had I the end comment would have been the same "Suck It!"

Stl  I liked the draft for GD, i like MaDoland he is a sure thing bullpen peice, maybe not great maybe not even good but a sure thing and i think he ends up pretty good.  Garcia was one of if not the best Catcher in teh draft and a good pick up also loved the 6th round pick of Worthy, i hope that he is.

Tex  Another rebuild in Texas starts out ok.  Blankenship was one of the better SP in the draft to grab him at 15 is a good get and should prove to be good in teh future though the question becomes for which team.  I was not very high on Lawrie but who knows that could be another one i am wrong on in the end.  I really liekd the pick of Bartfield he was one i didn trealize was still on the board, HOT TAKE, he is better than Rodgers.  Liked the get of Knollys late might be the name might be the build might be the mind slowly dying inside my head.

Tor Toronto was allowed to have 1 pick due to sheer stubborness alone this year and they are Bound to do so again at some point.  Ray is a solid enough player i liekd him a bit of speed and a bit of d and a bit of a bat, not sure if he ends up being anything but solid enough at this part of the class.

Wsh :  I was not a big Secter fan but i get the grab Peter generally knows what he is doing whilst drafting so i will leave it to the fact he is 16 and projectable that he will be good.  Love the Klute pick and mic drop, He is that guy that no one wants until he develops then everyone fucking wants him.  I might be wrong but i think he ends up pretty good in the end much to the chagrin of Peter haters.  Wearmouth was the sneaky Pete pick this year, dude will end up a Peter SPeical or if all goes well a mainstay in the Washington lineup.
Pit GM
'08- Current: Pirates GM Record
'56-'08: Seattle GM Record 4606-3510 .568 win%
'20-'32: San Francisco GM Record 875-1231 .415 win%
'10-'14: Minnesota GM Record 324-324 .500 win%
World Series Champion 2010, 2089, 2092, 2095
American League Champion 2010, 2062, 2089, 2092, 2093, 2095

Best Record Full Year (Regular Season and Playoffs Combined):  131-45 .744 win%
Winner of first ever FCM World Series
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »