• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2099 Nokes Draft Grades
01. Chc 3B/2B Paul Wilkins
There are things to like about him and things to not like about him. Clearly his defense is good and he could even suffice at SS if needed, but his best value will be at either 3B or 2B. With our current Wheels Race, some might not play him up the middle, but a future 80 speed combined with high 90s range will certainly play at either 2B or SS. Where the praise train stops is at his eye. He has a low K/low BB eye. Those are perpetual contact inflators. I really don't know where I'd project his walk totals getting (we'll know more once he's in the minors), but he's going to need to rely on getting to elite contact levels in order to hold some value offensively. He's a tough one to grade, but I just don't know if his bat will be enough of an impact to justify quite this high.

Grade: [Image: 3-Stars.png]

02. Sfg SS Louis Mellett
In the time of The Vroom, this might have been the guy to latch onto at #1. If we're going to compare him to last year's #1 (Keuhl), Mellett has better base running skills at a lesser overall and age. Mellett should have no problem becoming competent enough with the bat and the glove to allow his speed to add the beautiful bonus points to a quality player.

Grade: [Image: 5-Stars.png]

03. Bos C Alfredo Jaramillo
He reminds me of Marcus Aguilar - you know, the Hall of Famer. He has that intruiging build where his contact could become really good while still having solid power and, while even though he has a bit of a low K eye, he should walk a decent amount. His arm could certainly be a mid-30 CS% type of a cannon.

Grade: [Image: 5-Stars.png]

04. Hou SP Nat Larson
He's got a very nice GB% and a solid opening build, but I don't think he was the best SP in the draft. The higher OBA numbers are something to hold a little concern with, but he still projects to be a solid pitcher - mid 80s control, upper 70s to low 80s power, and ~90 movement. That's nothing to scoff at, but I tend to think he was taken about 10 slots too early.

05. Mon SP Ben Kelch
He's got a real nice opening build to go along with a good GB rate. Though, even being young, I can't help but be concerned with his home runs. He could certainly outgrow them, but a 1.62 HR/9 in any season is something to take notice. There's also his concerning health. This might be a guy who's norm is to start 25-27 games per season. Even as talented as he could be, a less talented pitcher who you can rely on for 30+ starts per season can give you more value.

06. Kcr SP Malcolm Leventhal
I think he'll look a lot like Kelch in the end. However, I like Leventhal more. He doesn't have any real concerning home run years and the slightly better power is a plus as well (the better health doesn't hurt). Mid 80s control, upper 70s power, and 90s movement is his future.

Grade: [Image: 4-Stars.png]

07. Hou SP Jason Hartwell
Granted his lack of health could hold him back, I think he could be the best SP taken so far. His power is an interesting amount above his still-solid control and both are about his movement. He only has one high home run year (and it's not that bad). Even peaking out at just 90, he projects as 84 control, 88 power, and 91 movement.

Grade: [Image: 4-Stars.png]

08. Ari SP Kevin Tankersley
Even though he projects rather well, I get the sense that he's one of those guys that looks better because of a high peak. He'll certainly be useful in the majors, but how useful will depend on how long he has to develop. He doesn't have a lot of upside and if that suggests only a few years to develop, then he'll need every jump and winterball to get him to his projection.

Grade: [Image: 2-Stars.png]

09. Fla Batting Practice Thrower Tyquann Thomas
He looks like hot trash on a humid day in July. Let's see, what's working against him; he's already jumped, he gives up a ton of home runs, his movement is well behind his control, and for not being a power build his GB% is concernedly low. Maybe he can survive as a LRP or a #5 SP on a rebuilding team.

Grade: [Image: 1-Star.png]

10. Mon SP Brian Adams
I wonder if his Curve, "Cuts Like A Knife." At any rate, he's got a decent build to go along with a very nice GB%. The problem is that it's just decent. he's nothing overly exciting and gets lost in the fold with many of the other SPs. What makes him "Run to You" is that he only dropped three points when he aged. So, at least you have the guarantee of time to develop.

Cle

Cleveland Record5304-4625 (.534) [2054-2071, 2083-2104, 2110-2131]
AL Post: 15 (ALC), 11 (WC) - ALDS Win: 11 - ALCS Champ: 6 - WS Champ: 3

ALW: Mariners + Angels Record: 1072-864 (.554) [2042-2048, 2105-2110]
AL Post: 3 (ALW), 4 (WC) - ALDS Win: 3 - ALCS Champ: 1 - WS Champ: 1

NLW: Rockies + Padres Record: 3230-2753 (.540) [2017-2042, 2072-2082]
NL Post: 18 (NLW), 4 (WC) - NLDS Win: 7 - NLCS Champ: 4 - WS Champ: 0
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »