Poll: Should compensation change?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Players can only be sent for Compensation once
20.69%
6 20.69%
Players can only be sent once for Type A, once for Type B
13.79%
4 13.79%
Returned players cannot be traded until July 1
34.48%
10 34.48%
No changes
31.03%
9 31.03%
Total 29 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Compensation Changes?
I've had some talks with people about potentially altering compensation and Andy has asked to see a poll on the suggested changes. It's basically asking, should compensation change to one of the new options or stay the same.

1. Players are only allowed to be sent for compensation one time in their career - Once a player has been sent for compensation (whether they sign or return), they cannot be comped in the future. This will be noted in their nicknames.

In the event that changes happen, grandfathering current compensation signings would happen.

2. Players can only be sent for Comp A once and Comp B once - If a player is sent for Type A comp, they can be sent for Type B once, but can no longer be sent for Type A in the future. Once a player has been sent for Type B, they can no longer be sent for any compensation in the future. This will be noted in their nicknames as "A" or "B".

In the event that changes happen, grandfathering current compensation signings would happen.

3. Compensation stays as-is, but players returned cannot be traded until July 1 - Returned players would simply be viewed just like every other FA signing and cannot be traded until July 1.

This caveat could be added to either option 1 or 2.

4. No changes to compensation
Cle

Cleveland Record5304-4625 (.534) [2054-2071, 2083-2104, 2110-2131]
AL Post: 15 (ALC), 11 (WC) - ALDS Win: 11 - ALCS Champ: 6 - WS Champ: 3

ALW: Mariners + Angels Record: 1072-864 (.554) [2042-2048, 2105-2110]
AL Post: 3 (ALW), 4 (WC) - ALDS Win: 3 - ALCS Champ: 1 - WS Champ: 1

NLW: Rockies + Padres Record: 3230-2753 (.540) [2017-2042, 2072-2082]
NL Post: 18 (NLW), 4 (WC) - NLDS Win: 7 - NLCS Champ: 4 - WS Champ: 0
Can those of you that voted for 1 or 2 share your thoughts on the trade ban until July?
World Champion 2018, 2021, 2026, 2030, 2035, 2037, 2039
AL Champion 12 times
FCM Best Record-Holder - 121-41 2028
Overall Record: 3530-1978 .641%
Laa

Honestly, I have no problem with returned players being allowed to be traded until July. At that point, no one wanted them at a comp level and maybe they can get some value for them. At the same time if that player wasn't comp worthy in the first place, the team might not be able to get rid of them or at a far less value than they think they are worth. Still keeping the decision to comp a borderline player and suffer the consequences in place.
Here's my thoughts...

Option 1 - I don't like it because I think it's too harsh, too quick. I'm not entirely opposed to it, but I think Option 2 is better. You could say "it's realistic", but it gets lost in the fact that our comp is a hybrid of the old and current compensation system. Reality hasn't necessarily set a precedent in our league.

Option 2 - Obviously I prefer this one, since it's what I voted for. I think in a progression sense that it makes sense that a guy could be Type A once and then go on to be Type B once later in his career. However, I feel once a player goes for Type B, the league has spoken on his value and he can no longer go for compensation.

Option 3 - I think Andy put it best, there's not enough risk for people. This guarantees that you're paying a player $4M, if they return. It could certainly stop some of the "Pray someone gets desperate" comps. I feel adding this with Option 2 would be good, but I feel adding it with Option 1 would be too much.

Option 4 - I'll be blunt on one concern brought up; FA class quality. If you think these changes could have a big effect on FA class quality, then you're clueless or haven't been paying attention. Any of the times when we've made changes to compensation, it's been questioned if it'll hurt FA classes and every time it has zero noticeable effect. Do some players just get resigned? Maybe. But they're the dime a dozen players, not players that will stand out in free agency.

With me posting the compensation threads, it gets a little disheartening to see some of the players that are comped. It feels like I should just type "Returning to...for..." instead of the team and fallback. I also don't think it was the intention of compensation to see players going through compensation 3 or more times (we have 2 this year). I know some contenders have been frustrated when player doesn't get traded, because the other team would rather risk sending the player for compensation. That can seem like sour grapes, but it benefits the league to have teams competing and to have trade activity.

I really think something needs to change and is why I tried to give a number of options. I don't think it needs to be one vote and a decision made. I think we could easily have another vote based on the preferred options of this one.
Cle

Cleveland Record5304-4625 (.534) [2054-2071, 2083-2104, 2110-2131]
AL Post: 15 (ALC), 11 (WC) - ALDS Win: 11 - ALCS Champ: 6 - WS Champ: 3

ALW: Mariners + Angels Record: 1072-864 (.554) [2042-2048, 2105-2110]
AL Post: 3 (ALW), 4 (WC) - ALDS Win: 3 - ALCS Champ: 1 - WS Champ: 1

NLW: Rockies + Padres Record: 3230-2753 (.540) [2017-2042, 2072-2082]
NL Post: 18 (NLW), 4 (WC) - NLDS Win: 7 - NLCS Champ: 4 - WS Champ: 0
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »