• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2018 Offseason Suggestions
I think for FA, it is because people do not want to give up draft picks, I don't unless it is a top notch player like Aroldis, then again I am not going to pay 28 mil a year for him.
I know when I'm referring to tanking I'm not talking about difference makers. I'm talking about guys like Arrenciba or Cozart, guys who won't change the fortunes for teams but who do little things right. There's very few teams who couldn't use a nice defensive minded utility player or a back-up catcher who can handle pitchers, throw well and provide a little pop off the bench.

I don't know if we have too much talent, GMs attitudes (apathy, no confidence in themselves like hokey) aren't on point, boredom, or simply tanking. But something's not on par.

Rocky - Acquiring that useless OFer and the least efficient 25 bombs that comes with him is the exact opposite of fielding the best possible team. If you were arguing for yourself and trying to say you weren't tanking you basically used exhibit A from the prosecution. Not picking on ya or calling you out but that cracked me up.
Houston Astros - 2012/2016/2023/2025 Champs!
Cumulative Record: 1894 - 1184 (.615%)
(04-11-2011, 07:25 PM)dejota Wrote: I know when I'm referring to tanking I'm not talking about difference makers. I'm talking about guys like Arrenciba or Cozart, guys who won't change the fortunes for teams but who do little things right. There's very few teams who couldn't use a nice defensive minded utility player or a back-up catcher who can handle pitchers, throw well and provide a little pop off the bench.

I don't know if we have too much talent, GMs attitudes (apathy, no confidence in themselves like hokey) aren't on point, boredom, or simply tanking. But something's not on par.

Rocky - Acquiring that useless OFer and the least efficient 25 bombs that comes with him is the exact opposite of fielding the best possible team. If you were arguing for yourself and trying to say you weren't tanking you basically used exhibit A from the prosecution. Not picking on ya or calling you out but that cracked me up.

nahhh, about the honzo point I was making is I didn't just sit on all of my money, that is $11 million on the payroll right there, if I really wanted to, I could have just sat on that 11 mil and not worry about it so I was trying to spend like Mike wanted. I just choose to pick my spots.
If we're going to continue with IFA, I think Sean is right - we need more guys coming over to be borderline starters. Virtually everyone coming over is, at some point or another in their career, a legit piece of a contender. It's simply not realistic. Personally I'd do away with it altogether but for a few rare times.

Also, something to keep in mind - with many, many teams starting to bump against their budgets, we may see more and more people hitting FA as well as more talent spreading out around the league as well. I just think we need to give it a season or two - the adjustments made are helping, lets see em out a bit.

On the tanking issue, teams need to be showing a purposeful use with their cash by investing in the draft, winterball, stadiums, whatever. Right now many of the teams we could accuse of tank are not using that sort of approach. Just an observation.
(04-11-2011, 11:26 PM)AndyP Wrote: If we're going to continue with IFA, I think Sean is right - we need more guys coming over to be borderline starters. Virtually everyone coming over is, at some point or another in their career, a legit piece of a contender. It's simply not realistic. Personally I'd do away with it altogether but for a few rare times.

Also, something to keep in mind - with many, many teams starting to bump against their budgets, we may see more and more people hitting FA as well as more talent spreading out around the league as well. I just think we need to give it a season or two - the adjustments made are helping, lets see em out a bit.

On the tanking issue, teams need to be showing a purposeful use with their cash by investing in the draft, winterball, stadiums, whatever. Right now many of the teams we could accuse of tank are not using that sort of approach. Just an observation.

In my defense I have to stock pile money so that I am able to contend w/ a 142M and a 115M payroll budget in Seattle and LAAngels respectively. My issue is that Seattle, w/ a 3.45M in a regional population vs Oakland's 7.2M and they have almost double my budget without warrant. Up until my reign.... 2 WS apperances, and 2 more 1st place finishes 1 2nd place finishes. Seattle owns 4 bottom place finishes in that time span w/ a 3rd place and a 2nd place.... to me I look at that and go wtf? Fan Loyalty isn't much 82-84 seattle, my fans are indifferent while Sea are average. So number wise I don't know how seattle has either A)that big of a budget. or B)I don't have that big of a budget.
Either way I figure 100-110M payroll will have to be the maximum I spend in order to really compete(immediately that is) and there for 80M+ in cash is needed in order to sustain a run like that for about 5 years. There are ideas of a new stadium, but it's impossible to do w/o cutting payroll substantially and not paying anyone for 5-6 seasons.

But I have a plan, and it's not to cut payroll and hope that my player develop.
Oakland A's
2015-Current
(18 seasons)
1,340-1,577
74-.44-87.66
4 AL West titles
2 ALDS Series appearance
1 WS appearance
I'm not TANKING!! J/k. But it has been a very long process and although my record doesn't show it now I think my team is progressing quite nicely. I think a lot of the problem with FA is teams bid on multiple players and raise the value of each player and if that player is out of their reach they simply can move onto another superstar FA and raise his price by bidding on him. I think that is the reason why many players are reachin 20+ per year contracts. Of course there is nothing to circumvent it, it is what it is.
My post wasn't directed at you C-Dawg, I understand year one of this sort of thing for you, but it's when that sort of strategy carries on for years without investment.
(04-12-2011, 03:26 PM)Cdawg Wrote:
(04-11-2011, 11:26 PM)AndyP Wrote: If we're going to continue with IFA, I think Sean is right - we need more guys coming over to be borderline starters. Virtually everyone coming over is, at some point or another in their career, a legit piece of a contender. It's simply not realistic. Personally I'd do away with it altogether but for a few rare times.

In my defense I have to stock pile money so that I am able to contend w/ a 142M and a 115M payroll budget in Seattle and LAAngels respectively. My issue is that Seattle, w/ a 3.45M in a regional population vs Oakland's 7.2M and they have almost double my budget without warrant. Up until my reign.... 2 WS apperances, and 2 more 1st place finishes 1 2nd place finishes. Seattle owns 4 bottom place finishes in that time span w/ a 3rd place and a 2nd place.... to me I look at that and go wtf? Fan Loyalty isn't much 82-84 seattle, my fans are indifferent while Sea are average. So number wise I don't know how seattle has either A)that big of a budget. or B)I don't have that big of a budget.
Either way I figure 100-110M payroll will have to be the maximum I spend in order to really compete(immediately that is) and there for 80M+ in cash is needed in order to sustain a run like that for about 5 years. There are ideas of a new stadium, but it's impossible to do w/o cutting payroll substantially and not paying anyone for 5-6 seasons.

But I have a plan, and it's not to cut payroll and hope that my player develop.

Why you hating on Seattle? :P
I HATE YOU! sike. I like having 1 good team to bench mark against in the division so I have a real goal.
Oakland A's
2015-Current
(18 seasons)
1,340-1,577
74-.44-87.66
4 AL West titles
2 ALDS Series appearance
1 WS appearance
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »