• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2091 Draft Review
Ari
Grades:
TT: A
MZY: A

Review:
TT: 
 RH got a couple of nice lefty bats that will end up playing up in his ballpark, and Hartridge was probably the best bat in the draft. Tim "The Toolman" Taylor is older, but if he can have a bit of time to develop he could be a useful SP.

MZY: Again loved the Zona draft.  Hartridge is the best pure hitter in the draft I see a Lavery who can field in him he will put up great numbers and field well.  Fenn was a guy  destined for a 1st round pick who fell due to predraft fall.  Andy doesn’t discount those falls and says they can spell greatness, kind of worked for Dimyata so we will see, the July birthday looms another big drop could spell doom, but if not you got a good bat for the lineup who fields well.  Tim “The Toolman” Taylor is an interesting SP, were he not 22 you would be much more excited about him, as he sits if he has already jumped that excitement lowers even further.  Waltrip is a good pick up in the 4th switcher hitter with the power eye combo, as long as the drop isn’t as big as that jump he took.

Atl

Grades:
TT: B
MZY: B+

Review:
TT: 
 King probably went a bit higher than he would have most drafts but that speaks more to the quality of this draft than him being a reach. A lot to like, not much to hate on, and plenty of upside. I had him as the #3 SP in this one. Smith was a nice pick and a guy I was eyeing with my 3rd round picks, but his vitals are way over his overall, so his floor should be relatively low, especially being a LHH.

MZY: Solid two pick draft for the Rocky less Stang.  King is one of the better pitchers in the draft, low HR total, maybe there is a lack of IP there.  The K:BB could be better but at 18 with a good pitch repertoire he should be just fine.  I like the OF Smith I was very curious to see him go that early but seeing that the picks are gone after that for Stang it makes a bit more sense, young talented lefty with some D, just pray he starts to climb and has a small jump tomorrow.  

Bal
Grades:
TT: B-
MZY: B

Review:
TT: 
 RF Hammond may end up looking pretty good, but I think the reality is he ends up a platoon guy or low end LF bat. Probably the same story with Griffin and Flores.

MZY:  The curse of doing well the season before is picking at the end of the round.  Baltimore did its best with that late round picks.  Dee Hammond was a guy that should be a good to great hitter he has the HR not 2B power with the ability to put up good OPS, he might even play LF which would be a bonus, but I feel there were better bats on the board at this point of the draft.  Griffin and Flores are clones of each other so if the build hits both could be nice DH types but I don’t think either will be anything more than a 4th OF type.  Damiano is a guy everyone passed on multiple times there was a reason for that if he hits AAA it will be an accomplishment, Camacho taken 30 picks later is much the same but might have a better shot at finding some bench time somewhere.

Bos
Grades:
TT: B-
MZY:  B+

Review:
TT: 
 Arrias value will have value with his defense alone, so how the bat turns out could be the difference between whether this a good pick or a great pick. Bartlett I like if he can jump. The amateur stats are solid and there's a good starting power build.

MZY: Im not sure I should but I really like Arrias.  Maybe I see a future McBryde maybe I haven’t had enough coffee yet but I think he could end up a very special player, Sorry for jinxing him Fred.  Bartlett and Ambrose and nice projectable SP, both have the upside of mid rotation starters or at worse great pen pieces.  Wexler was a smooth pickup late in the draft he is one of those Senior Class guys that always get picked later because they have to sign and don’t have options, but he could very well end up a serviceable bench guy.  I really like Fribras and was about to take him before Fred got him, good youngish left power bat, could end up a starter, albeit for a non condenser.

Chc
Grades:
MZY: C+

Review:
TT: 
 Frey is waiting on a jump, but was a bit of a reach at #17. If he gets that jump or two, the movement and GB% is gonna make him look really great. 

MZY:  Frey was on my list, as a guy to look at in the 2nd, usually that means I read the market wrong when they go a full round before I expect, not sure that was the case here.  He appears to have already jumped and 2 of his 3 pitches are below his over all, looks like a guy that will be all movement with ok control.  At 19 he was room to grow but if he doesn’t grow exactly right he will end up an all movement guy you cant really use.  Coussoule sounds like a delish French Entrée but as a SP he looks worrisome, 21 about to hit 22, anything less then a 1-3 point drop could spec disaster right out of the gate.  Gorby has a similar issue with some talent but an impending birthday.  Moore and O’Flaherty both were January birthdays but are also older and both appeared to have jumped so neither have a lot of chance to be much if anything.

Chw
Grades:

Review:
TT: 
 I was eyeing Kanemura but didn't expect him to go this high. I think he'll be pretty good, and maybe we'll look back and wish I took him with my earlier picks. Doyle should be a solid #3 type of arm, and Leandry was one of my targets, but I couldn't trade up to grab him. Being super young and vitals all above his overall gives him a chance to really grown into something special.

MZY:  I loved Kanemura as I am not afraid of Lefties or Japanese SP, however this appears way to early to select him.  Again I could be and usually am wrong but im afraid without a god fastball a soft tossing control movement guy might have issue in this league.  Doyle looks great he is a guy most probably had on their list but the lack of pitches and where they are compared to the overall are a concern, but like most if the drop that is upcoming is low you are good to go.  Loved Leandry and Tunon both were high on my list of OF to take and I think both have the talent to not only make the Show but be useful additions to their teams when they do.  Chadwell is another guy I think is an interesting guy a lot of issues but at this point of the draft he was better then most available.

Cin
Grades:

Review:
TT: 
 I like Welshans, but not at #4. I saw him as a 10-15 type of talent. The defense will be great, obviously, but the upside is pretty limited, but a .800 OPS with 30+ homers and great 3B defense would be nothing the sneeze at.  Boland is a nice looking RP that should be a nice SU option possibly.

MZY: I think Welshans benefited from the predraft jump.  I think he will end up a solid to good player but not one who should’ve been taken this high in the draft.  His fielding is outstanding as is his power if the contact scales appropriately he will hit well enough to be of good use, but that lack of eye will cause a lower OBP then what most would want, also we are concerned about the high health being an inflator to his overall and peak.  I was shocked to see Ornelas go that early, he isn’t a bad player but he has solid defense and a nice power bat, he could end up being a very good player but I fear he ends up more like a Pickens then a Brookshire.  Boland is a guy I was about to roll the dice on as well but he has some concerns no pitches above his overall an upcoming birthday  and a walk problem, all in all a boom or bust.  Franke has a HR issue, I think, but if he gets a good jump he could end up a solid back end of the rotation type.  The rest of the pitchers Theo took are all projectable with changes to be useful on a major league team one day.

Cle
Grades:
TT: A-

Review:
TT: 
 Mitchell should be an average bat with great 2B defense solid pick at the back of the 1st. Randull was a nice pick as well, and I was trying to get him. Should be a nice middle of the rotation arm at worst, maybe better with a jump or two. 

MZY:  I really liked Mitchell and was hoping he would fall to 31, one of the best gloves in the draft with a solid stick.  I don’t think his bat will be anything more than ok but that is fine for an everyday 2B, I see a Scott Dearing with a much better glove.  I liked Radull and Wurzburg they both have some minor issues but both have projectable build and could end in the back end of a rotation one day.  If you have a chance to take a 16yr old in the 4th do it, Craig will more than likely not end up at Catcher but will all the time he had he will find a spot to fill into.

Col
Grades:
TT:
MZY: N/A

Review:
TT: 

MZY: No Rockies picks, just bats and SP dealt for.

Det
Grades:
TT: B+

Review:
TT: 
 Casser might have one of the highest upsides in the draft, but not a lot of room for error for him to be great or just a #4/5 type. 

MZY: I liked Casser a 2 point Bday drop was great to see and he does well in the K:BB department.  However the HR might end up an issue if that control doesn’t scale well the pitchers are where you want to see them but if the control doesn’t hit 75-80 he might end up a BP SP instead of a HE SP.  Haggans already jumped and didn’t do it tremendously and the pitches all being below his overall means he should have limited growth potential, a 5th SP is the best I see here.

Fla
Grades:

Review:
TT: 
 Big power potential for Edwards, but I think he's gonna be a tier or two below the other 1B that went before him. Chase should be a solid middle RP, but maybe if he jumps nice you could consider a SP conversion.

MZY: I like Edwards, I know that was not his top choice here he traded up to get a SP who had just went.  But a 19yr lefty power bat isn’t anything to be upset with the jump he had was not what one would hope as he did not his the same peak high this could end up in a downward stair climb if that is the case yikes, if not you have time to watch him bounce back and become a useful masher.  I like Chase good numbers, the lack of a fastball is a concern and the upcoming birthday could be a concern, if it is less then 4-5 then he may end up pretty darn good, but I’m not sure he ends up more than a SR or SU probably not a CL.

Hou
Grades:
TT:

Review:
TT: 

MZY:  Well Fuck.  I really hate being in a division that A) Wont sort the cream to the Top and B) Has GMs that draft this well in a rebuild.  Roux was my favorite SP in the draft I love the guy.  A power Lefty with a high K rate and no HR issues, if his control can keep scaling his movement and power will keep going up he ends up a 1-2 in the rotation.  Jimgnez was one of the scarier bats in the draft a 17yr lefty 1B with massive power and a phenomenal eye there is some concern with his HR and 2B numbers being nearly identical but the rest of them look superb.  Hanson was a great pick up in the second could end up with Hall a killer arm RF with big time power.  Morrison is that build that hits or fails, if it this you get a mid rotation arm, if it fails you toss him in the pen.  Geiger was one of the better Catchers in a weak catchers draft and a great pick up.  Santos went late and could end up good.  Moore was a bat that kept falling bc he is only a bat, but to get him in the late fourth is a good selection.

Kcr
Grades:
MZY: C

Review:
TT: 
 Some pretty interesting players, although no high end specs to speak for this season for DLee. RF Forster probably has the most upside, and if the bat comes around, he'll be a nice player with quality defense.

MZY: For as much as some guys helped their stock before the draft Forster killed it.  He went from 1st round lock to 3rd round potential his vitals look amazing but that 5 point drop hurts a lot.  He still might end up ok but there is to much risk there to be excited about him.  Barbadillo looks like he could be a solid bat but that downwards stairclimbing the last few seasons makes me say pass unless he gets a big jump he could be in big trouble.  McCue could end up a backup somewhere one day if all goes well.  Dineyro in the 4th might be the best pick he had young with defense, could end up a everyday guy.  Kato looks like a great back up catcher, its good to see DLee turn in on toward the end of the draft.

Laa
Grades:

Review:
TT: 
 OWM should get some value of of this one, even if he doesn't get any studs. Devitt has the best chance to be a closer, but not sure the power will end up where you look at him as that stud closer everyone covets.

MZY:  When you are not sure about a draft, draft all RP.  Dan did exactly that, Devitt is the best of the bunch potentially a perennial Allstar Closer type, Albert is a very good looking RP not a CL and Dan might convert him but he looks to be a good SU or SR arm.  I like Lindley as well young with a nice build I think all three of these guys anchor the LA bullpen for many years to come.

Lad Grades:

Review:
TT: 
 Goodrich should be a nice lefty power bat that will find a spot in a lineup and getting him at #10 might be a steal. Speaking of steals, this draft was devoid of real good CF options, but Hanrahan seems to be the best of them. He won't be the speedy contact hitter people like in CF, but he's got the Jacob Beisel build, and should be a good bet to play good to great defense. If he can be a 40 HR and .350 OBP guy, he'll be quite valuable.

MZY:  Love the pick of Goodrich possibly the best 1B in the draft.  Big time HR power and a good eye, the contact should come along nicely and at 17 you have plenty of time to wait.  He might not still at 1B and might end up a DH but he will be a bat you have to have in the lineup.  Hanrahan is an enigma, does he end up one of those gold glove power hitting CF or does he end up a heaping pile of disappointment, at 20 it is worth the risk to find out even with a scary August birthday.  Im not sure what to make of Nunez he appears to have jumped already and his vitals don’t inspire confidence, he should end up well enough to anchor down a spot in the rotation, the question ends up being where.  Porch is an interesting RP if he can jump this year you might have just gotten a very useful RP, if he doesn’t at least he wasn’t chosen earlier.

Mil
Grades:

Review:
TT: 
 Basaida is nice. He'll be a quality backup catcher at worst, maybe a servicable starter depending on how he develops. Johnson is a solid pick. The big issues are whether his control gets to 80, and how far ahead his power is on his other vitals. With such a low peak currently, I'm not sure he has enough room to grow into an ideal build, but a jump could make him look awfully good. Cody also has a lot to like, and is a pretty safe bet to be useful as far as 4th round picks go. 

MZY: I really liked Bassaidua, until the 5 point drop, might mean nothing but I prefer my drops to be less drastic.  Dane Johnson was a solid pick he could end up a solid back end of the rotation starter but I worry that high health has inflated his potential.  Cody si 21 turning 22 in agust and he is already an a 6 upside so not sure he goes anywhere.  The rest are typical speed or power lotto tickets.

Min
Grades:

Review:
TT: 
 Macowen was probably the best pitcher in draft as far as starting vitals go, and overall confidence in him being good, although others may have more potential. Urquiza went a bit earlier than I thought he would, but his age and vitals being well above his current overall gives hope he can keep that pace as he develops, definitely seemed like a Rocky-influenced pick. Ciambrelli is a sleeper for me, although he went about a round earlier than I anticipated.

MZY: I really liked Macowen doesn’t appear to have a HR issue and has good pitches.  The concerns with him is that he is a soft tosser with a lower GB% then one wants in the Control/Movement build, also his K;BB is less than ideal if that one HR season was a mirage then he should end up good, upper limit of an Ace, but might end up the 2-3 slot instead, which is fine.  A 17yr Switcher hitter who may be able to field, huge may, not a bad idea, I again did not expect him to go this high even with those attributes but we shall see the birthday drop before making a final decision.  Mason and Wilkie are both ok but I feel like there were better options there at these picks.  I liked the chance on Fisher in the mid 4th and loved the selection of Fijimura at the end of the 4th, even if it was just to appease the new CO-GM.

Mon
Grades:
TT:
MZY: N/A

Review:
TT: 

MZY: Arms could end up a solid pitcher but that late birthday is a issue.  And Merrcado looks to be a power hitter that in later editions of mogul would be defined as Gap Power, not sure he makes it.

Nym
Grades:
TT: A-
MZY: A+

Review:
TT: 
 Really love Hancock, and I think he was probably the best all around bat in the draft. Kindersley has the speed, but it's gonna be a long shot if he can develop enough of a bat to be useful in anything more than a bench role. I dig Herapath as a 2B/3B option. He's young and being a lefty he doesn't  have to develop too crazy to be useful to a team.

MZY:  The NL needs to look out here come the Mets.  Hancock is a great hitter, Karl “Herbie” Hancock will be a tremendous DH once he develops, I personally think Hartridge ends up the better bat overall but Herbie wont be far behind.  Kindersley was the first time I swore at my computer during the draft, his age and closeness to peak with next day birthday spells the potential for disaster but I wanted him an thought those reasons would get him to the 3rd but alas he did not and now the Mets have a chance to pair him with South to dominate the MIF.  Rockie is a solid looking SP with a small birthday drop form 19 to 20 with good K:BB ratio and no HR issue, the lack of a fastball keeps me form loving him.  Herpath is a great pick up should be a solid to good bat with a good to great glove nice addition for the hot corner.  Also liked Covert a lot should be a good bat and solid glove, 4th OF at worse.

Nyy
Grades:
MZY: B-

Review:
TT: 
 Bortillo is 1 jump away from being one of the better SP specs in the league. As it stands, he could be a solid #3, but there's a surprising amount of potential for a guy that got passed over 33 times. Erick got some nice lotto picks mixed in as well, with Dunlap and Withecombe both look to have some potential as quality lotto picks.

MZY:  “If I had had 1 and 2 I would have taken Hancock and Boritllo” Jmaine.  Apparently Hash is back in season where Jmaine is at.  While I do like Bortillo and he was on my list there are some concerns though they are not major enough to stay away form him.  While I think Jamine is off his meds thinking he was the 2nd best player in the draft he was a good selection and has the chance to end up a top end of the rotation starter, I don’t think he ends up an Ace but a 2-3 isn’t out of the cards.  With a 4 point non birthday drop Nick Nearly goes from Nearly making the MLB to Nearly, “Headless” Nick real fast especially with a birthday at the end of the month.  If Cercado can keep his HR in check he could end up pretty solid at the back of the rotation.  The speed of Withecombe with a potentially solid glove could spell some bench play not bat with a pick this late.

Oak
Grades:

Review:
TT: 
 I was a fan of Barnett and wanted to trade back up to grab him, but I can see him ending up a lot like McQuartie in PIT. I wasn't a big fan of Wilkins with his vitals being all below his overall, but at the back of the 2nd it's a worthy risk to take and see if he can either get a nice jump, or turn into a useful bullpen piece. 

MZY:  I liked Barnett a lot and he was in consideration at 23 while I still held that pick.  A nice contact eye bat with solid power and ok speed and should end up a solid to good glove at 3B, he might be one that ends up far better then most project.  Wilkins was another most might fret over passing up.  He wasn’t on my list so I must have done something wrong, 2 point bday drop and good pitches and solid vitals good K:BB and no HR issue.  I think the reason he was off my list was his power is at his overall the rest are below so I am concerned at how he develops, obviously a big jump mitigates those a bit but will it happen, only the mogul gods know.  I like the Hudder build big power two great pitches could end up a dominant pitcher but a lot could depend on that birthday next sim.

Phi
Grades:

Review:
TT: 
 I like Litvinksy. He should be a starter based on his defense alone, but his eye will leave alot to be desired for a 3B. I think he probably is just a .750 OPS type of 3B, but great defense turns him into a quality piece. I liked Rager as a late 3rd pick, but probably a bit of a reach for that offensive profile, but the defense and lefty bat give you alot potential to dream on. 

MZY: Litvinsky was a late add to my list tremendous Defense and doesn’t appear to have jumped yet and has a bat that could eb very very good with power and contact and a solid eye, if he had made it 7 more picks I would have rolled the die.  Rager was a guy I really liked as well 19yr lefty with speed and a tremendous glove he could end up a very good everyday player.  I liked Sales as well in the 4th and will have gladly taken him myself.

Pit
Grades:
TT:

Review:
TT: 

MZY: Loved the Pittsburgh draft, for picking so late I feel he did very well on talent.  Tosewell is a great looking SP if the K:BB stays up there and the HR stay there or go down a bit the pitches with the speed and the vitals look like a top end of the rotation starter, Hokey wanted him with the next pick and he seems to do well picking SP so.  I liked Hanz a lot as well great get him 2nd should be a good RP, as could Suzuki in the 4th and  Ramon Ramos might make a good one as well if a transition was in the cards, all in all 4 pitchers who should all make the majors.

Sdp
Grades:
TT:
MZY:B

Review:
TT: 

MZY: Again much like Frey I though Torrey went to early, were he younger I see it, but if you see who you want you take them so I cant knock Percy for going for what he wanted.  I love the stats and the vitals so he could end up real good, the issue for me and the reason I think he went to early was the 83-85 MPH heater he throws, all the SP to this point I’ve called soft tossers through laser beams in comparison, maybe it doesn’t matter but it is a major concern for me.  I almost traded just ahead of Percy to take Garcia in the 3rd and might regret not doing so.  His HR are on line for his type of SP and his Power is overwhelming I think eh could end up a mid rotation starter maybe even better if the gods shine their light on him.  I also liked the pick of Gorey in the 4th seems to be a solid RP who will see the MLB.

Sfg
Grades:
TT:
MZY: A-

Review:
TT: 

MZY: Love Alonzo superb K:BB low HR great pitches and good to great vitals, one of my favorite SP in the draft I think he has Ace potential at worse great mid rotation arm.  Faller is a guy I want to like but the looming birthday drop coupled with the HR give me some pause, if the drop is small again good mid rotation or better SP, but if he hits a rough patch the lack of a good second pitch could hurt him.  Fitz is a Matty type pick and the only pick I got right in my Mock Draft.  RH super masher at 21 as long as that contact can clear 70 or more he should do just fine in the Show.  Dimaggio is a WIsguy SP and I’m not sure how he turns out could end up useful to good or he might die we shall see, but I wasn’t high on him.  Sharp was dare I say it a Sharp Selection, also liked the Hinds pick late, sorry Dave.

Sea

Grades:
TT:

Review:
TT: 

MZY:  Yes an “A” fuck off.  Pope was arguably the best all around player in the draft, should end up with good to great D, phenomenal speed and a good bat with more power than expected, is it worth what I gave up time will tell.  Gray could end up a good bat with enough speed to play a corner OF spot, his drop tells the tale of the tape.  Kipness could end up a good bat RH or not the power eye combo is tried and true.  Elwell is a good SP called a RP for no good reason.  Trigero is a very speedy 2B if he develops a better bat and glove he will play well.  The rest are some nice projectable 1B bats and OF gloves and a pair of projectable RPs.

Stl
Grades:
TT:

Review:
TT: 

MZY: See my review of LAA above, same applies here though GD may have done it better than Dan.

Tex
Grades:
TT:

Review:
TT: 

MZY: While he wasn’t my favorite Wrenn is a nice arm.  He is young projectable while I am concerned about the K:BB and the HR he could end up a upper rotation arm, which is what  you want to expect with him going Top 10.  I know Masc liked him so I would not be surprised to see him shipped to Minnesota for something soon, Masc and WP always have post draft deals going with just drafted cats.  Seppings is a guy that fell a bit a 18yr left that might end up a better 2B then 3B with a bat that is hard to project, is it power is it contact what is it.  I think it ends up being a Contact power bat with a middling eye which should paly just fine.

Tor
Grades:
TT:
MZY: C

Review:
TT: 

MZY: I did not like the Toronto draft, Ouellette is 16, that is his best thing his defense isn’t that good his offense isn’t that good I just don’t know why he went 3rd.  If he was a lefty maybe I see it but that contact has a lot of jumping to do to get to serviceable, yes he is 16 so he has the time but sill it has a ways to go.  He might end up a tremendous bat with solid glove an be well worth the 3rd pick in the draft, but I’m not sure he gets there.  McKee must have been an Auto he has to be the worst SP I’ve seen in a long time thank the health for het high peak now watch him die slowly and agonizingly.  Mcann is projectable as a RP we shall see if he can make it might be my favorite pick of the Toronto draft to this point.  Villiacan could end up a solid 2B with SB potential.  The rest are what they are.

Wsh

Grades:
TT:

Review:
TT: 

MZY: I dig the Peterness of the Peter draft.  All projectable wither hitters or defenders.  Diaz could end up a great bat he fell bc he isn’t an actual catcher and his contact is a bit low but a 3 point bday drop gives him time.  Nowak a speedy SS with defense at 19 you take him and let him mature.  Barnes was one that I desperately wanted at 69 and sadly he went to the Nations Capital for some reason I think he ends up one of the better OF in the draft.  Harris and the rest are good picks for the one skill each has one of that group should turn out to be more of Peters late round gold collection, maybe even 2 or 4 of them.
Pit GM
'08- Current: Pirates GM Record
'56-'08: Seattle GM Record 4606-3510 .568 win%
'20-'32: San Francisco GM Record 875-1231 .415 win%
'10-'14: Minnesota GM Record 324-324 .500 win%
World Series Champion 2010, 2089, 2092, 2095
American League Champion 2010, 2062, 2089, 2092, 2093, 2095

Best Record Full Year (Regular Season and Playoffs Combined):  131-45 .744 win%
Winner of first ever FCM World Series
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »