• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2090 Draft Reviews
Ari
Grades:
MM: A+
MZY: B+

Review:
MM:  Elite defensive shortstop, with pop, check.  Strong pitcher with a nice ground ball profile and great K:BB ratio, check.  Elite armed catcher who can play every day, check.  Gornitsky and Adler both have nice profiles although both have shown some overall drops and unreliable career arcs forming.  Adler should have power to burn however and Gornitsky could be a slam dunk.  Little and Coverrubio are both real strong bullpen options in the later half of the draft.  To get three potential solid starters with enough upside to see some ace potential and seven guys with major league potential seems like a real strong draft class.  There is a lot in this class to love and I'm buying the Arizona 2090 draft class.

MZY: Arizona with a solid draft during the rebuild, adding some very nice options at a couple of key positions.  Colrado looks to be a very good defensive SS, the bat will be the determining factor on how high he can soar.  I fear his contact will not get to a spot that will make him elite, he should end up with good power and a good eye, but without the contact he will end up the SS version of Tally.  Dogman was a good pick (and a better name) he projects to be a solid mid to back rotation starter I think what holds him back from being a higher end starter is a lack of pitches that project to be plus or even solid pitches.  I don’t like Gornitsky, I think he has a HR problem and I just feel that when all is said and done on him he will be a movement only type guy, honestly he might be better converted to a RP.  Love Peno, could be the surprise catcher of the draft, apparently a few people were about to take him so good grab by Rhen, he will be at worst a great backup, with like a solid to good starter.  Little and Covarrubio were great lotto ticket grabs at the end of the draft.

Atl
Grades:
MM: A
MZY: A++

Review:
MM:  Howard is real good, probably the top pitching prospect in the draft at four.  Throwing from the left side is the only knock I can find on the guy (unless you buy into fastball mattering, and I don't).  If he was a righty he'd have been consensus #1 pick, probably still should have been.  Chris Thomason is another pitcher I love, as long as the plan is to bring him along as a RP.  He's got elite closer ability and doesn't seem like he has the profile to make the jump to starter, leave him alone and the front and back end  seems locked here.  Jeff Voltz is an interesting pick, doesn't fit the mold I look into, although I know rocky especially loves him the power bats.  He seems like a power/eye guy, but his profile doesn't necessarily suggest monster power, could see him possibly go contact/eye and be a mediocre player with marginal defense.  I liked several others more here.  Louza is more power/eye and he screams power.  The guy should mash the baseball, but there are several power eye guys out there.  Does he become Engelbrecht or does he go the way of other failures.  I love Ring, but think maybe he was over drafted.  The back end picks all make sense.  With a lot of high picks, there is a lot of potential talent here.  

MZY: Stocky can draft very well, having that many picks doesn’t hurt either.  Marshall was the best SP in the draft IMO, I think he has that Ace level ceiling, the poor fastball and lack of speed on his pitches do give me a touch of concern but I still think he will be very very good, I think it would be interesting to see where he would have been picked in a great pitchers draft like last years, but regardless it’s a great feeling to get the best player at pick 4.  Loved the pick of Thomason as well, if he leaves him, as he should, at CL then you just darted a potential Ace and AS CL with the 4th and 15th picks, Bravo Stocky.  Volts was a solid pick, should be a above average bat, with poor D, making him a DH, and a average to below average one, should be best used as trade bait.  Lozoua is a feast or famine type projection, he might end up with ungodly power and a great eye, but if the contact doesn’t hit the magic number he will be hard to use I fear, but at this part of the draft great idea.  Loved O’Holloran, was trying to scoot back up the draft to grab him myself, one of the better all around bats in the draft, has the LF potential for the MLB, but the bat might end up good enough that you would be comfortable DHing him.  Sangabriel great pick, was hoping he would slide a few more spots, Vergette is another one I wish slid a few more great potential there, and Charters was a good pick in the early 4th.

Bal
Grades:
MM: C 
MZY: B

Review:
MM:  Chimil is fine, good Control/Movement guy with high ground ball projections, of course the lefty thing usually weighs them down slightly.  Two pitches for a starter bothers me, even if he adds another it's unlikely to matter much, those two pitches both need to become elite.  Whewell is a player who will play, but I don't see being much of a star.  Wimberly might make the bullpen, Garnett should peak too soon and too low, even with a nice profile.  Baltimore drafts well, so there may be egg on my face, I was going to give the draft a D, but bumped it up to a C once I saw what was drafted right being Chimil.  

MZY:  Chimil is a solid SP with a nice Con/Mov projection, a lefty without a HR problem is a great thing, I was surprised to see him go this early and thought there were plenty of better players till on the board, but with Baltimore I would think he is hopig for the Salazar build, if he gets that good it will be a worthwhile pick, if he only goes to a mid roto arm then it could be a missed opportunity.  Really liked the Whewell pick, again surprised he went that early but you are looking at a great bat and a solid fielder, and HH has proved he can draft OF.  Wimberley a solid selection late in the draft, will need a bit of help but could end up in the pen, same with Garnett from the 6th.

Bos
Grades:
MM:  C+
MZY:  B+

Review:
MM:
 Craig Stark appears to be an excellent auto.  I'm not convinced his 95 works out, but he doesn't have to have a lot of room to grow to become a major power hitter capable of 30 homeruns and 100 rbis.  There are definitely enough concerns that his eye may stay significantly above his contact making him around a .220 hitter, but even then his hits should go for home runs more than doubles or singles. Finz is ok, he's a lefty, doesn't initially seem to scream home run problems, but as a fly ball pitcher that throws from the left side it seems like it should happen. His development is almost certainly going to go the way of a power pitcher and unless he gets to 90/90 power/movement he'll struggle and even then he still might.  Carabajal has legit power and should be able to hit 20-30 homeruns if given playing time in the future.  The trouble remains his career trajectory is pretty uninspiring to this point.  At 22 years old something fun needs to happen fast.  Stamey and McLean round out a trio of 22 year old first basemen, all who can potentially hit, but all who could develop out to fast and stall pretty quickly.  Tony Boulter appears to offer nothing of any ability. 

MZY: Do you know how you know if someone misses the draft, they are not named Rocky but still end up drafting 4/6 picks as 1B.  I love Stark, I know most hate him or see some hole, which are there, but he might end up the better bat from the draft he looks to the power eye guy, if his contact gets high enough he will be very good.  Finz is a high peak power SP that fell almost to the 3rd due to his control and movement being under his overall and being a lefty, but his offseason birthday only takes him to 21, while his high endurance and health overflate his “value” he might end up a decent enough SP if his control can get high 70’s or low 80’s, though it’s a super big if.  The rest of the draft was a slue of 1B that might make peter wet, they are all that power/eye build that you know at least one if not two will become solid to good bats.

Chc
Grades:
MZY: N/A

Review:
MM:  Ryan Scott should be able to develop some power and even hold his own as a corner outfielder.  He's not someone who is going to stay long term in the outfield, but he can hold a spot as a platoon or on the bench.  The other two will have to find some niche and neither has the defense to likely be a solid bench bat either.  I suspect both the first two guys miss and maybe Scott becomes a bench player.  With three late picks it may be all you can ask for, but there were some swings and misses here.  

MZY:  All late lotto picks

Chw
Grades:
MM: A- 

Review:
MM:  D'Ang Brown is going to be stretched out into a starter and that makes sense.  He should be a good one at that, with a nice control/movement build with the ideal ground ball rate in 50's.  He has three pitches, shows minimal home run concern but his power is not going to move.  Overall it's a solid pick as a starting pitcher, and one I would have taken over a few others drafted before him.  Some like Condorcet, I am not one.  I'm not sure his contact will get there and he offers nothing else except power.  If his eye doesn't get there, I'm not sure his contact will either and you'll have a narrow value slugger.  Shinamius I like as a legit reliever and was great value at 88 overall.  Late picks Velasque and Threadgold have potential to make a rotation and McFetridge can play some defense.  I think there is a miss on Condorcet but the rest should all play.  Overall it's a quality draft, especially if Brown becomes special.  

MZY:  While chained to a radiator in the Arizona basement of a certain Czar, G$ was able to have a interesting draft.  With his first pick he choice to go with D’Ang Brown a RP who will be converted to a SP, who projects to be a Con/Mov build and a mid to upper rotation starter.  Conorcet was the bat everyone is the draft was afraid to take due to age and low contact with an August birthday, even will all the power.  If, big IF, he can get his contact to a respectable level as a lefthy with that power and eye he will do ungodly things, but if the contact fails to get to where it needs to be he ends up a rebuilders 4 hitter.  I liked the 3 SP that G took in rounds 3-5 all have solid projections, while I don’t expect a lot out of any of them there is enough meat on the bone that they could becomes something.

Cin
Grades:

Review:
MM: McPhedron is an all defense, contact guy.  Those guys need to get to Pearson level, not Shimizu to really have major value.  I'm not convinced McPhedron can get there, especially with high school stats which may suggest his eye is going to move more than expected.  Contact might not reach those elite levels. Clayton Jahn is an ok first baseman and if he truly hasn't jumped this year and does might be more than that.  Nine splits aren't bad, but being right handed is a slight knock. Zenzada is an interesting case, because if the power develops he'll make a nice corner outfielder and there is a chance the power does develop.  Montigny holds no real value, but was a very late selection.

MZY: McPhedron is a Shimizu clone, he will have great contact great Defense and meh everything else. He is a great guy to have on your team and could be a good 2 hole hitter and truthfully had I been able to trade up into this pick this is who I would have selected as well, even with his limitations as a player.  Jahn should end up a great platoon bat, but unless his contact gets much better against RHP then that will be all he can be. The other two lotto picks are what they are, not expecting a lot out of either of them.

Cle
Grades:
MM: A- 

Review:
MM: I like the Jake Moss pick, I hate the splits, but I'm going on a limb and assuming he won't hit to the level of those splits, players rarely do.  His strikeout to walk ratio suggest his contact will come up, so I see more chances of a 90/90/x/80 guy than I do a 80/90/x/90 guy.  Both can play, especially if the splits gap closes. Ron Pridgen could go either direction as well, as his amateur stats have both high walk years and higher strikeout years.  His jump seems small, so the potential for more years development seems high.  A three point drop on Smith gives him 3-4 years to develop which could work out well and there is good potential for power/eye guys.  Carlo Vazquez has the build you like for a fourth round selection, I'm slightly surprised he didn't go earlier.   The same could be said for Kettlewell.  The rest are interesting late round fliers, of which volume may help out.  I do like Echevana quite a bit and will be interested in his development.  The quantity of selections helps.

MZY:  I like Moss a lot, he was one of the bats I hoped slipped a few picks more to fall to my lap,  I think he ends up like Capitaino on Philly, big time contact and power and ok eye, he shoud have enough D to patrol left field and is a great pick this late in the first.  I don’t like Pridgen, he didn’t make my draft board and I don’t think he gets any better then a 4th OF that eventually is sent to a rebuilder for cash considerations.  Smith is an interesting bat, had only a 3 point Bday drop but still projects as a bench bat, if things jump his way he could happen into a everday lineup so it’s a great gamble to make end of the 3rd.  Vazquez, Kettlewell and Dyer are nice pick ups, none stand out of their own but there is a little something in each of them that is intriguing, Lemieux is a nice pickup, he will have amazing handling and an ok arm, great backup catcher option.

Col
Grades:
MM: C+ 
MZY: A

Review:
MM: 
One pick.  A doubles hitting catcher with a very strong arm and questionable rest of the defensive profile.  The guy will play that is certain and there is some safety to that.  If he hadn't of taken him someone else would, but I'm not sure he profiles as the hitter you'd like to have with the fifth overall selection.  He seems a good, safe selection and it's probably true he wouldn't have gotten him later, but I think it would have fit better if he would have.  The rest of the draft was traded away to fill holes in his team.

MZY: One pick, no problems.  Modlin was the best catcher in the draft and went early for a reason, he will be a good starter with a solid bat and some decent power.  If he stays in Colorado he will have the inflated HR totals that make him look even better then he will be, which is damn good.

Det
Grades:
MZY: A-

Review:
MM:  A very top heavy draft for the Tigers.  Four selections in the top 60 and nothing else.  I don't love Etchpare in the first round, but I can at least understand his potential.  I do see a solid defender with 20/80 home run/rbi potential and there is definitely value in that.  The money was made with the trio of pitchers in the second round.  Some would argue they may have been over drafted, but there is no way.  They were all solid selections where they sat.  Bruzgis and Fail should both make the rotation, and potentially as top end options, although not true "Ace" pitchers.  Fleming has solid bullpen potential and I'd be shocked if that didn't work out.  

MZY: Very nice to see GB sober on draft day.  I’m not a huge fan of the Etchepare pick, I think he will have very good defense and good power, but I fear the rest of the bat will be meh and a meh eye, now he is 17 so there is plenty of room to grow, maybe he ends up the next MVP stealing Daryl Wilkerson, or maybe he ends up just a solid player that always helps but never impresses.  Loved the trio of young pitchers taken in the 2nd by GB, Fail shouldn’t and might need to be remaned at some point, and Fleming looks to be a solid to good lefty arm out of the pen and a lot of people were high on the pick of Bruzgis, who was a solid selection in the comp round.

Fla
Grades:

Review:
MM:  Stinnett is clearly going to be a starting pitcher convert who will be a monster control/movement guy with absolutely no power what so ever. His strikeout per nine numbers are pathetic and add in the only two pitch situation and I am not convinced Stinnett will do what is expected with this pick.  Terrjirina has two flaws in his game I can see, a #1 pitcher 18 over his other pitches, the others will need to catch up and that doesn't always happen and significant homerun numbers to boot.  I don't see success in Terrjirina, but I do see a situation in which he may look good enough to put in a trade a recoup value. Putnam was real value where he was taken, although I'm not sure which direction he'll go.  I think Power/Eye is going to be right and it's a toss up on their success rate.  After that it was a very late toss up Maeno who sucks and will probably be an early cut.  The draft makes sense if hokey uses the pieces to find value for his major league club, but the reality seems to be very few of these guys will do much on his major league roster.

MZY: I like the Stinnett pick, young CL with a great GB rate, a bit of a soft tosser and lacks a fastball but he projects to be a very good closer to get that at the end of the first is a great thing.  I want to love he pick of Terrjirina, but he is a guy that went off my board before the draft started, projects as a control first Con/Mov build, but he has a massive HR problem, couple that with a Control first vibe and I think he becomes a batting practice guy instead of a mid to upper rotation arm.  Putnam was a very good pick, lefty 1B who just turned 18 and had a solid jump, with all the time he has to mature the conact isn’t to much a concern he will be a good everydy 1B I feel.  

Hou
Grades:
MZY: B-

Review:
MM:  Thach looks to be all eye, not a ton of power, and only marginal contact.  We'll see how it all turns out, but there's a good chance you have a OBP guy at first base who doesn't play much defense.  If you had this in the outfield with decent defense or up the middle you love the guy, at first base you'll likely get a few 20/100 seasons, but he'll mostly disappoint.  At least he's a lefty. Adair can play some defense and might be able to get on base, he fits the profile you could want in a defense first, nine hole hitter in the middle infield.  James Last can make the major leagues as a lefty mashing platoon player, he can make a bench.  He's not going to wow.  The back two picks probably bring this up from where it should be.  

MZY:  Im not a huge fan of the Thach build, he will have the contact that especially as a lefty you want, but I feel the power and eye will only hit low to maybe mid 80s, which gives him the CHW Vazquez build, so he will be a useful 1B just not the type that most want, which there isn’t anything wrong with but he wont put up the numbers you really want out of a 1B.  I do like the additions of Adair and Last as fun lotto tickets in the ends of the draft.

Kcr
Grades:
MM: B 

Review:
MM: I like Eric Campion a lot.  For a lot round guy he offers strong potential out of the bullpen, although these guys usually turn out just average.   He is 18 and pre-jump so there is strong upside here that could save him.  Delosrios is a switch hitter with good defense, the guy should play.  Jeff Tyndall has a profile you can look into.  For three late round picks they were home run type picks.

MZY: Late round Lottos only

Laa
Grades:
MM: D 

Review:
MM: Angelo Guinea is a worthless player.  Can't hit enough to matter and can't field enough to make a team.  Even with only one selection available, it still couldn't have gone much worse.  

MZY: No picks

Lad
Grades:

Review:
MM: I'm not in love with Ogg, he's going to be a control/movement guy without a dominant ground ball rate, which suggests he'll either not have success or he'll not get the control to the level expected.  His strikeout rate is higher than you'd expect and it wouldn't quite surprise me to see him move towards a power/movement guy without elite power. Clark Smith has nice power, but is already at an advanced age.  He's a lefty so that helps although I'm not sure which one of his contact or eye is going to move the most.  He should play, but I doubt he's elite ever.  I like Hathorne quite a bit and even without defense he should play.  He may end up better than Smith in the end.  MacPhadden is older and only has two pitches, but he's projectable and can probably be a back end starting pitcher at some point. Velovic is an elite defender and if he can steal two good jumps (not sure he can) and get that contact into the mid-70's he's playable in centerfield.  Blair sucks, but has the right build, doubt he goes anywhere.      

MZY: I think Ogg was the best RHP of the draft, he projects to be an ace level SP, doenst appear to have a HR or a BB issue, some are down on him calling him “Poop on a stick” but I think he was a good pick and should end up a good to great SP.  Smith might end up a steal at 37, lefty that projects to be a very nice rounded bat that will slug the shit out of the ball, the random drop is a mild concern which could be why he fell a bit but I think he still ends up all right.  Hawthorn and Velovic are nice OF additions that project to be MLB pieces one day, I also will watch Blair with curiosity.

Mil
Grades:

Review:
MM: Barabe projects as a rock solid bat although his splits are a bit worrisome.  We're also not certain how well his power will develop and if it sticks as a doubles hitter or becomes more home run based.  Siddons first jump will tell the story, but his upside is larger than most with his vitals so far above his overall and his career arc not having any locked in points yet.  Jason Roberts is a steal at pick 100 and even with his rotation he'll likely find a place in the future. Towers is pretty marginal and his fastball being rated so far above all the others is concerning.  I imagine he'll be flipped in a deal for current pieces. Lamori, Hartley, and Thorn all project which is what you want late in the rounds.  The Milwaukee management team doesn't mess up.

MZY: Barabe was the best LF in the Draft, and one of the best OF overall,  young lefty bat that projects to be in that Capitaino build as well but with better defense, while there were better overall bat in the draft still there may not have been better overall players, this is the type of player that goes to ASG and looks to win MVP’s potentially, but I lot will depend on where that contact and power end up.  Not a fan of Siddons think at best he becomes a 4th or 5th OF.  I do like the picks of Roberts and Towers neither jump out as amazing but both are projectable and could end up as back end starters or solid pen pieces.

Min
Grades:
TT: A

Review:
MM: As mentioned about with McPhedron, Armero's power needs to get to 80 to make this really work and I don't think it will.   Although he could end up a contact/eye guy and if that eye can get into the mid to high 80's it might work playing second base.    With that stated, his defense appears potentially superior at third base.  I love Keith Bax, even though those high defensive first basemen have failed a lot, I like his chances to become Sorley more than others.  I know we're buying defense with Lovera, but that contact gives me pause and I'm not sure he has appropriate speed to make the range work.  Hatanaka could go either way and he is the hitter pick that Lovera is not.  I like Paul Vint as a platoon guy, as his age probably prevents him from getting there completely against righties. I think Perry Riker offers serious power potential and this late in the draft is a real nice selection. I really liked Truss and Hingham and Iberra are both projectable and worth the chances.  Honestly not a lot of complaints with this draft.

MZY: Oh look another Shimizu clone, wonder how much we hear about his development.  That being said I really like him, better than the other clone, he is a guy you could plug and play right now and not be upset about the results, I wouldn’t but you could.  He should end up a ver good 2 hole hitter and GG defender.  Bax was my favorite 1B bat in the draft, lefty will have good to great power an amazing eye and good to great contact with very good defense, while this build has had high bust potential in the bats, looking at you LAD dude taken during the Fingers draft, but if he doesn’t you have an AS.  After two HR type picks to swing and a miss with the last 1st round pick you own isn’t to big a deal but Lovera is not Mi Amora, contact I don’t think will be good enough even with the power and solid eye and ok looking defense I think he ends up forgotten very quickly.  I thought the Hatanaka pick was very good I think he ends up a very nice bat, I also like the Vint selection, his 5 point drop hurt his draft stock, but if he can rebound he becomes a good bat.

Mon
Grades:

Review:
MM:  Late round fliers, I like the ones not named Caw.  Allame seems to project and Costers is young and pre-jump.  None offer the defense typically drafted in the late rounds, but could become major league players.  It's probably all you can ask with three late picks.

MZY: Lotto late picks

Nym
Grades:
MM: A+ 

Review:
MM: I think Mauri could end up the top starting pitcher out of this draft and I think him or Marshall takes that title.  I like pretty well everything about Mauri except for his throwing arm.  Great profile, super low home run rates, excellent ground ball rates.  Everything about him just makes sense for him to become great.  I also like Williams as a closer, I think that's a real solid pick, and I would not be converting him to starting pitcher, although I'm not sure of managements plan at this point with him. Fajardo is a solid catcher, drafted at a fairly appropriate spot.  Chavira has the defense to eventually play, although I don't think his bat catches up.  Thompson is another solid reliever who I think can make a major league pen. It looks like it was mailed in late as I don't think McLiver or Butler can or will amount to much.  Gillingham is one I might attempt to stretch out, although he could be a valuable bullpenner as well.  I like this draft a lot.  I think it could be foundational.    

MZY: Mauri is the 3rd best SP in the draft, and I know Decks favorite.  The 4 point Bday drop was a bit disheartening however he projects to be a lot like Salazar but potentially a bit better with great control and very good to great movement, his projection looks a lot like Marshall when you compare them side to side.  Mauri has only one pit fall, the HR were up a few years, not far up but up enough that as a lefty you worry, yet he had one season where he gave up almost none so time will tell.  Williams was my favorite CL of the draft, this guy will be a baller don’t convert him let him CL and watch your pen take shape around him arm.  Woods was a nice pick up young lefty without HR issues, the walks are a concern especially for a RP.  Fajardo is Terrance Smart they are the same player, while I prefer Smart I think Fajardo becomes a good everyday catcher.  I like Chavira in the 3rd he had an ok jump but his defense is really good, if his bat can improve he could end up a starter.

Nyy
Grades:
MM: B+

Review:
MM: I like Paxson more than most, and I probably would have given him strong considerations at #1.  He should be an elite defender at shortstop and give you on base ability albeit without the elite speed many covet.  He'd have been in my top three discussion with Mauri and Marshall so that's good. So for those saying he probably didn't have to trade up to get him I wouldn't have bet on it.  Other than being a bit old Madrigal has stuff you are looking for.  Not sure he'll stay all control/movement as his strikeout to walk rates suggest he may get more power than many and become a power/movement guy, although with his groundball percent it could work out better than many.  Being already over 60 without having jumped this season is a solid thing too, especially considering his age.  A nice jump here sets him up well.  Gheorghe has a decent profile although I don't like the way his career arc is trending.  I could see Capretz in the bullpen and Satchell seems projectable.  I am not sure Medlock and definitely not Dooley do anything for me, but they aren't throw away picks so there is that.

MZY:  I really do like Paxson, best floor player in the draft.  GG defense amazing eye, a touch of speed and some good contact, personally ive learned take the best SP if you ever have the 1st pick in the draft but that might be a me thing.  Regardless he will be a very good player, with a long career ahead of him, though he lacks the excitement of a #1 pick.  I don’t like Madrigal, im not sure why I just don’t like him, he is a Con/Mov guy I just don’t think he gets to the point where he is anything more than a back end starter I also feel like there were much better players on the board here.  I liked the picks of Gheorghe and Medlock in the 3rd and 4th better then Madrigal, even if both have potential HR issues and the former has a massive BB  issue but both could see work in the back of the rotation or in the pen.

Oak
Grades:

Review:
MM:
 Andy Thurber, what to say 12 splits to the right, not much power, mediocre defense, but at least he has a large upside and high peak.  I see a contact/eye corner outfielder with marginal defense.  Sure he can hit at the top of the lineup, but he's a guy you'll continuously be looking to replace.  Not a fan in the first round, even with his peak. Terrance Smart I like, and a pretty reasonable place to get a catcher, his limited upside and more advanced age puts a cap on his top end ability, but the guy can play defense and should smack some doubles.  Might find his way into a 15 home run hitter as well. J.B. Nicholson in the third round is a reliever I had zero interest in, although he still has enough upside to maybe make it work, his next development jump is pivotal.  Dallas Cotton is the one guy in the late rounds who I think could make the back end of a rotation.  I'm very much curious to see how that works out.

MZY:  Thurber is an interesting pick, he looks to end up as a well rounded player with great contact and solid power speed and eye with average defense in the OF.  But this late in the round he was an excellent choice he will be a good MLB everyday guy.  Love the pick of Smart, he was my original plan at 30 I think he ends up a good starter and the 3rd best catcher of the draft overall.  Nicholson is interesting that is the type of build I look for in a starter, but not sure how it pans out as a RP, but and interesting development to watch regardless.

Phi
Grades:
MM:

Review:
MM:
 With my draft the bias is going to be flowing.  I like Tenorio as a closer candidate.  I see high ground balls, a near two to one strikeout to walk ratio, and a very low home run number.  He hasn't jumped this season so I'm buying on that.  Plus at 50 overall, who knows which way that will go.  I don't much like drafting first basemen but for some reason Winters struck my fancy.  He looks to have a home run profile and like everyone drafting these kind of guys I hope he's the next Engelbrecht.  Rapadas was purely a vitals over overall guy with narrow splits, worth a shot in the third round I believe.  McKenney was another high ground ball reliever I'm hoping can start my ways of growing talent in short supply areas.  Flynn was probably over drafted, I panicked after Milwaukee took the guy I was in love with one pick ahead.  I wanted an arm catcher in this draft and Peters fit the bill.  Galvadon and Critchlow have some defensive prowess.

MZY: I don’t like Tenorio, he want on my board and I don’t think he ends up anything more then a ok RP, he doesn’t strike me as a CL or a guy that I would have to have.  This should be music to the ears of Dave after my harsh criticism of Capitanio, but I feel more right about this one.  I do like Winters but that 5 point drop kept me at bay I still think he can rebound and end up a scary good bat in a Paul Lucey type build, if he hits that he is a steal at 40.  I didn’t like Rapadas either, first off he sounds like a knock off Pokémon and even as a young lefty bat I think he falters to even hit the level of 4th OF.  I did like the gambles on McKenney and Flynn as they are both projectable arms.

Pit
Grades:
MM: N/A 

Review:
MM: Traded entire class

MZY: No picks

Sdp
Grades:
MM: C-
MZY: C+

Review:
MM: Another high ground ball pitcher in the first round, stop me if you've heard this before.  Reichel has extremely high ground ball percentage, going over 60 and has the projected stats to match.  He won't strikeout many, but walks few and gives up even less homeruns.  With no jump this season there is a lot yet to like and his low endurance is seen by many as a real positive.  Reichel could be your best control/movement player from this draft.  Darren Bartlett makes very little sense with his horrid defense, although there is an outside chance he becomes a power/eye guy who can be of value as a DH, but it seems unlikely.  Eric Tremayne can play defense and his eye may get high enough he can get on base just enough to make the lower rungs of the batting order. Paul Giddens is a lower peaked, old Bartlett and Chris Richardson I just can't see making it.   

MZY: Percy was having internet issues so I will allow a bit of grace with his draft due to that.  I don’t like the Reichel pick, I feel like there was better SP there a few amazing RP and a lot of great bats, now there is a lot to like with him.  Young projects as a nice Con/Mov RHP no HR or BB issues and his August Bday only turns him 18 so plenty to like and easy to see why he was taken.  Even with a nice projectable build the pitches are too close to his overall meaning he will have to peak high to have good pitches, but if he ends up with one of those hated 5 point drops, he might just disappear.  Barlett is a player who switch to 2B and hope his defense holds up there as it isn’t good enough for SS, his contact should be high but the rest of the bat falters, hence his fall into the auto pick category.  I like Tremayne, opposite of Barlett, I move him to SS and even with his clandestine bat he is projected to have his great range and fielding make up for his slightly subpar arm strength

Sfg  
Grades:

Review:
MM:  I really like the 17 year old Kirsten, he's another guy pre-jump who if he threw with his right arm would have been drafted in the first round.  His amateur stats as a 17 year old are to die for, the rest are good enough to make you interested.  Alex Velasqueu is a reliever who can probably play although his home run numbers might be a little concerning for his development. Peter White rounds out the third straight lefty, I figure the Giants management figures take value where you can get it since so many ignore the lefties.  He's got the profile people crave.  Chris Dunbar is 18 and at worst should be a real good platoon bat, but it wouldn't surprise me to see him hit in a lineup for multiple seasons. A good armed catcher, a solid defender in centerfield who hits left handed, both check the boxes.  The reliever Bullen should be able to make a mid-bullpen spot and the back guys are better lottery tickets than some.  Took a lot of overall drop guys to see if they can catch the bounce back. Interesting move and I'll watch to see how it works out.

MZY: I liked the first pick of Kristen, a lefty without HR problems who projects as a mid rotation to back end guy of the Con/Mov build should be a solid SP when he grows up.  I am luke warm on Velasqueu do not to him being lefty but him projecting to be a meh bullpen arm, there were a lot of solid pen arms out there and some that were better were still on the board at 62.  I don’t like Peter White he is going to get lit up, he will be a HR machine masquerading as a back end starter.  I liked the choice of Dunbar, had he been a lefty he would have gone a few rounds earlier, he should end up a solid player.  I like the pick of Leech and Abila as well, both will have places on benches one day at the very least.

Sea
Grades:
TT: C

Review:
MM:  Dedire has speed, but without position change glitching the guy and catching the right break he's going to be a marginal defensive shortstop. Lomgori has the arm strength you want and is young with upside but his profile is fairly bleak.  Hoping to catch lightning in a bottle or sell high on a strong armed high peaked player.  Sorrenti should be more than adequate at defense, but his splits are bad and he may struggle to hit his weight (If he weighed more than 170 that is).  Poca is chasing the bat, which should be solid, but has no defensive place and without power I'm not sure he'll play.  Certain he's a trade chip although in Seattle they all are.  Empasis is a great selection and being a lefty with that profile he got the guy far later than others.  His upside is real nice.  Kiyomizu has to become some sort of tolerable reliever to have any value.  He probably shouldn't have been drafted, although I'm certain he'll bring a profit at some point.

MZY: Seattle letting everyone down once again.  Derdire is a nice looking player if you ignore the bad contact, the fact he is so young menas he has time to grow, but he will have to do it well if you want him to get to that everyday MLB starter.  Lomgori is another low contact guy with very good defense much like the last pick the contact determines how good he ends up.  Sorrenti has some great D and a meh bat, if the bat gets a hit of magic juice he becomes a starter, if not a good bench dude.  Poca is hopefully going to develop a nice bat otherwise he is gonna be nothing.  Kiyomizu a guy going in the 4th when he might have been not taken until the 5th, 22yr Japanese and had a 4 point birthday drop, we think the plan is the RP and hope he pans out.

Stl
Grades:
MZY: A-

Review:
MM:
 I'm genuinely curious to see what is going to happen with Luttrell.  He's also a very anti-Cardinals type pitcher, generally favoring the power guys.  I think most people would convert him to a starter, and I honestly lean towards thinking that is right.  With the conversion and the right jumps I could see him being an ace.  He also could possibly be a lights out closer.  Also with a 12 point upside the dude could peak out quite early and be done.  Could go any which way, but I love the pick.  Reinita has a home run problem, but has an interesting starting build, I still don't see him succeeding with the way he's set up however.  In a draft of power armed catchers leave it to St. Louis to zig while everyone is zagging.  Drafting a lower but still ok armed, elite game calling catcher who seems like he'll be able to hit.  Vlahakos seems more the typical St. Louis pitcher and his upside is legit.  Carrier is better than worthless in the fifth round so there is that.

MZY: Luttrell is an interesting pitcher, he wasn’t my favorite RP spec but he is a very nice looking guy.  Everythign screams good Cl to very good, however all 3 pitches that far under his overall is scary, also I don’t have a lot of experience with pitchers with the low ¾ arm slot in mogul so that will be interesting to watch.  I like Reinita, enough that when he was picked it thought it was the guy Percy took in the first, projects to be a high control good power and movement guy, his problem will be the HR, his K:BB is crazy good, but if those balls cnt stay in the park he will be hard pressed to impress.  Love the Beasley pick, his arm isn’t ideal but the rest of his D is superior, if the bat progresses nicely he will be a great edition to a lineup.

Tex
Grades:

Review:
MM: Not a big Woolsey fan, don't like the guys with high overalls and non-elite peaks.  Granted this was in the second round so the value is much better.  His pitch profile is nice, his ground ball percent is real low (Not a great thing) and I'm not convinced he has elite strikeout upside.  In the end I think he'll be just a guy.  Maybe slightly better than some just a guys.  I think Andrews contact will come up and his power should be there, he should be able to play and hits from the left side which is a plus.  Not a huge Thornber fan, doesn't seem to have enough strikeouts for how advanced a pitcher he is.  German Garcia looks like a projectable bullpen guy.  I don't like the build on Dewar, but I think McHardie should mash. I'm not sure the contact will ever get there, but he should hit a few bombs in the majors.  Chandler is the right kind of upside for late in the draft.

MZY: Woolsey is a Sp I like, not the flashiest guy out there but he projects as a Con/Mov guy with a nice bit of power to match, the college HR issue could be a problem but if corrected you could have a nice mid rotation arm.  Andrews I liked a bit too big power should have decent contact and an ok eye, not much of a defender but could end up a solid DH.  Thornber and Garica are solid RP pickups, I don’t expect much out of either but they could mature just right and be useful pieces.

Tor
Grades:
MZY: D (1st Rnd) A (Rest of the Draft)

Review:
MM:
 Toronto traded back time after time but picked up a lot of second round picks.  I don't really like Minard, but if I'm taking a guy I don't love, a 16 year old is the place to go.  Power/Movement pitchers have a narrow window to be successful and I think Minard is going to be that kind of guy.  Junior Patrick on the other hand is the opposite and seems to project with more certainty.  I'm nervous about the kind of homerun numbers he gave up in his amateur profile however, especially for sure a low ground ball guy.  Mulroy doesn't do much for me as a mediocre power guy without elite defense.  I am very intrigued by the development of Lee, but do believe he'll flame out, but I can see ace potential in the guy.  Aaron Jones and Brad Dutko I both liked, but wasn't strongly targeting as they both have significant flaws.  Kevin Leonard would be on my list of likely to work out but I hate Soto.  Celestine late seems like a solid selection, and Adam Appel is a nice name and catcher selection late.  Kay and Oettli might be able to play, both have nice profiles and I have mixed feelings on Spotterswood, but generally don't think I'm a fan.

MZY: I am not a big fan of Minard, I liked his brother Rex but I don’t think even at his age he has the projection to be that type of arm you cant wait to use, he reminds me of Edgar Vazquez the RP on the Mets, a lot of promise but I see his control falling to short to be of any use, also appears to have a HR problem and walks to many folks.  See above for Minard, though I think Patrick ends up more a Con/Mov build I don’t think he is good enough to see anytype of Starter roll unless on a rebuilder or desperate contendor

I like the pick of Mulroy he was the best CF in the draft, he should end up with good contact and solid power and eye with ok defense, not the best player but he will be a good all around contributor.  If Lee didn’t have a HR problem id love him, as is I think he still might be a useful guy to have, I liked the pick of Jones as well solid looking RP.  Dutko was one away from being taken by Phi and 2 away from being taken by my love this guy, his 4 point Bday drop hurt his stokc but he could have a Pow?Eye combo that scare teams, but like most of the bats in this draft that will depend on the contact final tally more than anything else. Leonard and Soto are great choices and the picks of Spottersood and Oettli are also solid selections who could pay big dividends.  Also don’t sleep on Apple, he is no Oragne.

Wsh
Grades:

Review:
MM:  Not a fan of two pitch pitchers but if he develops his third pitch early enough his others might be bad enough it can catch up.  Obviously Wood is an elite ground ball guy and those guys tend to develop and be coveted.  There is some sneaky power in Wood though so his upside might be right.  Home run issues could crop up.  Lutsky and Freeman seem like peak buys, as they are players many weren't all that intrigued in, but Washington seems to get value out of just those types who people pass up for some blemish.  Alfaya is a nice defensive third baseman, but will lack power.  He likely will get on base enough to be able to hold down the fort somewhere.  Noah Rose is buying low, and if he jumps to where he could might be valuable enough to net a trade.  Max Garrica has the profile and Ira Williams and Mark Paulus haven't locked anything in yet.  I am not seeing much in the way of future players for the National program, but the trade bait upside is large here.    

MZY: I love Wood, (Ill just let that sink in)  I think he projects to be a Con/Mov guy that ends up towards the top of a rotation, not Ace level, but a damn good 2-3 type, Peter was smart to snap him up at this point of the draft.  With Great power comes great responsibility, but no contact.  Boom or Bust Lutsky was taken in the 2nd he might have the biggest power of the draft but the contact is so low especially for a Righty you feel the only way he becomes of any use if by divine intervention.  Alfaya another guy I liked that went well before I thought he would, great D ok bat, ends up a great bench piece, or if magic occurs a solid everyday guy.  Peter finished out his draft as he does most of the itme, young bats with a Pow/Eye look, soon enough those 4th 5th and 6th round picks will be available for your 1sts, just you wait.
Pit GM
'08- Current: Pirates GM Record
'56-'08: Seattle GM Record 4606-3510 .568 win%
'20-'32: San Francisco GM Record 875-1231 .415 win%
'10-'14: Minnesota GM Record 324-324 .500 win%
World Series Champion 2010, 2089, 2092, 2095
American League Champion 2010, 2062, 2089, 2092, 2093, 2095

Best Record Full Year (Regular Season and Playoffs Combined):  131-45 .744 win%
Winner of first ever FCM World Series
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »