• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2089 Draft Review
Ari
Grades:
TT:
MZY: A

Review:
TT: 

MZY: I like the Zona draft, a tough year to begin a rebuild trade wise with so many sellers and Zona took their lumps for a number of their deals, but they added a lot of picks and were able to do very well with them.  Dennehy was a high target of mine, his bat will not be stellar but his fielding should be good to very good and he will steal tons of bases, I fear he could end up like Billy Hamilton hit close to the Mendoza line, but if gets on base via walk or a weak grounder who cares he will end up on second pretty quickly.  Cooley was a great grab with so many top SP already off the board,  Looks to be a prototypical Con/Mov guy with a high GB rate and with a good fastball and curve he will be a very good top end SP, without a HR issue.  Vasquez has a nice Dh build, he might not who I would have taken here with plenty of other talent still on the board but you cant knock him, even if he may have jumped already.  Dupoy was a risk, the speed isn’t really speed so he wont steal many bags and the bat will be nice and the defense will be good but with a 22nd birthday right around the corner there is a lot of concern.  Chetwode is a nice pick late in the 2nd he could be a mid rotation starter especially with those lower HR totals.  Miller was a great pick up very surprised he didn’t go earlier.  Also Steal of the draft alert, Farias going into the 3rd is a shock to me, he was the guy I had planed taking with my 2nd round pick, yes he is 22 going into next season but one jump might put him in the majors I think he could easily be a 3rd starter within 2-3 years.

Atl
Grades:
TT:
MZY: B+

Review:
TT: 

MZY:  I might end up loving most of these drafts due to the strong talent pool this year but I also really like what Rocky did for Stang and Atlanta.  Moye is a very good pick, some will want to make him a starter since he is only 16 and that might be the play, but why.  He doesn’t give up HR and he has two good pitches with nice RP vitals, the OBA is a bit of a concern and the K:BB isn’t ideal but I like the pick, more so if they leave him at CL.  Martin is nice pick, there are some concerns with the HR but the K:BB ratio is ideal, the OBA is bad here as well but a lot of what to like or not like about him will depend on his jump this year, he had an early birthday so if he gets a nice jump he could look more like what I feel Rocky saw in him and not what he looks like now, which is still pretty darn solid.  Froggatt, if you can take a 17yr Switch hitter in the 3rd round it must mean Andy wasn’t drafting this year, since he wasn’t Rocky did well to snag him.  Moore is another steal candidate, had a drop right before the draft but has great D for 3B has a solid looking bat with great eye and is a switch hitting 18 year old, Bravo on that pick Rocky and shame on the rest of you for not seeing him.

Bal
Grades:
TT:
MZY: D+

Review:
TT: 

MZY: Well that was a short-lived enjoyment of draft classes, sorry HH.  I don’t like this class for Baltimore at all, Millsaps best thing to like is his small birthday drop, and that’s it.  Yes he has that power eye combo that is good for hitters but his defense is poor he might play the field but why give the runs he might hit in right back, he should hit lefties ok but I fear he will not get close to the magical 75 vs RHP mark he would need to, I might be wrong he could end up Scott Miller or Raul Perez, but I just don’t see it.  Stiegeler has a build some people like reminds me of Patrrio who HH got a while back, however he has a HR problem he walks more then the Ks his OBA is high to scary high and the rest of his perennials are bad, maybe he turns it around or maybe he flames out bad, he is 17 so he has plenty of time to get better, I just fear he wont.  Hill was the best pick he made (or was autoed I hear) Good looking vitals across the board and might be due a jump this year, he will be the pick that I say at least I got Hill, when all is said and done with this class.

Bos
Grades:
TT:
MZY: B-

Review:
TT: 

MZY: Donillson is one of those pitchers you take because they are 16 and hope all the kinks get worked out as he ages.  I’m not saying he was a bad pick but there are a lot of questions with his game.  He appears to have a HR issue and he gives up a lot of runs, however his K:BB is great and his OBA is low so I think he can work through some of these bugs, if he can keep the ball in the park more he should be a good to very good SP.  Wrigth is a solid choice here good D and a great eye with a solid looking bat.  If he can get a power boost somewhere along the line you have a very good starter on your hands, if he doesn’t you still have a good starter but one where you look to upgrade the bat eventually.  I’m not going to Cottle Fred on his pick, I don’t like him.  Turns 22 in August all his vitals are below his overall and his pitches are not ideal for some of his age, through him into the RP track and home for the best but don’t expect much out of him.  I hate it when players get Mould(y) right before the draft, I actually like this pick better than the last one, just had a birthday so he could begin his development this year, we saw the drop if we can see the jump to we can see where he will be goin pretty quickly though the numbers don’t look great atm.  So after Fred was already dealing with a Mould problem he went out and got the Clapp as well.  I like Clapp a young RP with ok numbers and ok vitals, he will need to not stagnate in his development otherwise he will end up released in a few seasons, but I think there is a good chance he makes the pen eventually.

Chc
Grades:
TT:
MZY: N/A

Review:
TT: 

MZY:  No Picks

Chw
Grades:
TT:
MZY: Inc

Review:
TT: 

MZY:  3 Lotto picks

Cin
Grades:
TT:

Review:
TT: 

MZY: Theo went all pitching in a pitcher heavy draft, good call.  Balam was the first one he took, and while there is a lot to like about him I think there were at least 3 better SP taken after him, if not more.  He has everything you really want to see in a SP numbers wise and doesn’t appear to have a HR issue, however the OBA might be an issue and I’ve been burned too many times on guys with control so much higher than anything else, also I’m a pitches snob and Alirio does not meet the grade there, he might end up a Samuel Zuniga in which case Theo will be thrilled, however if he fails to make that level he might have some issues as a big time SP.  Parkhill was a solid selection with numbers I like to see, the fact that he is a Lefty will give folks pause since he appears to be at risk for a HR problem and the fact his birthday is quickly approaching, a small drop will make this an excellent pick, but either way you are looking at a solid to good mid/back end starter.  I am not positive but Hdeyoshi may have already jumped, regardless if that is the case you have a SP who could be tossed into the show right now, he would struggle but he could do it if needed.  He could end up a back end of the rotation arm, to find that at this point in any draft is good, or RP him and try to maximize his value.  The other three SP Theo took don’t stand out but they are all solid picks and good guys to gamble on.

Cle
Grades:
TT:

Review:
TT: 

MZY: I personally think this was the best bat in the draft by a mile but a fucking extra long country mile.  I think he ends up with huge power an amazing eye and surprising good contact, leave him in LF throw him to 1B  DH I don’t care he will be a bat you have HAVE to have in a lineup at all times, people will look back and think fuck when they realized they passed him over, some people more than once.

Col
Grades:
TT:

Review:
TT: 

MZY: Hard not to have a great draft with so many picks but it can be done, that wasn’t he case here but it could happen.  Haught was one of the better SP available in this draft, He is that con/mov top end Sp you and everyone else wants no HR issue solid K:BB the OBA is mildly worrying and the pitches are a very minor concern, due to the fact he is 17, but a August birthday will speak volumes but shouldn’t cause any issue or major concerns.  Munoz was a swing and a miss for me, this was a guy I thought for sure would be that early 2nd round Auto that someone got and went yeah! Then eh fuck.  He will have super power but I fear his eye doesn’t go up like one would want to see and his defense I don’t think ends up that good and I have a lot of concern with his contact, maybe the bat will come around enough you don’t care about the D or maybe you wanna DH him, who knows.  I like the pick of Wells, the high health and endurance are a concern but a lack of HR given up is encouraging as is the fact that he may have a jump in him still this year and at 19 you like the development chances, should be at worse a solid mid rotation starter.  I like the Blezio pick better than the Munoz one,  great D and that Caitaino from Philly bat build, now I fear with the vitals below the overall he wont get to Cap levels of awesomeness but if he can get into the mid 80s he will be a good starter regardless, if higher? Than an Allstar.  Some good OF and Sp picks in the 3rd and 4th and I love the fact that If you already have a Badman in the OF you want to find someone Badder, Todd should end up on a bench somewhere and was a solid late round selection.

Det
Grades:
TT:

Review:
TT: 

MZY: Eventually people will start to realize that while Andy drafts hitters like a Demi God GB does the same for pitchers.  Oclhoa might not have been on many peoples boards and might have caused a few raised eyebrows on draft day but look close, and past the impending birthday.  He has the good vitals starting build, he has good pitches he has a good K”BB rate, yes the HR are Jekyll and Hyding yes the OBA has been high tis one year and the DICE and ERA look bad, but at 17 (18 in a sim and a half) they are not a major concern, he looks to have top end of the rotation potential, even if he ends up in the middle of it it’s a great pick at the end of the round.  Clowery was a good pick nice vitals starting package good pitches and no HR issue, the OBA is high but he is only 18 and has a lot of room to grow in the town where pitchers are born.  Vasquec is a power hitting defensive monster, he is a 17yr lefty with a lot to like and far better then some of the trash GB was drunkenly autoed last year.

Fla
Grades:
TT:

Review:
TT: 

MZY: No Picks

Hou
Grades:
TT:

Review:
TT: 

MZY: You hate to like a Division Rivals draft, but you have to give TT big props here, he got the 2nd best bat in the draft in the supplemental round.  Weddigen is going to have the Capitiaino bat that I hated on all those drafts ago, in time power great contact and an average eye, 1B DH who cares another great bat that will be bashing my SP around for a long time.

Kcr
Grades:
TT:

Review:
TT: 

MZY: Andy finally (I think) is out of KC to the relief of many on draft days. However DLEE comes in and does a damn fine job, maybe worrying a few folks around the division.  Walsh is a good SP, while he does turn 20 and drop next sim he has very nice vitals and great stats, no HR issue low OBA solid K:BB high GB rate things look good, the drop might be a concern depending on size and the pitches are something id worry about, he may have been better off taking Wright but I cant knock him for taking Walsh.  Ringlemann is a good pick he wont have the power you really want at 1B nor do I think his eye gets high enough to be a great tool but the contact will be there and there is enough talent there to make him a very good MLB player, albeit one without big power.  The next two picks baffle me a little bit, Stephenson and Weber are both good looking specs the first being a great candidate to be a back end of the rotation starter and the later being a solid looking OF albeit more than likely a 4th OF, but both are 22 so im not sure about either due to that fact and where their vitals currently stand, both could get nice jumps and prove me wrong for doubt so we shall see.  I like Roden speed guys are good to grab later in the draft and take a chance on and taking two Rp with solid looking vitals is also very good to gamble on.

Laa
Grades:
TT:

Review:
TT: 

MZY: One lotto ticket

Lad
Grades:
TT:
MZY: B

Review:
TT: 

MZY: Love the pick of Logan he was one of my guys I liked high K:BB ratio very nice vitals and only 18, yes he may develop a HR issue yes his OBA was too high but even with those issue he pitched very well I think he develops into a good upper rotation arm but he could also develop into completely average only time will tell (Yes I’m aware that is obvious)  Highsmith is a nice grab good vitals good numbers no apparent HR issue, the fact that he may have already jumped dampens some hope with him but it’s a good pick and he will have time to fill out and id guess end up in the roation toward the back.  I don’t like Lynn, he has a HR issue as a lefty and walks as many or more then he Ks I fear he will never have the control to do more than Batting practice, and may not even do that well.  Arthur has fake speed so that will limits his value, Aycock is a nice RP ticket and I love the Pazano pick, very Peteresk.

Mil
Grades:
TT:

Review:
TT: 

MZY: 3 Lotto Tickets

Min
Grades:
TT:

Review:
TT: 

MZY: You hate to give Masc a good grade or a bad one because either way you’ll hear ab out it in chat forever, but he said he wouldn’t do that so here we go, good draft!  Wright fell right into the lap of Brent at 8 in shocking fashion, now I’m not knocking any Sp taken before him but Wright is one that most had to like, I was even told that I should have taken him at 5 (I shouldn’t have and didn’t) .  He doesn’t give up to many HR his OBA is low his other stats are very good his K:BB is great has a killer FB and at 19 has great vitals you are looking at a top end of the rotation starter, maybe Ace level when all is said and done, think McGlaughlin that Masc currently has, that is where he might end up, the biggest concern is the fact all the vitals are below the overall.  I like Canton leave him at CL and wait to see how good he gets a lot to like there, some concerns with OBA and a few more HR then you want to see in a RP but not enough to be very concerned if at all.  I wanna really like Souders but I have a very concerns as to how he develops and the fact his HRs are high like his OBA and ERA and DICE and Walks and …, he might end up ok or even good after that small birthday drop but I have a number on concerns.  Nornabell is an interesting RP guy could end up a good RP, and I wouldn’t send Rudy down the McDrain just get great D and solid bat, the impending 22nd birthday however causes pause. But all in all a good draft even if he had to Take Manuels great grandson.

Mon
Grades:
TT:
MZY: C+

Review:
TT: 

MZY: Hard to grade this draft well with all late picks, but Langelaan looks solid, however he J&H of his HR is an issue as well as the mostly high OBA, he had one really good season at 18, if that becomes the norm then he has a good player on his hands if he doesn’t hen we shall see what happsens.  I do like Creaney  nice left bat that will hit some HR and should make the everyday roster potentially or at worse a great bench bat. Hinojos is an interesting pick there is some thinks to like, keep an eye on him.

Nym
Grades:
TT:

Review:
TT: 

MZY: Oh so this is where all the picks fucking went.  Hodge is a good pick just had a birthday barely dropped low HR but a couple high season to watch for, J&H OBA an the K:BB is a bit off and the pitchers aren’t where id like but he has a nice build and with plenty of time to grow id expect him to end up a top end of the rotation SP.  I like Applegarth (Not as much as Orangewayne but that’s not here nor there)  he has a very nice lefty bat he will hit for average and for HR and get on base a lot a real triple threat, and very good defense to boot.  Now we have all seen this build fail as often or more often then it succeeds but I feel like Roger will do well in the MLB and for a long time.  McMillian was a nice pick he is super young and last a lot to like, at the same time there really isn’t a pattern to his stats which is something that bothers me, and maybe just me, it’s a good pick with a lot of upside, however the best bat in he draft was still on the board at this point.  Dewberry is a good pick, even better if you ignore his last year in College.  Juvera is a guy I like as a 3B starter with good D and a bat that should play very well.  A lot of Pitcher and OF taken after that and most have a few things to like even if all had been pick via dart throws a few of them will pan out making this a good year for the Mets.

Nyy
Grades:
TT:

Review:
TT: 

MZY: A good year to have a lot of high end picks.  Geraci was maybe not the consensus #1 btu there is a lot to like low HR mostly good OBA good K:BB good everything and only 18, one of aa handful of SP in this draft that have Ace potential.  Another one with Ace Potential is Hall who fell to Ryan at pick 4, while his starts and vitals are not as good as Geraci he is only 16 with a lot of time to learn and develop, and he may end up being even better then Geraci, either way you two of the best SP in the draft going to the same team, if both turn out you get a 1-2 punch that makes people their bitches for many many many years.  Not a huge fan of Davis Should end up with a good bat without much power but the lack of d means he will have to DH and without the power that is a bit of a bummer.  I like the OF taken all are nicely projectable and taking MacNeil is a good pick up as he could end up a good pen arm.

Oak
Grades:
TT:

Review:
TT: 

MZY:  Again hate to give props to division mates, but Doug did well, Younger is that OF we have seen a lot of late, is he Majoribank, is he Fernandez, is he the dude Andy stole last year, who now but whichever he is he will be a top of the lineup bat you want and love to sit back and watch rake hits and steal baes.  I’m not sure how Eliason fell so far in the draft good vitals good pitches great stats no HR issue amazing K:BB and could have a jump in his, we are talking about a guy that could be the best guy taken outside of the 1st round, now maybe he just doesn’t do it maybe the arm he throws with holds him back but the chance for him to end up good to very good is very very much there.

Phi
Grades:
TT:

Review:
TT: 

MZY: A lot of lotto tickets.

Pit
Grades:
TT:

Review:
TT: 

MZY: No picks

Sdp
Grades:
TT:
MZY: B

Review:
TT: 

MZY: In a draft of “OH my God look at the pitchers” then you go almost all hitters you get confused, but you dance to the beat of your own drum Percy!  McSwain is the a good looking player, who should have great defense and a solid bat but a far better hitter was taken just two picks later so it feel remised for what could have been in San Diego.  French isn’t a bad pick he was a guy that is young with time to grow and looks to have the ability to hit for average with a solid eye and a decent power stroke.  Parham was the only pitcher taken and looks to be a pretty good one, good pitches low oBA nice but not great K;BB and not a big HR guy, I think he makes the back of the rotation.  The bats of Adkins and Denno are good risks to take I like ti.

Sfg
Grades:
TT:
MZY: B-

Review:
TT: 

MZY: A lot of people, Andy being one of them I believe love Ruch, I don’t.  While he is the best RF available this year it was a shit year IMO for RF.  I think he will be a good defender with a very very average bat, a guy you start for years but are always looking to upgrade, how Hick has been very busy and did scout till right before the draft so someone should have said cough cough Younger cough cough and helped him out.  Yoshino (Sounds like something Mario would say in the middle of the night when Yoshi got to frisky) I like the build, but there is a lot of J&H across the board for HR to OBA and everywhere else, if he can settle down and develop evenly he will be a solid SP.  I like Kiddler the high OBA is scary and the HR are a concern but I think he ends up a good back end of the rotation arm.  Robinson, the Wildest Wild Card this year, massive 10 point drop right before the draft taking him from 1st round talent to pick 82 overall,  IF and that is a big if he can rebound and start a stair climb he will be a mid rotation starter, he has a lot of things that had been going for him, the big concern other than the fuck a duck drop was the HR he is giving up so even with a stair climb he might not get out of the woods. Love the Figueroa pick great looking RP.

Sea
Grades:
TT:
MZY: A+

Review:
TT: 

MZY: You read what Matty said!

Stl
Grades:
TT:
MZY: C-

Review:
TT: 

MZY: GD has a type, it’s a big guy with a power arm, I don’t blame him I like that too (Insert joke here).  However Menary doesn’t make sense to me, he has 93 Endurance and Health which are red flags for some if not most, he walks more than he Ks not good for a power SP his HR are not a concern yet but they are almost there and the OBA is very very bad, I may be wrong but I think this pick was a reach and a bust, I hope I’m wrong but I’m not sure I will be.  The next pick was far better, Sandler was a great pick young good pitches solid vitals, the OBA being a bit J&H is a concern and the last year of K:BB is an issue and the HR look to be wonky as well but I feel a lot more comfortable with him being a good mid rotation starter then I do with Menary.  Truitt feels like a guy between Menary and Sandler but more toward the Menary side so I’m not confident he will amount to much if anything.  Delaney was a nice pick amazing D and a good looking bat, should end up at worst a great bench guy if not a solid starter.

Tex
Grades:
TT:

Review:
TT: 

MZY: WP is known for his timely drafting and stealing players from people before they knew what was happening, I’m not sure this draft will live up to that reputation but it was pretty damn successful.  Hixon is a young SP in that Con/Mov mold great GB rate and solid OBA numbers, however his HR issue might be just that and is K:BB is ok but a little to close to 1 for my liking, I think he ends up a mid rotation starter which isn’t bad especially since he has the upside to be a bit better than that.  I like Hogue a lot, he is the same build as Hixson but further along (As he is 5 years older)  Great K:BB mostly great OBA, the issue here will be the HR an he fact he hits 22 end of august I don’t think he has jumped which could be a boon for him, but if he has then concern creeps back in pretty quickly.  I love Packer and Shave two very nice looking RP, could end up a great 1-2 bullpen punch.  I like Kerrigan, his bat might not end up in the 90’s for the Pow/Eye but if they do then ill really really like him, also he has the chance to be moved to 3B which I would do to increase value on him, looks to be a good starter for a number of year if not longer.  Starke is a bat that might surprise if the control comes along and the pow/eye grow then you have a good bat on your hands, love the late addition of Abaunza as well another solid looking RP.

Tor
Grades:
TT:

Review:
TT: 

MZY: Corey did well to pick pitchers around everyone else trying to do the same.  Westhead might not have been on many peoples list but he is a good pick up, a nice young projectable lefty with lowish HR totals a almost always stellar OBA and a nice vitals pacage with tow solid pitches, he wont win a Cy Young but he looks to be a very good mid rotation arm.  Wallace might end up better than Westhead, looks to have that nice Con/Mov build minus the bad year in college solid OBA no HR issue and solid K;BB I think he could be another mid rotation arm without the HR or being a Lefty issue.  Like the Delaosa pick should be a solid RP, McMurran is an interesting Cat as well his issue will be the control if it can keep up he will be a solid to good starter, if it falters he will have issues adjusting to the Show.  Mendez was a sneaking good pick late in the draft watch out for him, he could end up an everyday MLBer.

Wsh
Grades:
TT:

Review:
TT: 

MZY: Lotto tickets,  although I do like Sharp while the HR are a bit of a concern as is the OBA I think if he smooths out some edges he will end up a solid pen arm.

Pit GM
'08- Current: Pirates GM Record
'56-'08: Seattle GM Record 4606-3510 .568 win%
'20-'32: San Francisco GM Record 875-1231 .415 win%
'10-'14: Minnesota GM Record 324-324 .500 win%
World Series Champion 2010, 2089, 2092, 2095
American League Champion 2010, 2062, 2089, 2092, 2093, 2095

Best Record Full Year (Regular Season and Playoffs Combined):  131-45 .744 win%
Winner of first ever FCM World Series
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »