• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2088 Draft Review
Ari

Grades:
TT: B-
MZY: B

Review:
TT: 
I don’t see a ton of upside with these picks, but there’s some stuff to like. Davenport has nice splits, but doesn’t appear to be a high level OF spec. If the power can develop enough he could be a quality bat however. Ueda’s one to watch. With nice HR rates in his amatuer stats and his starting vitals around his overall, he can be a useful arm in the future.

MZY: Arizona picking at the end of rounds went on a youth kick to try to top off they bleak farm system.  Davenport was their top pick he is a 16 yr old OF who projects as a power eye RF.  The best thing about him is his age at the moment, while that might seem like a knock it isn’t he should develop into a good RF and with the right jumps maybe a very good one time will tell.  Ueda is a nice pick up, good vitals a lefty without a HR problem a high GB rate and a great K to BB ratio, he is a guy that could be one of the surprise SP in the draft.  Taylor looks a lot like what Davenport might look like in 3 years but it will be interesting to see how his power develops if its HR then great if its 2B then less great.  The rest are nice youth gambles.

Atl
Grades:
TT: A+
MZY: A

Review:
TT: 
Stang got a trio of really nice looking arms with high upside for each of them. Eckles was the guy I expected to have a shot at a few picks later, but he got snagged at #14. With those 3 being control/movement types, I’d bank on them turning out very useful for Stang in the future. McCormick is a nice versatile RH hitting power bat that could be really nice as a bench bat at the 4 corner spots. Keep and  eye on Helms and Salley as they have some good potential if the bat develops.

MZY:  How do you know Rocky is back in Atlanta? They draft 5 1B.  While the one might be a 3B its more fun to call it what it is, Rocky back with avengence.  Love the top of the draft for Atlanta, after Minard there were some questions for which SP goes next, Atlanta took one in the Radest way selecting Radriguez the arguably next best SP.  He followed that up by taking Sutton who I was a fan of even with his issues.  Radriguez looks to be that killer control movement guy with two good pitches (Though not a fastball) he should be looking like a top of the rotation arm, Sutton has a major HR problem, if he grows out of it he will be very good, if he cant he will be destined to go the the Lefty Pitcher Haven.  Eckels is a pick you love or hate, so much room to grow vitals looks very very good but was he taken to early? In this draft probably not but were there other guys on the board Stang might have been better off taking after selectin 2 SP already, probably but as long as he doesn’t Mogul Eckels has top end of the rotation talent.  I like the pick of MacCormack he was a guy I was looking to nab later in the round with Rocky back to whisper to the 1B he could end up very good but it will all be very dependent on how the contact develops.  Helms, Stally, Cross are all nice projectable bats as are the later round guys, and the two other SP taken need a lot of help but if they get those magic touches they will be servicalbe guys.

Bal
Grades:

Review:
TT: 
 I’m not very high on Hogg, but mostly because he looks like you’ll have to stash him in LF and even there he’s going to struggle with the glove. I see the bat projecting to be something close to 85/80/90 as a switch hitter he’ll be in a lineup, but not sure that’s good enough to be better than a platoon at DH. If it gets a bit better than that, then he could be legit.

MZY:  For those wanting to go Hogg wild over the Baltimore pick go for it, for the rest of us stay here and listen.  There is a lot to like here he is 17 he is a switch hitter and his eye is amazing, the issues, one is no defense so if you are looking for a DH perfect he is your guy, the other which may not be an issue is he hits RH better then LH.  This may be me but id sweat most Switch hitters are the other way around hit Rh above their overall vitals and LH at their overall vital, that isn’t the case here so while maybe nothing it causes he a bit of pause.  Loved the pick of Jameia I think he can be a very nice mid lineup bat with the right devolpment you might have a Allstar on your hands.  After that Baltimore grabbed a few late round Lottos.

Bos
Grades:
TT: B+
MZY: B+

Review:
TT: 
I see a bit of Montez Robinson in Archiega, which would be a really nice pick up for Fred. If the power keeps up with the contact, then that will make up for a little bit of a lack of eye that I’d usually like to see in the early 1st round bats like him. Medellin could end up looking like a nice power build, although the movement is lagging the power by quite a bit, so would like to see that catch up at some point.

MZY: Not the flashiest draft by any stretch of the imagination, but one that could be one of the best of the group in overall guys taken.  Now quickly while Fred rubs his eyes in disbelief, that is a pretty big could.  I hate the Archiega build, ive always hated it, I had a guy in the 60’s Satterly who was that build and played very well and I shit on Capitaino from Philly when drafted with the build and he has done ok so its more of a biased then anything.  If he turn into the Cap type guy it’s a homerun pick, if he turns into a Satterly it’s a double or triple type pick if he burns out Ford sytle you kick yourself.  So while I personally might not take the risk on a guy that will strikeout 4 times more then he walks its ok depending on how he rubs it out.  Medellin is another guy I was high on until I coudlnt overlook the HR given up, he has a nice build but if the HR remain an issue he will be an issue if they right themselves then he could end up a mid to upper mid rotation arm.  Fornier and Agar have some seceret sneaky upside.  Fornier could end up being a solid OF guy that steals a few and hits well enough to be a 2 hole guy.  Afar might be a bit long in the tooth to hope for too much out of but if he hits on the turn and the river he will be a good bat to have.

Chc
Grades:
TT: B

Review:
TT: 
I like Nygaard as a sneaky good CF, or at the very least an above average corner OF. The speed should net him 20-25 SBs on top of some decent pop with the bat. Morinaga might be a righty killer some day, but he’ll be a platoon guy at best.

MZY:  Im not going to lie at first I did not like Nygaad at all, but the more I looked at him before the draft and after the draft that opinion changed.  He looks to be a very good defender and has a fair amount of power and should steal a few bases could be a 20-20 or better type bat, plug him in the 2 hole and watch him roll.  In a draft with a fair amount of iffy bats it’s a shock Dan fell as he did, young lefty bat that will have a good amount of power, the question is his contact and eye if they remain relivant you got a steal in the 3rd round.  Davis is a nice projectable bat, probably not much of a catcher but maybe in a pinch, the rest are what they are.

Chw
Grades:
TT: C
MZY:  D (Unless Auto Picked then Sad Face
)

Review:
TT: 
Obviously the contact is going to be the biggest issue with Donnelly, but the dramatic splits (19 point difference betwen vs LHP and vs RHP) make it even more likely he ends up on the bench or a platoon partner. The poor defense makes it even more likely he’s a part-time DH at best. The good news is that he is only 17 so he may grow into a better hitter. Genarro may be a decent sleeper to watch, although the defense probably keeps him on the bench unless the bat develops quite a bit.

MZY:  Donnely is about to have a birthday that might hurt, a lot.  If it does you throw up in your mouth a bit, if it doesn’t then you breath a small amount of relief, and prepare to do the same thing next June.  He is the bat I think most feared they would get stuck with, no contact speed that isn’t really speed and no position to play, the type you hold for a year or two hoping people forget about so you can trade them and get anything of small substance in return.  Kershner, See above.  Genarro is the best pick of the class for the Sox, he problaby wont be much of a catcher but should be a solid bat he was honeslty a guy I was about to take before he went.

Cin
Grades:
TT: C+
MZY: C+

Review:
TT: 
I thought James was a bit of a reach, as I had him below Hales as the 3rd best 1B in this draft, but he’s a decent RH bat to bet on. The RP depth was pretty poor this draft, but Okumiya was one of the better options and with his age he should have a shot to develop into a nice RP option, especially if the control develops. RP Strong was probably the most ready of the RP class, and while he doesn’t project as a closer or late inning piece, he could be a short-relief option.

MZY: I don’t like James, the eye is lagging behind the power and the contact is not enough above the overall to make me confident it will be good enough to be a full time player anywhere other than a rebuilder.  He should hit lefties just fine but there are plenty of guys that can do that and most are not selected this high in a draft.  Okuhimya is a ok looking RP not sure how he will turn out id guess not great but at his age plenty of time to develop WB and pray he gets enough of a jump to calm nerves on him.  Strong was the best pick of this class a very nice looking RP spec and the best of the draft for RP IMHO he should end up at worst a great setup man but I see him as a good CL.  The rest are projectable SP projects.

Cle
Grades:
TT: A-

Review:
TT: 
Megaghy was another target of mine in the middle of the first. The defense projects to be above average at 3B, and the bat should be pretty potent for a righty hitter. Olson has a nice starting build and solid HS stats, although the one year of college showed some HR issues, but he’s definitely got middle rotation upside at least. I think I saw Matty claiming Ariaz was the best CF in the draft, and he got him in the late 2nd, but I had Whitfield slightly ahead of him. Regardless, Ariaz has some nice upside. I like his power potential and looks to be able to steal a few bags and get on base at a pretty decent clip despite the lower contact projected for him.

MZY: As I stated in the POD I was not a fan of Megaghy to me he looks like at best he will be a Scott Miller who might not completely shit the bed at 3B.  Now there is nothing wrong with Scott Miller he is a good bad that most would love to have in their lineups but for whatever reason, and I may be wrong, I just don’t like Noah and I don’t want to aruge about it so please don’t @ me.  Olson I am fond of I was targeting him a few picks from where he went but was unable to get him, he looks to be a nice LHP, the one ding was the first year of College he gave up a lot of HR, if that becomes a trend you worry a little bit.  I don’t know what to make of Ariaz he has some speed and will swipe some bags, he also has a good power/eye combo, but he doesn’t have the range you would expect to see with the speed and while he should be OK in the field, you hope for better.  He also had a major contact issue so it will be interesting to see how he plays out.

Col
Grades:
TT:
MZY: NA

Review:
TT: 
 no picks

MZY: No picks

Det
Grades:
MZY: One Night in Bangkok, the tale of how drunken shenanigans ruin a once fabled franchise

Review:
TT: 
We all know how GB feels about his draft, but I think he did alright for only hand-picking 1 of the players he ended up with. At #7 he was able to get Slerra, who initially didn’t stand out to me as being listed as a LF, but when you slide him over to CF, he projects to be a very good defensive CF that will hit for a decent average and plenty of power, with the bonus is that he should hit lefties well enough to not need a platoon partner. Now to the auto-picks….Varley was one of 3 or 4 guys I was considering at #16 interestingly enough, so I don’t think that is a bad auto at all. He’s young and will play a fine corner OF spot, and I could see his vitals getting to 90/90/90 vs RHP if it all goes right. Narvaiz will play a solid 3B, and depending on how high the contact goes, he could be a really good 3B with the bat as well. Buckun was a nice pick up, and could be a more balance hitter than Narvaiz.

MZY:  So lets start with GB got hammered the night before the draft that caused a lot of mostly shitty Auto picks.  He is not happy and now wants out of Detroit, ive seen a lot of Rage Quits from games before but a Melancholy quit is a new one to me (He might move West to Colorado to have the legal weed to help calm the once Steel Nerves)  Anyway,  Slerra is a great pick young lefty bat with very good defense, should develop into a good power guy, the issue with him is how the eye and contact develop if they lag too far behind you might really need to go on Bridge watch with GB if he remains in Detoroit.  Varley is probably the best auto you could have hoped for, young left bat that should be able to play in the outfield and could end up with a good eye and solid to good power and contact if so things could calm slightly.  Navariaz, good power eye build but the lack of contact is a major issue here as he hits 21 next offseason, while he also might stick in the field it will be at 1B not his given 3B, but Dh is most likely if he can make it.  Hayes has some of the best amateur numbers I have seen in a while which gives you the sliver of hope he doest become shit.  I think if he remains on the 3 vitals development path he should end up nicely in the majors.  Winger and Buckham are the ones that might hurt the most as Autos, they are not much and there was still good talent their, while I honely don’t think the 1sts hurt him too much the 2nds really do.  Holsinger is a solid pick up he was on my list and I think he could end up a solid MLB plaery one day.

Fla
Grades:
TT:

Review:
TT: 

MZY: No pickos

Hou
Grades:
TT: No grade but, I'll give some insight to my thought process :)

Review:
TT: 
Walls was my 4th or 5th rated SP, so I was pretty happy to get him at #16. I see him as being very similar to my Norway, although the movement is dragging a bit behind the overall compared to when Norway was drafted. I’m hoping the extra year younger and more upside will help overcome that. The biggest concern is obviously his health, so that’s something to watch. I grabbed a trio of 3B, which looking back was lazy, but really I think they all have a shot, and knowing the value a a good 3B around here, if more than 1 turns into something, I should be able to trade one for good value.

MZY: Really like the pick of Walls and I know I wasn’t the only one, young projectable LH pitcher he has a lot of things going for him, the only issue that could arise is the same issue on all LHP the HR, they are Jeckle and Hyding at the moment, if that continues that’s ok, if it goes all Hyde then Something Wicked this Way Comes.  With the rest of the picks TT decided, give me all the “3B” all are projectable in their own way, we shall see if one pans out and I believe that might have been the goal, shotgun blast at the 3B pool hope to fell one.

Kcr
Grades:
TT: A-
MZY: A-

Review:
TT: 
Obviously another Andy draft with tons of upside. Minard was the gem in this draft, and for good reason. Ace upside, and even his floor is probably a good #3 barring some terrible luck. Winston has a nice start to his build, and the movement could go into the 90’s. The control should get near 80, but with the power lagging so far behind everything else, I see his ceiling as a middle rotation arm. The rest of the draft was full of potential RPs and MIFs with some speed and defense ability.

MZY: Minard was the best SP in the draft there is not any contention there.  He is going to be a hell of a good Sp, Upper rotation good SP, maybe not Ace good but id guess pretty damn close.  Winston was a sneaky good pick, he was a guy some were tracking and after Andy took him those that weren’t we thinking shit what did I misss.  What you missed what a guy that is a Minard light without all the bells and whistels that Minard has.  Andy may have struck gold with 2 top roatoin arms in the draft when everyone was scrambling ot get some.  Gallagher is a solid looking OF that is now listed as a SS so it will be interesting to see for what purpose that is.  After that a lot of young projectable guys but nothing that jumps out.

Laa
Grades:
TT:
MZY: N/A

Review:
TT: 

MZY: No picks, thought Dan will argue that he deserve an A for turning his picks into Waterson, and he very well might.

Lad
Grades:
MZY: A

Review:
TT: 
Crumley was pretty much the consensus #2 player in this draft, and for good reason. I saw some comparisons to Fingers from ARZ, and I’d say those are pretty much what you hope for from Crumley, although he comes with much worse splits than Fingers showed on draft day (-13 from vs LHP to RHP where Fingers was at -7) but overall with the speed and defense ability at the MIF, he will have value, or at the very least someone will pay big time for him as he nears his peak. I had Chapman pegged as a late 2nd type of value, so at #33 he seems a bit of a reach, but that was a theme with the arms in this one, so I won’t ding him too much for this pick. The GB% is a big yikes, but the amateur HR stats don’t look to be anything too terrible, and being only 16, I’d guess he stands a good chance to get that GB% up into the 30% or better range. Sleepers picks in Milroy and Gausin are guys to watch from this class.

MZY: Crumbley is the best all around player in the draft bar none.  Great defender good bat great speed he should end up a guy you don’t trade for anything, not the guy you add to a list of 12 other cats just cuz, more of a 1 of 1 type list of no go trade guys, watch him with Awe.  Chapman was a solid pick especially with him being so young, however you worry he fell so far due to a Skylark concern where the best thing going for him is his age, if that is the case trade bait he becomes.  The next three gusy are solid projectable bats and consider what was selected around them very good choices.  Shini has looked very good in the Amateur circuit if he gets the right jumps he could be a semi dominant SP in the majors but a lot of questions are there hence his fall into the middle roudns.  Jeff Meh might end up being a steal of the draft, guy fell far and has some nice things going for him, he could be one people look back on and go “Fuck”

Mil
Grades:

Review:
TT: 
Lots of picks for Jmaine here, but the big ones were his 1sts. Grafton has massive power potential, at least against RHP, but he’s a nice pick at the back of the 1sts when the top 1B were off the board. Train is interesting. He’s old at 22, so he’s probably not too far away, so if he can jump soon he could be a really nice piece, otherwise you’re probably looking at a #4 or #5 type of guy at best. I had my eye on RP Anderson, I think he’s gonna be a nice short reliever eventually. Weaver, Naravan, and Teeter are some young lotto picks worth watching.

MZY: I wanna love Grafton but I cant, I don’t dislike him don’t get me wrong he looks like the usual plug and play Lefty power 1B.  The eye is a concern for me id want to see it higher myself, but as discussed on the POD sometimes we let one little thing distract us from taking good players, and Grafton could end up a good players so a slightly less than favorable eye should not distract from that.  I love Train if he was a bit younger id have taken him at 25 him, I think he will end up a pretty damn good mid rotation arm or better a lefty without a HR issue especially in this class is a site to be hold.  Wade was a under the radar good pick, no HR issue nice set of vitals and a pair of solid pitches he should see the MLB one day.  Anderson was a guy I sorely wanted and thought would slip further dwon fro me to take, I was of course per usual wrong he should end up a good RP one day, Jmaine claims he draft a bunch of CL this draft he grabbed a lot of RP lotto tickets if one scratchs off right we will never hear the end of it. He also took a fair amount of MIF projects if he can turn water into wine on 1 or two of them the draft gets even better fro him.

Min
Grades:
MZY: B-

Review:
TT: 
Couple of interesting arms at the top with Elisarraras and McConnish. High upside for both of those guys and I like taking a shot on both of those guys in the middle of the 1sts. Weier looks to have a nice starting RP build. The movement should be there, so if the control/power can creep up near 80 he’ll be a really nice option as a possible closer. Masc went all pitchers, so we’ll see how that works out, but he may have drafted half of his 2094 pitching staff in this draft, as his later lotto picks all look interesting to some degree.

MZY: I think Masc had one thing on the brain this draft, hint it was pitching as that is all he took.  Vlad the impaler was the first he took and is the least of them all IMO.  There is a lot to like here don’t get me wrong he has two good pitches and a nice control power build while his movement is below his overall you expect ti to start jumping and surpass power and maybe control turning him inot the coveted Control/Movement pitcher everyone knows and loves.  I have a theory as to why he wont do well but that is for another day.  I did like McConnish he would’ve been gone at 25 had he not been taken at 23 I like the build I like the pitches he did have that first year of college homerun barrage as long as that isn’t a new norm he will be mid rotation or better good.  Weier is a interesting looking guy far off to the point that is the concern with him but if he gets those right jumps he becomes a guy to watch but more then even with some other gusy the jumps will raise or lower him.  The rest are nice lotto types even if one hits the majors you feel good about it.

Mon
Grades:

Review:
TT: 
Tolwith was the pick in the 3rd, and he has a nice starting build for a power pitcher, he’s young, and his amateur stats don’t look terrible either. The power and movement will be there, so a jump could get that control to a point where he looks really nice. Then a couple of late lottos in the 6th, so who knows there.

MZY: I fucked up not realizing Tolwith was still on the board.  I like Tolwith no homerun issue vitals and pitches over his overall and good ammy numbers, this guy could be the next Canadian Mike McMonnies type pick, which if so then ill be even more mad with myself.  The rest are what they are, trade them to Corey for some Poutine.

Nym
Grades:
TT: A
MZY: A+

Review:
TT: 
NYM had a really nice draft. Mijangus was the #9 pick, and I see him as a boom or bust type of pick. He could be a monster if he jumps into the 90’s or so. He’s one of the few pitchers from this draft that I can see getting to 90 vitals across the board, but the movement will be the key for him, as the control looks to be in a good spot to not be the issue. Hales was my 2nd best 1B from this one, so getting him at #18 was a good pickup. Villsenr dropped pretty far for that contact/eye/speed CF that usually goes higher in most drafts. He’ll be an elite CF on defense, should get on base plenty and while I don’t think he’ll steal 60 bags a season, he should be good for 30-40. Whiteaway was a real nice pick and should be a quality CF in his own right.

MZY: Honeslty one of my favorite all around drafts.  Mijangus is one of those Sp you look at and say maybe just maybe.  For me its more than a maybe it’s a go I think he ends up in that convo for best overall pitcher of the draft, he wont be better then the #1 pick but he could be better than all the rest so watch him closely.  Hales was a great pcik the fact he fell that far is weird tried and true power/eye plug and play 1B he will mash and more than likely make a ASG or three.  Villsner one pick away from being mine, He is a guy that almost always goes top 10 or top 15 but fell to 24 this year I cant think of why he is a true CF with that will get on base and steal a ton, the eye could be better but he will be either a very very special player or a very solid everyday for a decade or more due, either way be happy.  Love the Whitelaw pick too, the incase the last speed guy doesn’t work lets take a slightly lesser one, and if both hit then there is the dash in the New Mets lineup for many years.  Bozarht more dash while no real position emerges he could end up like the guy the Dodgers had for years a Dh who steals everyting not nailed down.  Floyd was another good gamble some questions there but not enough that you want to knock the pick.  Its easy to have a good draft when all your picks fall in the first 2 rounds but you can fuck it up as well, Deck didn’t do that even a little bit.

Nyy  
Grades:
TT:
MZY: C

Review:
TT: 
 Couple late lottos picks so no grade

MZY: Its not that it was bad but when you picks are a 4th and 6th in a draft that dried up mid 3rd you can only do so good.  Senteno is a solid enough player could end up a starter but more than likely his career arc is a 4th to 5th OF

Oak
Grades:
MZY: A-

Review:
TT: 
I was a fan of Levinson, just as I was a fan of Gabusi, since they are pretty much the same player. Not much to really say as it’s pretty obvious that if he gets to that 94 peak he’ll be a really nice hitter, if he’s in the 80s then….Gabusi. Horner should have a shot to be a solid RP, but I have a hard time seeing him as a shut down closer or setup guy as his vitals are all currently behind his overall.

MZY: After Crumbley it was Levinson for me, Masc is mad im hot for him but shit on Gabusi, is that right or wrong of him lets discuss.  Or not this is Dougs pick not Masc, while they are identical in many ways on their draft day the thing I like more about Greg is he already has some solid defense if that can be expanded on he will end up being Gabusi +.  I don’t like the pick of Horner, I know Doug tends to go after RP but this one is a swing and a miss Everyting is below his overall and for some of us that means something so I fear a quick tank and die on Mr Horner who will end up back on the corner eating his Christmas pie.  I like Willard and MacCammond I think they are very nice picks that should pan out for Oakland, regrettable as that may end up for me.

Phi
Grades:

Review:
TT: 
I think Whitfield is going to be a pretty solid CF option that can do a little bit of everything, although he doesn’t look to be on track to be elite at anything. I like Sorley a bit as well. He’s young so I think he’s gonna have plenty of time to develop and turn into a nice power SP. Martyn is a sleeper, although he has very little upside at present and will turn 20 in a couple sims, so he’ll need to do something soon to be a real solid spec.

MZY:  I liked the Philly draft, they went with the semi speedy Switch hitter at the top a guy who can play the field and looks like a very good 2 hole hitter for the future Phillies.  He looks to be a great 20-20 guy fantastic pick.  Sorley fell from what I thought might be a mid 1st round pick to the end of the 2nd while there are some questions with him for him to drop that far ended up to Daves benefit.  I liked the Sproul and Martyn picks as well both were on my target list as 10 dollar scratchers.

Pit
Grades:
MZY: C

Review:
TT: 
Just one 3rd round pick for Gilly, but he looks do be a decent RP spec with a good GB% that should give him a chance to succeed even if the vitals don’t ever get to a point where he’d be an obvious bullpen option.

MZY: Only one pick but Gilly managed to nab one of the better RP specs in the class, while he has his issues his age and ability show someone who will see time in a bullpen one day and potentially for many thereafter.

Sdp
Grades:

Review:
TT: 
King is very interesting with his control and power well above his overall, and the movement is lagging a bit, but is still high enough that I don’t worry too much about it. If he can jump he could be a really nice SP, but I’ll be watching his GB% to see if it can climb up a bit. Childers could be useful with his power build and a good GB% to start, although he’ll need the control to jump up a bit.

MZY: King was the top guy on my Board, as I knew I wasn’t getting many of the guys that went Top 10.  He has that build we saw a few years back in Viela and Arrendondo which for both still look to be holding up.  I think he should be a top end of the rotation and briefly thought he might fall 6 more spots into my open arms.  But alas he did not.  I dig the lotto guys Percy took as well while none jump up and say MLB here I come I woudlnt rule any of them compeltly out of that possibility. 

Sfg
Grades:

Review:
TT: 
Laidlaw I wasn’t super high on, mostly because I think he’s more of a 3B than 2B, although he might be fine either spot. But the bat doesn’t profile all that well to 3B, and I have a hard time seeing it being more than average at 2B. One thing I took note of was that he was a 70 overall at draft day, but only 17, which is unusual to be that high overall at that young age, and I’m not sure what that means for his development, but I will be watching closely. Miller might be the steal of the 2nd round. He’ll be a starting CF easily, and the lefty bat will play nicely for both average and some power.

MZY: I didn’t have Laidlaw on my list as a guy who might fall or who id take if he did, oversight? Maybe? He looks to be a solid defender and id bet he ends up a power eye bat if so he could be a solid player in the majors but im for whatever reason not a fan which doesn’t mean much in the end.  I really liked Miller I thought he was one of the sneaky OF that people will regeret not nabbing.  Contact eye good d and a hint of speed, he wont be a HOF but he should end up a very competent starter.

Sea
Grades:
MZY: ?

Review:
TT: 
Thompson looks like he might be a pitching machine built for batting practice sessions, and the amateur stats seem to indicate that as well. The power is so far above his control and movement, that I’m guessing he’s gonna have to get into the low 90’s to overcome that flaw. Page I like a bit more, but I think he’s going to have similar issues as Thompson in the end. Same thing with Miller. Warden is quite a bit different and probably has the best chance to actually reach the majors, as he has a much higher floor, but the ceiling is probably a solid #3 SP. Mzy got some nice sleepers in the back of the draft as well.

MZY: Pitcher heavy draft for Seattle highlighted by Thompson, Page, Miller and Warden.  You would hope at least 2 of them come to market if not more but time will tell with pitching flying off the shelves Seattle looks to have stuck to their draft list and do what they could.  Staggs will be interesting to watch with his speed Jones as well and McIImurry is a wild card in the middle of the draft, then a lot of lotto types in he back end.

Stl  
Grades:

Review:
TT: 
Of course as a self proclaimed speed whore I like Souza, but I think the question is going to be the contact and whether it can get into the 80s. I like him and I think he was the right choice at #3, but there is some risk there whether he’s going to hit at the top or the bottom of a lineup. I thought Iturbe would drop a bit more as he doesn’t have any one skill that stands out other than his eye, but he should be pretty solid all around so he’ll have some value. After those guys I wasn’t big on his other picks, but solid top of the draft for GD.

MZY: Souza could end up a very special talent.  Speed for days and a good looking bat, he might find abetter home at 2B then SS but either way you are looking at a guy to rebuild a franchise around in the MIF.  Iturbe will be a very good bat, not sure he has the bat ability or the defenseive fortitude to remain in the field but at the very worse you have a killer DH.  Castillo and Nauton are interesting guys not a lot of promise there but enough that if a couple jumps go right they are MLB gusy.

Tex
Grades:
TT:

Review:
TT: 

MZY: No picks

Tor
Grades:

Review:
TT: 
Not a fan of Sydenham even in the 2nd round. Franklin and Towns both look like they will be good or great defenders in the infield, but the bats will be the question with them. They’ve both got great splits so even if they don’t get past the low 80’s they could be nice bench pieces.

MZY: For a team with no 1st round picks Toronto did surprisnly well.  Sydenham is a nice looking Sp he will need a little bit of help to unlock the fullest of his potential but there is potential there.  Franland was a great choice and one of my favorite 2B in the draft he should end up a solid MLB starter.  Towns and Messer were very predent choices both are nicely projectable and both could end up as starters in the Majors one day.  All in all a good job.

Wsh
Grades:
MZY: C+

Review:
TT: 
No 1sts for Pete this year, but he got some nice players nonetheless. Kelly should have been picked a round early possibly. He’ll be decent enough in LF, but being a switch hitter, he could be a surprisingly potent bat for a 3rd rounder. I had Vanderbilt on my list, and actually sold this pick to Pete mid-draft so I could go back to bed, so if he turns into something I’ll be feeling extra stupid, but I like the starting build for sure.

MZY: If you are going to stick to your guns, stick to them.  Peter going full Peter took almost all projectable DH and Corner OF type Power/Eye bats, and there isn’t anything wrong with that.  He also ended up with Vanderbilt who could end up a solid SP or as Peter would call him (An Allstart Caliber pitcher like no other)  But he did a good job doing what he does best, taking every bat that might hit a HR and waiting to get enough jumps in them to trade them.  Some of the OF look to have good enough defense to stick in the OF if that is the case at the worse you have some great trade bait for people if not a starter or two for yourself.

updated with my part :)
Houston GM
2060 - present

Playoffs: 20 (Division '68 - '73, '78, '81 -'86, '88, '05-'10)
ALDS Wins: 11 ('68, '70 - '73, '83, '94, '06 - '09)
ALCS Wins: 6 ('71, '73, '83, '06, '08, '09)
2073 WS Champs
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »