No picks.

MZY:  No picks

Atl
Grades:
TT: A-
MZY: A-

Review:
TT: 
Big fan of Majoribanks. A high floor, with a pretty high ceiling. Could start right now for most teams with solid defense in CF, but some seasoning will turn him in to an all-star. Dev is a nice young spec with a control/movement build and good GB%. He’ll age in sim 6, so we will get a better idea of his potential by then.

MZY:  I like the Atlanta draft, there are a lot of questions.  Majoribanks is that build everyone wants to have, the issue is how does he turn out long term.  We have seen a few like him drafted the last few years he should end up like a Bellars or like a Kelley only time will tell but it’s a good gamble to take.  Deypalubus was a solid pick, we have seen the jump on his the big question will be what does the drop look like we wil know soon enough.  Robolledo was a nice pick a bunch of GMs were targeting him he is yound with a solid looking build it was a good pick in that range.  The rest are younger picks with some room to grow, Murray will probably be the best of that bunch.

Bal
Grades:
TT: C+
MZY: B

Review:
TT: 
Mulgrew looks like a back of the rotation arm most likely. The HRs aren’t crazy, but the BB% is high and he’s given up aton of hits, so unless he jumps and has an elite defense assembled behind him, it’s hard to see him having much of a high ceiling.

MZY:  I liked Mulgrew he was on my list.  The best thing on his might be the age but he also projects as a nice movement guy with solid control and power, the small concern with him is does the movement outpace everything else, if it does and he ends up a pure movement build even his young age might not be enough to squeeze it all out of him.

Bos
Grades:
TT: B
MZY: B+

Review:
TT: 
Womack went a bit higher than I expected him to, without the offensive upside of most 1st round catchers, but looks to have average potential at the plate, and a touch better than average defensively. Cardell could have similar potential, and Tressler is interesting in CF, and might surprise with his skillset being pretty close to 5-tool.

MZY:  Fred with a very nice draft.  Womack was far and above the best catcher in the draft and one of the best we have seen in a number of years.  Should have superior defensive numbers and throw out a ton of runners and he has a bat htat should end up with good contact and some power and a solid eye.  Maybe not a allstar Catcher but at the worse you should have a long term option there and that is nothing to be sad about.  Cardell another good catching option was a great pick up catching has been shown to be very important of late so to grab two good options early will help him a lot moving forwards.  I like the youth pick in Tressler has a the chance at a 4th OF or better, Capitianio is a nice pick as well he could end up a starter one day or a good bat off the bench,  Sheenan could surprise as well but might only have the upside of a pen option.

Chc
Grades:
MZY :A-

Review:
TT: 
Jenkins is not my type of guy. I’m not against lefties as alot of other GMs are, but this particular build seems to be boom or bust, because 83/83/88 or something along those lines is not gonna be very good for him. Getting close to 90 across the board would turn him into an ace. My guess is he ends up closer to OAK’s Arnopp from about 8 seasons ago, than Dalzell who is one of the top lefties in the file right now. Cunningham doesn’t look to be as risky, but his upside is probably not more than a decent #3 or #4.

MZY:  A certain Chicago GM was giving a lot of shit for trading down and givnign up on the best SP in the draft to move down 7 slots only to add a 6th SP type.  But when you do that and still end up with potentially the 2nd best SP in the draft you cant be that upset.  Jenkins was given a lot of crap after initially being thought of by some as the #1 overall pick.  He had a 2 point birthday drop, that is really good, people might be hating but I think Jenkins was a HR pick and he could end up an Ace for the Cubs who can then tell people where to go and stick it.  I liked the Cunningham and Pare picks as well both are a bit older for the draft but both look nice Pare should have solid contact and eye and good to very good power and while Cunningham did not have a jump that inspires confidence he looks to be a solid to good SP.  Bolden, Boden and Stacey are all very nice picks that could be the difference makers for this draft class for the Cubs.

Chw
Grades:
MZY: C+

Review:
TT: 
I think Contez has a chance to surprise some folks. The biggest problem, and the reason he dropped seemed to be that he will be destined to be a DH where the bat will need to be very good as a RHH, but I think there’s a decent shot it gets there and it’s a worthwhile pick at #28. McGough is hard to get a gauge on, as a power build that has been lit up in the minors, but the HRs are as bad as you’d think based on his 6+ ERA. Being only 16, he should have plenty of time to turn into a decent SP pitcher, but it’s far from a sure thing.

MZY:  Contez is an interesting guy, he should have some power but not much speed and his eye doesn’t look overly great and the contact will lag a bit.  That seems like a negatives but at 19 he had room to grow and might turn out good enough only time will tell.  McGough is 16 his vitals are all above his overall as are all his pitches, so why did he fall so far.  Well….he doesn’t insprire much confidence with Ammy numbers for those who care are terrible I worry the HR will be an issue and im really worred about the BB/K ratio that is more BB than K.  The fear with him is he will end up all movement and no even close to enough control.  His next pick McArthur we have the same concerns about,  we feel he will end up in the same boat at McGough but with even more of a HR problem.  Megson might end up as a solid DH but who knows.  The rest of the class looks like lotto tickets and not ones that some one would be very happy to scratch off.

Cin
Grades:
TT: B-
MZY: B-

Review:
TT: 
Not a huge fan of Turner. He will probably hit a little better in CIN than most places (as most hitters tend to do). He’ll probably end up ok at most things, but not great at anything in particular. There was more upside at this spot, but he should at least be a decent regular CF.

MZY: Turner wasn’t a bad pick he looks to have solid across the board vitlas nothing that screams eureka I have him, but he looks to be a guy to hit for a good clip steal a surprising amount of bags with good to great defense in the field.  The rest of the picks were lotto tickets and much like Chicago’s Cincy can feel free to scratch them themselves.

Cle
Grades:
TT: A-

Review:
TT: 
I liked Bryant, and was looking at him for my late 1sts. He has that contact over power build that has been pretty good for LHH, and he looks to be able to play CF well enough to start out there. Plus he’ll steal a couple dozen bases. I had my eye on Coyt, and was kicking myself for not grabbing him when I had the chance a few picks earlier, especially seeing the pitching that was left after he went off the board. He has a nice starting build and good GB%, and that’s about all you can ask for in a draft with pitching this thin.

MZY: I dig the Bryant pick, im not sure the bat will end up where Matty wants but you are looking at a younger lefty that will have a great contact and solid speed and eye with minimal power.  He should be able to stick it out in the OF and could slot nicely in the 2 spot where he would get on base a bunch and swipe a few bags.  Coyt was a solid pick while I have some majors concerns in regards to his HR that he will allow he is projectable  and at this point of the draft a projectable pitchers isn’t a wrong choice.  Jones was a good flyer to take late in the draft.

Col
Grades:
TT: A

Review:
TT: 
I liked Cubano, and felt like he was worthwhile of a top 5 picks. He’ll hit dingers and walk plenty, plus he should be able to hit lefties well enough to not have to platoon. Wertheimer was a nice under the radar pick. His HS stats are solid, except for 1 year, he has a nice 40% GB% which is high for a power pitcher like himself, and with a jump I can see him being a really nice #2 for Cadmus. Plus he can bring straight gas with that 75 FB for his 55 OVR rating, for those of you that are into repertoire.

MZY: Loved the 1st Colorado pick, great power eye bat who might end up with solid contact as well, reminds me a lot of some of the bats out of the draft last year, like Brondo, if he develops without any surprises he will absolutely mash in the Mile High Stadium.  Wertheimer was a good pick up as well, 19yr with good control and a bunch of power, the power will progress and the movement will jump ahead it will be interesting to see how he turns out but should be a solid rotation option.

Det
Grades:
TT: N/A

Review:
TT: 
Couple of late lottos, not gonna hurt GB’s feels with a grade.

MZY: It is not GBs fault he has only two 4ths, I mean it is but whatever, the pick of Buzgos isn’t bad his defense should turn out of as a bench option but the lack of eye makes me worry he wont be worth too much as a bat.  Chandler is a guy that will be one of those guys you see in other legues 99 movement and little control or power not the worse lotto to take late but meh. 

Fla
Grades:

Review:
TT: 
Lee looks like a future platoon guy at best, but he will do that pretty well at least. Kunai could have some upside as a 4 corner guy, if the bat can come around, he may be worthy of a roster spot, or at least a platoon guy.

MZY: Lee was a good pick up, the more I look at him im a bit surprised he was still there looks like he will have solid contact and power with a really good eye so he will find his way on base and with solid defense he could end up a starter in the MLB. The rest are lottos and not with the keystrokes.

Hou
Grades:

Review:
TT: 
I feel like I should use this space to defend my picks, but I will give myself a grade to entertain you.

MZY:   Well I found were all the picks went.  Brackenridge was a guy I was targeting at 20 so to see him go at 9 was a bit of a shock but there is a lot to like in him, young doesn’t appear to have a HR or a BB problem should end up pretty good.  Thomas the other SP taken is a nice projectable guy but not sure if he was 1st round worthy.  Barientos was a nice bat to take lefty in the power eye mold, the no defense is too bad but he should be one of the better bats out of the draft.  South is a nice looking 2B with good upside should have a solid bat and good defense.  I liked the picks or Morseby, Thacker and Lerner in the 2nd all look to be solid options and haved starter potential.  After that there were a lot of lottos taken, considering how the draft dropped off late most of those may end up fodder but time will tell.

Kcr
Grades:

Review:
TT: 
KC got some really great talent at the top. Rosser has huge upside, and we know Andy can draft hitters, so I’m guessing this one is gonna be great. Young was a target of mine, and also has some serious upside. At worst he’ll play elite defense in CF and hit .250 at the bottom of a lineup. At best he’ll be a true leadoff guy that will steal 60+ bags. Davis should be a quality catcher. While he won’t have an elite arm, he’ll be average compared to the rest of the league these days, and he should hit better than backup with some power to boot.

MZY: Im not as high on Rosser as Andy is, yes he is a young lefty bat that projects to have good power and eye, but for some reason I don’t think he will be as good as he thinks, I could very well be wrong and there is nothing wrong with picking a very young projectable bat high in the draft, I did so last year with Towe, but like most the drop will tell everything.  Surprise surprise the Andy factor in full effect with picking Young.  He dude looks everybit like Woolland and could end up as good.  I wont gush over the pick as I am to pissed I could pull the trade to move up to nab him myself.  Davis was a good choice in the 2nd as a everyday catching option.  Goff and Fields were great choices as two of the beter RP in the draft, I was shocked to see Fields fell so far.  A lot of 4-6 round picks the draft was pretty picked over by that point so while some should turn out based on law of averages alone we shall see which they are. 

Laa
Grades:
MZY: A

Review:
TT: 
Loved LeBlanc here. His upside is Lilburn. And I know those crazy vitals are rare, but if there is one guy from this draft that could get there, this is the one. The 25% GB% is offputting, but Lilburn had similar issues draft day and grew into a more neutral pitcher. I thought Cohen would go later, but he’ll be a CF in this league. He may not end up a stud with the bat, but he’ll have some value on a roster. Argyll should be solid as well, and a jump may have him looking like a top of the rotation arm.

MZY: Finally a draft Dan might be able to remember family.  LeBlanc is one of if not the best SP in the draft looks like he could have that Ace build, while there is plenty of uncertainty it’s a much better SP pick then others made or Dan himself had made in other drafts.  Cohen wasn’t a guy I had on my boards but I see the desire, young with some nice projectable vitals im still not sold on him but he could be good.  Love the next two picks Streat had a massive birthday drop and that might have scared folks away but I see a lot to like there with great contact good power and eye, might not win any awayrds but [lenty will not be happy they missed on him.  Argyle too young great projectable build great pick up in the 2nd.  Out of the rest I lke McCue a lot I was about to pick him when Dan took him, also liked the late round choice of McCutchen.

Lad
Grades:
TT: B+

Review:
TT: 
I liked what LAD did at the top of the draft. Aguilar could be a pretty nice lefty bat, especially if the power keeps up with the contact as he develops. Balbontin will need a jump to be solid, but he has a nice starting build for a power guy. Bento could be a nice bat as well, although he won’t add much on defense, so he’ll need to surprise with his development to be more than a platoon bat.

MZY:  Aguilar was a solid pick.  However this build always concerns me, when you have a 1B with contact over everything else usually the power and eye suffer, if that is the case you could have an issue.  He could end up like Vasquaz on Seattle which would be a good thing might not hti a ton of HR but gets on base and its for average.  I like the 2 catchers he got laer in the draft while both project as backups catchers are hard to find, Bento is an interesting character as well.  None of the pitchers stand out for me some might end up ok but im not a fan of any them. 

Mil
Grades:
MZY: C

Review:
TT: 
A few late lotto picks so who knows if they were good picks.

MZY: A few lotto tickets nothing more.

Min
Grades:
MZY: B-

Review:
TT: 
Grassi looks interesting if the control gets into the 80s he should be a pretty good power pitcher. There weren’t really any elite RP builds in this draft, but there were several that project to be useful bullpen pieces, and Bugler was one of the solid ones. Johnston is a sleeper, and I can easily see him being a solid RP eventually.

MZY: It took Masc about an hour to start pimping the Grassi train pretty hard, which is going to make some not like him already.  Im not sure if that is a fair shake or not, I did not have him on my list as I think it could end up being a high endurance meh pitcher, he had a nice jump and not sure if HR will be an issue they have gone down but have they done down enough.  If I had to pick a direction he goes id say meh but ive been wrong before.  The better pick was Bulger in the 2nd, love that pick good looking young RP, maybe not a closer when all is said of done but should be a very good pen piece for a number of years. Johsnton was one of the nicer lotto types I saw taken so I like that gambel as well.

Mon
Grades:
MZY: N/A

Review:
TT: 
No picks

MZY: No picks.

Nym
Grades:

Review:
TT: 
I liked Cavieles, although he did go about a half a round earlier than I had him pegged, but that was probably a result of the lack of top end pitching. He’s got the good GB%, and the starting build is nice. It will take a jump, but if he gets it he could be a top of the rotation arm. Martin isn’t going to hit for much average, but he should hit for quite a bit of power and play a solid CF, and that has shown to have value in this league.

MZY:  The Mets are usually good for a head scratcher in the first, they were again this eyar.  Cavieles is a guy who looks like you take a chance on in the late 2nd, to pick him Top 20 mean you have superious confidence on him or you didn’t send in a strong enough list.  He appears to have a HR problem a too many BB problem and a gives up too many hits problem.  I don’t get the pick I just really don’t, there were players of similar build last year that went Top 20 but they have much better numbers then the “Cave” of despair.  Martin isn’t the worst looking guy out there but the random predraft non birthday drop is aways a concern, Andy swears they are normal but the last guy that had one floundered very hard till his +3 WB and even then it might not save him.  The rest of the draft was Meh projectable power eye bats, they might turn out or they might fizzle.

Nyy
Grades:

Review:
TT: 
Couple late lotto picks.

MZY: A few lotto tickets nothing more.

Oak
Grades:

Review:
TT: 
I loved Bagnald. I know there were some Carne comps, but I think the bat looks more like Phillip Warner at his peak than Carne right now. The defense will be elite at 3B, but he won’t be able to play 2B like Carne or Phillips. I don’t know what to make of Revill, my guess is that he won’t amount to much, with his power being 20 points higher than his control and movement at present. I don’t think he’ll be any good, but that build is so weird that I’ll be interested to see what happens. Rogers went 2nd round based purely on speed. He might be worth a bench spot someday, but I can’t see him hitting enough to start.

MZY: I like Bagnold, great power great defense, reminds me of a more talented Tally.  That being said he better be to gamble the #1 pick in the draft on him.  The biggest is knock on his is his Eye if it cannot keep up that could hurt his value and production.  But at the worst you have a middle of the order bopper with great defense, you can do a lot worse.  After the opening Salvo from Doug it was time for the big Revill.  Listen he isn’t most peoples type of SP, im honestly surprised STL didn’t nab him,  if he had not been taken at 25 he was going 26 lot to like huger power pitcher with good movement and should end up with solid control, but if the control lags too far behind there will be a lot of issues on how effective he is.  Oretta was a solid gamble choice early in the 2nd not expecting much out of him but he isn’t that bad.  Rogers went at least 2 rounds two early, gonna have to hit on the river and the turn to get something out of him.  Skeahan was my sleeper SP of the draft and I thought for sure id get him at 86 but alas he went at 68, has the chance to surprise a lot of folks.  The rest are solid lotto types.

Phi
Grades:

Review:
TT: 
Takahama isn’t a terrible pick at #13, there were some other OFs that I liked better in the 1st, but he should be a quality bat that hits for decent average and power and may steal a few bags as well. He won’t be much of a defender, but he should be fine in LF as long as the bat is good enough. I’ll watch Cafreva, as he could be a nice lefty bat with a jump, and that trio of RPs he took in the back half of the draft each has a chance to be useful.

MZY: I don’t hate this Philly draft.  Takahama could be a very very good OF if all goes well Phi can have a 66% Japanese OF in the near future.  Will hit for contact and hti a few HR and steal a few bags as well all in all a good all around player.  Bodie looks eh, I see a very average 2B with slightly sub par defense, Caverera could end up a 4th OF one day but not a lot of meat on that bone.  I liked the two RP Dave went with both cound end up in the pen one day.

Pit
Grades:
MZY: N/A

Review:
TT: 
No picks.

MZY: No picks

Sdp
Grades:

Review:
TT: 
Harter definitely has some power potential from the right side. We’ll see if the contact gets to the point where he’ll be useful against RHP, but if it gets to 75 he’ll be a masher. Maribona, Bustrillos, and Satterfield all look to be useful future pieces.

MZY: I Heart Harter, well, not a lot, but, enough.  Big time bat with a good eye, looks like a Scott Miller if I have every seen one, he will hit HR and get on base question is where the contact lands if it is high enough he mashes, if it isn’t he will be like a women after her period, spotty at best.  Maribona was an interesting pick, not great with the glove but has a huge eye and is a switch hitter with good contact and a touch of power could see everyday play.  Burstrillos is a projectable arm which is nice,  and Satterfield is one of my favorite late round choices could stick it out and become an everyday man one day if things fall right.

Sfg
Grades:

Review:
TT: 
Cary was a reach in my eyes. I have a hard time seeing the hitting vitals getting to the point where he would be anything more than a platoon bat with mediocre defense. I do think that his ceiling would be something like a Trey Whiteside type of bat, which would be a solid everyday player, but nothing spectacular. O’Reilly looks solid, and could be a regular 3B with a little bit of pop.

MZY: Really like what Hick did in the draft this year.  Cary is a great pick, with be a high contact and eye guy with enough power to hit a few more dingers then people will think, should be an on base machine I was surprised O’Reilly fell as far as he did, while he doesn’t have the same look as Bagnonld he is the same mold and could end up a similar player, yes I don’t think as good defensively or as much power but the rest could be similar if not better.  I like the Ryan and Easton gambles both could end up ok to solid pitchers.  Mull was the best SS available which isn’t saying much but he is a solid gamble as well.

Sea
Grades:

Review:
TT: 
 Cloninger has some upside. We’ll see if the control gets to 80 or so, where I could see him being a quality #2 or #3 starter, otherwise he may just give up a bunch of walks and hits. Whiting would have gone way higher if he had more upside. As it looks now, he looks like a good SS/2B defensively that will run like crazy, but the bat will be pretty poor overall. I liked Page and Guillien as later round picks that may be nice players.

MZY: Cloninger probably fell for a reason,  but I don’t think he will have a HR problem and has a very nice K to BB ratio he could blow up and be trash but I see a small stair climb there if that continues they he could end up very good.  Whiting is a guy in the Chris Clements mold, they are almost identical on draft day, will be be Clements good, no probably not but a guy with a great glove solid bat and ability to steal bases will not go amiss.  Page was a guy that folks may end up being mad they didn’t take earlier, he was a guy I almost went with at 26 before deciding on Whitting, was glad to make the move up to get him he could turn out very well.  Guillein was a stretch but when all the targets I had went earlier in the round not much I could do, take the 18 year old speed demon and hope for the best.

Stl
Grades:

Review:
TT: 
Jacoby wasn’t the best OF left on the board at #16, maybe not even top 3 at that point. The bat doesn’t project to be much, and the speed looks good on the surface, but the baserunning vitals indicate he won’t be one to take advantage of that speed in the way of SBs. Davidson will be similar in that way, but should be solid defensively at 2B and if the contact can develop some he may be able to provide some pop in the lineup.

MZY: St Louis had one of the better draft for someone who sat where they were.  Jacoby was a solid pick, I fear the speed is more a McWhirk speed then anyhign else but if Im wrong he could be a monster pick. He will be a solid bat with solid D if the speed translates to the baes paths then very nice.  Liked the Davidson pick another speedy guy with a few question marks, should have good dfense if the bat can hold serve he will be an everyday guy.  Love Barnhill great power eye build, Dore might be a sneaky late round pick that becomes an everyday man. Even the power build pitchers are nice lotto tickets.

Tex
Grades:

Review:
TT: 
Couple of late lottos.

MZY: A pair of lotto tickets nothing more.

Tor
Grades:

Review:
TT: 
Burton might have been a steal in the 2nd round. Lefty bats that project contact and power don’t usually fall that far. He’s a baseclogger, but if the bat turns out as well as it could, nobody will be worrying about that. Ritter looks like a bit of a reach at a 79 ovr, but he’s got alot going for him, so if he jumps once or twice, nobody will remember he was only 79 on draft day.

MZY: It might be me but I don’t like the draft from Toronto.  Burton looks solid but I don’t think he will be anything special.  Some power some contact but not a lot else there I fear.  Ritter is a pick I do like might be the only one in the group I do, I like the build and he is young enough to make a run at the high end of the build.  Honeslty the rest are solid lotto types but I don’t see much to be overly or minorly excited about.

Wsh
Grades:
MZY: A

Review:
TT: 
Peter did extremely well, and made some great deals to make it happen. Riddell was pretty much the best arm in the draft, and Sheeran will likely be the best SS to come out of this draft, or if he stays at 3rd he’ll be quality there as well. Findlay looks nice, and could come on as a solid middle of the rotation option. A sleeper from this draft would be 1B Maslen, if the contact comes around he’ll be a nice bat.

MZY: Riddel might end up the best SP of the draft young RH with high control looks like a great arm Peter needs to send a very nice Muffin basket to Chicago.  Sheeran is a nice pick up as well some wehre suggesting SS not sure how I feel about that but its good if he can do it he has a nice looking bat.  Valencia wa a very good pick as well young switch hitter who fell pretty far in the first so Peter snaps him up.  Findlay and Bragdon are both solid additiosn Findlay with the right jumps could end up very nice.  A lot of mid to late round lotto tickets the one id suggest to watch out of the bunch is Maslen he will move for a 1-3 if Peter has anything to say about it very very soon.
Pit GM
'08- Current: Pirates GM Record
'56-'08: Seattle GM Record 4606-3510 .568 win%
'20-'32: San Francisco GM Record 875-1231 .415 win%
'10-'14: Minnesota GM Record 324-324 .500 win%
World Series Champion 2010, 2089, 2092, 2095
American League Champion 2010, 2062, 2089, 2092, 2093, 2095

Best Record Full Year (Regular Season and Playoffs Combined):  131-45 .744 win%
Winner of first ever FCM World Series
Updated with my part. Enjoy.
Houston GM
2060 - present

Playoffs: 20 (Division '68 - '73, '78, '81 -'86, '88, '05-'10)
ALDS Wins: 11 ('68, '70 - '73, '83, '94, '06 - '09)
ALCS Wins: 6 ('71, '73, '83, '06, '08, '09)
2073 WS Champs
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »