• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trading Picks
Since I came into the league. We have never been able to trade picks until the off season. Actually the FA file i believe. I never asked what the reason was. If it was no one wants to take the risk of trading away a player for a pick that could fall anywhere and not getting true value. Or if it's really just too much of a hassle to keep track of the picks for the next season. (both valid points). My suggestion is that at the trade deadline sim, and only the trade deadline sim, we could trade picks for the up coming season. For the value argument, you have a better idea of where the team you are trading to is going to fall in the up coming draft. I.E. trading to a potential or definite playoff team. You know your pick will fall somewhere in the 20-30 slot range. So you'll have a much better idea of the value you will receive in return for your player. On the hassle of keeping track/record of the picks, you only have to have to keep track for 1 sim. To make it easier, maybe for that sim you open up the trade pick thread and the team  trading has to put the pick being traded into the thread(last part just a suggestion to make it easier on Andy to keep track of picks).

This is just a thought that popped into my head. I thought I'd put it up for debate and see where it goes. And thought it would be just another option for more trading  at the deadline.

OWM
It shouldn't be difficult to keep a pick thread going for a few sims longer than we already do. Of course it's even more of a chance for GMs to try and trade their picks multiple times....I know there have been a few instances of that in the past (not intentionally, at least from what I can tell, but confusion nonetheless). But if you're going to open trading next season's picks at the trade deadline, why not just open it up after the draft file, and before sim 5? The players would be even more valuable, and more teams willing to deal picks for upgrades, since by sim 10 most teams are usually just looking for a stopgap, or just waiting out the regular season with subs to avoid injuries.

TLDR: If you want to open up pick trading for sim 10, why not just start it after the draft?
Houston GM
2060 - present

Playoffs: 20 (Division '68 - '73, '78, '81 -'86, '88, '05-'10)
ALDS Wins: 11 ('68, '70 - '73, '83, '94, '06 - '09)
ALCS Wins: 6 ('71, '73, '83, '06, '08, '09)
2073 WS Champs
I don't want to track picks. It's already obnoxious enough and I don't want to babysit people accidently trading picks they don't actually have. You guys do that semi-regularly even with only one class available to you.

And I hate that a GM might take over a team and deal with some schmo trading away his draft picks a year ahead.
World Champion 2018, 2021, 2026, 2030, 2035, 2037, 2039
AL Champion 12 times
FCM Best Record-Holder - 121-41 2028
Overall Record: 3530-1978 .641%
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »