Poll: I want to expand:
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
59.09%
13 59.09%
No
40.91%
9 40.91%
Total 22 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Official Expansion Proposal
FCM Expansion Official Proposal—

The Whos:

The GMs: Stang would be the first team and the second would come down to a league vote. See this thread for more information on the 2nd GM: http://www.firstclassmogul.com/showthread.php?tid=5049
Kobie and/or Peter will be the replacement GMs.

The Wheres:

The two most popular cities were Las Vegas and Vancouver so we’ll go with those. Only the Seattle market risks being affected by proximity and we will adjust their city if Vancouver has an adverse effect on their market.

The Names, Budgets, etc. will be league vote or discussed further in the ‘The Whats’ section below.

Milwuakee will be moving to the AL Central . Vancouver will be added to the AL West and Las Vegas will be added to the NL West.

The Whens and Whys:

The reasons that we are discussing expansion seem to be based on two main thoughts: The talent pool is too high and has pooled to a degree and because we finally have the GM pool to do so. Because we’re not missing any re-signings, all 30 GMs have established activity and credibility and Sean’s suggestion was generally well received I feel its idea and appropriate to slow this current offseason and strike while the iron’s hot. I’m not saying I think we’ll see a dip in activity, but I think the opposite is true and we run the lowest risk of it as we’ll ever experience.

If we expand we will run the expansion draft next week on Wednesday at 9PM EST (or later if the league approves this proposal but not the date). Fas will not be eligible to sign until Thursday so expansion teams can get their roster and make bids to FAs, the sim to ST would be delayed until Monday 3/14, ST would be Tuesday 3/15 and the first sim of the new season would be Friday 3/18. This would give us 9 days between the expansion draft and the start of 2018 giving all teams over a week to adjust. If the league needs more time we can adjust to that on the fly but unless it becomes a glaring problem I’d like to stick to the schedule outlined above.

As described in further detail below, the work on the GMs part will be minimal, attendance optional and will not put any GM at a disadvantage so long as they submit a one-time list. I understand moving quickly is going to be a concern but I feel every GM will get fair notice. I will send out PMs, make sure GMs are contacted and aware as well as be available to answer and address concerns every day leading up to the draft. I know it’s dicey if we move quickly but I’m confident in our GMs capabilities, I will be available nearly 24/7 to help.

The Hows:

1) The Draft

a. There will be 3 rounds with 14 selections per team in each round.

b .GMs may only lose one player per round and may block an additional 3 players per round.

c. Which team picks first will be determined by randomizer.org

2) Protecting Players

a. Each team will receive a list of players who are NOT automatically protected. Each team will then make a Power Rankings for their unprotected players.

b. The top 15 players are protected

c. After each round the next 3 players that were not selected will become protected

3) The Actual Draft

a. Live in the CB on whichever date works outs

b. Attendance isn’t mandatory, required or even productive since the lists will be mandatory even if you plan on attending. It is, of course, encouraged!

c. I’ll run it live, post available players and teams will select. It’ll run as similarly to an actual draft as possible, it’ll run quickly and shouldn’t take more than 30 minutes to an hour.

The Whats:

1) The Budgets will be a minimum of 80M and a max of 100M to start for each city. Neither market will be a major market and we’ll take a league vote and use weighted metrics to determine the actual budget so each vote will count.

2) The Names will be determined in a two-part process. The Expansion GMs will select 3 names and corresponding logo’s (we have a wealth of logo resources in the Expansion Suggestion thread and a few GMs capable of Photoshopping custom Logo’s if need be). The league will then vote to determine the winner.

3) Automatic protection is determined by two requirements.
a. A player drafted in the previous two seasons.
b. Any player who is 20 years or younger at the time of the expansion draft.

4) Stadium Aspects will be generated by using any available stadium data at the locations (For example the Vancouver stadium for the Olympics then expand to the league’s average number of seats. The stadium quality aspects (Playing Field and Seating sections) will be determined by the expansion GMs. Two in each category can be good, one must be average.

5) Fan Loyalty will begin at B, above average but not secure if they fall on their face.

6) Cash, they’ll start with 5M, they have complete control there’s no reason they should be over budget.

7) Winterball, two free slots per team for the first year only. After that, it’s normal rules.

8) The Schedule was tested by Peter earlier today and it seemed to have no issues. We’ll run test simulations to make sure after expansion and if, for some reason, there’s an issue we’ll find a template at that time. There are plenty available on the sportsmogul forum if it doesn’t work out as anticipated.

9) Approval will require 20 votes for approval with at least 25 votes total.

10) Expansion teams will draft LAST in the 2018 amateur draft.
Houston Astros - 2012/2016/2023/2025 Champs!
Cumulative Record: 1894 - 1184 (.615%)
I voted yes, but with the contingency that I'd prefer we wait until the 2019 season. It's not a deal breaker, simply a preference.

Sorry if this shouldn't be here, but I felt like the top part indicated we should post if this concerns us.
(03-06-2011, 12:27 AM)AndyP Wrote: I voted yes, but with the contingency that I'd prefer we wait until the 2019 season. It's not a deal breaker, simply a preference.

Sorry if this shouldn't be here, but I felt like the top part indicated we should post if this concerns us.

I agree with this. I'm not comfortable doing this right away
:min2: GM
Expanding now is part of your vote, just so GMs are aware.
Houston Astros - 2012/2016/2023/2025 Champs!
Cumulative Record: 1894 - 1184 (.615%)
I changed mine to no
:min2: GM
Can we add an option to the poll to indicate "yes...but"? It's part of your lead-in to say that we can approve the proposal but not the date.

Otherwise, mine needs to be changed to no, but I don't think that accurately represents my feelings.
Voted no. Im ok with expansion but not until next season. Ive stated my reasons.
add a don't care option, because that's what i think.
Quote:1) The Draft

a. There will be 3 rounds with 14 selections per team in each round.

b .GMs may only lose one player per round and may block an additional 3 players per round.

This means all by 2 teams will lose a player in each round (phase). I don't think that allows for enough choices for the expansion teams. I think teams should be able to lose 2 players per round, but no more than 4 total players throughout the entire draft.
Cle

Cleveland Record5304-4625 (.534) [2054-2071, 2083-2104, 2110-2131]
AL Post: 15 (ALC), 11 (WC) - ALDS Win: 11 - ALCS Champ: 6 - WS Champ: 3

ALW: Mariners + Angels Record: 1072-864 (.554) [2042-2048, 2105-2110]
AL Post: 3 (ALW), 4 (WC) - ALDS Win: 3 - ALCS Champ: 1 - WS Champ: 1

NLW: Rockies + Padres Record: 3230-2753 (.540) [2017-2042, 2072-2082]
NL Post: 18 (NLW), 4 (WC) - NLDS Win: 7 - NLCS Champ: 4 - WS Champ: 0
(03-06-2011, 12:35 AM)danpac47 Wrote: add a don't care option, because that's what i think.

I agree with the Pac attack here, I'll support whatever the staff does. Honestly I'm just glad its you and not me :D
Project: Rebuild a team that has nothing.

2015: 56-106
2016: 74-88
2017: 73-89
2018: 66-96
------------------------
Total: 269-379

Project #2, bring a title back to LA.

2019: 94-68 NL West Champions
2020:
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »