• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Discord is in, XAT is out
I'm sure Andy will post to confirm but FCM has "ripped the band-aid off" and gotten rid of XAT in favor of switching to Discord.

For those that haven't heard yet, pretty much every league in the mogul community are making the switch from XAT to Discord. Discord is a newer, more sleek, and improved style of chat room that's popular amongst the gaming community. Discord can be a bit overwhelming at first but I can assure you that with time, you will get used to it and learn to love it. The way Discord works is users are provided with an invite link in order to join a specific server. You have the choice to either sign in as a guest or register your own username. When you click the invite link it will open up a new tab. You can either click the connect button in the discord widget or use the permanent link provided directly under the discord widget on the main page. Once you're in you'll be assigned 'roles' which basically means you'll be added to the group for each league you're in. I'm in GBA, NAM, and now FCM so those are my roles. By having roles for each GM in the discord, league commissioners and GMs are able to tag the entire league by typing @fcm in their message. This comes in handy when the league needs to be alerted about upcoming events such as the draft, re-signings being due, or anything else a league commissioner or GM deems to be important.

The way we set up the Mogul Community discord server there's a category for each league with two channels. One is for posting trade related discussion (#fcm-trades) and the main channel (#fcm) is for all other league related discussion. There's also a place for all GMs in every league to get together and chat, that's the default channel and the first channel you'll see when you sign in, it's called #community-discussion. In addition to the individual league and Mogul Community categories, we have an 'Other Chats' category which provides folks with a place to go and talk about Baseball, Basketball, Football, Hockey, MMA, Wrasslin', & Tacos. Yes, tacos. We also have a trivia channel with a bot that asks you all sorts questions as well as a music channel where you can add songs to a queue and listen to music with other mogulers. Those two things are just fun little features that give folks more ways to interact and keep them entertained while they're on the server.

One of the biggest perks of discord are the easy to use voice channels. We have a Podcasts voice channel and a bot everyone can use to easily record live podcasts. We also have a #podcast-talk channel for those who want to chat about all things podcast related plus we have a #podcast-files channel which is specifically for posting links to previously completed podcasts.

------------------------------------------
Other Discord Perks & Advantages
------------------------------------------
Discord works without flash, enabling all users to use it.

Discord works well on all browsers unlike XAT that has major problems with Chrome and sometimes Firefox browsers.

With Discord you can post GIFs, videos, and images then they pop right up in the chat. Giphy.com is a great place to search for GIFs.

You can easily download the DiscordApp on your phone for free and interact with the mogul community while you're at work or on the go. This is huge.

Like XAT, you don't have to sign up for a screen name, you can just type in your name and it'll log you right in every time.

You can tag folks by typing @username with Discord. Also, as previously mentioned, I have it set up where I've added folks to groups for each league so you can tag only FCM folks by typing @fcm.

With all mogul leagues making the switch to Discord, it will bring together the mogul community into one chat server which could potentially be more attractive to a newer, younger generation of GMs that didn't try mogul before because of the lack of a community feel or the old school, less appealing looking XAT chat.

GMs who are in multiple leagues don't need to have multiple pages open in order to communicate.

You can PC someone who's not online and they'll get it when they come on.

Your PC's, as well as all messages on every channel are kept forever.

It will be easier to recruit when a league has an opening because all of the community will be on the same server. A league owner can just post in the #community-discussion channel that they have an opening and everyone will see it. They can also pin the message so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle.

We have emojis for each MLB team.

Important messages can be pinned at the top of each channel. See here; https://prnt.sc/jtgmft
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

So there you have it folks. There's so many things I left out or forgot about but truthfully, the possibilities are endless. I whole heartedly believe that this switch is going to be a mass improvement to the mogul community as a whole. Once folks get used to this and accept it for what it is, XAT will be an afterthought much like AIM. Some of you may have resentment towards it at first but I'm pleading with you to put your feelings aside and give it a good ole college try. Also, for the folks that are already convinced, please don't give the non-believers a hard time because it will only cause more resentment towards Discord.

I want to take a moment to thank Andy for letting me make my pitch to all the GMs in FCM over this past week. All of you have been good sports about it and I appreciate that.

--------------------------------------------------------
Discord User Settings Suggestions & The Such
--------------------------------------------------------
*Go to User Settings > Appearance > & select Compact
*To mute channels you don't want notifications from just right click on the category or channel and select the mute button
*Go to User Settings > Notifications > & turn off Desktop Notifications because they're annoying
*More to come!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, if anybody has any questions, I'd prefer for you to jump on Discord and ask them but if you can't, go ahead and ask here.

Here's the permanent Discord link: https://discord.io/mogul
Yeah, we're just going with Discord. It has too much flexibility and versatility.
World Champion 2018, 2021, 2026, 2030, 2035, 2037, 2039
AL Champion 12 times
FCM Best Record-Holder - 121-41 2028
Overall Record: 3530-1978 .641%
Just bumping so people see it.
no bueno... this should have been a league vote

With respect, Stanger FCM is an Empire and XAT would have lost a league wide referendum. Badly.
I had a rant about the appearance of the forums, but if you clear your cache and refresh it looks the way it's supposed to again.
COL GM: 2043 - present

2063 World Champions
2061 NL Champions
We found out that if you clear your cache and refresh the forums, they look fine.
Twins GM (2070 - 2103)
7 WC, 11 ALDS, 9 ALCS, and 1 WS Appearances (2073, 2081, 2082, 2083, 2084, 2085, 2087, 2095, 2096, 2097, 2098, 2099)
5x AL Central Division Champion (2082, 2083, 2095, 2098, 2099)
1x AL Champion (2099)
1x FCM World Series Champion (2099)

Yankees GM (2110 - 2121)
6 ALDS, 5 ALCS, and 3 WS Appearances (2110, 2111, 2112, 2113, 2114, 2116)
5x AL East Division Champion (2110, 2111, 2112, 2113, 2116)
3x AL Champion (2110, 2111, 2113)
3x FCM World Series Champion (2110, 2111, 2113)

Nationals GM (2123 - Present)
1 WC Appearance (2129)
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »