• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please Read
The admins have asked that I lay this out to you for an open discussion, so we as a whole can get our fingerprints on this idea. Please, approach it with an open mind.

Part 1 - The why?

A few of the admins have been approached with a concern that some owners are feeling like no matter what they do, they just cannot win. The fear here, is that owners will get discouraged and go elsewhere, lose interest or just stop playing all together.

Part 2 - The What

The first person that mentioned something was something that we will not do. The first train of thought from an individual was to break some teams up somehow and in all honesty, that would not be fair.

Another thought came into play (this is the thought being offered for conversation) of maybe doing a realignment every season or couple seasons. Spread teams out based off of their standings. This will not make a situation like what we have right now where you have log jams in some divisions and cake walks in others. We would basically get rid of the standard divisions, if you think about it, we really don't have to travel, we can put any team where we want.

Part 3 - The How

We would take the teams how they finish and spread them out in something like this (the # consists of where they finished in strength in the NL)....

NL
Div A
Div B
Div C

This would not log jam divisions and give teams a better chance at competition in their division and wild card. We can re-evaluate this whenever and how often we want to do so.

This is a working concept and idea, so please offer suggestions on how you think it could be bettered or other solutions to the problem that we have been approached with. This is a game after all, lets see what we can do to make it better for everyone.

Sean
Cubs GM 2010-2021
2017 & 2019 World Champions
LAA GM 2022-2035
2028, 2029, 2032 and 2034 World Champions
I like the idea, my only problem is I don't think it would be all that cool to have realigning divisions every couple of season. It could work and might be fun, but someone is going to have to lay this out way more in depth for me to tell whether this would be strong enough to work.
I'm against re-alignment. I think too many people are impatient with rebuilds and expect instant results. I like keeping the divisions as they really are. In time if you rebuild correctly things will cycle itself out.
Cle

Cleveland Record5304-4625 (.534) [2054-2071, 2083-2104, 2110-2131]
AL Post: 15 (ALC), 11 (WC) - ALDS Win: 11 - ALCS Champ: 6 - WS Champ: 3

ALW: Mariners + Angels Record: 1072-864 (.554) [2042-2048, 2105-2110]
AL Post: 3 (ALW), 4 (WC) - ALDS Win: 3 - ALCS Champ: 1 - WS Champ: 1

NLW: Rockies + Padres Record: 3230-2753 (.540) [2017-2042, 2072-2082]
NL Post: 18 (NLW), 4 (WC) - NLDS Win: 7 - NLCS Champ: 4 - WS Champ: 0
(02-26-2011, 06:35 PM)mattynokes Wrote: I'm against re-alignment. I think too many people are impatient with rebuilds and expect instant results. I like keeping the divisions as they really are. In time if you rebuild correctly things will cycle itself out.

Tell that to the Pirates, Reds, Cards, Twins and more......
I've gone back and forth on this in the past few days. But heres where Im at now... EVERYTHING that we have been doing, realism is the #1 goal. We are contradicting ourselves.
:min2: GM
I for one am completely against it. I joined the league because it is one of the closest to real life baseball leagues there is. The rules and everything are designed more towards realism. In my opinion realignment is a giant contradiction of everything the league has done up to this point.

I think a better option would be to have some of the better GMs kind of mentor/help the struggling teams or just whoever wants it. Obviously some of the GMs around here have been more successful that others, maybe kind of a big brother helping out type thing would be better than realignment.
I agree with Matty and I'm absolutely against restructuring, I didn't invest all this time to rebuild my team just to take a cop out and restructure the league. Give us some time to rebuild our team and have some faith in us as a GM. If you think a GM isn't committed enough to winning then fire them.

And Mstrpr I understand that you were able to turn the team around in one season, but every team is different. You had some prospects already and had bargaining chips to help your team become a contender while some of us must start from nothing.
(02-26-2011, 05:55 PM)GoIrish Wrote: A few of the admins have been approached with a concern that some owners are feeling like no matter what they do, they just cannot win. The fear here, is that owners will get discouraged and go elsewhere, lose interest or just stop playing all together.

this is FIRST CLASS MOGUL. If you feel you cannot win, you don't belong here and should leave anyway.

Or another option could be, leaving your current team because of "inactivity" and getting another team when it opens.
Prime example: Mstrpr who could not handle the AL east, giving up his Orioles for the Phillies.
We could cycle the GMs around. Like give HB Houston, terry can be cincy, bring back ice to be the cubs. It would change things up.

Actually, this joke is based off of a conversation I had with Dejota, about having him leave the Astros and take a team in the AL west, and then having like an audition for a new GM of the Astros. That would change things up and would give DJ a new challenge. It would also place an admin in the AL.

[Image: PittsburghPirates.jpg] GM  2010-2017:  572-724  .441 W%
        Best Year: 2015: 86-76 (3rd NL Cent)
Yankees GM: 2019-2022ish
(02-26-2011, 06:35 PM)mattynokes Wrote: I'm against re-alignment. I think too many people are impatient with rebuilds and expect instant results. I like keeping the divisions as they really are. In time if you rebuild correctly things will cycle itself out.

Could not agree more, rebuilding if done correctly takes TIME. Look at this Dodgers team for example, with this HUGE budget how many people in mogul land would have actually taken the current patch and do thing right?

Maybe those teams Mstrpr mentioned do not realize the importance of proper minors management?

But rebuilding is a science. If done properly a team should be able to go from a 90-100 loss season to a 100-90 win season in back to back seasons.
Project: Rebuild a team that has nothing.

2015: 56-106
2016: 74-88
2017: 73-89
2018: 66-96
------------------------
Total: 269-379

Project #2, bring a title back to LA.

2019: 94-68 NL West Champions
2020:
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »