• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2072 Nokes Draft Grades
Let's see how far we get this year...

01. ATL2 SP Raphael Villenas
I think this pick took a lot of people off guard. He projects pretty well and should have very good control. What I really question (and more so than the double-digit high home runs) is that he's already jumped. That's not a reason to not like him, but I think there's a pitcher that hasn't jumped that could look better after he does jump this season. Judging by his true upside and how he progressed, I think it's very possible that he peaks out before 25 and that could limit his potential.

Grade: [Image: 4-Stars.png]
Future Skills: 88 Con, 76 Pow, 88 Mov
Scouting File Rank: 11
Scouting File Score: 88.11

02. :phi2: 2B/3B Zach Whittier
Some people are very high on him, but from what I've noticed, the people who have actually won something in the league weren't so on board with this. He's certainly valuable, but he reminds me of Jose Haces where it's tough to get your return on value if you trade him. Then if you don't trade him, you're looking at a Greg Riggle (and that's with a positive WB roll). Again, that's not a bad player, but he's not exactly lighting the world on fire and as for Whittier, he doesn't look like he can play SS. It's a fine middle of the first selection, but this high and there's limited value.

Grade: [Image: 3-Stars.png]
Future Skills: 94 Con, 75 Pow, 75 Eye
Scouting File Rank: 19
Scouting File Score: 87.31

03. :sdp2: RF Alberto Recendez
It's crazy that he wasn't taken with either prior selection. His build has a lot of critics. We've seen it succeed (Norberto Fregozo) and we've seen it fail (Bobby Chervony). He's so close to major league ready (and still very young) that any team could use him as he has the chance to be a middle of the order threat for many years to come (and if a rebuild takes you more than 7 years you're doing it wrong).

Grade: [Image: 5-Stars.png]
Future Skills: 90 Con, 97 Pow, 93 Eye
Scouting File Rank: 1
Scouting File Score: 95.67

04. :laa2: DH Geoff Kruse
He projects reasonably well, but he will have to DH and likely won't have great power, so I think his potential OPS will be limited unless his contact hits in the high 90's. He simply has the makeup of a guy who'll be a quality DH, but not the upper echelon that use a very early first to develop.

Future Skills: 93 Con, 86 Pow, 88 Eye
Scouting File Rank: 6
Scouting File Score: 89.71

05. :mil2: 1B Mike Engelbrecht
With MIL taking Juan Santana last year, I'm a bit surprised by this selection. But I think it's the right pick. People sometimes get the idea that they "Already have a 1B." There's no guarantee that Santana develops as you think. If he does (and Engelbrecht develops) then you have two big bats to play at either 1B or DH or trade one of them to fill a need. Engelbrecht will have amazing power and should stand to walk a lot. This was the guy that I thought I'd be look at with pick #3.

Future Skills: 78 Con, 93 Pow, 91 Eye
Scouting File Rank: 4
Scouting File Score: 90.71

06. :sfg2: SP Sal Dalzell
It was tough to pass him up at pick #3. I think he's the best pitching prospect in the draft and if Stocky wasn't going after him, then he'd likely be the guy I take. Tracking back around 10 seasons or so, I couldn't find a pitcher with the same exact build, so it was tough to justify him over Recendez. What Dalzell brings to the table is very good control, solid power, and what should eventually be good movement. Being that he hasn't jumped yet, I think he could look a good margin better than Villenas after the season. Dalzell has true Ace potential.

Future Skills: 92 Con, 79 Pow, 95 Mov
Scouting File Rank: 2
Scouting File Score: 94.71

07. ATL2 DH Tom Smith
Even though he'll never play the field, he's got a load of power potential and will be a big on-base presence as well. If you're going DH early, this is the type you should go after - one that will probably put up some nice OPS totals.

Future Skills: 80 Con, 98 Pow, 92 Eye
Scouting File Rank: 9
Scouting File Score: 88.79

08. :det2: 3B Nat Goolsby
He should wind up a good starter, but I question if he'll add enough offense to make him a real desired player to have. He's only 16, so there's certainly time for his bat to develop, but his contact and power don't look too enticing and players with an eye well above the rest of the offensive vitals tend to struggle to produce much at the plate. However, his defense is great and there's enough offensively to believe he can be league average in the batter's box.

Future Skills: 86 Con, 81 Pow, 90 Eye
Scouting File Rank: 3
Scouting File Score: 92.49

09. :col2: SP Ephraim Borras
His control makes him look tempting, but I'm skeptical of his HR totals (and Coors won't do him any favors). Really, that's all I think that will do him in. He'll have very good control with a competent K/9 and while his movement will look solid, it'll likely trail control and with his amateur HR numbers, he looks like he could be in line for allowing 30+ HRs per season.

Future Skills: 92 Con, 78 Pow, 89 Movement
Scouting File Rank: 12
Scouting File Score: 88.01

10. :fla2: C Joe Spurrett
I think he'll wind up a pretty solid catcher. He's got a solid arm and some pretty nice pop in the bat. With how Mogul weights the base vital ratings, I wouldn't worry about his handling --since it factors 1B, which has no value, along with the actual C handling. Being a lefty is a great thing for a catcher as there's a natural platoon to give him some rest.

Future Skills: 87 Con, 87 Pow, 78 Eye
Scouting File Rank: 5
Scouting File Score: 90.44
Cle

Cleveland Record5304-4625 (.534) [2054-2071, 2083-2104, 2110-2131]
AL Post: 15 (ALC), 11 (WC) - ALDS Win: 11 - ALCS Champ: 6 - WS Champ: 3

ALW: Mariners + Angels Record: 1072-864 (.554) [2042-2048, 2105-2110]
AL Post: 3 (ALW), 4 (WC) - ALDS Win: 3 - ALCS Champ: 1 - WS Champ: 1

NLW: Rockies + Padres Record: 3230-2753 (.540) [2017-2042, 2072-2082]
NL Post: 18 (NLW), 4 (WC) - NLDS Win: 7 - NLCS Champ: 4 - WS Champ: 0
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »