• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2067 Sim 3
Sim 3

The Best Juan - :was: - Record: 28-12 --- A number two ranking wasn't enough for the Nationals. They went ahead and took the NL East lead from Atlanta, but even more impressive, they swept Detroit AND Cincinnati in the process! Allowing the fewest runs per game, Washington's pitching has enjoyed success despite the shortcomings of Brumback, Nearns and Verdogo. The offense has followed suit, taking advantage of their comfort zone at home and zipping to a 16-5 record at the new state of the art Eisenhower Valley Field. Stay consistent, stay healthy, stay focused. That's all they need to do. -- Previous Rank: 2 -- L10: 9-1

#2 - Cin - Record: 24-17 --- Make no mistake, the Reds got knocked off the top spot due to incredible play by the Nats. A line up that boasts a league leading .847 OPS and 3 of the top 5 homer hitters in all of FCM has continued it's raking of the baseball. That's not the issue. I'm wondering how long will it take for this pitching staff which has been rightfully revered for the past 2 seasons to get on the right track? Kendrowski has been on and off, Pinnick is looking god awful, Bolata has allowed 66 hits in 51.2 innings and the bullpen is more of a pigpen full of chickens with their heads cut off. How much more time does this team get before we start raising red flags? -- Previous Rank: 1 -- L10: 5-5

#3 - Sfg - Record: 29-11 --- Luck ran out for a bit as they went 7-6 in sim 3, losing three of those games by one run. The hitting scored 65 runs in the last 13 games, and none of the starters have an ERA over Twistleton's 3.68 posting. As for most teams, their bullpen has been the prime suspect to any of their struggles. If things don't get better, DLee will have to make some creative moves to improve in that department without giving up too much of their bright future. Should he not be willing to make those moves, the Giants might have a tough go of it during the Dog Days of August. Lucky for San Francisco most teams underachieved last sim, so they can enjoy a second week in the top 5. -- Previous Rank: 4 --L10: 6-4

#4 - Det - Record: 24-15 --- Biggest underachievers goes to Detroit. A team that has pitched the way they have and hit the way they have shouldn't be anywhere but first place. Losing Summerlin didn't help, but there is no clear evidence as to why the Tigers haven't won more games, and to make matters worse they find themselves trailing the Cleveland Indians by half a game. The real question for this team isn't if they will bounce back to the top of the Central, but rather will this team be as dominant as it has been in recent memory even as they continue to stand among the leaders of the AL? -- Previous Rank: 5 -- L10: 4-6

#5 - Cle - Record: 25-15 --- Is Cleveland rocking or what?! Going 11-2 last sim, the Indians have been lights out on the mound. Permenter has yet to allow a run in his rookie campaign, and Smith isn't even making it easy for Marc to get his dream job closing gig with the numbers he is outputting. Eric Gimard brought a jolt of energy into an offense that needed it, hitting .324/.439/.1.086 and 14 RBI's in his last 10. If the bats can continue to get better, Cleveland's pitching is going to make this AL Central race a very intriguing one. Not bad for a team that was shopping it's core line up piece and a mid rotation starter just two sims ago. -- Previous Rank: 14 -- L10: 8-2

#6 - Atl - Record: 27-13 --- The Braves have been getting some well needed production out of the Regino, Zimiz and Wright. Opponents are hitting .230 against them as they've generated a 2.73 ERA in 200 IP. There is a bit of a home runs allowed issue as those three have combined for 20 HRs in that same time frame, but it hasn't factored into costing them many games. Stang made a great low risk/high reward deal with the Padres that sent 2 solid but not great prospects and a fringe spec in exchange for long time ace Brett Wright, who regained form last sim after some tough outings. Holding the Phillies to one run and shutting out the Royals before allowing 5 runs after being left on the mound way too long in Pittsburgh, Wright's role with this team will be way more vital going down the stretch than that of Zimiz or even Regino. Offensively they are enjoying success. Wetmore and Winright are provided some much needed power to the three-headed speed demon this line up carries on it's head. I do have to mention that the Braves have had a bit of luck on their side, going undefeated in extra innings and 10-2 in one run games. Their bullpen has played above expectations in certain areas, but they haven't been that good. Still...should Stang make some more well timed low risk deals, I think Atlanta will play well enough to move into the top 5 rankings. -- Previous Rank: 6 -- L10: 7-3

#7 - Hou - Record: 25-15 --- Houston's line up is struggling outside of Robinson, Yepiz and Leoniedas. There isn't much faith that Arnold, Augilar and Tryon will produce much better than what they are manufacturing now, so if Houston expects to tame Oakland and the rest of the division they need two of three things to happen: 1. The pitching staff needs to pitch even better than they have been during this great start. 2. Robinson and Leoniedas continue to play at an MVP level for the rest of the season (keep dreaming TT), AND Riggle's numbers explode into above average territory. 3. The AL West begins it's mid-season fade early, with the rest of the division falling behind .500 by June to mid July. Word on the street is the Astros have some cards up their sleeve, however. Expect a big move for a big time pitcher or bat in the near future. -- Previous Rank: 8 -- L10: 5-5

#8 - Nyy - Record: 26-14 --- The 8th best offense in FCM has somehow found a way to elevate a horrible display of pitching from their bullpen. Having the 2nd worst ERA of any ranked team (4.46, trailing only the defending champion Reds at 4.65), how in god's name has this team won 11 one run games and 5 extra inning games? Besides Sinnott and Porch, this team needs to find the answer quick before Boston figures themselves out. Making matters worse are above average performances from Malina and Anderson, paving the way for a potential pitching staff collapse if they can't keep up that kind of play. A bit of good news: the bats of Dolan, Hagen,and Brown STILL haven't come alive. When they do, expect the Bronx bombing to begin. It all depends on the pitching. It always does. -- Previous Rank: 7 -- L10: 6-4

#9 - Bos - Record: 23-15 --- Maybe I was wrong about Detroit being the biggest underachievers. What's up with Boston? They've been hitting the ball just fine, scoring over 5 runs a game. The staff, besides some bad pitching nights from Crowell and the back end of the pen, has been consistent and effective. A big factor for the Red Sox' problems might be that 13 of their 15 losses have been decided by two runs or less. I just don't see this team continuing to lose. It's unimaginable. -- Previous Rank: 3 -- L10: 5-5

#10 - Oak - Record: 24-17 --- Oakland is lucky Houston is young and lacks experience. I don't think they would be anywhere near first if Houston were playing on the level they know they can, but you cannot deny that bullpen has shut door when needed most. They've won 10 of the 15 one run games they've played in, going 8-6 last sim while taking 2 of 3 from both the Astros and Tigers respectively. Paul Litvak has been the heart of their offensive attack, leading the team in OPS, HRs and runs batted in. If others can figure it out around him, that offense isn't too bad. Let's also not forget the work being put in by Jackie Robinson Award candidate Tyler Eamigh, leading the team in ERA and wins is no small feet just 2 months on the job. Is Oakland for real, or are they just sticking around for the time being? -- Previous Rank: 11 -- L10: 6-4

#11 - Nym - Record: 20-21 --- What a rough way to start May. A ranked team splitting a series with Philadelphia is BAD. They played the Indians, Dodgers and Giants last sim, so it shouldn't be much of a shock that they came up short in most of those series. We've already touched upon their bad luck, which hasn't gotten any better after losing four more games by two runs or less. The pitching continued to play well, but their bats were held to one run three times in the last 7 days. If the Mets are to have any hope this season, Martinez, Jones and Whitelaw cannot continue going cold when needed against tough pitchers. -- Previous Rank: 9 -- L10: 3-7

#12 - TBR - Record: 26-15 --- Well I'm still here. I've gotten killed in close games, so I can only hope it has more to do with luck than with my bullpen. Rudy Tucker woke up, but Jeremy Huey took a drop which pisses me the hell off. I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop, and I bet it happens next sim. -- Previous Rank: 13 -- L10: 8-2

#13 - Chc - Record: 21-19 --- The pitching hasn't been great, but it hasn't been horrible. Ricky Toth and Solorzano are the only guys that have given reason for designated assignment, and Mavrek pulled off a deal to score Seattle's Tom Little for pick 9 and pick 78 along with a young potential platoon player. Most agree that this was a bit too much to give for a guy with career numbers that aren't too attractive. I will suggest cutting Little some slack being that most of his playing time came with the lowly Phillies organization, and his time in Seattle is where his value is properly displayed. If Little can provide the same type of pitching he has shown in Seattle, the Cubs should be fine on the mound every night. That line up's 6-9 still hasn't shown up for work, I mean well established contact hitter Ryan Travis is hitting .212 for Christ's sake! A hitting line of .201/.285/.674 for the back end of the offense has me scared for the Cubbies, who will face the Mets, Braves, Reds and then Indians this next sim. If they make it out above .500, they will do so covered in their own blood. -- Previous Rank: 10 -- L10: 6-4

#14 - Lad - Record: 21-20 --- It's frustrating when the starters you need to take two steps forward do so, just for 2 other starters to take two steps back. Marquez and Collins got back on track last sim, Collins allowing just 2 ER in his last 3 starts and Marquez attributing to two wins versus Colorado and Florida. White and Seagarra have totally lost touch, combining for 3 losses and a whopping 7.83 ERA since the start of May. Contreras and McCluskey continue to lead an offense that has score 5.45 runs a game.....oh man must that line up be getting frustrated showing up for games that pitchers have single-handedly lost for them. Now saying single-handedly might be a little much, as Los Angeles has proven it is completely incapable of playing good defense and we all know how important defense is here in FCM. Want to know what the worst part is? Pythagorean indicates that the Dodgers are OVERACHIEVING! Los Angeles needs that pitching to completely wake up or I'm not sure they will last as a ranked team for too much longer. The best news that could come out of all this is they are about to take a road trip to Philly and then Arizona before a homestand against the Rockies. That's an ERA of 5.56 their offense can feed on for three series, so if the pitching can just be moderately good the Dodgers should come out with at the very least 6 to 7 wins out of those 9 games. -- Previous Rank: 12 -- L10: 4-6

#15 - Kcr - Record: 22-18 --- Despite outstanding play from Marin, Tinsdale, Sousa, Kasper and Thompson, the rest of the pitchers have found a way to bring the entire staff so far down they own a 4.00+ ERA. They have a semi-tough and semi-easy schedule next sim so that's nice. KC has gotten enough hitting to keep themselves afloat, but if the arms don't start turning around quick this team could fall into a black hole behind the red-hot Indians and the always consistently excellent Tigers. -- Previous Rank: 15 -- L10: 7-3
Rankings Finished
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »