• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FCM Admin Web Tool
I've spoken to a few people about this idea already but I want to expand it to the group and start bring in additional ideas, etc.

Essentially I have been extracting the data out of the client and parsing the files via code, no manual process here - all of the data has been going into a database in the cloud.

My goal is to provide an admin tool that each and everyone of us can use to view data that either a) already is in the client but we'd like to see it on a web page at any time with a better user experience, or b) isn't in the client, but we can use existing data to creatively show (example would be trends from team vs team, gm vs gm, ect).

My motivation for doing this? I lead an engineering and design team in my day job - so I don't get to do as much coding as I used to. So this is just a little fun thing for me to do. I also want to provide an experience for our GM's that separates this league from others - FCM is the best!

I'd like your ideas, so would like to use this forum for now to collaborate. If I get enough interest in others helping we may move to a google doc and even a collaboration design tool that I know.

To get sense for what I'm talking about I created a simple mock to start the conversation - its not visually appealing right now, nor does it have all of the ideas included - so go easy on the visual please :)

Lets start thinking of new and interesting ways to view the data. Also if anyone would like to create a logo that would rock - I can do it but would prefer if others take a shot - the MLB logo won't be what we use :)

In the mean time I will be creating this page, getting hosting and launching it. Please provide input, would love to make changes for the better.

One of the first tasks for you guys is to define the following.

- How to objectively determine who the best manager in the league at drafting talent. I have some ideas as to how to quantify this, but i'd like to hear your thoughts as well.

I'd say you could total the statistics of their draftees over time to see how they contribute, that'd be one way.
World Champion 2018, 2021, 2026, 2030, 2035, 2037, 2039
AL Champion 12 times
FCM Best Record-Holder - 121-41 2028
Overall Record: 3530-1978 .641%
(08-26-2016, 10:52 PM)AndyP Wrote: I'd say you could total the statistics of their draftees over time to see how they contribute, that'd be one way.

Yes I like that - production over time. Wonder how pitchers vs. hitters production is different... hmm.

Yeah stats > overall.

Gilly, this is awesome -- I used to fool around with PS and now I use GIMP and if you give me some time, I can try to provide a FCM logo.
[Image: MIL-CHAMPS.jpg]
MIL GM: 2060 - 2093 , 2104 - 2106
PIT GM: 2094 - 2103
BAL GM: 2107 - present

5x World Series Championships (2077, 2088, 2090, 2104, 2105)

(08-26-2016, 10:56 PM)gillyd Wrote:
(08-26-2016, 10:52 PM)AndyP Wrote: I'd say you could total the statistics of their draftees over time to see how they contribute, that'd be one way.

Yes I like that - production over time. Wonder how pitchers vs. hitters production is different... hmm.

Love the idea for the web tool. This would really take the league to another level.

As far as evaluating the best drafters, one way could be to just count the number of All-star appearances, MVPs, and CYs of players that were drafted by each GM, maybe weighting MVPS and CYs a bit more than AS games. Not sure if the this info is easily accessable within the game though. Otherwise, in MLB I've seen many times where draft classes are evaluated by WAR. I'm not sure how Mogul calculates it, but it could work good enough for this purpose. So just summing the WAR accumulated by each player then maybe turning it into an average WAR per draftee vs a total sum, or avg WAR per draft for each GM could make for an interesting way to show the data.
Houston GM
2060 - present

Playoffs: 20 (Division '68 - '73, '78, '81 -'86, '88, '05-'10)
ALDS Wins: 11 ('68, '70 - '73, '83, '94, '06 - '09)
ALCS Wins: 6 ('71, '73, '83, '06, '08, '09)
2073 WS Champs
Would also need to take into account how many players a person drafts. Some teams have 20 picks in a draft. This thing sounds like a sweet idea though. Can't wait until you launch it.
Great ideas guys!

JD, would love to see what you can come up with as a logo, go for it!

Hosting is taken care of, subdomain off of this site - gm.firstclassmogul.com is where it will be. Just a test file showing right now.

OK guys I am still running my code in debug mode, its not optimized at this point so just be patient.

gm.firstclassmogul.com

Next items on my priority list.

- power rankings
- UI updates
- Google analytics
- Bundling, minification and mangling (optimizing)
- teams parsing and UI
- players parsing and UI
- draft class parsing and UI

I am going to start with defensive power rankings, looking for ideas from this group. Starting with these - http://www.fangraphs.com/library/defense/

Standings will start with 2068.

looks great!
[Image: MIL-CHAMPS.jpg]
MIL GM: 2060 - 2093 , 2104 - 2106
PIT GM: 2094 - 2103
BAL GM: 2107 - present

5x World Series Championships (2077, 2088, 2090, 2104, 2105)

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »