• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boosting Free Agency
I'll admit that I can see this as a shot in the dark, but I think it could add some interesting decisions in the league. This stems from looking through some FAs-to-be and thinking, "Damn, that's cheap to re-sign him! I'd pay much more than that for him!" So why would a player re-sign so cheap when in reality he could gauge the market and know (even if he's a hometown discount) his team is lowballing his value.

In-Season Extensions
- July 1 thru Sept 1
--- Can re-sign at Sept 1, but must wait until off-season re-signings to extend players once September sims have happened.

Force Free Agency
- From Sept 11 until Playoffs an opposing GM can force a Free Agency eligible player to FA by offering a Fallback of 1.25x (rounded to the nearest $100K) whatever their initial asking price is when the extension screen is opened.
- The player will then be a Type A Compensation player with the opposing GM carrying the Fallback contract and the current GM getting the Compensation pick.
- The current GM can retain the player by matching the offer.
--- Once the playoffs begin players can no longer be forced into Free Agency

EXAMPLE
- DET decides to force SP Kyle Arrington to FA after Sim 11.
- Arrington has a $16.1M/3 asking price.
- DET would be on the hook for $20.1M/3 as a Type A Fallback if CLE does not match.
- CLE is automatically guaranteed a Type A Compensation pick if they do not match since DET will sign Arrington if there are no other bids in Free Agency.

What Does This Accomplish?
- It gets more money out of the game and won't allow people to get ultra cheap deals on their stars.
- Teams can still keep their players if they match the offer or simply re-sign the player before September sims happen.
Cle

Cleveland Record5304-4625 (.534) [2054-2071, 2083-2104, 2110-2131]
AL Post: 15 (ALC), 11 (WC) - ALDS Win: 11 - ALCS Champ: 6 - WS Champ: 3

ALW: Mariners + Angels Record: 1072-864 (.554) [2042-2048, 2105-2110]
AL Post: 3 (ALW), 4 (WC) - ALDS Win: 3 - ALCS Champ: 1 - WS Champ: 1

NLW: Rockies + Padres Record: 3230-2753 (.540) [2017-2042, 2072-2082]
NL Post: 18 (NLW), 4 (WC) - NLDS Win: 7 - NLCS Champ: 4 - WS Champ: 0
I'm always for some new good rules, but I kind of feel like this is getting a little too complex if we decide to go this route.
Not a bad idea, I feel the team needs a bigger consequence to doing this type of offer sheet scenario though. I think it would be a no brainer for re-builders to sabotage their division rivals if they have the budget room. I think a more simpler solution tot this would be what I've been saying for literally years now is that we just have to accept what the player tells us when you open up the negotiation screen and the arby screen
I think it's an interesting idea, but I have a question. Would it be on a first some, first serve basis, where only the initial team has a chance at an upcoming FA, or can other teams jump in and go above the offer of the original fallback offer?
COL GM: 2043 - present

2063 World Champions
2061 NL Champions
I agree, we gotta do something about free agency. I kinda like Mike's idea better, but I would be fine with either his or yours Matty.

Or... maybe we can take personality into account somehow...? And if a player says he's actually happy in the city that he's in?
(07-01-2016, 04:56 PM)dlee2499 Wrote: I agree, we gotta do something about free agency. I kinda like Mike's idea better, but I would be fine with either his or yours Matty.

Or... maybe we can take personality into account somehow...? And if a player says he's actually happy in the city that he's in?

i've actually been in leagues where there where the personalities was a big deal in it. i gotta say i've never been a big fan after seeing it play out. if mogul was a much better run game, i'd prolly agree, but mogul has some flaws and personalities is a huge one, IMO.

i was in a league where my team made playoffs all the time, city was close to hometown of some players and they were still pissed. i drafted and developed the players and still didn't matter. they were used in the right way, weren't abused in the system and were still upset cause of various stupid reasons such as a "friend" wasn't with them. sometimes what can make a player happy is having a friend with the org, but what's funny is, it doesn't matter if the friend is on the same team or in A ball, he'd still be happier either way. i mean, pick up a fucking phone and talk to your friend.

league can do what they want, but i'm speaking from personal experience that using player personalities for anything with mogul is an awful decision.
I agree with Rocky, probably not a good idea to involve personality. But I am glad people are thinking of ways to improve the league!
COL GM: 2043 - present

2063 World Champions
2061 NL Champions
(07-01-2016, 02:40 PM)mattynokes Wrote: I'll admit that I can see this as a shot in the dark, but I think it could add some interesting decisions in the league. This stems from looking through some FAs-to-be and thinking, "Damn, that's cheap to re-sign him! I'd pay much more than that for him!" So why would a player re-sign so cheap when in reality he could gauge the market and know (even if he's a hometown discount) his team is lowballing his value.

In-Season Extensions
- July 1 thru Sept 1
--- Can re-sign at Sept 1, but must wait until off-season re-signings to extend players once September sims have happened.

Force Free Agency
- From Sept 11 until Playoffs an opposing GM can force a Free Agency eligible player to FA by offering a Fallback of 1.25x (rounded to the nearest $100K) whatever their initial asking price is when the extension screen is opened.
- The player will then be a Type A Compensation player with the opposing GM carrying the Fallback contract and the current GM getting the Compensation pick.
- The current GM can retain the player by matching the offer.
--- Once the playoffs begin players can no longer be forced into Free Agency

EXAMPLE
- DET decides to force SP Kyle Arrington to FA after Sim 11.
- Arrington has a $16.1M/3 asking price.
- DET would be on the hook for $20.1M/3 as a Type A Fallback if CLE does not match.
- CLE is automatically guaranteed a Type A Compensation pick if they do not match since DET will sign Arrington if there are no other bids in Free Agency.

What Does This Accomplish?
- It gets more money out of the game and won't allow people to get ultra cheap deals on their stars.
- Teams can still keep their players if they match the offer or simply re-sign the player before September sims happen.

matty, i think you're in the right place here wanting guys to sign for more expensive contracts, but i gotta be honest here, i don't think this is a solultion at all. such a big loophole in all this that honestly makes it moot.

if i wait until september through the playoffs sim, i run the risk of another team bidding that fallback thing you mentioned if i try to resign a player and i'd have to pay more to keep the player. but, why wouldn't a team just sign the player anywhere from July 1st-August 16th sim so that you know... you don't risk someone else coming in bidding and bidding you up? or just extend the guy during resignings. i'd have to be honest, if i'm gonna sign a guy, i'd use that loophole there, and i don't see why others wouldn't either lol.
I understand the purpose of the idea. but in reality would be a truly mind numbing process.

Less is better
World Champs: 2071, 2106, 2108
I'm just listening, you guys feel free to share what you think.
World Champion 2018, 2021, 2026, 2030, 2035, 2037, 2039
AL Champion 12 times
FCM Best Record-Holder - 121-41 2028
Overall Record: 3530-1978 .641%
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »