• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2063 Nokes Draft Grades
Having a lot of time to reflect on the draft, I thought the disinterest was massively misplaced. There’s no doubt it was a weaker draft, but there was talent there. Many of which at moment who look to peak out in the low 80’s, but if they can just reach the mid to upper 80’s, they could be quite good. I think too many people psyched themselves out into thinking they needed to reach and left good players on the board for later picks.
----------

01. :min2: 3B Marcus Taladay
He should hit for power and will walk a ton. Listed as a 2B, but will have to move to 3B, since his range is poor for FCM standards.

Grade: [Image: 4-Stars.png]
Future Skills: 87 Con, 94 Pow, 91 Eye
Scouting File Rank: 1
Scouting File Score: 91.47

02. :nyy2: SS Richard Hounsell
I’m not sure he’ll be elite, but he’ll be a very reliable SS. He’ll play good defense, with solid speed, and looks to walk a lot.

Future Skills: 84 Con, 64 Pow, 95 Eye
Scouting File Rank: 3
Scouting File Score: 90.34

03. :phi2: 3B Allan Hodgson
Not a fan of this pick. He’ll have a lot of power, but that’s all he’ll have. I find it far too early to reach on a one trick pony.

Grade: [Image: 2-Stars.png]
Future Skills: 77 Con, 94 Pow, 70 Eye
Scouting File Rank: 11
Scouting File Score: 86.70

04. :tor3: SP Yoshiie Fukuzawa
Despite being Asian, I like him. He projects quite well and has the perfect blend on endurance, health, and vitals being above his overall. Like I’ve said in the past, without real good power, it’s tough to be dominant, but he should still factor in as a highly reliable top of the rotation starter.

Future Skills: 88 Con, 69 Pow, 97 Mov
Scouting File Rank: 4
Scouting File Score: 90.21

05. :nym2: SP Jim Ahern
Though he’s highly dependent on a first season jump, I think he’s the best pitching prospect in the draft. His movement potential is through the roof and he should wind up with good control as well.

Future Skills: 86 Con, 71 Pow, 98 Mov
Scouting File Rank: 2
Scouting File Score: 90.51

06. :tex2: 3B Tanner Traylor
He’ll certainly be great defensively, but his high health raises the question of how much it’ll effect his development offensively.

Grade: [Image: 3-Stars.png]
Future Skills: 82 Con, 79 Pow, 83 Eye
Scouting File Rank: 9
Scouting File Score: 87.58

07. :lad2: RP Nick Klee
This pick is quite uninspiring. His control is too far behind the eight ball to stick as a starter. Though, he projects low HRs and should have good movement, so he could end up as a setup man or potential closer. Still, not good enough for a top 10 pick.

Future Skills: 75 Con, 76 Pow, 93 Mov
Scouting File Rank: 30
Scouting File Score: 82.17

08. :oak2: SP Todd Tippett
A solid arm who should wind up with a very good Fastball. A big question mark is where his HRs will fall? He has two years where they’re high and two years where they’re low. That will likely be the difference in him being very good and very average.

Future Skills: 86 Con, 87 Pow, 85 Mov
Scouting File Rank: 18
Scouting File Score: 85.05

09. :bos2: DH/RF Ernest Patten
He has a chance to be a very good bat with very good contact and power. His fielding is suspect, but I figure he could be tolerable in RF with his decent speed and range if needed.

Future Skills: 92 Con, 92 Pow, 81 Eye
Scouting File Rank: 5
Scouting File Score: 88.68

10. :sdp2: SP Jason Pople
Usually I would disdain pitching with both very high health and movement, but in a draft lacking pitching options, this is a worthy gamble. His projection is very pedestrian as it stands, but some pitchers beat the usual inflated peaks with those two high vitals.

Future Skills: 83 Con, 79 Pow, 86 Eye
Scouting File Rank: 20
Scouting File Score: 84.80

11. :hou3: 1B Montez Robinson
He’s alright. He’ll have very good contact, but how much of his contact and eye are eaten up from the low strikeouts? His power projects decently, but starting out at 68 and behind his other two offensive vitals concerns me that even if he looks nice, he may underwhelm.

Future Skills: 97 Con, 86 Pow, 84 Eye
Scouting File Rank: 8
Scouting File Score: 87.74

12. TBR2 SP Franky Greer
It’s shocking that a build like his with a repertoire like his lasted this long in the draft. He seems like a pitcher who’s primed to be a very reliable middle of the rotation arm, with potential to be an upper rotation starter if he reaches the 90’s. He could be the steal of the draft.

Grade: [Image: 5-Stars.png]
Future Skills: 86 Con, 72 Pow, 93 Mov
Scouting File Rank: 7
Scouting File Score: 87.77

13. :cin2: RP Patrick Herrod
I don’t like him at all. He shows high home runs and a power build while control is still in the 50’s on draft day usually isn’t the recipe for a successful pitcher. I can’t see him hanging around the rotation so it’s a wonder of how good of a reliever will he be?

Grade: [Image: 1-Star.png]
Future Skills: 75 Con, 93 Pow, 87 Mov
Scouting File Rank: 42
Scouting File Score: 80.65

14. :bal3: DH Gerrit Binning
No arm. No power. What the hell?

Future Skills: 94 Con, 73 Pow, 90 Eye
Scouting File Rank: 24
Scouting File Score: 84.15

15. :stl2: CF Sean Thomason
I understand people like these guys. On the surface they look good with quality contact, speed, and defense. However, when you look a little deeper he appears as someone who’s contact and eye is a good bit inflated due to low strikeouts. He looks like the classic eye candy who’ll under hit his contact.

Future Skills: 87 Con, 62 Pow, 74 Eye
Scouting File Rank: 25
Scouting File Score: 83.67

16. :mia: RF/1B Rick Wiedemann
Much like Robinson, I don’t think too highly of him. He lacks the ability to walk nor does he have much power. He’s relying on contact to carry him and you can get a more productive corner hitter than what he’ll become.

Future Skills: 96 Con, 85 Pow, 71 Eye
Scouting File Rank: 21
Scouting File Score: 84.65

17. :was2: 3B Alan Turner
He can field just fine, but this is a wasted pick since he cannot hit. His eye is awful and he’ll never walk much at all. The power is easy to see it’ll never be much nor is he fast, so he may have solid contact? Oh joy...

Future Skills: 88 Con, 78 Pow, 70 Eye
Scouting File Rank: 27
Scouting File Score: 82.86

18. :tex2: 3B Justin Graham
He’s one of those interesting prospects that for how he stands now, is nothing to get excited about. But, if he can peak out a little higher, then he could be a pretty good player.

Future Skills: 78 Con, 78 Pow, 79 Eye
Scouting File Rank: 23
Scouting File Score: 84.28

19. :mil2: SP Andrew McKibbin
Like Greer, it’s surprising a build of this nature feel so late in what was regarded as a poor draft. He’ll have solid control and quality movement. At this point in the draft, he’s a gift.

Future Skills: 85 Con, 66 Pow, 93 Mov
Scouting File Rank: 15
Scouting File Score: 85.99

20. :chc2: LF Sean Anthony
His power is clear, so it boils down to one question, “Where will his contact end up?” He’s risky, but may pay off in the end.

Future Skills: 73 Con, 100 Pow, 72 Eye
Scouting File Rank: 47
Scouting File Score: 80.38

21. :sfg2: 3B/1B Glenn Kinnult
Maybe people wrote him off, because he’s “just a first baseman”, but if you selected him in-game and saw his vitals at 3B, you might consider him a potential 3B. His bat projects pretty well and he should walk a ton. If he can hang at 3B, he’s a very good one.

Future Skills: 83 Con, 90 Pow, 92 Eye
Scouting File Rank: 10
Scouting File Score: 87.08

22. :min2: SP Rafael Arrastio
His control is close to the red flag zone, but it’s quite a bit above his overall and he’s just 18, so there’s time for him to develop solid control. Other than that, I think this is a solid pitcher who should have gone earlier.

Future Skills: 87 Con, 75 Pow, 87 Mov
Scouting File Rank: 13
Scouting File Score: 86.23

23. :bal3: 2B Brian Harrison
His contact is slow low, that I don’t think he’ll be able to hit RHP. He’ll be a fine platoon guy vs LHP, but that’s not what you want in the first round. Plus his defense will likely only be passable and not what you strive for.

Future Skills: 70 Con, 92 Pow, 84 Eye
Scouting File Rank: 54
Scouting File Score: 79.73

24. :mia: SP Joel Goodwell
Not really a fan, but he’ll probably work out alright in Florida since their park hides home run problems, which he’s likely to have, and allows strikeout pitchers to shine. In most other parks, he’d get beat up.

Future Skills: 79 Con, 86 Pow, 85 Mov
Scouting File Rank: 40
Scouting File Score: 80.76

25. :chw2: RP Gustavo Serrano
Low control plus high health equals a scary concoction that I’d want no part of. He’s destined for the bullpen and likely just the third or fourth best option.

Future Skills: 72 Con, 79 Pow, 87 Mov
Scouting File Rank: 69
Scouting File Score: 78.59

26. :bos2: CF Justin Nash
It seems like it’d be so obvious, but some didn’t like a 16 year old with already MLB worthy defense at a premium position who bats left-handed. If he reaches the 90’s, he should be a star. Steal of the draft candidate #2.

Future Skills: 84 Con, 77 Pow, 88 Eye
Scouting File Rank: 6
Scouting File Score: 88.65

27. :mil2: RF/CF Nathan Gulledge
He’s a solid build and a lefty bat, but I don’t see something that suggests to take him this early. He should wind up a startable player, but “startable players” are ones you don’t get comfortable with and look to upgrade as soon as you can.

Future Skills: 78 Con, 80 Pow, 82 Eye
Scouting File Rank: 45
Scouting File Score: 80.48

28. CLE2 CF Vic Vega
It’s surprising a guy with his potential lasted this long when others reached. He projects to be a quality above average starter who’ll have upper 80’s range, so possibly he can stick in CF, but if not then he’s a fine option in RF.

Future Skills: 87 Con, 82 Pow, 82 Eye
Scouting File Rank: 17
Scouting File Score: 85.08

29. :nym2: 3B Jim Leddy
Despite starting out with low contact, it does project quite well and it helps that he looks to strikeout in bunches, so it deflates how he’ll hit for average. If his defense comes around, he’ll be a pretty good starter.

Future Skills: 82 Con, 88 Pow, 80 Eye
Scouting File Rank: 16
Scouting File Score: 85.10

30. :mia: SS Bengi Sebrian
He’s an alright starter since he can play defense, but I wouldn’t expect much of him from the dish. He doesn’t look like he’ll walk much and hitting for average will be a challenge with low strikeouts.

Future Skills: 82 Con, 70 Pow, 76 Eye
Scouting File Rank: 19
Scouting File Score: 84.82

31. :chc2: DH Jikkyo Sugano
Initially I wrote him off, and I think a lot of others did as well considering his age, poor health, and suspect defense. However, his bat profiles quit well as a legit middle of the order threat if his advanced age doesn’t spurn his development

Future Skills: 91 Con, 87 Pow, 89 Eye
Scouting File Rank: 12
Scouting File Score: 86.40

32. ATL2 RP Tommy Turley
His build blows chunks compared to his overall, especially his control.

Future Skills: 75 Con, 74 Pow, 86 Mov
Scouting File Rank: 84
Scouting File Score: 76.71

33. :chw2: RP Cal Davis
Despite a borderline projection, I like him a little. He doesn’t look to give up many homers, so he could be a decent 3rd or 4th reliever out of the pen. I just wouldn’t nearly take him this high.

Future Skills: 70 Con, 56 Pow, 83 Eye
Scouting File Rank: 114
Scouting File Score: 73.46

34. :sdp2: DH Omar Martiarena
He has a decent projection offensively, but has no arm, so his value is quite limited as a DH without true power.

Future Skills: 87 Con, 79 Pow, 85 Eye
Scouting File Rank: 38
Scouting File Score: 81.05

35. CLE2 SS Luke Tarleton
Being a little older and having limited upside makes him a risky pick if he doesn’t hit his jumps. He is good defensively and in the least, he’ll get on base and has solid speed.

Future Skills: 78 Con, 64 Pow, 89 Eye
Scouting File Rank: 14
Scouting File Score: 86.00

36. :chc2: DH Kent Little
Terrible defensively, but projects pretty well offensively. The world needs DHs too.

Future Skills: 81 Con, 83 Pow, 81 Eye
Scouting File Rank: 132
Scouting File Score: 71.63
Cle

Cleveland Record5304-4625 (.534) [2054-2071, 2083-2104, 2110-2131]
AL Post: 15 (ALC), 11 (WC) - ALDS Win: 11 - ALCS Champ: 6 - WS Champ: 3

ALW: Mariners + Angels Record: 1072-864 (.554) [2042-2048, 2105-2110]
AL Post: 3 (ALW), 4 (WC) - ALDS Win: 3 - ALCS Champ: 1 - WS Champ: 1

NLW: Rockies + Padres Record: 3230-2753 (.540) [2017-2042, 2072-2082]
NL Post: 18 (NLW), 4 (WC) - NLDS Win: 7 - NLCS Champ: 4 - WS Champ: 0
Grades are always good.