• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Push Back Trade Deadline, Remove Waivers!
I didn't chime in originally because having the changes to type b be forced in with zero discussion with the league left a sour taste in my mouth so any discussions for anything else I feel it's basically wasted time. However, since some are starting to chime in with concerns I'll give my 2 cents, and that's in Canadian.

The higher end players will either have a increase in value or no change. Compensation assures that if you think you are going to get at least type b comp then it would make no sense for you to take anything less than that. With that said I could see this opening up more trades due to the fact you will essentially know if you are in or out by the new deadline. Any team dealing for a player at this time would have to dumb to give comp value and then let him go after the month and change if you include playoffs so that could have a great impact on free agency.

The bigger problem will come from the lower end guys. The guys who are not good enough for type b but would make really good bench players or a super sub. If you are a team not in the playoff picture you would be dumb to not deal a guy you are not tendering for at least something back, and guess what, the buyers are in the drivers seat at that point unless you managed to create a bidding war on them which my guess won't happen as by that point there should be plenty of those types to be had. This is where playoff teams can load up, and sure they may not be grabbing a bunch of game changers but having that super sub could mean the difference between winning and losing if you happen to take a big injury and your bench production will go up ten fold. If a team has the money their entire bench and lower end bullpen guys should all be different. In that respect that de-legitimizes the whole thing and is essentially why trade deadlines are not that close to the playoffs.

As far as teams being buddy buddy, well some people make good relationships and haven't nickled and dimed for every single player they trade so absolutely I could see some gms coming to one another first and if they give something close to fair then the player won't even hit the trade block, but that's true with any player that's not going to net a decent sized return. We all have lives. If I know a gm is going to give something fair without taking me 4 hours of my real life time then yeah he's prolly going to get the player. Sometimes it may mean I lost out on a couple mil but more often than not it will end up being what I could have gotten had I just shopped them.
Mike - That's my only fear. What point is there to the deadline if teams are 20 games out of knowing whether they are in or out? There may be heavy trading, there may be very little trading. What if a team could make a deal by the July 31st deadline that helps him get to October, but that very same team, with an Aug.31st deadline, decides to wait another month to see if they're "in it" and because they have fallen back a bit decide not to go at all. That essentially takes away from a level of competitiveness in the game.

One of the best things about Baseball IMO is the fact that it actually has a trade deadline worth anticipating. Cam may be right in us just testing the water for a 3 seasons or so and then reassess from there. July 31st, August 16th or August 31st, the only thing I care about is if this will create a more active deadline and a deadline that encourages everyone to take competitive steps.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »