• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Couple of Suggestions
Tanking Rule

As of the Winterball file:

1. If a team doesn't have at least 3 players rated 85+, they lose 5 points of Fan Loyalty.
2. If a team doesn't have at least 7 players rated 80+, they lose 5 points of Fan Loyalty.

This would happen every year, so a team could lose a maximum of 10 points year-after-year until they get to those levels.

There have been enough people who have been outspoken about being against tanking that I bet someone would step up agree to be the one who checks on this, so that it's not another thing for Andy to do.
-----

One thing already brought up to me when I mentioned this to someone was teams can have overrated players just to meet the requirements. That's certainly true. However, I think it would take effort (and likely seeking trades or FA signings) to get that many overrated players. Which, if they had to go to extra means to tank, then they likely spent some resources they could have used to further the rebuild.

The next thing I hear is how some GMs are savvy and acquire underrated players. This is also true. However, no competing team is completely devoid of players with good ratings. This is asking for a total of 10 80+ rated players. It's still leaving plenty of room for filler players during rebuild years.

One thing that we as GMs never have to answer to in Mogul, is fans. Fans are rather easily duped in that you can do a slash and burn rebuild, have no recognizable names or players for 3-5 years and then suddenly turn out a good team and the horde of fans will come rushing back.

Realistically, this would invoke a massive outcry and rage for fans. Attendance and fan support would be very low during the slash and burn rebuild times and even when competing again, many fans would still hold a grudge for how they were treated. This is why even in full rebuilds, real MLB teams tend to hold onto a few older and/or good players, so that it doesn't completely disengage fan interest.

Career Window Adjustment

5M to have Career Window activated
-----

What is Career Window? It's explained here. So, this is that jump players get when simming from Re-Signings to March 1. It's something that every player will eventually get. The issue is that it unnecessarily holds players back that would otherwise be useful in the majors. Really the whole projected debut/retirement thing in Mogul is long overdue to be cut out.

Sure, having this would be artificially adjusting talent, but again it's something that will eventually happen anyway. And yes, it could effect talent distribution. However, it's not a guarantee since you may be boosting an 81/88 player to 85/88. This is another way to get cash out of the game and potentially give teams a boost. Competition is always good, right?

Lastly, to end the guessing game, I would explain what some already know - how to identify if a player has hit their Career Window yet or not.
Cle

Cleveland Record5304-4625 (.534) [2054-2071, 2083-2104, 2110-2131]
AL Post: 15 (ALC), 11 (WC) - ALDS Win: 11 - ALCS Champ: 6 - WS Champ: 3

ALW: Mariners + Angels Record: 1072-864 (.554) [2042-2048, 2105-2110]
AL Post: 3 (ALW), 4 (WC) - ALDS Win: 3 - ALCS Champ: 1 - WS Champ: 1

NLW: Rockies + Padres Record: 3230-2753 (.540) [2017-2042, 2072-2082]
NL Post: 18 (NLW), 4 (WC) - NLDS Win: 7 - NLCS Champ: 4 - WS Champ: 0
Outahere mogul had anti tanking laws in place that worked well, there were fines and potential loss of DP if people were actively tanking. I think that route is the better way to go.
Pit GM
'08- Current: Pirates GM Record
'56-'08: Seattle GM Record 4606-3510 .568 win%
'20-'32: San Francisco GM Record 875-1231 .415 win%
'10-'14: Minnesota GM Record 324-324 .500 win%
World Series Champion 2010, 2089, 2092, 2095
American League Champion 2010, 2062, 2089, 2092, 2093, 2095

Best Record Full Year (Regular Season and Playoffs Combined):  131-45 .744 win%
Winner of first ever FCM World Series
Not interested in the career window suggestions but an anti-tanking suggestion is needed and has been needed for years.

I've suggested a draft lottery for years where lottery teams (non playoff teams) each have a chance to get the 1st ovr pick. I suggest this scale be simply even for each team in the lottery so every non playoff team has an equal shot. I think a reasonable way to do this would be similar to the NBA where the 1st 5 teams are chosen from the number drawing and after that the remaining picks are distributed in order or descending record. So if you were the team with the worst record you would at worst get the 6th ovr pick.

In my opinion this would make losing on a purpose a much less attractive strategy because mogul simply does not adjust well to this tanking strategy. Teams are allowed to run a piss poor budget and just rake in the cash because the doofus artificial fans are still showing up to the games and advertisers are still paying the TV network like the team is decent. The money aspect just does not play out like it would in real life.
World Champs: 2071, 2106, 2108
Not suggesting FCM should use this but I'll post it here in case you're interested. It's the weighted formula I use for my draft lottery. Obviously, it could be tweaked.

And here is the site that makes it easy. http://www.draftpicklottery.com/

For the record, I don't really think this is something for FCM.

Quote:First 6 teams are chosen through the lottery, then the remainder of the draft follows by record

WS Participants - 0 balls
90+ wins - 0 balls
89 wins - 1 ball
88 - 2 x .2 = 1 ball (always round down as you can't have a partial ball :))
87 - 3 x .3 = 1
86 - 4 x .4 = 1
85 - 5 x .5 = 2
84 - 6 x .6 = 3
83 - 7 x .7 = 4
82 - 8 x .8 = 6
81 - 9 x .9 = 8
80 - 10 x 1 = 10
79 - 11 x 1.1 = 12
78 - 12 x 1.2 = 14
77 - 13 x 1.3 = 16
76 - 14 x 1.4 = 19
75 - 15 x 1.5 = 22
74 - 16 x 1.6 = 25
73 - 17 x 1.7 = 28
72 - 18 x 1.8 = 32
71 - 19 x 1.9 = 36
70 - 20 x 2 = 40
69 - 21 x 2.1 = 44
68 - 22 x 2.2 = 48
67 - 23 x 2.3 = 52
66 - 24 x 2.4 = 57
65 - 25 x 2.5 = 62
64 - 26 x 2.6 = 67
63 - 27 x 2.7 = 72
62 - 28 x 2.8 = 78
61 - 29 x 2.9 = 84
60 - 30 x 3 = 90
59 - 31 x 3.1 = 96
58 - 32 x 3.2 = 102
57 - 33 x 3.3 = 108
56 - 34 x 3.4 = 115
55 - 35 x 3.5 = 122
54 - 36 x 3.6 = 129
53 - 37 x 3.7 = 136
52 - 38 x 3.8 = 144
51 - 39 x 3.9 = 152
50 - 40 x 4 = 160
Division Champions:
League Champions:
World Series Champions:
(01-27-2016, 09:13 AM)mzylinski Wrote: Outahere mogul had anti tanking laws in place that worked well, there were fines and potential loss of DP if people were actively tanking. I think that route is the better way to go.

i remember that. i think it was ok at the time, but in hindsight i don't think it was that great of an idea. they went with a certain amount of win type of system. always gotta remember some divisions are better than others. one team that would rebuild but in toughest division could end up with being in the penalty while another that tanked much worse but in a much easier division might not be penalized because they win just enough because of their crappy division. i wouldn't really be in favor of something like that.
I think it's much harder to hoard cash with the penalties we have in place for that. With all the cash I was able to hoard in Tampa, I'm going to be out of cash by the beginning of next season. I'm open to a draft lottery system ONLY for the top 5 teams.

I think for teams who are on their second straight season of under .430 winning percentage should be docked 5 fan loyalty points. Teams on their third straight season of under .430 Winning percentage should be docked 10 fan loyalty points and fined $25M cash (There is no way an active GM on a rebuilding team can lose for three years and not have 25M cash to pay in penalties. If that's the case, the GM should be removed.), and for teams going on their fourth straight season and on of under .430 Winning percentage should be docked an additional 10 fan loyalty points, fined $15M and stripped of their 1st and 3rd round draft picks. If a GM reaches a 5th straight season of under .430%, they should be stripped of their team.

I'd rather have 5 teams under commish control than 5 tanking, neglected teams under flaky GM's control. There is absolutely no reason a team would be unable to reach 70 wins by their third to fourth rebuilding season, absolutely none. For people who will say "well we don't want to totally kill a team just because they have a crappy GM", this system will weed out the GMs who obviously don't give a shit about their teams, and The Czar reserves the right to exercise an executive order of removing a GM from their post should it be obvious they have no care for their team. If someone has shown no urgency to prevent his team from falling into those 3rd or 4th season penalties, they should be booted immediately. People like GD, Erik, Jason, Fred, Warpriest and Corey have proven that you don't have to be excessively active to field a winning team, let alone a team who can top 70 wins in a season. This suggestion may seem harsh, but I think it will prevent any quality GM from tanking enough to reach those third or fourth season penalties.
I don't like either. If your going to do a lottery it needs to be with every team that misses the playoffs not just the top 5-7 that wont stop people from doing a slash and burn rebuild. This is has been a problem since the first day I started playing mogul the problem is that it works more times than it doesn't so people still continue to do it
[Image: muaoma.jpg]

Sdp
2044- Present

Don't Bring sand to the Beach- GB
I like the suggestions by both Peter and Matty, and think that at least one of them should probably be implemented. I'm not so crazy about the performance penalties suggested by PR, because talent distribution is uneven and a good team stuck in a stacked division would suffer penalties even though they weren't actively tanking. I'm also not much of a fan of tweaking the Career Window. I think that the uncertainty of when a player will get that jump is part of the fun of Mogul.
COL GM: 2043 - present

2063 World Champions
2061 NL Champions
(01-27-2016, 09:57 AM)rockybull Wrote:
(01-27-2016, 09:13 AM)mzylinski Wrote: Outahere mogul had anti tanking laws in place that worked well, there were fines and potential loss of DP if people were actively tanking. I think that route is the better way to go.

i remember that. i think it was ok at the time, but in hindsight i don't think it was that great of an idea. they went with a certain amount of win type of system. always gotta remember some divisions are better than others. one team that would rebuild but in toughest division could end up with being in the penalty while another that tanked much worse but in a much easier division might not be penalized because they win just enough because of their crappy division. i wouldn't really be in favor of something like that.

The point was it was mildly objective, there is a differnece between purposely fielding a shit team and having them play under projection, hint look at my team.
(01-27-2016, 10:31 AM)Mstrpr626 Wrote: I think it's much harder to hoard cash with the penalties we have in place for that. With all the cash I was able to hoard in Tampa, I'm going to be out of cash by the beginning of next season. I'm open to a draft lottery system ONLY for the top 5 teams.

I think for teams who are on their second straight season of under .430 winning percentage should be docked 5 fan loyalty points. Teams on their third straight season of under .430 Winning percentage should be docked 10 fan loyalty points and fined $25M cash (There is no way an active GM on a rebuilding team can lose for three years and not have 25M cash to pay in penalties. If that's the case, the GM should be removed.), and for teams going on their fourth straight season and on of under .430 Winning percentage should be docked an additional 10 fan loyalty points, fined $15M and stripped of their 1st and 3rd round draft picks. If a GM reaches a 5th straight season of under .430%, they should be stripped of their team.

I'd rather have 5 teams under commish control than 5 tanking, neglected teams under flaky GM's control. There is absolutely no reason a team would be unable to reach 70 wins by their third to fourth rebuilding season, absolutely none. For people who will say "well we don't want to totally kill a team just because they have a crappy GM", this system will weed out the GMs who obviously don't give a shit about their teams, and The Czar reserves the right to exercise an executive order of removing a GM from their post should it be obvious they have no care for their team. If someone has shown no urgency to prevent his team from falling into those 3rd or 4th season penalties, they should be booted immediately. People like GD, Erik, Jason, Fred, Warpriest and Corey have proven that you don't have to be excessively active to field a winning team, let alone a team who can top 70 wins in a season. This suggestion may seem harsh, but I think it will prevent any quality GM from tanking enough to reach those third or fourth season penalties.

I dont like a draft lottery personally i think its asinine however the rest if your post im in agreement with. But i would add the Boss man can decide not to levy penalties on any given hear if he believes they were warrentes, however the team still slide down the track to the next penalty level, which again Andy can enforce or not.
Pit GM
'08- Current: Pirates GM Record
'56-'08: Seattle GM Record 4606-3510 .568 win%
'20-'32: San Francisco GM Record 875-1231 .415 win%
'10-'14: Minnesota GM Record 324-324 .500 win%
World Series Champion 2010, 2089, 2092, 2095
American League Champion 2010, 2062, 2089, 2092, 2093, 2095

Best Record Full Year (Regular Season and Playoffs Combined):  131-45 .744 win%
Winner of first ever FCM World Series
(01-27-2016, 12:04 PM)decker91 Wrote: I don't like either. If your going to do a lottery it needs to be with every team that misses the playoffs not just the top 5-7 that wont stop people from doing a slash and burn rebuild. This is has been a problem since the first day I started playing mogul the problem is that it works more times than it doesn't so people still continue to do it

Well that's not what I suggested. I suggested every non playoff team gets an even chance at getting the 1st ovr pick. The lottery would occur to to select 5 numbers. The teams each respective number would win those picks in the order they are selected. Then the remaining lottery teams would be ordered in descending order based on record. So if you have the worst record then the worst DP you can get would be 6th overall. If you are the 3rd worst team then the worst pick you can receive would be 8th overall and so on.

World Champs: 2071, 2106, 2108
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »