• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Peak Start
Making players peak later would put an end to the 2 year rebuilding. No team should be able to blow up their entire team, bring in all spects, and be able to start winning in 2 seasons like we've seen. The spects should take time to develop into MLB-ready players, making people think twice about going into a true rebuild
NYY GM (2010-2017):
791-507 (.610)
4-time ALCS Champs
2014 World Series Champs
I'm wondering how much of this is perception bias. Because we have specs that take awhile to develope to, ala Quinton Mccabbe on my team.
The thing is players not peaking til 26-27 should be the norm, not the rarity
NYY GM (2010-2017):
791-507 (.610)
4-time ALCS Champs
2014 World Series Champs
(11-16-2010, 06:27 PM)ezpkns34 Wrote: Making players peak later would put an end to the 2 year rebuilding. No team should be able to blow up their entire team, bring in all spects, and be able to start winning in 2 seasons like we've seen. The spects should take time to develop into MLB-ready players, making people think twice about going into a true rebuild

The two year rebuilding process happens when a team keeps rotating pieces, bringing in impact players and such. It also very much depends on what specs you have on your squad, how old and developed they are. If your a team like Seattle, Pittsburgh or Washington, who are examples of teams who have been sitting on their specs, it's taken more than just 2 years to complete a rebuild. Me and Sean have had success pretty early because we paid money or specs to gain impact players, or players that when combined become a solid team. Most clubs aren't doing that, most clubs are sitting on their specs. I haven't really seen a club who has completely rebuilt in 2 years other than my lucky ass and Sean, who very well may have to move the impact pieces he just dealt. Pittsburgh was rebuilding for about 5 seasons I believe, and if not it at least took 3-4 seasons based on when I was here. I do agree that players normally peak at 26 or 27 though, but wouldn't doing that kind of mess with the talent levels we already have?
You haven't been here for that whole process MstrPR. Irish is a good example - he went into full rebuild mode and all the specs he acquired peaked within like a year, two tops. That's nothing against him, that's just completely unrealistic. This is not a matter of perception bias - in the many, many years I have played mogul I had never seen a 22 year old peak until this league. I've seen some 22 year olds stay at 64/67 for four or five years, but to peak at 22? Never. And we've all benefited, shit, Hank Hughes hit the minors 4 years before he should've in real life, but it's totally out of whack.

All kinds of teams are retooling on the fly using 21 year olds they acquire, have season in a year, and then are magically back in the mix. Then these same players that peaked way early are slowly dying off in rating and production in their mid-20s to keep the talent level balanced. So right when they SHOULD be peaking, many of our players are actually going into decline.

The Yanks are spot on with that first point they made.
(11-16-2010, 08:09 PM)AndyP Wrote: You haven't been here for that whole process MstrPR. Irish is a good example - he went into full rebuild mode and all the specs he acquired peaked within like a year, two tops. That's nothing against him, that's just completely unrealistic. This is not a matter of perception bias - in the many, many years I have played mogul I had never seen a 22 year old peak until this league. I've seen some 22 year olds stay at 64/67 for four or five years, but to peak at 22? Never. And we've all benefited, shit, Hank Hughes hit the minors 4 years before he should've in real life, but it's totally out of whack.

All kinds of teams are retooling on the fly using 21 year olds they acquire, have season in a year, and then are magically back in the mix. Then these same players that peaked way early are slowly dying off in rating and production in their mid-20s to keep the talent level balanced. So right when they SHOULD be peaking, many of our players are actually going into decline.

The Yanks are spot on with that first point they made.

Players do normally peak at 25, 26 or 27 IRL, that's true. I just don't think it will really effect these 2 year rebuilds. The age of the preferred player just goes up along with it. I wouldn't mind having players with a bit more longevity though, seeing as that 29 year olds tend to be declining at a weird rate in this league. The whole thing with this, I don't want it to somehow negatively effect talent levels as well as what players we have here already. Would we just be putting players that peak around 25, 26 or 27 into the draft if this is put into effect.
I am on the side of specs seem to be peaking too early. I'm all for changing the setting so players peak at an age a little closer to real life.
It will absolutely affect two year rebuilds. Using the Cubs as an example again - they did a great job trading for great prospects and those players would have become what they are now either way - the difference is it happened, in my opinion, two years before it should have. Florida is another example of a team that has been built around 25 year olds who are peaked and are now watching those same guys crash and burn right after they sign them to large extensions right when they should be enjoying their best years.
(11-17-2010, 11:27 PM)AndyP Wrote: It will absolutely affect two year rebuilds. Using the Cubs as an example again - they did a great job trading for great prospects and those players would have become what they are now either way - the difference is it happened, in my opinion, two years before it should have. Florida is another example of a team that has been built around 25 year olds who are peaked and are now watching those same guys crash and burn right after they sign them to large extensions right when they should be enjoying their best years.

When it comes to the Marlins, I see guys like Iglesias, Hunter, Hand, Anderson, Baez and Pace who are producing in the years you state they should be at a high rate, 24, 25, 26 and 27. Same with Chicago and guys like Gossage, Almanzar, Castro and Aitkenhead. Chicago isn't even producing as a team like they should be, so we can't necessarily say it was a successful rebuild in the first place. Their really big pieces that made them look like a threat earlier this year was the fact that they added players from Cleveland's fire sale and some other nice pieces, not really because of their rebuilding project.
(11-17-2010, 11:38 PM)Mstrpr626 Wrote: When it comes to the Marlins, I see guys like Iglesias, Hunter, Hand, Anderson, Baez and Pace who are producing in the years you state they should be at a high rate, 24, 25, 26 and 27. Same with Chicago and guys like Gossage, Almanzar, Castro and Aitkenhead. Chicago isn't even producing as a team like they should be, so we can't necessarily say it was a successful rebuild in the first place. Their really big pieces that made them look like a threat earlier this year was the fact that they added players from Cleveland's fire sale and some other nice pieces, not really because of their rebuilding project.

Pace was drafted in 2011 and it is now 2015, meaning he was 20 when he was drafted. Look at what his vitals did at age 21. How many 20 year olds get 22 starts in the big leagues? Iglesias was in the league at 21 and was in the upper 80s. Hunter was all of 22/23 when he did the same. Hand was 23. Baez was 23. Anderson was 22. That is roughly 2 to 3 years ahead of what happens in real life. That's not to say it never happens, but 6-10 guys on just one team is a good indication of this problem.

I'll use my own team as an example, Wallace was 23, Hughes was 22 (and peaked!), Carrizoza was 22, Bosworth is only 22, Jansen was 22.

Every team in the league would find the same thing. It is way, way out of whack.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »