• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2050 Draft Analysis
Sean is still in the process of pick 27.

1. :KCR: Select SS Tobey Tawesson
Not even the best SS in the draft, Mike picked a rare position, but could have done better. Tawesson may end up being good, but he will be an average defender, although may have a decent bat. His health is also not that great, and statistically speaking in high school never dominated, even with such a high overall. He may have the potential to have a better bat than Verdugo, but Verdugo was by far the number 1 choice.
Rating: C

2. :LAA: Select SS Ivan Verdugo
Best SS in the draft, and yet was the second one taken in the draft. He is going to be a star, he reminds me a lot of last years SS Omar Zelaga, and PR will be quite happy with him. Only 16, and dominated high school, although his hitting vitals are not quite as good as Tawesson, he is young and has plenty of time to grow, not to mention he looks to be a great defender. He will be a star in the future.
Rating: A+

3. :SDP: Select OF Tomas Marrero
Arguably the best hitter in this draft period, although not necessarily the best player. He has great power, and pretty good defense, and San Diego, should be a much needed offensive star. His one drawback is he is 21, and looks like he is only a few years from peaking, but he should bring great power, and fairly decent contact to the Padres.

4. :LAA: Select SP Henrick Loftus
Henrick is essentially a high risk high reward player. He is 18 and has such high control, he could very well be the best pitcher in the file, if he does progress and gets some good jumps, but if he does not get the right jumps, with his peak the way it is he could be a decent player, but nothing more than end of rotation. As good as he could be, this was a fairly large reach, and PR may have been able to get him at pick 14. Either way this will decide whether we see PR’s draft as a failure, or genious, and I still like this pick although it was a little high.
Rating: B

5. :LAA: Select 3B Mike Hillyer
Mike Hillyer is another one of those high risk high rewards, as he does look like he is close to peaking, but he has amazing defense. If he gets the right type of jumps he could be like Sebastien Musgrove, but with less power, but if he does not he could end up like Jason Daintry. If he ends up closer to Daintry, than it will be a waste of a top 5 pick, and this might be a case of maybe wanting to compete sooner than later, or seeing a type of player you like now and taking him, but he could have also been a player that would likely last to pick 14.
Rating: B+

6. :SFG: Select OF Gary “Mad-Eye” Moody
Vertigo took Mad-Eye Moody here, and I think Vertigo will be quite happy. He has the potential to be the best OF in this draft, and has more upside than his counterpart in Marrero. For a young team like San Francisco, it was probably in their best interest to have him over Marrero anyways, and should be a very important corner OF in the future for his team. Not to mention he did very well in high school as well.
Rating: A

7. :DET: Select OF Dan “Jack” Frost
Like Moody and Marrero, Jack Frost will be a very good future corner OF. Of the three I think he is the worse, and has the lowest potential in my eyes, but he should still be a slugger which is what Detroit will need. He is slightly lower on the radar for me, due to his health and him being a year older than Moody, and not being quite as good. His high school numbers show that he may be better, but time will tell.

8. :MIN: Select SP Armato Murna
A decent selection, and one of the pitchers I really liked. The one big issue is he is 17, and so far away it is really hard to tell how his vitals will actually end up going, even though his control is above his overall and movement. He has plenty of time to grow and usually Minnesota does find good pitchers in the draft, so this could be the case with him. He does have a home run issue and has a low ground ball percentage that may cause some problems.

9. :CHW: Select SP Ward Tart
Tart looks to be a pretty good pitcher, and another who is 17, and far away. He has great control that is well above his overall and movement. I think he could very well be the best pitcher in this draft, and that is not bad for Chicago as he was the third pitcher taken. He also has a high ground ball percentage, which should help in the hitters park there. Either way once again Chicago makes another good pick in the draft. Chicago will also have to make sure they change his pitcher use.

10. :TBR: Select SP Jordan Herriage
This is the guy most people thought was the best pitcher. Based on his statistics in high school I would agree with them that he should be very good, and outside of Tart is the other pitcher that has the best shot at being the best. His control is above his overall and movement, but not by much, and he is not as young as the others. Overall, Tampa Bay made a really good pick here.
Rating: A-

11. :OAK: Select 3B Carlos Arciliares
He has more potential than Hillyer, but I like him just slightly less, but he could very well become one of the best 3B in the file in a few years. With there not being that many good 3B prospects, he will have power, and fielding, although his contact and eye may not be that great. Once again Andy makes a great selection of a player that will likely cause AL West teams to fear him. He has also shown himself to be very successful in high school and college. He can also play 2B, and if Andy moves him there, then he will be a big power hitting 2B, who can also field.

12. :WAS: Select SS Fred Kinmount
Kinmount is a decent SS, but not all that great. He hits lefties more than righties, which makes sense, but he both contact and power are below overall, he has average fielding, his eye is not that great, and in my opinion may not be a very good starter. However, Peter does not care about fielding very often, so If for some reason his offense does come around, than it may be a player that is useful for him in the future.

13. :PHI: Select 1B Rico Tavin
I think Rico Tavin will be a fairly good 1B, but probably should be more of a DH. He will have great power, and eye, and even his contact against lefties is above overall which is very helpful for a slugging 1B. The downside is his health, and I am not a huge fan of players with low health. His high school stats show that he can hit the ball really well, and Philadelphia should be quite happy with him, but as always with low health guys, how long will he last?

14. :LAA: Select SP Rob Rees
Basically if you look at Corliss from last year, that is what I see when I look at Rees. Rees should be a good number 3-4 pitcher, and if he can get a few good jumps maybe a 2, but he is very close to being at least pitchable in the majors soon. Biggest downside is he looks to give up a few home runs, and his health is low, but at least he has a high ground ball percentage. We have all seen low health pitchers last, but for me that is something to be scared of. He did pitcher very well in high school and college.
Rating: B-

15. :COL: Select 2B Greg Towes
Definitely not my type of player, he has absolutely horrendous contact, low health, and not that great of a fielder. However, he has great power, speed, and eye is fairly good. His high school and college numbers show that he is going to struggle with contact, but he could end up being useful. I really do not see him being very good ever.
Rating: D

16. :BOS: Select SP Todd Reynolds
Ryan keeps his pick and drafts a pitcher who looks like he will be fairly good. High control and higher power than his overall, is young, but does look like he has some home run issues. Given the proper time to progress, he could very well end up being a number 2 if he only goes regular, but if he gets the right jumps and that, he could end up being a potential ace.

17. :ATL: Select 3B Sandy Yamaguchi
Yamaguchi is definitely a good 3B prospect, although likely not going to be as good as Hillyer or Arcilliares, he should be good. He has the best D of the three, he has a very good eye, and his power is on par with his overall. His splits make him better against lefties than righties, but depending how he develops he could still be more than a platoon. That is the reason he may not end up quite as good as the others. His college stats show he can hit the ball for power but does struggle with contact, and so it should be interesting to see how he improves during his career.

18. :HOU: Select OF Brian Galloway
Although he is far away compared to the others I think he could be very good. Both his power and contact against lefties are above his overall, he has an average eye from the looks of it, and decent defense. Interesting enough he does not project to have a ton of power based on his statistics, but if he continues to progress he could end up with power in the 80’s and look fairly good. Love the fact that he is so young at 18, and Houston definitely picked a good player, although I am aware he was traded to the Cubs to start their rebuild.
Rating: B+ (A+ for the Cubs getting him)

19. :LAA: Select OF Palmer Schaub
Meet Mitchell Starkey from last year, except with less defense. The other big problem that is kind of scary, are his splits, and of course his eye. Statistically he hit fairly well, but it will be interesting to see how his splits develop, and if he only reaches in the low 90s in contact against lefties, than he will not be that great against righties. I feel like this was another big risk by PR, especially by a team that has taken so many in this round.
Rating: C+

20. :COL: Select SP Kevin Feher
Well his control is just barely over his overall and movement, but he does have a very good fastball already. Statistically as well he did not do too bad, except for maybe a home run issue. Depending on how he progresses, Colorado could be fairly happy with what they got with the 20th pick, the issue is, that due to him being what looks like a potential home run machine, that may not work in Colorado.
Rating: B-

21. :ARI: Select SP Lou Cook
Lou Cook looks really good, and once again Arizona made a great pick. His control is above his overall and movement which is a good start, he has fairly high school stats, although he also does look like he gives up his share of homeruns. He has a high fastball rating, although the interesting thing is that he is set as closer, so if Rhendricks has not already done it he may want to. I also am not the biggest fan of his health, but to each their own. I think Cook could very well make it in Arizona, and be a useful starter behind their future core which will be centered around Pinnick.

22. :NYM: Select RP Chip Shephardson
Corey stole my player, but now I have him and everything is right in the world. He does not give up a lot of home runs which is a good thing, and his ground ball percentage is good as well. He is not one of those RP that should be made into an SP, but he looks like he could have the potential of being the new type of closers we are seeing with fairly decent control and movement. His control is above his movement, but not his overall which does create some issue, but in 4 years only gave up 2 home runs, so that’s really good.

23. :LAA: Select OF Peter Carr
In my honest opinion Carr may be better than Schaub, he has better defense, arguably better contact, although the eye is just as bad. The one problem is that he is only 83 peak, so for him to really exceed that he needs some good jumps. He is one point worse in contact against righties than his counterpart who is 3 years older, and really that says a lot about how he likely will be compared to Schaub. I wouldn’t be surprised that by the end of next season he shows himself to be clearly better, unless Schaub gets a jump and Carr does not.

24. :ARI: Select 2B Justin Frakes
Well this is one of those picks by Rhendricks which makes me scratch my head. Frakes looks terrible, he has no eye, his contact is low compared to his overall, but at least he can play D, and he has terrible splits and will never hit righties. He is only a platoon against lefties, and should not have been taken in the first.
Rating: D

25. :ARI: Select SP Rob Fleming
After making that last pick you are almost afraid to look at this one, but then realize that Rhendricks may have been abducted by a different GM on the last pick, and bounces back with this pick. Fleming although will not be a star, looks like he could be a decent pitcher for Rhendricks in the back of the rotation. His control is above movement and overall, and he has a good groundball ratio. He also does not give up a ton of home runs, and is 19, with plenty of time to grow.
Ratio: B

26. :CLE: Select 1B Josh Corrigan
Well after Shephardson got picked, Corrigan was next on my list as I saw him like a Scarth type player but with less power, then Sean had to pick him. His arm and range are terrible, but at least he can field, and really he probably will not have to throw to 3B that often. His eye is okay, but his contact is already really good for someone at 69 overall. Not to mention he is a lefty, so he does already have some power against right handed pitching. I feel like this was a home run of a pick in the second half of the draft.
27. :FLA: Select SP Frank Troggo
A young pitcher with good upside. Not sure if he will be an ace as he has to grow a bit too much for that. I think he should develop to a good 2 or mid rotation pitcher. With the depth of Hokeys rotation, this pick makes sense because he is someone to stash in the minors and let him develop as a replacement in 5-6 years.
Rating : B+

28. :TOR: Select SP Carlo Guarado
Not the worst auto pick ever, but for him to be good he will need a lot of luck. His control is below overall and movement which is not usually a good sign, he is 20 with two good pitches though, and looks like lots of time to progress. Statistically he has not been that great and gives up his fair share of home runs. Now that Corey is the new GM, he will not be selecting players like this in the draft, which will be good for the team.

29. :STL: Select SP Mike Haakenson
He is only 19, and throws an average amount of ground balls, and keeps the ball in the park which are all good things. His control is just barely over his movement and overall, and it will be interesting to see how he progresses as he grows older. Statistically he looks like he could do well, and his power is that of an ace quality, but whether he can take that stride or not will depend on how his vitals improve each jump. A big risk for a team who is starting to lose their top tier rating of players.
Rating: C+

30. :SEA: Select 3B Zeke Wandesford
Not a fan at all of him as a 3B. As a DH he has the potential to be decent as he does have a great eye, and looks to have some strong power. It will be interesting to see how his contact improves, but his defense is horrendous, and he probably could not play 1B that well either. His splits also make him more of a platoon player right now for lefties, but if he hits his peak or higher, he could very well be a decent DH.
Florida GM: 2010 - 2032
Texas GM: 2033 - 2040
Florida GM: 2041 - 2103
Toronto GM: 2104 - ?
World Champion: Florida: 2015, 2027, 2053, 2059, 2062, 2064 Texas: 2037
NL Champion: 2014, 2015, 2020, 2027, 2030, 2037 2048, 2050, 2053, 2059, 2062, 2064
Best Season Record: 117-45 (2060)
2011 - 2032: 2263 - 1359 .625%
2033 - 2040: 617 - 679 .476%
2041 - 2103: 5156 - 4888 .513% 
2104 - ? 0-0 0% 

Total Record: 8036 - 6926 .537%
Best Pitcher Ever: Donovan Pace
Can we give Moody the nickname "Mad Eye"?

Nice job jokey.
Division Champions:
League Champions:
World Series Champions:
(11-17-2014, 05:21 AM)Vertigo Wrote: Can we give Moody the nickname "Mad Eye"?

Nice job jokey.

Done
World Champion 2018, 2021, 2026, 2030, 2035, 2037, 2039
AL Champion 12 times
FCM Best Record-Holder - 121-41 2028
Overall Record: 3530-1978 .641%
Thanks Hokey!
World Champion 2018, 2021, 2026, 2030, 2035, 2037, 2039
AL Champion 12 times
FCM Best Record-Holder - 121-41 2028
Overall Record: 3530-1978 .641%
You know what would be a Crazy idea for the next analysis would to put the player the team should of took.
Well done Hokey.
Pit
2104-2106

237-249 record

Det
2047-2103

5,268-3,807 record

43 Playoff Appearances
27 Division Titles
19 Pennants
6 World Championships  

Houston Astros
2035-2046

1133-811 record

9 Playoff Appearances
5 Division Titles
1 Pennant

Good stuff Hokey and Sean! Palmer's contact VS righties is still above his overall, so if his contact develops anything like hitters who are comparable to him (i.e Hillyer), he will be a lot better than the scouting report suggests.
Good stuff Hokey!!
COL GM: 2043 - present

2063 World Champions
2061 NL Champions
Nicely done, as always, Hokey! I'm glad I was only abducted for a pick.
Mil 2107-Current

ARI2 2033-2069; 2083-2106

2033-2069: 2,921-3,073 (.487%)
2083-2106: 1,961-1,927 (.504%)

4 Wild Card Appearances
8 National League West Championships
4 World Series Championship

Career: 4,882-5,000(.494%)
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »