• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Officiating question
So I have a question here. I play kickball(yeah yeah) today we had a real odd call that transcends just the kickball rules and can be potentially applied to baseball and softball.

Pre-Play Situation:Man on 2nd, 1 out.

Play:Ball is kicked to CF, man on 2nd runs for 3rd. CF throws ball into me at 3rd and I tag the player. Ump calls player out.
They all claim he is safe and I look to the ump real quick to get the call, while that is going on kicker runs to 2nd. I make a hasty throw b/c technically the umpire never called time/dead ball and so it's still live. I over throw 2nd this guy scores. While I was throwing the player called out goes and touches home plate.
The umpires discuss it and give the guy from 2nd the run, and give the kicker 3rd.

So here is the concern, what happens when the umpire incorrectly calls a player out(at 3rd) and overturns it during a dead ball.

My argument to the umpire was it should have been a dead ball play, runner gets 3rd, kicker goes back to 1st(Or at least no further than 2nd.)

They get 2 runs as an end result.

Any ideas on what the ruling should be?(and if you can post ANY type of softball or baseball rules to this, as the league doesn't have a back up association past their own rules and will take any legit rulings especially the ASA and MLB ruling)
Oakland A's
2015-Current
(18 seasons)
1,340-1,577
74-.44-87.66
4 AL West titles
2 ALDS Series appearance
1 WS appearance
[Image: 6zabli.jpg]

So from the MLBs stand point, the runner that you tagged and he called out should've been out, but the play was still alive because the ump had not called time and didn't have the authority to call time in this situation. The "batter" had the right to be on third. The ump cannot change the call from out to safe in the middle of the play because in order to make that decision, he must call time and consult with the other officials. The play did not allow him to do that, so the out call should've been final no matter if it was wrong or right. 5.10 (a) (b) and ©(1) are intertwined with (h) which reads "Except in the cases stated in paragraphs (b) and ©(1) of this rule, no umpire shall call "Time" while the play is in progress."
(10-25-2014, 06:19 AM)Mstrpr626 Wrote: [Image: 6zabli.jpg]

So from the MLBs stand point, the runner that you tagged and he called out should've been out, but the play was still alive because the ump had not called time and didn't have the authority to call time in this situation. The "batter" had the right to be on third. The ump cannot change the call from out to safe in the middle of the play because in order to make that decision, he must call time and consult with the other officials. The play did not allow him to do that, so the out call should've been final no matter if it was wrong or right. 5.10 (a) (b) and ©(1) are intertwined with (h) which reads "Except in the cases stated in paragraphs (b) and ©(1) of this rule, no umpire shall call "Time" while the play is in progress."

Right, when the play was final(b/c the kicker scored ending the play) that's when the play would have been dead. Time in this situation, or in our kickball league is just play over. So when the play was finally ruled over he went over to the other official, and changed the out to a safe, awarded him home, and gave the kicker 3rd.
Oakland A's
2015-Current
(18 seasons)
1,340-1,577
74-.44-87.66
4 AL West titles
2 ALDS Series appearance
1 WS appearance
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »