• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
More Wild Card Teams?
(11-11-2010, 03:14 PM)hokeyrules Wrote: Oh we could do something about instant replay it is just that it is ridiculous. That was the point I was making.

How is this suggestion ridiculous? It's not like this will be taking a totally new level to the game. It's a solid suggestion that might actually work.

P.S. - Check out the new way I suggested the playoffs formatted.
Good teams occasionally miss the playoffs, that's just how it works sometimes
NYY GM (2010-2017):
791-507 (.610)
4-time ALCS Champs
2014 World Series Champs
(11-11-2010, 03:34 PM)ezpkns34 Wrote: Good teams occasionally miss the playoffs, that's just how it works sometimes

True, but wouldn't things be a lot more exciting having two extra teams making the playoffs like TOR and CLE? It could give teams like CHW and TEX the extra confidence to make a late season push.
I am actually for this. I hate how baseball is the only sport where "Tradition" runs the politics of the league. If it makes the league better why not?? It will increase revenue a little bit for those teams who can make it into the playoffs as a WC.
IDC really what they are doing in RL. The Yankees don't spend 45M dollars on their farm system so you can right there discount trying to mimic RL b/c that's just severely unrealistic.

Run a few sims w/ the idea and rules in place, see if it works, and if it doesn't see if it CAN'T work. Once you've gone through this, give us some numbers, some INTELLIGENCE on what happened and let us decide this way.
Don't just discount it b/c the real MLB doesn't use it, or b/c you think tradition dictates us to ONLY use 4 teams(up until the early 90's there were only 2 teams per playoff branch. ALCS and NLCS than the WS).

Lastly be a progressive thinker.
I think what makes the MLB playoffs so special compared to NBA, NFL and NHL is how tuff it is to make the post season. I like things how they are now but, i think it is a good topic to discuss.
Dogers GM 2031- present
Twins GM from 2015-2027
2026 ALDS Winner (Twins)
2022 AL wild Card (Twins)
(11-11-2010, 04:09 PM)Mad_Trapper Wrote: I think what makes the MLB playoffs so special compared to NBA, NFL and NHL is how tuff it is to make the post season. I like things how they are now but, i think it is a good topic to discuss.

I agree with Will. When you are a playoff team in MLB, it is more of an accomplishment than the NBA, NFL or NHL.

With that said, I don't think this is a terrible idea because most likely in the future, this will happen but I would hold off on this until we did something like expansion.
Cubs GM 2010-2021
2017 & 2019 World Champions
LAA GM 2022-2035
2028, 2029, 2032 and 2034 World Champions
I don't know. For me, if you add more playoff spots, it would seem like it would be less competitive. Teams won't try as hard if they knew they have more room for the wildcard spot.

It's exciting as it is now because there's only 25% that make the post-season.

It's unfortunate for teams like Toronto to have 90+ wins and not make the playoffs, but that's his responsibility to do a little better the next season.
Yeah, I would've benefited from it last year....but personally I hate diluted playoff fields. In the NHL and NBA having a pulse is enough to make the playoffs - screw that. I like the regular season meaning something - you want the playoffs, earn it.
(11-11-2010, 04:22 PM)AndyP Wrote: Yeah, I would've benefited from it last year....but personally I hate diluted playoff fields. In the NHL and NBA having a pulse is enough to make the playoffs - screw that. I like the regular season meaning something - you want the playoffs, earn it.

there ya go. Andy doesn't need it, we don't need it. :)
I agree w/ OAK and CHC. I think it is cool that it's hard to make the playoffs but think about the Al East IRL. I'm a Yankees fan so it's always exciting for me. the Rays make it every once in a while and boston is faltering due to injury lately. But what about Toronto and Baltimore. They aren't the best teams in the league and behind 3 supreme teams they'll never get a shot at the playoffs. Baseball has lost it's place as America's national past-time since they had lower WS ratings than standard random NFL regular season games.

With more playoff teams comes more excitement and more fan support of their team. What incentive does a fan from toronto have to watch at the beginning of the year. What about the Nationals, or the Mariners, or the Royals. These teams are behind tough division leaders and...since we've been talking about equaling the playing field both talent-wise and financially, more lower income teams could generate revenue, enough to make each season truly about who has the BEST organization.

I agree with OAK in the sense that it is at LEAST worth considering and proving that it won't work, not just discounting and throwing away. There are a ton of things in this game that are unrealistic, this isn't that hard to believe.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »