• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Agent - An Editorial
It's just the 90s rated players, there's little to no need to manage contracts of those players. The idea is to mimic real life, not be rigid w/ a ton of rules. Death is in the details.
Houston Astros - 2012/2016/2023/2025 Champs!
Cumulative Record: 1894 - 1184 (.615%)
Right, so what do we do in the case of a guy rated 89? So we can't extend him in his arby years but we can if he were one point higher?

I'm not saying I have a particular opinion on this right now....but DJ's answer left me with a lot of questions. To me, any arby year extensions should be allowed at the same time, regardless. So if we don't let people extend sub 90 guys until five years, we do we let them extend above 90 guys before five years?
(11-04-2010, 06:29 PM)dejota Wrote: It's just the 90s rated players, there's little to no need to manage contracts of those players. The idea is to mimic real life, not be rigid w/ a ton of rules. Death is in the details.

In real life it's not just the stars that get arbitration contract extensions.

Ask Nick Blackburn, Corey Hart, Franklin Guitterrez, etc.
Well sometimes when you mimic strawberry's you use strawberry's, sometimes you use strawberry flavoring. Point is, it won't always be the real thing but we're trying to get as close as we can without putting ourselves through hell to get there.
Back on topic, mlbtraderumors.com must've seen this post. They just wrote an excellent article that GMs should be able to put to good use: http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/11/re...tcher.html
Why not just even things out and not allow any extensions until a certain year? Agents for 90+, the game for everyone else.

Maybe compromise at 4 years in for it? That's a good balance. Or just keep it at five but make it the same for both.
I don't think helps FA at all, it just makes GMs more picky about players they keep in the 80-89 range. Maybe impose a rule where players over the rating on 90 cannot be traded as rental players... that would cause a lot more big talent to hit FA
Like I said in the first line, this is meant to help GMs take advantage of the features in place not change the features themselves. I think because of our features we have the parity, varying FA classes (esp if you count IFAs) and realistic economic system other leagues can't match. I'm very biased, but we've never had a repeat WS champion, only one team has made it there twice which very much mimics real life (9 champions in the past 10 years).

Like Andy hit at, we're not always using the same exact means as real life, but it's hard to argue with the results.

So that's the last I'll comment about the actual rules of the feature.
LOL at this thread... Good write up though DJ
:min2: GM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »