• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eligibility for comp
I got to thinking why do we exclude players who have been traded for that season? I don't mind how things are currently but I'm proposing that we allow them to be included for comp and I'll explain why.

It opens up another avenue when trading. I don't know how many times I may have wanted a guy for a rental but didn't want to give comp type prices for a variety of reasons. Mostly because he would be a rental for me even though he is a good player. Allowing the traded player to be in comp would make deals like this for teams possible as assuming the player didn't drop then he would still be good and comp worthy so I wouldn't mind paying a type b or a comp price if I'm likley to just get that back when I let him go for comp.

Take SP Davis on my team for example. I had some nibbles on him but due to his age no one really wanted to invest a whole lot since he is older and in some cases would have likely been a rental for the team. So instead of me dealing him at the deadline he was forced to sit on a team that didn't have a good shot at the playoffs when he could have possibly put another team over the top. Had traded guys been eligible for comp I feel it would be much easier to make a deal like that as at worst he is comp b worthy and would easily get bid on even if he was comp b. That is just one example so don't focus so much on the example as much as you do on the premise of the idea.

On a lesser note this also could possibly allow for a few more decent FA's to hit the market. Currently if a team say had traded for Davis (if i decided for whatever reason to deal him for less than what I think I can get in comp) he would then likely be extending him for at least a year.

So just all the way around I think it would help improve things. Again I'd like to mention I'm not saying our system is broken or anything like that just another small wrinkle to add in to possibly make things even better.
I'm not entirely opposed to this. When we originally changed compensation to sandwich rounds, I didn't propose for mid-season trades to no longer be comp eligible. It came out of nowhere from DJ. There are pros and cons though.

Pro: Opens up a trade possibilities

Con: Rich get richer

I think a solution is to make mid-season trades only eligible for Comp B.

Take Curt Wine for example. No one came calling. Not because he isn't good and no one wanted him, but because people knew Jason was looking at Type A compensation and giving up a 65/88 prospect for rental 1B is a steep price.

If a team could at least get Type B compensation for Wine, they might give up that 65/88 prospect since they can probably get a 60/84 type prospect back. Wine's value essentially is the difference in a 65/88 prospect to a 60/84 prospect and his caliber of bat is probably worth that in a playoff run.

The benefit is that a team can't buy low on a guy and then turn him around for Type A compensation, yet it opens up another avenue for trading in which the new team doesn't have to feel like they're blowing a prospect for a complete rental.
Cle

Cleveland Record5304-4625 (.534) [2054-2071, 2083-2104, 2110-2131]
AL Post: 15 (ALC), 11 (WC) - ALDS Win: 11 - ALCS Champ: 6 - WS Champ: 3

ALW: Mariners + Angels Record: 1072-864 (.554) [2042-2048, 2105-2110]
AL Post: 3 (ALW), 4 (WC) - ALDS Win: 3 - ALCS Champ: 1 - WS Champ: 1

NLW: Rockies + Padres Record: 3230-2753 (.540) [2017-2042, 2072-2082]
NL Post: 18 (NLW), 4 (WC) - NLDS Win: 7 - NLCS Champ: 4 - WS Champ: 0
That would be a really good compromise that I hadn't thought of when making the proposal. I'd be all for that.
I'd be open to that, but we're adding a lot of things that are becoming hard to keep track of.
World Champion 2018, 2021, 2026, 2030, 2035, 2037, 2039
AL Champion 12 times
FCM Best Record-Holder - 121-41 2028
Overall Record: 3530-1978 .641%
This might have already been put into the rules and if so that's fine, but I personally don't agree with this. We already have 11 comp picks this year. Nothing wrong with it, but potentially adding more because we change a rule? I'm just not in favor of that at all. All we will be doing is making the teams that finish with bad records, we just push them further and further away from picking in the top spots in the crucial 2nd and 3rd rounds.

I just want to say that I really like the FA system that is used in this league, I like it more than formula systems, because the GM gets to choose if he thinks a player is worth it or not. We already have a ton of trading in this league, more than any other league that I've ever played in, which is fine, but so what if an extra few trades aren't made because you are dealing for a player mid-season and you can't offer him comp?

I think the league should go with either keeping it like it is, or have only Type A fallback (getting rid of Type B fallback) and you're allowed to trade for guys mid-season and able to offer them Type A comp.

If the league chooses to let it go into effect like matty said about they can be offered Type B fallback, then it is what it is, but as long as the league is ok with possibly having 15+ comp picks in the future (some years it will be less, some years possibly more), plus the teams that really need those early 2nd and 3rd round picks, being pushed back further and further away then that's fine.
I completely see where you are coming from Rockybull.

I have thought about offering some above average players Comp B in the future. I can very easily see 20 or more Comp picks next year in free agency. A 7 million dollar risk of offering a player Comp B is worth the risk of gaining a draft pick.

It wouldn't be so bad, but it is always the better teams that are gaining 90% of these picks.

I say we have Type A comp only. Either resign those Comp B guys or let them go free agency. That is a much better choice then having a top 3rd round pick being more like a 4th round pick.
Lad

Dodgers 2036 - Present
Padres 2026-2035
23 NL West Championships
9 Wild Cards
National League Champion 2057, 2060, 2095, 2115
WORLD SERIES CHAMPION 2057
I think I tend to side with rocky. I've been vocal in the past about how much I dislike comp picks pushing back the second round.
World Champion 2018, 2021, 2026, 2030, 2035, 2037, 2039
AL Champion 12 times
FCM Best Record-Holder - 121-41 2028
Overall Record: 3530-1978 .641%
If you only have type A the FA classes will be even worse. There's an easy way to stop having good teams reap the reward of type b comp picks. Stop bidding on them. If you are one of the teams not bidding on them then I apologize, but in that case the majority is ok with good teams getting comp picks.
Before a player had to qualify to be eligible for compensation.

Now we will have more comp picks because any player above average could possible be eligible for compensation.
Lad

Dodgers 2036 - Present
Padres 2026-2035
23 NL West Championships
9 Wild Cards
National League Champion 2057, 2060, 2095, 2115
WORLD SERIES CHAMPION 2057
Yes but that still doesn't change the fact that if you don't want good teams getting more picks just don't bid on their players and they won't.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »