• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2043 Draft Analysis
1st :FLA: Selected SP John MacLewis
We can all admit this is going to be biased. I selected him at 1, because I thought he was the safest bet at being an ace. There could be potentially better pitchers, but I did not want to take a risk with the pick, and I really think MacLewis will be a number 1 starter in the future.
Rating: A

Career stats: 363-185 3.05 ERA 3139 k’s 1.11 WHIP

2nd :OAK: Selected 3B Damian Blackburn
Blackburn is a really good 3B, and there are many differing opinions on him. One is that he will be a stud like Marv Eason was, and one of the other viewpoints, is that he will be good, but not 2nd overall draft worthy, which is where my opinion falls in. Having talked to CDawg before he made his selection, the other name he mentioned is the one I would have picked instead, but still a good prospect. However, for me pitching is also what you want to base your rebuild around, and when looking at CDawgs team, there is a lack of prospects in pitching.
Rating: B

Career Stats: .251 avg 1496 hits 269 HR’s 912 RBI’s

3rd :LAD: Selected SP Carlos Cadavieco
Cadavieco is a pitcher I think many people thought I would have taken first, and although I did like him, I thought he was the 3rd or 4th best pitcher in the draft. He has good High School numbers, and his HR/9 looks far better than MacLewis, but for me when movement starts ahead of everything else, trouble usually starts as he progresses. That being said, he is a pitcher which should also be a strong ace. Time will tell if he should have been picked 1st overall instead of MacLewis.

Career Stats: 236-166 3.43 ERA 2643 k’s 1.20 WHIP

4th :CHC: Selected 1B John Golia
I really think that CHC should have gone with many different options over a 1B at the 4th pick. We are in a league where there are many good 1B, and there are many times when you are able to get a good 1st baseman at the end of the first round or even in the second. I think a pitcher would have worked best with Jason here, especially when the 2nd best pitcher in my book was still available.
Rating: C

Career Stats: .227 avg 1017 hits 258 HR’s 774 RBI’s

5th :CLE: Selected SP Paul Reinhold
Steal of the draft right here. Paul Reinhold in my eyes was the second best pitcher in the draft, to me, looked very similar to Alejandro Iraldo on Florida, but like always is not a guarantee, but I think he will be potentially a hall of fame player and may actually have been the best pitcher in this draft. Good Job Hick.
Rating: A+

Career Stats: 196-118 3.93 ERA 2145 k’s 1.20 WHIP

6th :NYY: Selected SP Tom Sutherland
To me this was a poor choice of the draft, because even though he is a pitcher, he looks to be a pitcher which will have high movement and average everywhere else. Not to mention he has low health, which is a problem in this league with injuries. I think there were many better pitchers available, and I did not even have Sutherland on my draft list. The next two picks were definitely better choices than Sutherland.
Rating: C-

Career Stats: 47-45 4.25 ERA 616 k’s 1.35 WHIP

7th :LAA: Selected SP Chris Johns
At this selection Johns was a great pick by Chris. I think he will be good, not 100% sure how good, but he probably should not have lasted this long in my opinion. The only downside I can see with him is that his movement is already so high compared to everything else. There may have been one pitcher that I would have taken over him, but Chris did not get as long to scout as everyone else, and the other pitcher was a much bigger risk.

Career Stats: 51-91 5.14 ERA 642 k’s 1.50 WHIP

8th :SEA: Selected SP Hirohito Hayashi
Matty and I talked about this pitcher, and we both felt that he would be very good, although he is a bit more of a risk, which in my opinion puts him with Reinhold who was drafted earlier. His high school numbers are bad, but really I do not always look at that when drafting. I feel that Matty could not have made a better pick here, and Hayashi has the other vitals I love in pitchers and that will likely be higher power and movement.

Career Stats: 75-135 5.20 ERA 1254 k’s 1.55 WHIP

9th :TBR: Selected 2B Brent Flori
I like that Tampa broke away from the trend in the first of pitching and took a hitter and at a position that is very weak in the league and that is at 2B. I was a little surprised that he took him when he had Troup, but overall I think Flori will be a very solid 2B. The one thing to worry about with Flori is his eye. However, sometimes eye is not everything so if he develops to have good power, and contact, this will be a very good pick.
Rating: B+

Career Stats: .286 1747 hits 294 HR’s 997 RBI’s

10th :SEA: Selected RP Keith Chell
Matty and I ironically also discussed Chell last night too, although we had two different opinions on him. It will be interesting to see how far he advances as he ages, but taking an RP early in the draft can be a good thing when there are so few relievers. There have been rumblings that Matty may stretch him into an SP, and if that is the case he could either be really good, or totally flop. Since Matty has done that in the past, I feel that he has a better feeling that Chell will work out, but the best thing about this pick, is that there is so much room for Chell to improve that he could very well be another pick that could be one of the best in this draft.

Career Stats: 68-74 4.31 ERA 810 k’s 44 sv’s 1.42 WHIP

11th :SFG: Selected SP James Allen
Once again a common theme in this draft is the pitcher, and Vertigo in my opinion made a great selection in getting James Allen. His numbers suggest he is a bit of a home run scare, but overall I think this was a great selection for the rebuilding Giants, and will fit nicely in with the rest of the pitchers that he has in his farm. He is a player I thought might have been able to crack the top 10 as well.

Career Stats: 142-122 3.99 ERA 1665 k’s 1.21 WHIP

12th :SDP: Selected SP Eric Friedlander
Eric Friedlander will be in heaven in San Diego. A pitchers park, he should develop very solidly with his control already high, and Maverek has begun to develop young talent with that team. To me this was probably the last safe pick that could be taken for pitchers, but there is still the potential of other pitchers who could be just as good, who are higher risk and maybe higher reward.
Rating: A-

Career Stats: 11-31 5.42 ERA 191 k’s 1.51 WHIP

13th :CHW: Selected OF Bryan Tullis
To me I feel this was not the greatest pick that JHC could have made, but that is because I do not like low contact hitters with above average power. I think at best if he were to hit his peak he might get to 70 contact, but I would not be surprised if he was lower than that, and even at that his power is not great either only in the 70’s currently. What also hurts, is the fact that Chicago already has similar talent like Howard Reeves, and Dave Miller one at OF and the other at 1B.
Rating: D

Career Stats: .211 avg 1478 hits 480 HR’s 1191 RBI’s

14th :DET: Selected SP Jim McPheidiran
I think this was a very solid pick by ARod. I do not believe he has jumped either and depending how his first jump goes, he could be quite good. He does have the higher power, and low control, but it is very possible that he could be a very good pick by Detroit, and at 14, I think Detroit lucked out in getting him.

Career Stats: 97-106 4.76 ERA 1597 k’s 1.46 WHIP

15th :MIN: Selected SP George Marks
I think this was a great pick by Minnesota. He is so far away from peaking, he is super young, and his vitals are fairly good for someone who is 16 as well. His high school numbers are not great, but he should be good depending on how he develops. The one big negative about this player, is he may not be ready for 7-8 seasons, and if TheNation is making a long rebuild this is great, but if he was hoping to make a short one then it does not help that much. Still a great pick up where I really think this is another pick like Reinhold and Hayashi that is high risk high reward.

Career Stats: 252-182 3.45 ERA 2651 k’s 1.20 WHIP

16th :STL: Selected CA Kirk Wareing
Well once again I think Goddisciple has made a pick that no one will really think much of and we will see it being another good pick by him in 5 years. To be perfectly honest I did not look much at him really, but he looks to have some really good contact and power numbers, has above average eye, and his defense is pretty good outside of range. He will be another one of those players where if he jumps he could be another steal in this draft, or if he does not then he may become a bust. He also does not have as much room to move from overall to peak as some other players, but at this point I know GD knows what he is doing.

Career Stats: .242 512 hits 41 HR’s 229 RBI’s

17th :MIL: Selected SP Theo Ring
This is one of those interesting picks, Theo Ring does look to have pretty decent vitals, but he is also one of the players that dropped between Spring Training and draft day. As always I am more hesitant to picking a player who has dropped, because sometimes they do not jump back up. I know Rocky is usually fairly good with making picks as well, but at this point there are a few other pitchers I might have decided to go with before picking Ring.
Rating: B-

Career Stats: 74-61 4.12 ERA 616 k’s 1.25 WHIP

18th :SDP: Selected CF Dave Tomkinson
He is better than Bryan Tullis in my opinion, but is still one of those players I do not like, especially in a pitchers park. Now he has a much better shot to have his contact in the mid 70s, and his power should easily hit in the 90s along with good eye, and good defense, but still in a pitchers park I have always felt more secure with an outfielder who had higher contact and a little lower power than to be a huge power guy when he actually is able to make contact. However, at this selection I do feel there may have been one outfielder who may have been better, although a lot younger.
Rating: C+

Career Stats: .224 avg 378 hits 93 HR’s 288 RBI’s

19th :ARI: Selected SP Brian Tikaran
I will not say I am in love with this pick, but I really do like this selection by Rhendricks this far in the draft. He is another one of those pitchers that time will tell how good he is, but I really see him as a good 2-3 pitcher with great control and movement, and depending on many things could even end up being a number 1. At this selection I really do not think Rhendricks could have made a better pick, especially with his farm really like pitching prospects for the future.

Career Stats: 136-104 3.97 ERA 1436 k’s 1.25 WHIP

20th :KCR: Selected SP Joe MacConachie
I really like this pick by Mike and to be honest really wanted him, and was hoping to get him at 30. I think he should develop into a very good player, and should develop very nicely with him already have good control and being young. Should he get a good bump he could easily be in the high 80s low 90s peak, as he was an 87 peak at ST before he had his birthday.

Career Stats: 64-63 4.68 ERA 486 k’s 27 sv’s 1.40 WHIP

21st :COL: Selected OF Raphael Fusano
To be honest I would have to say this may have been the second worst pick in the first round. I think Fusano has less chance of being good than Tullis. Although it may be very close, as Fusano does have higher contact and might even get to the 80s, he does not hit righties at all, his power is mainly against lefties, he has no eye, his fielding is below average. To me there are many things that make me not want him even in the second round. Not to mention the best OF in my opinion was still available for a few more picks.
Rating: D-

Career Stats: .269 avg 817 hits 132 HR’s 503 RBI’s

22nd :MIN: Selected SP Mike Devere
He looks like he could be a solid pitcher, but I may not rank him any higher than maybe a 3 or 4. His high school numbers are atrocious, his vitals are not much higher than his overall, and really he may hit that 3-4 or he may just completely bust, and that is usually what happens near the end of the first round. I do think there were some better pitchers, mainly because I did draft one who I liked more, and really I did not look at Devere even in round 2 when I made my list.
Rating C+

Career Stats: 18-24 5.35 ERA 241 k’s 1.55 WHIP

23rd :ATL: Selected SP Andy Smith
Stang is a good guy, and I think he happened to make a pretty decent selection with the 23rd pick. I definitely liked Smith over Devere, but he is another one of those pitchers where I feel like he needs a good jump before the end of the year or else he may end up being a dud. His vitals are also not that great based on his overall, and still I think there was a better pitcher available.

Career Stats: 17-40 5.90 ERA 252 k’s 1.53 WHIP

24th :NYM: Selected SP Rich Baber
My divison rival for many years, Corey always seems to be able to pull some decent talent out of the first round. I like probably right around the other two previous pitchers, but of the three maybe the least, and that is due to his birthday being July 1st. He is a player that will really need a jump or he will be a complete bust in my books. His high school and college numbers are better than the other two and maybe that will be a bonus for him, but overall I am not a huge fan of this pick, but at the same time it is sometimes hard to distinguish the difference of talent at this level.

Career Stats: 137-91 3.54 ERA 1105 k’s 1.26 WHIP

25th :FLA: Selected SP Victor Deazo
Considering the previous three picks were all pitchers who I thought were worse than Deazo, I have to say that I am quite pleased with my own pick at 25. To be fair I completely forgot I had 25th pick, and so I was expecting to get Deazo at 30. Deazo was the last pitcher in the first round, and really I think was the best pick since Mike picked at 20. Control and Power both above his overall, movement the lowest, but also the most likely to jump, and his high school and college numbers are very good. As always if he gets a good jump than this could be a really good pick, and if he does not jump then there is always the chance he busts, but compared to the last 5 picks, I think Florida did a very good job in getting Deazo at 25.

Career Stats: 116-96 4.25 ERA 1518 k’s 1.21 WHIP

26th :MIN: Selected OF Sammy Corrales
TheNation redeems himself with this pick at 26. As much as I disliked his pick at 22nd, he ends up getting the best OF in the first round in my opinion at pick 26th. Corrales looks to be a type of player who will have high contact, low to middle power, average eye, and fairly decent defense. He is also only 16, so with Marks he will be another one of those players that in 6-8 years will be a stud in my opinion. He could not have gotten a better player at 26 in my opinion.

Career Stats: .277 avg 913 hits 58 HR’s 306 RBI’s 108 SB’s

27th :CIN: Selected OF Carlos Helaga
JPS may have gotten robbed with Corrales just being taken before he got to pick, but he ended up picking an OF who I think may be the worst pick of the first round. He has no contact, low power, average speed, average eye, and to top it all off his defense makes him a DH or LF in my opinion. He is only 17 so he may be able to jump and get slightly better, but I doubt that by the time he peaks he will even be wanted as a bench player.
Rating: D-

Career Stats: .224 avg 541 hits 130 HR’s 360 RBI’s 73 SB’s

28th :SDP: Selected 2B Speedy Prazeres
Maverek made a decent pick with his 28th selection, but not necessarily a great one either. He could end up with average contact, decent power and an average eye, but really the best thing he has is defense. He has some very good utility that he could play 2B or 3B, and that is always good. I would project that he will only ever be a bench player, especially when playing in a hitters park in San Diego.

Career Stats: .235 avg 418 hits 69 HR’s 249 RBI’s

29th :STL: Selected 1B Juan Birrueta
I really am surprised that GD took another 1B when he has one already who is a year older and far better than Birrueta. If I was GD I might have taken the player he took in compensation pick versus this player, but with the two picks it may not matter that much. However, I do not even think Birrueta is that great of a 1B as he has terrible D, below average eye, below average contact, and average power. I just do not see him being a starter on a team that GD built, so maybe he will end up being a trade piece, but I really think he needs some good jumps along the way to be anything useful.
Rating: C-

Career Stats: .241 avg 115 hits 14 HR’s 77 RBI’s

30th :FLA: Selected 3B Travis Fibbin
I may have reached for Fibbin, as I was thinking I was getting Deazo at 30 and not at 25. Also now looking back at the draft, I somehow missed Andreas Frois when looking at possible players and I think that Frois will be a better 3B than Fibbin. Time will tell how costly a mistake that might be, but with Musgrove being young, Fibbin was really just a depth move made by Florida. If he does get a nice jump then he could be fairly good with above average contact and power, a very solid eye, and outstanding defense. His high school numbers are nothing to cheer for either, so it will be very interesting what happens. However if all else fails he will be a solid bench player who can play defense and likely would do well in multiple positions.

Career Stats: .253 avg 1024 hits 126 HR’s 508 RBI’s
Florida GM: 2010 - 2032
Texas GM: 2033 - 2040
Florida GM: 2041 - 2103
Toronto GM: 2104 - ?
World Champion: Florida: 2015, 2027, 2053, 2059, 2062, 2064 Texas: 2037
NL Champion: 2014, 2015, 2020, 2027, 2030, 2037 2048, 2050, 2053, 2059, 2062, 2064
Best Season Record: 117-45 (2060)
2011 - 2032: 2263 - 1359 .625%
2033 - 2040: 617 - 679 .476%
2041 - 2103: 5156 - 4888 .513% 
2104 - ? 0-0 0% 

Total Record: 8036 - 6926 .537%
Best Pitcher Ever: Donovan Pace
Nice writeup Hokey!
Bal GM 2025-2032
2025 79-83 (3rd)
2026: 77-85 (3rd)
2027: 103-59 (2nd) AL Wildcard, First round exit to KCR (3-1)
2028: 81-81 (3rd)
2029: 93-69 (2nd) Missed playoffs by 2 games
2030: 75-87 (4th)
2031: 65-97 (4th)
2032: 63-99 (4th)

:DET:
2041: 86-76 (1st) AL Central Champs, First round exit to TEX (3-1)
2042: 84-78 (3rd)
2043: 99-63 (1st) AL Central Champs, First round exit to TOR (3-2)
2044: 92-70 (1st) AL Central Champs, Beat Houston (3-1), Lost ALCS to Toronto (4-3)
2045: 81-81 (3rd)

Good analysis. Only a few (below) that I differ on (or saw something else to add). I appreciate that you aren't look at Chell is only a RP in the top 10. The fact that I have a good history of converting, shown by Arrington and Whiting's conversion could mean Chell will have a good conversion as well.

CHC: Golia - I agree pitching could've been a better choice, but Golia still can be a very productive player and a C rating might be a little harsh.

STL: C Wareing - I question his arm, a lot. An average catcher arm is just over 85 in FCM and I don't see his arm even getting to 80.

SDP: CF Tomkinson - Another thing I don't like is his harsh split vitals. With better health and not so harsh splits and I think he'd have been a top 10 pick.
Cle

Cleveland Record5304-4625 (.534) [2054-2071, 2083-2104, 2110-2131]
AL Post: 15 (ALC), 11 (WC) - ALDS Win: 11 - ALCS Champ: 6 - WS Champ: 3

ALW: Mariners + Angels Record: 1072-864 (.554) [2042-2048, 2105-2110]
AL Post: 3 (ALW), 4 (WC) - ALDS Win: 3 - ALCS Champ: 1 - WS Champ: 1

NLW: Rockies + Padres Record: 3230-2753 (.540) [2017-2042, 2072-2082]
NL Post: 18 (NLW), 4 (WC) - NLDS Win: 7 - NLCS Champ: 4 - WS Champ: 0
and this is what happens I forget to put in my list. I hate working 60+ hours. good job with the analysis though
Chc

GM 2023-8/2063, 2086-
7 x division champ
1 pennant
TBR

8/2070-11/2070

NYM

2071-2079
2 x wild card game appearance

SFG

2080-2085
You could be right on Theo Ring. I saw that he dropped, but they don't always continue to drop, he could just as easily jump up to 66/92 or something similar sometime this year. Or he could stay the same and drop some peak on his b-day or continue to fall, but you can say that about a lot of guys. He has potential, so we'll see what happens, either way, I think it was worth it for me to pick him where I did, but we'll see.
(01-20-2014, 07:12 PM)hokeyrules Wrote: 24th :NYM: Selected SP Rich Baber
My divison rival for many years, Corey always seems to be able to pull some decent talent out of the first round. I like probably right around the other two previous pitchers, but of the three maybe the least, and that is due to his birthday being July 1st. He is a player that will really need a jump or he will be a complete bust in my books. His high school and college numbers are better than the other two and maybe that will be a bonus for him, but overall I am not a huge fan of this pick, but at the same time it is sometimes hard to distinguish the difference of talent at this level.

Too be fair, Andy Smith is who I wanted most out of the 3 also. Being the last one left I took who was left.
Nym GM: Mid-2010 - July 2050

Playoff Appearances: 16 (2014, 2015, 2020, 2032, 2033, 2034, 2035, 2037, 2039, 2040, 2041, 2042, 2043, 2047, 2048, 2049)
2033 FCM World Series Champion!

New York Mets Honour Roll: 3B David Wright, SS Sean Fisk, CL Brian Metcalf, SP Jeremiah Bowens, SP Matthew Belovsky

Tor GM: July 2050 - Pres

Playoff Appearances: 7 (2050, 2051, 2054, 2056, 2057, 2072, 2073)
2050 FCM World Series Champion!

Toronto Blue Jays Level of Excellence: RP Brett Cloyd
Nice article, Hokey. Made for a fun read and a good way to kill some time. And I hope you're right about Tikaran. I was very pleased that he fell to me.
Mil 2107-Current

ARI2 2033-2069; 2083-2106

2033-2069: 2,921-3,073 (.487%)
2083-2106: 1,961-1,927 (.504%)

4 Wild Card Appearances
8 National League West Championships
4 World Series Championship

Career: 4,882-5,000(.494%)
Nice job Hokey!

Further reasoning for my selection of Flori....First, the best pitchers I had identified were taken. We don't have a single MI in our minors. And although we have Troup in MLB, given our limited payroll budget, we are not going to be able to keep many of our guys as they mature. So, we have to have a flow of players at many positions in our minors. If Flori develops well, then I will have an option to turn Troup (or someone else) into a different asset.

I was also looking at Wareing since I need a catcher too, but I liked Flori better. This draft was thin at middle infield and catcher, which were my key draft needs.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »