• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Agent Extensions
Perhaps some kind of rule should be introduced to stop Agent McInnis players from signing extensions right before being traded, so that the new team doesn't have to deal with Boras.

Seems like allowing this to happen defeats the purpose of agents, the idea of keeping the player's interests in mind (well, the elite players anyways).

Haha, am I even making sense with what I'm saying here? Just saying sign & trades don't make sense b/c they never happen in MLB. It would have been like Cliff Lee signing a long term extension w/ Seattle right before they sent him to Texas
NYY GM (2010-2017):
791-507 (.610)
4-time ALCS Champs
2014 World Series Champs
While that is unrealistic. Having the player switch agents right after a guy has been traded is also unrealistic. So Id say either make it so one agent is that players agent for the whole year or continue to let this happen.
On the subject can we tar and feather Boras?
lol. Although it stinks dealing with him. He acts like he does irl so cant really fault him.
I'd like to point out that New teams quite a bit give that traded player the deal that the old team didn't want to give them. The Mets did it w/ Johan. Jets did it w/ Braylon.

Obviously that may be the reason for trading them but trading/acquiring an agent eligible player should get like a "at the deal time"(say 6-24 hour period) where the player is exempt from the grading of the agent.

Here is an example

Team A and Team B make a trade. Player 1 for players 2 and 3. Player 1 wants a new deal that Team A can't give him. He's "angry" and wants his deal.(a scenario that is common but none of our players have emotions really so we don't know)

Under the current status he'd go straight to Boras where he immediately wants too much and possibly more than what Team B is willing at the time.

In comes my idea: Agent X is the interim agent for the "re-acquaintance period" where it becomes easier(and relatively quicker) for Player 1 to get his deal from Team B.

Sort of like NY with Lincecum, instead of the 29M(am I right?) it is something like 25M(a little more "realistic)If the deal was done in the right amount of time.

Just something to think about since it shouldn't be difficult(i am assuming) to (re)sign a player who was traded simply b/c of his contract dispute.
Not all players witch agents though it all depends on thois 6 or 7 factors that wer have that give you a plus rating (Mcinnis) and minus rating (Boras). Granted I still think that whatever agent the player is under at the start of the season is what the agent should be for the entire year. Just if said player gets dealt to a larger market team have the agent ask for a little bit more money since the large market team could afford it so the agent should milk them a little more than smaller markets.
I think it's an easy call: Agents are the best/closest we can get to representing personalities IRL. There's never going to be a perfect system and I think a trade would make a player review his situation. The only means we have to mimic that is reviewing his agent situation. There's no perfect way to do it but I'm for anything that makes a GM think twice about a trade and this has been one of the more effective rules in that dept.
Houston Astros - 2012/2016/2023/2025 Champs!
Cumulative Record: 1894 - 1184 (.615%)
I think the issue is more the consistancy between the 2 agents. My example is Brantley.

+30 Community
-5 Greed
-5 Ego

Mogul states that "Brantley has settled into Cleveland very well". I offered a full NTC and a long term to get a bit of a discount. Boras offered him 15M a year over 5 years as a potential member of the Redsox, but only took a 3 year at the same rate, without a NTC.... how does that make sense? Apparently it's over finances? Well, I was 30-40M over cap when I was in the WS. Agents need to be completely unbiased, but whoever the agents are fo have access to things in the league that would normally be considered "behind closed doors".... like trade talks and veto disputes.

There needs to be consistancy in this league, and right now there doesn't seem to be much besided people submitting line-ups.

Those are my 2 cents.
This is why I don't like dealing with agents... And I know Cabrera would have been going for 25M a season IF he had even signed with me
(10-09-2010, 03:25 AM)mike Wrote: While that is unrealistic. Having the player switch agents right after a guy has been traded is also unrealistic. So Id say either make it so one agent is that players agent for the whole year or continue to let this happen.

yea then also ratings should be at start then beginning just sayng
WHY are agents still signing players? wasn't it clear that August was the cut off and they would NOT sign anyone after that? It could have been a really awesome FA if that was upheld....
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »