• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Farm System Equality!!!
Ok, please allow me to rant.

It is my opinion that in this league, like most leagues nowadays, we should have everybodies Farm System and even Medical System be equal, set at $5 million or so.

Now, everybody is going to have the occasional late round draft pick that blows up, and thats fair. However, my concern and the problem with having teams be able to set their own farm expenses is that the large market teams once again have an unfair advantage. When a team can put however much money they want towards their farm, they are going to come up with the late 2nd Round picks that peak at 97 and even late first round picks that peak at 97 or 98 alot more often than any small market team can have. The large markets already have a huge advantage in being able to afford the Big Talent FAs that no longer can be afforded by the small market teams. The one chance the small markets have is to develop their talent all at around the same time and have them peak at around the same time to make a run at the WS for a few years before they all are lost to FA. But with unequalized farm systems, the large market teams have a big advantage in this area as well because they can actually develop the young guys alot better than the small markets.

Now, with a payroll around 90 million, I am not really in either category. So, I am kind of in between the two extremes..... Now, having said that, Im certainly not painting myself as someone who is trying to stick-up for the little man. I just would like a league that can be more competitive longterm, and not become one-sided in the future.

Another point to make, is I think this would be more like real life as well. The development of prospects has been pretty even over the years in real life, not really learning towards the large markets having the advantage. Smaller markets like Tampa Bay and Florida have had very good development systems in the Majors, while the largest market of them all the Yankees havent really had a good development system in place since the 90's. But as stated previously, in this league, the big markets clearly have the advantage based on the way it is set up.

Thank you for your time. :)
Let's equalize cities & stadiums too. True equality across the board
NYY GM (2010-2017):
791-507 (.610)
4-time ALCS Champs
2014 World Series Champs
Ive been complaining about this for some time now. A low market team has no chance to compete multiple years in a row with the ridiculous expenses and contracts that players will be asking for. Having equal farm and medical will atleast cut some expenses and give everyone a fair playing field to a point.
Well, I didnt expect you to like this idea, Yankees. But thats my point. :)
The point is that the main advantage for large market teams in real life is the ability to sign the big name free agents. That is not something available to us in FCM due to the fact that the few times an elite player hits the market its when they are 35 & have only 1-2 good seasons left (if that).

If there were more realistic free agency, I wouldn't be so opposed to the idea. But if we equalize everything, then we might as well equalize cities & stadiums as well like I said.

Not to mention that the biggest free agent deal handed to a position player so far in this league was offered by a small market team

I don't expect you small market teams to like this fact, but thats my point
NYY GM (2010-2017):
791-507 (.610)
4-time ALCS Champs
2014 World Series Champs
(10-06-2010, 06:26 PM)ezpkns34 Wrote: The point is that the main advantage for large market teams in real life is the ability to sign the big name free agents. That is not something available to us in FCM due to the fact that the few times an elite player hits the market its when they are 35 & have only 1-2 good seasons left (if that).

If there were more realistic free agency, I wouldn't be so opposed to the idea. But if we equalize everything, then we might as well equalize cities & stadiums as well like I said.

I don't expect you small market teams to like this fact, but thats my point

You're right about the free agency, but farm spending in mogul is the equivalent of magic pixie dust. Run the test single player if you don't believe me, run 10 sims with your farm number one and you'll pump out players left and right. Run it 10 times at zero and watch the very same players suck. I understand you're point, but you're consistently dismissive of how unrealistic this aspect of mogul is.

That said - the cap system is effective in my eyes.
As I have pointed out privately in the staff forum, these issues have been addressed:

1) We offered smaller market teams a choice: Caps on budgets or Revenue Sharing. It was an overwhelming choice for caps.

2) All cities had real city population, per capita income and growth information put into the game unless it was detrimental (negative growth in Detroit, for example). Therefore EVERY team has experienced a boost to their base budgets.

3) Inflation is on, meaning that although demands and base salaries go up so does revenue every year to compensate for it.

Lastly, MIL/TBR you've taken mid market teams and flirted with the playoffs, if not made the playoffs, every year of FCM's existence including a Championship for MIL. I think many of your complaints are invalidated by your very track records. You've done more with your franchises in this universe than either franchise could/will do with theirs IRL, IMO (back 2 back abbreviations - nice!). I think your issues are more with just how baseball works not with how we run FCM.
Houston Astros - 2012/2016/2023/2025 Champs!
Cumulative Record: 1894 - 1184 (.615%)
I see the point you are trying to make but as Ive argued before it will create way too much money league wide. So if we do this wed need to cap how much money a team is allowed to have aswell or else the big markets will simply have a bigger stash of money to further raise FA prices.
Well, I won my championship in 2011 when my team was still young and hadnt hit arbitration yet. Now that these players have hit arbitration, I cant afford to have any type of Farm system while also staying competitive. My point is, large market teams can buy FAs, keep their payroll very high, and yet still build up their farm system by putting 40 million dollars into Farm spending. Therefore, they should never have any rebuild or anything because they are able to do both at the same time. When you can only do one or the other, when your ML players get too old, you are in for a nice 5-7 year rebuild before you are relevant again because you were never able to develop any players while staying competitive.
(10-06-2010, 07:00 PM)dejota Wrote: As I have pointed out privately in the staff forum, these issues have been addressed:

1) We offered smaller market teams a choice: Caps on budgets or Revenue Sharing. It was an overwhelming choice for caps.

2) All cities had real city population, per capita income and growth information put into the game unless it was detrimental (negative growth in Detroit, for example). Therefore EVERY team has experienced a boost to their base budgets.

3) Inflation is on, meaning that although demands and base salaries go up so does revenue every year to compensate for it.

Lastly, MIL/TBR you've taken mid market teams and flirted with the playoffs, if not made the playoffs, every year of FCM's existence including a Championship for MIL. I think many of your complaints are invalidated by your very track records. You've done more with your franchises in this universe than either franchise could/will do with theirs IRL, IMO (back 2 back abbreviations - nice!). I think your issues are more with just how baseball works not with how we run FCM.

Caps yes, but not increasing Caps.

But on another note yanks is right.

And you won the WS and now your paying the price? Whose fault is that?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »