• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The File
(07-24-2010, 04:27 PM)dejota Wrote: The point is, like we predicted when the original talent questions were raised, it'll take about 3 years for everything to return to the normal levels. If you look at the base file on BBM you'll see there's only 2000 players. The entire model is dependent on having about that quantity of players, so by starting w/ 3000 we forced it to do too much.

Thoughts?

http://www.sportsmogul.com/vbulletin2/sh...p?t=203114
NYY GM (2010-2017):
791-507 (.610)
4-time ALCS Champs
2014 World Series Champs
(07-24-2010, 03:25 PM)dejota Wrote: I haven't noticed players peaking under the age of 23 very much. That said no baseball player peaks before 23, IMO. I have been annoyed by the mass peaking during the offseason, but most everyone has a bday during that period or no bday and therefore defaults to Jan 1st. I increased the avg peak start by 10% but it seems each 10% only counts for 1/2 of a year so it may have done absolutely nothing.

In the original file setting edits I set each 'Variation During Development" to +10% (Aging Randomness, Draft Predictability, and HOF Careers)

I made a mistake by increasing the aging randomness, it's why we're experiencing seemingly more random career paths. I think if we lowered that setting a bit our player's career projections would be a bit more predictable.

Lastly, I didn't notice players peaking during ST as much as the sim from FA to ST am I missing something?

Thoughts?

I don't have the file in front of me, but I know Daniel McDaniel, who's 22, magically became just a 77/77 this ST. I can't remember who else did this, but he wasn't the only one. I have to imagine other teams have similar examples. It was part of the ST file where a bunch of people noticed that peaks just disappeared. Maybe others have more examples. (sorry, not on my usual PC) I remember Mike and DanielG commenting on it at the time of ST.

Maybe the game says that the 10% increase to peak start would only affect half a year, but actual results indicate differently. We seem to have a shitload of 20-23 year olds that are getting into the 90s in a hurry. Maybe the population will level off, but it has seriously fucked with player development to this point. Hordes of players that should have developed normally were rushed to their peak and now culled by the file's auto-correction. Pardon my language, but that fucking sucks.

And my last small concern isn't so much that careers are diving, it's the inexplicable small drops that are weird. Brett Wallace still counts as a 90+, but why did he go from 94 to 90 with a killed health rating? Why is Josh Vitters CRUSHING AAA pitching for the second straight year and can't get a jump while guys who are hitting for shit in the minors jumping ahead of him? Ditto several of my young pitchers.

Just to be clear, I'm using my own guys as examples because I study them, not because I feel it is horribly unjust because they're mine. I just know them best and the results make no sense to me. If Vitters was hitting .220 I got nothing to complain about other than my own poor development or evaluation - but he's KILLING the ball and I haven't got an increase out of him in over a year. The opposite thing happened with Wallace, I called him up as a seemingly failed spec, and then out of nowhere he erupted into a superstar. That's great for me, but that's a shitty way for teams to develop - it takes any skill out of GMing.

I understand randomness and all that, but it appears to be wildly randomn. Hopefully your fix will help, but it is extremely frustrating as someone who really looks into the details.

EZ's link seems to confirm what Scotty said - Mogul 2011 just plain sucks as a long term sim.
Just so you know Andy the statistics in anything but the MLB in this game are only cosmetic as in no matter what thier ratings r it doesnt effect how they will do in the minors
(07-24-2010, 10:19 PM)mike Wrote: Just so you know Andy the statistics in anything but the MLB in this game are only cosmetic as in no matter what thier ratings r it doesnt effect how they will do in the minors

Oh I know, but it is indicative of how talented they are in relation to what level they're at. I don't think it's completely cosmetic - if you put a 90 rated guy in A ball he'll kill the ball based on his vitals, but I do understand your point that there isn't a causal connection between the two.

It's my experience in prior versions of mogul that their minor league performances are usually a good indication of when they will see an overall boost. It appears much more randomn in 2011.

Mike, weren't you one of the people who noticed the dramatic difference in ST?
Yeah I noticed a lot of the guys I had traded away having their peak drop. On the same token though I figured that would happen because I knew we were inflated. With that combined with the fact everyones bday falls on the default Jan.1st Im not overly suprised that this happened.
That post and those stats are from BBM2010...unless I'm missing something (or haven't finished reading)

EDIT: Okay I finished reading, this is supposedly fixed in 2011 but no clarification to how it was fixed.
Houston Astros - 2012/2016/2023/2025 Champs!
Cumulative Record: 1894 - 1184 (.615%)
Speaking of the file, have u edited the Amateurs yet DJ? The draft is scheduled for this monday

[Image: PittsburghPirates.jpg] GM  2010-2017:  572-724  .441 W%
        Best Year: 2015: 86-76 (3rd NL Cent)
Yankees GM: 2019-2022ish
(07-24-2010, 10:37 PM)mike Wrote: Yeah I noticed a lot of the guys I had traded away having their peak drop. On the same token though I figured that would happen because I knew we were inflated. With that combined with the fact everyones bday falls on the default Jan.1st Im not overly suprised that this happened.

Hmmm, but I was referring to the peak completely disappearing. Drops I know we have to expect in ST, but this year's seemed particularly bad with a number of players peaking at the same time.
Why are good players in 100% of the other files, such garbage in this one (one coming to mind is Jose Reyes)? I am also noticing 22-23 peak ages.
Code:
Age      # of Peaked Players
20                   0
21                   1
22                  11
23                  32
24                 178

Average peak age in this file would appear to be 24
(07-24-2010, 10:55 PM)dejota Wrote: That post and those stats are from BBM2010...unless I'm missing something (or haven't finished reading)

EDIT: Okay I finished reading, this is supposedly fixed in 2011 but no clarification to how it was fixed.

Haha, yeh, the reply to that thread is in regards to BM2k10. But that thread was made just a couple weeks ago and was linked so you guys could, you know, post in it supporting the idea
NYY GM (2010-2017):
791-507 (.610)
4-time ALCS Champs
2014 World Series Champs
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »