• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The File
so I know this seems to be a big debate in this league... but I know there are ways to adjust the settings so that ratings dont dive so drastically and to control how much talent comes into the league. However, as a person who just joined, it is very clear there is a large discrepancy in talent for young players. Bad teams will never rebuild if draft talent isnt good enough to eventually reach the level of the top talent in this league. Incoming draft talent needs to be better (Im sure someone already said this but I wasnt about to read through 4 pages and I felt the need to give my 2 cents anyway)
(07-27-2010, 02:23 AM)RomRulez Wrote: so I know this seems to be a big debate in this league... but I know there are ways to adjust the settings so that ratings dont dive so drastically and to control how much talent comes into the league. However, as a person who just joined, it is very clear there is a large discrepancy in talent for young players. Bad teams will never rebuild if draft talent isnt good enough to eventually reach the level of the top talent in this league. Incoming draft talent needs to be better (Im sure someone already said this but I wasnt about to read through 4 pages and I felt the need to give my 2 cents anyway)

I completely agree with this, this is my one concern about the league right not - expecially coming from a team that is trying to rebuild. I thought the draft last night was a little on the weak side.

[Image: PittsburghPirates.jpg] GM  2010-2017:  572-724  .441 W%
        Best Year: 2015: 86-76 (3rd NL Cent)
Yankees GM: 2019-2022ish
First of all, know that I'm working my ass off to get to the bottom of this mess and as long as the league is alive I won't stop researching ways to improve the file w/out compromising its integrity.

That said, I can't just increase the sliders in '11. Due to the talent cap, just increasing talent w/out increasing the percentages or total population would only last, at most, one season. During the off season mogul will undo or redistribute most of those efforts. So in the interest of not using a band-aid or having a team's entire year undone by redistribution in the off season I have to be diligent and patient with changes.

Lastly, the best team in this league has an overall rating of 96. So while we may not have enough talent currently, at least the top teams aren't dynasties which was a very consistent problem w/ 2010 and previous editions.
Houston Astros - 2012/2016/2023/2025 Champs!
Cumulative Record: 1894 - 1184 (.615%)
When will you plan to make those changes Dejota? What time frame are you working under?

I for one thought the draft had much more depth of talent but was incredibly weak in top-end talent. We're seeing a lot more turnover lately so I'd hate to see that become a pattern because of the file. It doesn't take a whole lot of inspection to see the problems we're having so it's a bit worrisome that we'll be able to keep chugging along at this rate.
Okay after looking at a few other leagues' files in-depth I conclude our best bet is to increase the percentage of the 80s/90s peaks/overalls across the board. Not by too much but this was something we initially discussed when the file seemed inflated and had decided the talent pool would come crashing down.

I don't think any of us anticipated it doing this. So that's why I propose we up those percentages a bit, but here's where I need more input.

We obviously need more prospects across the board, but if I don't bump the 90s/80s peaks with it they'll never amount to anything. I need to know if the peanut gallery feels that we need more (or less) prospects coming to fruition and if so at what clip?

I'm going to bump everything proportionality tonight before the sim (I'll take it if you're reading this Scotty, so live sim yay!) because I agree that sooner is better than later when it comes to changes. But if you feel we need more prospects coming to fruition we'll have to bump the 80s/90s overalls a little more as well...

So let me know and give me feedback, especially if you think this change won't help or even hurt.
I like the idea. In the first season of the file we had way, way too many high peak prospects and it was a bit decieving to long term results. Now that 2011 corrected itself (stupid coding) it's clear we don't have enough talent in the league.

I think a tick upwards for 80s and 90s peaks as well as 80s and 90s overalls would be a good move. It sucks we have to adjust midseason, but I think it's for the good of the league. Every sim is a bit more frustrating with things as they are. What are you thinking - 5-10% across the board?
I`m not exactly sure what it will do but since it won`t be too much fo an increase I`m ok with it.
i agree lets do this now and see what happens, anything at this point would be an upgrade and thanks DJ for doing all that research
We'll do a minor bump now and recheck in a month. Then save any major changes until after the season so we don't mess this season up in the process.
90s overall upped 1%
80-89 overall upped 2%
90s peak upped 1%
80-89 overall upped 2%
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »