• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Massive Rules Post (Updated 3-6-2011)
(09-04-2010, 09:28 PM)dejota Wrote: This was discussed for a long time before being decided and implemented so I don't feel this is out of blue. I don't agree with the approach of targeting players specifically b/c they're 89 w/ really good vitals, it just furthers unreality and can often times lead to a player who should be starting for a small market team riding the pine for a larger market team to the tune of 1 or 2M per season...just because of what? Good timing?

Where-as a useful but ever increasing player is a catalyst for change IRL. He's either nontendered or shipped out to a team that can use him. That either helps small market teams acquire useful talent for cheaper or infuses a generally weak free agent class and the deeper the class the better it is for small market teams. So while short term, yes it's hard to argue that it helps small market teams, but in the big picture I don't think this is a rule that should wait. I'm already forced into that position myself w/ Bourbon and Bourgeious (although I'm getting no interest for some reason that's beyond me...) when in reality I would have to chose between an expensive ass bench that could potentially prevent me from re-signing one of my big boys or nontending and/or trading them.

TO each of the points as best I can argue them: Discussion of this I never saw on any of the boards. As to players with an 89 over or less thats part of the stragegy with smaller teams being able to compete with major payroll teams. In most cases teams look to get mid to high 80's talent for this reason and this is a rare weapon the average team has to help save money. The third point however is one I want to stress, it hurts the value of a player when forced to trade him. When every team knows you have to trade a player because of contract they know not too offer much. Having answered these point to best of my abilities my remaining question still remains: Why was this rule implemented a thtis moment without notice for teams to adjust as suppose to next off season?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »