• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amendments?
Here's some things that seem outdated or could use some refreshing.

Waivers
Has anyone looked at the waiver rules recently? We surely have not used #3 is quite some time. It's been that a trade must posted in order for a waiver to go through. Sitting and doing nothing has been like revoking the waiver claim. And I'm sure I could find a trade where a 75+ rated player or one who has been drafted more than three years ago has been traded in a waiver deal without passing waivers. Basically, we've been following the real MLB waiver rules. In a nutshell and for easy usage in the league it would be as follows.

NORMAL WAIVERS (OFF-SEASON to JULY 31)
1. Any player may be placed on Waivers by any team.
2. Teams must note whether a player is being waiver revocable (REV) or irrevocable (IRR). If nothing is noted, the player is waived irrevocable.
3. A player may only be waived revocable once per season.
4. The team with the lowest record wins the claim.
5. A trade must posted for the waiver to be official.

POST-DEADLINE WAIVERS (AUGUST 1 to END OF SEASON)
1. Any player with MLB Service Time must past through waivers in order to be traded.
--- A player who has accumulated MLB stats, but not Service Time does NOT have to pass through waivers.
2. Teams must note whether a player is being waiver revocable (REV) or irrevocable (IRR). If nothing is noted, the player is waived irrevocable.
3. A player may only be waived revocable once per season.
4. The team with the lowest record wins the claim. League has priority.
5. A trade must posted for the waiver to be official.

This is how it works in the majors. If you're on the 40-Man Roster, you have to pass through waivers. If you're still in the minors and not on the 40-Man Roster you can be traded freely. The reason I have it that player who have accumulated MLB stats, but no service time doesn't have to pass waivers is because Mogul makes you call up a full 40-man team and you have no control over who actually plays.

Minor League Contracts
Our FA policy is set up to NOT be a first come, first serve basis. Yet when it comes to draft day (or minor league) deals, it is first come, first serve. It shouldn't be that way.

First, let's get rid of the differences in offering a draft day or minor league contract. In the end they're the same. Once a player has 6 years of service time they will be eligible for free agency. So you could sign a guy with 10 years of service time to a draft day deal and he'll be FA eligible the next off-season. All we need is the draft day deal. If you sign a guy to the bottom base offer, you get him until he's FA eligible.

Every team should be able to offer these draft day deals. Like waivers the lowest record would prevail. So (using the 2026 standings) if COL, PIT, and HOU all put in draft day offers PIT would prevail and COL or HOU would have to then offer $500K or higher to be leading the bid.

This will help so whoever is lucky enough to post the player first doesn't get exclusive draft day offer rights. In theory the player should have the greatest chance to play for the team with the lowest record and would rather a contract with a team he could actually play for rather than being a career minor leaguer on a much better team.
Cle

Cleveland Record5304-4625 (.534) [2054-2071, 2083-2104, 2110-2131]
AL Post: 15 (ALC), 11 (WC) - ALDS Win: 11 - ALCS Champ: 6 - WS Champ: 3

ALW: Mariners + Angels Record: 1072-864 (.554) [2042-2048, 2105-2110]
AL Post: 3 (ALW), 4 (WC) - ALDS Win: 3 - ALCS Champ: 1 - WS Champ: 1

NLW: Rockies + Padres Record: 3230-2753 (.540) [2017-2042, 2072-2082]
NL Post: 18 (NLW), 4 (WC) - NLDS Win: 7 - NLCS Champ: 4 - WS Champ: 0
Waivers

everything you outline here is fine by me, most of it has been what we have been doing anyways.

Agents

I havent dealt with Chaz extensively nor have a dealt with Boras at all so idk here. I think the agents are probably fine at determining fair value as they see fit on their players.

Hometowns
I think what we have is fine, i think the calculation of this gives some leeway. I dont think Latino players and any other foreign players should show any preference here.

PTBL

this is where i totally disagree, I think these should be completely avoided and always cause trouble. There is a reason we cannot trade future dp's (much to y displeasure but i totally get why)
World Champs: 2071, 2106, 2108
Added one at the bottom, Minor League Contracts.
Cle

i also agree with the draft day deals amendment and i like the idea of lowest record gets the deal when offering a draft day contract
World Champs: 2071, 2106, 2108
I agree with everything except player to be named later. No matter how these deals get scrutinized real life problems can come up and it would leave the next gm with something they may not want/or they might not even be aware of it until the time comes to move said player or pick or cash.
I'm good with everything but PTBNL. With GM turnover and other issues it's just a bad idea.
World Champion 2018, 2021, 2026, 2030, 2035, 2037, 2039
AL Champion 12 times
FCM Best Record-Holder - 121-41 2028
Overall Record: 3530-1978 .641%
First off, I don't understand the need in every off-season to make changes or tweaks to the rules. It irks me a little to have to keep taking a look to see what has or has not changed. It was disappointing to me to find out that players I traded for are no longer comp eligible because that was part of the appeal in me obtaining players around the trade deadline as a seasonal rental. I just don't understand the constant need to try and change or make your voice be heard. Just play.

Waivers - isn't that what we do right now? a little confused over what you are proposing.

Agents - Your first point, I have never really liked the whole agent system but I understand why DJ has it in place. In regards to your run in with Chaz, just because he is the easier of the 2 agents, does not mean that he is going to lay down and take whatever is offered. You also have no idea on the offer you would have obtained from Boras, most likely that would have been worse.

In regards to mileage from home, I really don't want to pull out a map quest for some of these cities. I don't know why we have to over-complicate it with more material.

You really cannot do a player to be named later because of the reason Andy stated.

Draft day contracts - I never sign people to minor league deals as far as I know DJ and Hokey do the same. We do draft day contract when a person is signed to a minor league deal or signed to the min. In terms of multiple teams going after the same FA, that makes sense that just because one team typed in draft day contract first on a thread that they should get him to that deal. That if multiple teams are interested, it would go to the lowest record.

I guess I will post this here since this is where all the idea of compensation etc started, with the changes that were done last off-season with the draft. If the draft is conducted the same this season, last season then will be my final year in the league. I did not enjoy last draft, I became frustrated with it and left after the 2nd round out of that frustration. I am not going to do that again this year. I had no idea who was up on the clock, what teams took what players previously and it really screwed with my whole draft process as I could not figure out with multiple picks on who had a chance to slide based off of previous team selections. I really don't understand why we have to take a process and over complicate it to the extreme. Seeing as the system is still in place with FA open, I will go through this off-season to make sure the LAA team is in a competitive place and come spring training I will make my formal good-bye post.

Sean
Cubs GM 2010-2021
2017 & 2019 World Champions
LAA GM 2022-2035
2028, 2029, 2032 and 2034 World Champions
That would be a shame to see you go. I understand your concern. How come you don't just select the guys in game as they are picked to keep track of who is gone? And if you need to know what team they went to write it down that way you can still know who went where, that way you know which team already pciked their 2B and won't likley be picking another one.
Mike, I entered it in the game last season so I could keep track of who was still on the board. For the whole 2nd round, I had no clue who was up, how many picks till my pick. I had to ask at least 5-6 times in that round where we were at because of stalls. Then when I was up, I had no idea what teams took what players on the board. So I had no idea if someone between me and my other 2nd round pick took in their previous picks. I felt so disorganized and at other times rushed and clueless. It is really not what I want in terms of a draft. For me the building and sustaining of success of the team is through the draft. So if I can not be effective doing my draft, then what is the point?

The majority like this system so I am not about to ask the majority to change, so I will manage my team through the off-season and step aside. I thought it was apropos to mention that fact here since it is this creation of a perfect league threads that caused my frustration with the draft in the first place.

Sean
Cubs GM 2010-2021
2017 & 2019 World Champions
LAA GM 2022-2035
2028, 2029, 2032 and 2034 World Champions
A better way would be to not follow in-game for comp picks. I post the comp round order ahead of time and update the selections as we go. It's not hard to know after the first round if there's six Type A comp picks and you have the 4th pick in round two that nine selections will be made before you're up.

As for the suggestions (Sean), they aren't going to stop. Anytime I see something that could benefit the league, I'm going to bring it up. Like the draft day deals. I'm one of the worst offenders who tries to get the thread posted before anyone else can. It shouldn't be that way.

Some things are way outdated. Like I said, "Has anyone looked at the waiver rules recently?" If we followed what is posted a lot of the waiver deals that have been done would be invalid. Things need updated. A new GM is better off just asking nagging people and asking questions rather than take the initiative themself to find out the answer.
Cle

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »