Poll: Are We Rushing Through the Playoff Race/Playoffs/Resignings?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes - let's stop and smell the roses and be more consistent with our file releases
33.33%
6 33.33%
No - We don't want people getting bored, let's just wrap things up and move on
66.67%
12 66.67%
Total 18 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Offseason Schedule
We've got to take a look at this. This poll is pretty simple and straightforward, but I want to combine that with a few suggestions:

1) I'm on board with every-day sims, but not the way we've been doing them. I understand that teams out of contention will get bored...but railroading the last two months of the season feels like an injustice to those that are competing. It also just doesn't feel right - it feels rushed and dismissive. We all put a lot of work into our teams, why are August and September any less meaningful then May and June? This change has all but killed the ability to do waiver trades.

I would suggest that if we keep every-day sims we switch to 8-10 day sims rather than 15-17. We should have 6 everyday sims or 4 normal sims. I don't care which, but the current model sucks. It feels like we're cheating everyone for the sake of a few with short attention spans. This will allow for waiver trades to return, for close contests down the stretch to be more finely managed, and for us to actually appreciate each season.

2) If we end up doing the playoffs and subsequently releasing a resigning file on a non-sim night, we have to give people at least 24 hours after a normal sim night for people to complete this. So if we do playoffs on a Thursday - they should have until Saturday. If we do it on a Wednesday - it should be until Saturday. It's unfair to expect people to be here on a night that isn't routine for a file release. If we're just going to randomnly start doing things whenever a few impatient people want, why not do the same with the draft? Just because one thing is your particular sacred cow doesn't make it any different. We release files regularly so we don't screw people over. Why we insist on doing this two years in a row with resignings is simply selfish. Give people 24 hours after a regular sim night at minimum. If you still want the offseason to go faster, here are a few suggestions:

1) cut the initial FA waiting time from 72 hours to 48 hours
2) Cut the ST process down - we don't need three sim nights of this. Sim to ST and ST can happen at the same time. Or we can sim to ST right at the outset of FA and avoid the whole process.

Personally, I don't mind a short resigning. I don't mind if the offseason is short. I haven't complained about the almost-dismissive speed through which we've flown through the last two seasons. But we're designing our entire schedule around some really short-sighted, selfish concerns. What is best for the league is to give people time to work through their resignings and to end the season at a less break-neck speed.

It's bad for the league, regardless of how I personally may feel about it. We've had a real rash of people making these kinds of decisions without thinking big picture. Separate your own preferences and think about what is best for the league first, then get emotional or committed about something. rushing through the playoff races, the playoffs, and resignings is NOT good for the league no matter how you want to spin it.
World Champion 2018, 2021, 2026, 2030, 2035, 2037, 2039
AL Champion 12 times
FCM Best Record-Holder - 121-41 2028
Overall Record: 3530-1978 .641%
I voted no but here's why. I'm ok with the way things are going right now. I think the idea for shortened sims for the lest two months of the season is a good idea, but sims every night is a good idea. i'm on board with either way. personally as someone who has been on the non-contention side and on the new-to-the-playoffs side, I mostly get anxious, so everyday sims late in the season also help with contenders too.

I agree with the shortened offseason though. In past seasons I have totally forgotten about things when the offseason takes place because we spend days and days doing FA signings. If we shorten things up there or sim straight to opening day or w/e, I think that will help too.

I voted no because I like the way things are, but changes in other areas i am not opposed to. I don't think we should make things longer though.
I have not voted for me it is a little of a and a little of b.

I am not a fan of sims everyday, however, At the end of the season to get things moving, I can understand that because the majority of teams are not in the playoff hunt, so we want to keep the interest of the majority. In regards to the amount of days, maybe what we can is add another sim in there, make the sims 12 days, this would allow us to throw in an extra sim over the past 2 months of the season, so another 24 hours for teams to work out waiver deals and teams to alter lineups based on matchups.

In regards to the FA period, I agree that we should cut that down to 48 hours from 72 on the inital period and that we can do the 2 ST sims on one night as opposed to 2. I also like your idea about siming to ST during the FA period. This will help teams in 2 fold

1) they will know the offseason changes on prospects in the system. I am sometimes reluctant to trade until I see that offseason turnover because I don't want to grab a prospect that maybe a little inflated that will drop during that sim.

and

2) rating changes on the fa class, people sometimes have the buyer remorse after that sim when a played they signed dips slightly in that file. I had a 2 pitchers that I signed a couple seasons ago that happened to me on that file. Both dipped to sub 80 rating pitchers from low 80 and they never really pitched to their potential for me.
Cubs GM 2010-2021
2017 & 2019 World Champions
LAA GM 2022-2035
2028, 2029, 2032 and 2034 World Champions
Every time we rush through things, it makes me laugh. It just shows the vast majority of this league wouldn't have been able to handle PSBL. It was a much slower paced league where we might have 3 or 4 days in between sims, not just the off-season.

Really I'm surprised this league hasn't had more problems because of how quickly we move at the end of the season. In my experiences leagues that move too fast end up hurting themselves in the long run. I don't mind the daily sims, but I do agree with Andy how we essentially make the last two months less important than the first two months.

I'd like to see this:

Day1: July 31 to August 11 (11 days simmed)
Day2: August 11 to August 22 (11 days simmed)
Day3: August 22 to September 1 (10 days simmed)
Day4: September 1 to September 13 (12 days simmed)
Day5: September 13 to September 24 (11 days simmed)
Day6: September 24 to October 5 (11 days simmed)
Day7: Playoffs
Day8: Off
Day9: Off
Day10: Re-Signings Due/ FA Opened
Day11: 1st 24 hours
Day12: 2nd 24 hours / FAs can start signing

To get to this point it's only two extra days from what we currently have. If those extra days are really going to be that much a drag then either take some meds or find something else to do.

I'm one who'll likely have my re-signings done the night they're posted and be able to be on top of the current schedule. But we do have some quality GMs who don't have that luxury. To those who aren't competing, hit up the Waiver Wire. It really is surprising to me how few teams waive players and how few teams claim players. This is a great opportunity to pick up a small piece. For a rebuilding team it could be dumping a contract (or anyone who yo won't retain) while picking up a tweener prospect.
Cle

Cleveland Record5304-4625 (.534) [2054-2071, 2083-2104, 2110-2131]
AL Post: 15 (ALC), 11 (WC) - ALDS Win: 11 - ALCS Champ: 6 - WS Champ: 3

ALW: Mariners + Angels Record: 1072-864 (.554) [2042-2048, 2105-2110]
AL Post: 3 (ALW), 4 (WC) - ALDS Win: 3 - ALCS Champ: 1 - WS Champ: 1

NLW: Rockies + Padres Record: 3230-2753 (.540) [2017-2042, 2072-2082]
NL Post: 18 (NLW), 4 (WC) - NLDS Win: 7 - NLCS Champ: 4 - WS Champ: 0
I'm not sure we will get cinsensus but my biggest two complaints are these:

1)Every day sims are fine but we should scale back the days. 12 is a nice number and would lead to a thursday playoff and help solve this:

2) lets release the resigning file on a thursday night and open FA on sunday at whatever time. our simmibg is falling in line to make that happen. It would better assure we dont screw people. Then we drop the wait to 48 hours and everybody is happy.
And I like mattys plan. i dont want non-competing teams to suffer, but nor should we crap all over the time of the season we work for. In the playoff chat DJ was criticized for not wanting to win, or dismissing the value of success. Isnt that what this schedule endorses? "screw the pkayoff teams, tyranny of the majority says we fast forward and move on"

Excuse a moment of selfishness here but fuck that. I didnt contend the first 8 or so seasons here, I took interest in the league when I floundered but I never felt the need to cheat anyone out of a pennant race.
AL Champion 12 times
(03-02-2012, 02:36 PM)mattynokes Wrote: Day1: July 31 to August 11 (11 days simmed)
Day2: August 11 to August 22 (11 days simmed)
Day3: August 22 to September 1 (10 days simmed)
Day4: September 1 to September 13 (12 days simmed)
Day5: September 13 to September 24 (11 days simmed)
Day6: September 24 to October 5 (11 days simmed)
Day7: Playoffs
Day8: Off
Day9: Off
Day10: Re-Signings Due/ FA Opened
Day11: 1st 24 hours
Day12: 2nd 24 hours / FAs can start signing

I totally agree with this. FA should not be a 72 hour wait period... thats ridiculous. 48 is plenty. And I also agree with Andy on the resignings being due in 2 days is a bit quick. But like matty said, the daily/shorter late season sims are a great idea to me. Because those daily 2 week sims are a real bitch sometimes to end the season. It just feels like you have less control over your team. I understand we want to get a move on to the next season for the non contenders.. but is that all this league is about? [No.] waiting an extra couple days during that part of the year should not hurt anybodies feelings.
Nyy GM 2024 - 2030
Atl GM 2030 - 2033
If you want to add an extra sim to the end of the season then thats all fine and dandy with me. However waivers is a joke. People waive players serioulsy for the sake of making a post half the time it seems. A lot of teams waiving players hope for some sort of gold in a trade. If teams didnt want these guys all year long theres a good chance they don't really want them now. So I don' think things should be extended simply to make more time for potential waiver trading. All waivers should be IRR. That way you won't see people waiving half their team with basically no intention of really moving anyone. It's pretty much a waste of time sifting through all those players when they don't plan on moving them anyway.
We're not going everyday for a week straight...jeez.
Houston Astros - 2012/2016/2023/2025 Champs!
Cumulative Record: 1894 - 1184 (.615%)
Wow...I really can't believe we have this many selfish people, this is incredible. Poor DLee - if he was this selfish and whiny we could have just done one sim seasons for a few years for him so he didn't get "bored".

Can we at least do Sean's idea and switch to 5 post-deadline sims and shorten to 48 hours?
AL Champion 12 times
(03-03-2012, 04:55 AM)mike Wrote: If you want to add an extra sim to the end of the season then thats all fine and dandy with me. However waivers is a joke. People waive players serioulsy for the sake of making a post half the time it seems. A lot of teams waiving players hope for some sort of gold in a trade. If teams didnt want these guys all year long theres a good chance they don't really want them now. So I don' think things should be extended simply to make more time for potential waiver trading. All waivers should be IRR. That way you won't see people waiving half their team with basically no intention of really moving anyone. It's pretty much a waste of time sifting through all those players when they don't plan on moving them anyway.

Waivers are just fine. Some use it properly, while most others don't. You are at least right on the part where teams want to strike gold for waiver trades. Unless you're waiving a very good player with both a good amount of team control and contract situation, you're not getting face value. For 1.5 months it isn't worth giving up much for player who'll hit the FA market.

In the MLB most every player hits the waiver wire post-deadline. So, it being a waste is just your own opinion. I usually am able to work over waiver deals (either me waiving or claiming) every year, so I'm doing something right. People just need educated on what to expect from a waiver deal.
Cle

Cleveland Record5304-4625 (.534) [2054-2071, 2083-2104, 2110-2131]
AL Post: 15 (ALC), 11 (WC) - ALDS Win: 11 - ALCS Champ: 6 - WS Champ: 3

ALW: Mariners + Angels Record: 1072-864 (.554) [2042-2048, 2105-2110]
AL Post: 3 (ALW), 4 (WC) - ALDS Win: 3 - ALCS Champ: 1 - WS Champ: 1

NLW: Rockies + Padres Record: 3230-2753 (.540) [2017-2042, 2072-2082]
NL Post: 18 (NLW), 4 (WC) - NLDS Win: 7 - NLCS Champ: 4 - WS Champ: 0
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »