• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IFA
Can we please clarify IFA bidding for this year?

I just remember last year it being pretty confused for most people.

In my opinion, major league ready players should be offered contracts while minor league prospects should be one-time cash bids. Is this what we're doing?
That would make sense.
Cubs GM 2010-2021
2017 & 2019 World Champions
LAA GM 2022-2035
2028, 2029, 2032 and 2034 World Champions
I agree
That is the plan, the rules posted in the IFA section are correct. Option years DO NOT count towards the winning bid. IFA will be out tomorrow evening (basics).
Houston Astros - 2012/2016/2023/2025 Champs!
Cumulative Record: 1894 - 1184 (.615%)
Instead of just saying they don't count, should we say no option years allowed period?
NYY GM (2010-2017):
791-507 (.610)
4-time ALCS Champs
2014 World Series Champs
DJ, this is what the rules read:

Every year we will have 3-10 IFA's decided randomly. Myself or DJ will then post a brief description about the player with basic bio info. From there you post if you'd like to scout the player in the player's thread. From there your scouts will be allowed to visit the player and produce a scouting report. Please keep in mind this report is based off ONE controlled audition so you might not always get the most accurate information. You will then PM the agent of the player to offer a contract. All bidding will be silent and the agent will not be allowed to counter. Highest bid wins.

Scouting Fee - $1,000,000 - $ 8,000,000
Contract - Whatever you feel is appropriate
The IFA's will not be added to the file until they sign with their team.

NOTE: If you'd prefer to offer a major league contract to IFA's 18 or younger in lieu of a cash bonus, the total contract value will be taken into account but they'll only sign 3 year deals. Options aren't allowed for the sake of simplicity. OPTIONS DO NOT COUNT TOWARDS WINNING BID!

I don't think that's particularly clear cut. It still sounds like you can offer a contract to a minor leaguer.

Let's cut out all the convoluted stuff - no option years - bids with options will be disqualified, bids to minor leaguers that are contracts will be disqualified, and max cash bids to major leaguers will be disqualified.

It's just a hell of a lot easier that way - especially for you.

Maybe a write up like this:

Bids on Major League Ready players must be in the form of a contract or will be disqualified. Contracts cannot include option years.

Bids on prospects must be in the form of a one time cash bid or will be disqualified. No contracts will be accepted.
Doesn't really matter to me what the rules are on IFAs, but I agree that they need to be totally black & white, leaving no grey area for misunderstandings
NYY GM (2010-2017):
791-507 (.610)
4-time ALCS Champs
2014 World Series Champs
So with the new waiver rule, if you give an 18 year old or younger player a major league contract then another team could claim them?
That new waiver rule was just a suggestion as far as I know. Especially considering the lack of support that it saw. But yes, as the rule is suggested, an 18 year old IFA signed to a MLB deal would be eligible to be claimed on waivers if the 18 year old wasn't on your starting roster
NYY GM (2010-2017):
791-507 (.610)
4-time ALCS Champs
2014 World Series Champs
(09-06-2010, 09:55 PM)Geaux Blue Wrote: So with the new waiver rule, if you give an 18 year old or younger player a major league contract then another team could claim them?

Hopefully this year anyone that offered a major league contract to an 18 year old gets their offer dismissed.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »