• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Injury Recoup
To me this sounds liek a lot of extra work for basically no gain. You would be getting a pittance back on contracts that are small anyway. It really only makes sense for the bigger contracts of the league which only the big markets can afford anyway, no point in giving them any more money back if they want to sign a health risk.
(01-25-2012, 11:46 PM)mike Wrote: To me this sounds liek a lot of extra work for basically no gain. You would be getting a pittance back on contracts that are small anyway. It really only makes sense for the bigger contracts of the league which only the big markets can afford anyway, no point in giving them any more money back if they want to sign a health risk.

Is this because you don't understand it? Because it's not a lot of extra work. As I said, I'm willing to create an Excel calculator. It would be as simple as downloading the calculator and entering in the contract and insurance percent information. Something like....

Years Left In Contract: User enters number
Yearly Salary: User enters number
Insurance Amount Desired: User enters percent (20, 40, 60, etc...)
Insurance Length Desired: User enters number

Insurance Premium: Excel Auto-Lists Price

Injury Amount: User enters number (7, 14, 21, 28, etc...)
Team Reimbursement: Excel Auto-Lists Price
-----

If a premium and the reimbursement is a certain percent , then long or short contract, high amount or low amount it'll be the same. It'll just have a bigger counting effect on the larger contracts. Really whether it's more useful for larger or smaller contracts is personal preference.
Cle

Cleveland Record5304-4625 (.534) [2054-2071, 2083-2104, 2110-2131]
AL Post: 15 (ALC), 11 (WC) - ALDS Win: 11 - ALCS Champ: 6 - WS Champ: 3

ALW: Mariners + Angels Record: 1072-864 (.554) [2042-2048, 2105-2110]
AL Post: 3 (ALW), 4 (WC) - ALDS Win: 3 - ALCS Champ: 1 - WS Champ: 1

NLW: Rockies + Padres Record: 3230-2753 (.540) [2017-2042, 2072-2082]
NL Post: 18 (NLW), 4 (WC) - NLDS Win: 7 - NLCS Champ: 4 - WS Champ: 0
I'm still against it. If you sign/draft a health risk, then pay the consequence if he gets injured. Any idea that brings money back in the league (which this idea would since you can basically gurantee that anyone who uses this on a player, that player will likley get hurt during the year due to the low health to begin with) is a bad idea. There is boatloads of cash floating around in game and in team banks, making money practically useless which is why we are seeing less draft picks moved every year for simple cash transactions. Now if you made a rule saying you can only use this insurance on guys who are not a health risk (say 80 health and higher is not a health risk), than I can see this being usefull. That way there would be a good chance you woulodn't be able to make a claim since he likley won't get hurt, thus money making its way out of the league.
Here's my issue w/ the cash. There should be a realistic cap system. Philly? really? They are allowed to get 80M a year yet don't lose much in terms of budget? If I was a phillies fan and had 8 of the last years a losing team including an extremely embarrassing 37 and 54 wins I wouldn't go, which would hurt the fan base which ultimately should kill his team(which is what I'm assuming happened in pittsburgh, and a bit more in the smaller cities like cincy and KC b/c I know they were all solid teams in the 70's and 80's).

You wanna complain about the boatload of cash? Point the finger there first and not at a system which ultimately could help.
Oakland A's
2015-Current
(18 seasons)
1,340-1,577
74-.44-87.66
4 AL West titles
2 ALDS Series appearance
1 WS appearance
It takes cash into account in player demands in arbitration and contract negotiations not payroll when you have too much cash. I have no problem with the idea of setting up an insurance system it would actually be fairly easy to run. There would just need to be simple, strict rules guiding it so if something happened a payout is obvious.

That being said the premiums and deductibles would have to work in a manner where the house was taking money. most of the time. The insurance would also have to be purchased on a yearly basis and would be a period much like winterball. Lastly it would have to be something most of the league viewed as beneficial, I'm not sure were at that point yet.
Houston Astros - 2012/2016/2023/2025 Champs!
Cumulative Record: 1894 - 1184 (.615%)
Idea: Make injury frequency much less. Its ridiculous now. :) I had 6 starters or more with 75 day plus injuries. Guys with health ratings in the 80's even.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »