• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Expansion - sean this time
(03-05-2011, 07:07 PM)GoIrish Wrote: In regards to the hesitation of doing it this offseason, I don't know what it would matter if we did it this offseason or next in all honesty. As long as we have the rules in place and we are all in agreement on how this is going to be done. Which is going to be the major point of contention on some of the how to points.

I'm not worried personally about it being "thrust upon me" - this conversation is an attempt for league discussion.

My problem is that Nick and I both pointed out that we don't so much as have for sure GMs or cities yet, much less any other detail worked out and already we're being treated like we're whiny bitches for having concerns.

What happens when a handful of teams don't want an expansion team in their division? Or want to move leagues? Or don't like the impact of the expansion team on their market? Or don't like the expansion draft rules? Or whatever of the many, many other problems other GMs may have? (As mike beat me to posting on some of these)

If we're going to expect this kind of reaction to a couple of very valid concerns, how can anyone expect all of those concerns to be dealt with?
I could see if teams are going to lose a lot of players in an expansion draft but we are talking about 2 players at most that most likely will not be of an extreme high caliber unless they were players with high salaries teams were looking not to protect.

There will most likely (not sure of what DJ has in mind) be prospects (players in the 2016 and 2017 drafts or players 20 and younger) that are automatically protected along with your choice of protection (15 players most likely). Take my team for example, I might lose a player like Antonio Diaz (86), Doug Kalafatis (72/87) or Joe Arnold (75/88). I don't think anything that will hurt my team tremendously. So the perception that people are conveying is really not reality.

I am fine with it this season or next in all honesty, I think the argument of "need to prepare my roster" is a very selfish reason that defeats a portion of the purpose in why we are doing expansion. If the argument was "we need to work out the issues involving how to do expansion". I can handle that and understand that argument.

So I hope people will drop the "We need to wait a season so I can figure a way to best use the rules to my advantage" as a form of a valid argument. Please take a look at the big picture in this.
Cubs GM 2010-2021
2017 & 2019 World Champions
LAA GM 2022-2035
2028, 2029, 2032 and 2034 World Champions
(03-05-2011, 09:10 PM)AndyP Wrote:
(03-05-2011, 07:07 PM)GoIrish Wrote: In regards to the hesitation of doing it this offseason, I don't know what it would matter if we did it this offseason or next in all honesty. As long as we have the rules in place and we are all in agreement on how this is going to be done. Which is going to be the major point of contention on some of the how to points.

I'm not worried personally about it being "thrust upon me" - this conversation is an attempt for league discussion.

My problem is that Nick and I both pointed out that we don't so much as have for sure GMs or cities yet, much less any other detail worked out and already we're being treated like we're whiny bitches for having concerns.

What happens when a handful of teams don't want an expansion team in their division? Or want to move leagues? Or don't like the impact of the expansion team on their market? Or don't like the expansion draft rules? Or whatever of the many, many other problems other GMs may have? (As mike beat me to posting on some of these)

If we're going to expect this kind of reaction to a couple of very valid concerns, how can anyone expect all of those concerns to be dealt with?

I understand Andy, I think it was a knee-jerk reaction by DJ with some frustration because the topic was going in a direction that he had hoped. Lets please not let that be a reason to become hesitant in something that sounds like the majority wants.

I understand your concerns and DJ is putting something together to address those concerns, I only ask that people reserve judgment until they hear him out in how he wants to have this handled. I just think people are jumping the gun too much and the only counter argument that I hear is "need time to prepare my roster". Which, I don't feel is a valid reason in all honesty as I addressed in my prior post.
Cubs GM 2010-2021
LAA GM 2022-2035
I've said before, I'm not worried about the talent issues. But we don't even have certainty in the where and who and we're talking about doing this in a week?

Are we really that naive to believe all of the likely questions that come with expansion will be smoothed over nicely in a week? Let's at least be honest with ourselves if we're going to do this.
(03-05-2011, 09:28 PM)AndyP Wrote: I've said before, I'm not worried about the talent issues. But we don't even have certainty in the where and who and we're talking about doing this in a week?

Are we really that naive to believe all of the likely questions that come with expansion will be smoothed over nicely in a week? Let's at least be honest with ourselves if we're going to do this.

From my talks with DJ, I know some of those answers.

From the sounds of it the locations will most likely be Vegas and Vancouver going in the AL and NL West and Milwaukee making the trip back to the AL Central.

In regards to "who" that is going to be voted on amongst the league, we are going to allow owners to volunteer and amongst those that I know have volunteered are Stang, Peter, Mstrpr and myself. I know there are a few other owners as well but I am not sure.
Cubs GM 2010-2021
LAA GM 2022-2035
I love expansion teams ;) ran one in TPSL. I know I am only 1 year in with the O's and I don't mind staying put, just tossing my interest out there.
My votes are for Sean and Stang

Peter to CHC and Kobie to DET
:min2: GM
(03-05-2011, 09:32 PM)GoIrish Wrote:
(03-05-2011, 09:28 PM)AndyP Wrote: I've said before, I'm not worried about the talent issues. But we don't even have certainty in the where and who and we're talking about doing this in a week?

From the sounds of it the locations will most likely be Vegas and Vancouver going in the AL and NL West and Milwaukee making the trip back to the AL Central.

In regards to "who" that is going to be voted on amongst the league, we are going to allow owners to volunteer and amongst those that I know have volunteered are Stang, Peter, Mstrpr and myself. I know there are a few other owners as well but I am not sure.

Anyone run that by Milwaukee? I mean, if I was shifting leagues I'd want more than a few days heads up, building an AL and NL team are very different. Will Seattle be impacted by Vancouver? Who are the GMs?

I get that there may be a plan in place, but no one but you and DJ seem to be familiar with it. I'm not sure Christ himself could have a good enough plan in place to have everyone happy with it in the 3-4 days you're trying to sell. There will be A LOT of questions. If this is going to succeed, I'm just going to suggest one last time that we be honest with ourselves on what that's going to entail.
(03-05-2011, 09:54 PM)AndyP Wrote:
(03-05-2011, 09:32 PM)GoIrish Wrote:

Anyone run that by Milwaukee? I mean, if I was shifting leagues I'd want more than a few days heads up, building an AL and NL team are very different. Will Seattle be impacted by Vancouver? Who are the GMs?

I get that there may be a plan in place, but no one but you and DJ seem to be familiar with it. I'm not sure Christ himself could have a good enough plan in place to have everyone happy with it in the 3-4 days you're trying to sell. There will be A LOT of questions. If this is going to succeed, I'm just going to suggest one last time that we be honest with ourselves on what that's going to entail.

I have not seen Erick on but a contingency plan if he did not want to make the move would be Pitt going to the AL Central, he has expressed an interest in that as well, however for the sake of trying to stay within the reality of what is, Milwaukee would make most sense as they did it once before.

I was told but have not run the numbers myself that Vancouver will not effect Seattle.

I addressed who the gm's would be in my prior e-mail. We are going to let owners volunteer and let the league vote on who they want to handle an expansion team.
Cubs GM 2010-2021
LAA GM 2022-2035
I think the discussion of concerns is good and they should be talked about it

in response to mikes concerns about preparing a roster in anticipation of an expansion draft. I think it is totally ludacris and totally defeats the purpose; the point is to spread out the talent, not to have a year to prepare your roster to have as few eligible players as possible. that arguement, to me, has no legs and just plainly defeats the purpose

I would honestly be pretty against pittsburgh swapping divisions after being in the national league for over a century and if milwaukee isn't the team to move i would honestly rather have two expansion teams in the same league but I believe the best solution is Milwaukee having an american league reunion

in response to the time concerns. the time it will take will effect the offseason no doubt but if expansion is going to happen it will effect it sooner or later so I don't really think that is a big impact point

I know me and Sean are on the same page and I am looking forward to Dj posting up his outline because it will have a lot of answers to what AndyP is looking at; i personally feel that the process/plan is further along than you think it is
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »